Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

PFF: Rookie CB Vernon Hargreaves III is looking like a star already

While expectations must be tempered when it comes to preseason success, there’s been a lot to like with Bucs’ rookie CB Vernon Hargreaves, and that continued last night. Hargreaves saw the most snaps he’s seen all preseason and his strong play didn’t let up at all. He was targeted just four times in 27 coverage snaps, and allowed just one reception for two yards. That reception was a check-down throw as the Bucs played soft defense on a third-and-long.

Hargreaves is our highest-graded corner this preseason, and his 0.04 yards per coverage snap allowed is far and away the league’s best mark.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-cle-tb-grades-winston-evans-hargreaves-all-star-in-bucs-win/

• The Anti-Java

Participant

I was not the biggest fan of the draft pick, but dude has won me over.

• BucsWin31

Participant

Not surprised with what i’m seeing from him, he’s a gamer!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wasn’t a huge fan of drafting him where they did. But he’s looking quite good. Lots of things to be excited about with this team right now.

• Detrimental

Participant

Knew he was stud pre-draft nothing has changed about that. He will be a #1 in this league for many, many years to come. You just won’t find many fluid CB’s like him and able to play both man and zone.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Knew he was stud pre-draft nothing has changed about that. He will be a #1 in this league for many, many years to come. You just won’t find many fluid CB’s like him and able to play both man and zone.

Agreed.  His transition to the Pros has been flawless thus far.  That doesn’t always happen for top-rated CB’s

• MUSCLE_HAMSTER

Participant

Seems like he’s the forgotten addition on this team. So much attention to our 2nd round picks and this dude is out here crushing it so far.

• Axxon

Participant

Seems like he’s the forgotten addition on this team. So much attention to our 2nd round picks and this dude is out here crushing it so far.

I think it’s great for him to be able to come in and work and not have the pressure that is normally on a first rounder. The pressures off and he’s looking good.

• RogerGoodellSucks

Participant

Had a pretty ‘meh’ reaction when I heard he was the pick, but the dude has no doubt been a stud this pre-season and is looking like an excellent pick. Seems to have a nose for the football which is something we desperately needed in the secondary. Can’t wait to watch him during the regular season.

• Bucs N Beers

Participant

I was high on Mike Evans when we drafted him. Super high on Jameis. But lukewarm on VH3. Thought he’d be a solid #2 corner, but a reach from #11 pick. But he does indeed look every bit of a solid #1 corner and playmaker. I bet the Giants will be kicking themselves for years.

• pewterblood

Participant

The armchair GM’s talking trash about the pick back after the draft are looking silly at the moment.

• LouisCarter

Participant

Early in his career at UF, VHIII was a dynamic playmaker in the secondary but seemed to take a step back his last year.  Because of this and his relatively smallish frame I was not a big fan of himbeing picked with the first pick.

But so far so good as a pro and we certainly need talent in the secondary.  Hoping the best for the kid.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

If he does ANYTHING close to what Marcus Peters did last year for the Chiefs (Possibly top 10 if not top 5  corner after just one year) I will be thrilled. I wasn’t a huge fan of the pick either honestly, but I love that he is proving me wrong thus far.

• CaptainStagger

Participant

Slow down there ladies……

a few preseason games does not mean a damn thing. Tempering expectations until I see him cover Cooks, Julio, and Benjamin.

• Twelfth White

Participant

No surprise to any of this. Let’s hope he builds on it in the regular season!

Formerly GMC 93

• Anonymous

Inactive

Slow down there ladies…… a few preseason games does not mean a damn thing.

Unless we’re talking about a kicker!

• aquilus

Participant

People were saying his last year at Florida he had a so so season

Yeah it happens when QB’s quit throwing at you

It will happen in the NFL as well….It was be “Hargreaves island”

• aquilus

Participant

Early in his career at UF, VHIII was a dynamic playmaker in the secondary but seemed to take a step back his last year. Because of this and his relatively smallish frame I was not a big fan of himbeing picked with the first pick. But so far so good as a pro and we certainly need talent in the secondary. Hoping the best for the kid.

That because for the most part the college QB’s stopped throwing at him

VH3 pretty much made names for the rest of his secondary at Florida because they got INT’s and opportunities for plays because the college QB’s wouldnt test him

• RHBucsFan

Participant

The more I see him play, the more he reminds me of Revis. He has the instincts you just can’t teach. He is a very cerebral player, completely fundamentally sound. You can see his confidence building every time he plays. Looks like Licht may have nailed another pick.

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

Slow down there ladies…… a few preseason games does not mean a damn thing. Tempering expectations until I see him cover Cooks, Julio, and Benjamin.

The only thing that would stop Julio from getting his is Matt Ryan.  Julio is a monster.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ooooh weeee is that kid like glue. Pick is growing on me exponentially. I like that I don’t hear anything about him except when he makes a play.

Best corners are the ones you don’t hear from, that get tons of minutes but very little in terms of numbers. Love it.

• BucNCane

Participant

Ooooh weeee is that kid like glue. Pick is growing on me exponentially. I like that I don’t hear anything about him except when he makes a play. Best corners are the ones you don’t hear from, that get tons of minutes but very little in terms of numbers. Love it.

Agreed. If he turns out to be special then this team will be something else.

• Defense5599

Blocked

Wasn’t a huge fan of drafting him where they did. But he’s looking quite good. Lots of things to be excited about with this team right now.

He was expected to go where he did.  A lot of media outlets had him mocked to us as he was the second best CB in the draft after Jalen Ramsey who was expected to be taken in the top five (and he was).  CB and DE were our two biggest needs heading into the draft.  The selection was a no-brainer as there wasn’t a DE anywhere on the board who would justify being taken at 11.   Hargreaves filled a huge need.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was expected to go where he did. A lot of media outlets had him mocked to us as he was the second best CB in the draft after Jalen Ramsey who was expected to be taken in the top five (and he was). CB and DE were our two biggest needs heading into the draft. The selection was a no-brainer as there wasn’t a DE anywhere on the board who would justify being taken at 11. Hargreaves filled a huge need.

Van Jalen is going to be legit.

• BucsWin31

Participant

I call him Joe Haden 2.0

• Redrum

Participant

Was a fan of the pick and so far he is looking great. Hopefully he can carry it over to the regular season.

• meekerbeastman

Participant

Hargreaves Island

• BucFanFromATL

Participant

I still like the Heargreaves <-> Honey Badger comparison… Though Heargreaves will be a much better CB in this league than Mathieu was, Mathieu is a beast at Safety tho.

I think VHIII will put up better numbers this year than Mathieu did his rookie campaign. (Which is a pretty safe bet, because Mathieu’s stats weren’t astronomical)

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.