Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Phil Simms expects Tampa Bay Buccaneers to have a big seasonsimms_zpsda61757f.gifTelevision analyst Phil Simms expects the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to have a big season a year after they went 4-12 and finished last in the NFC South, he said while appearing on CBS Sports Radio.Simms said he thinks Tampa Bay has plenty of talent, and that the team could very well come out of nowhere and have a successful season if chemistry improves.quote_zps3824e328.gifThe Buccaneers endured a tumultuous 2013 season, including the benching of starting quarterback Josh Freeman, an outbreak of MRSA at the team's facility and controversy surrounding Schiano's coaching style and relationship with players.Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik were fired after the season. The team and fanbase also had to deal with the death of longtime owner Malcolm Glazer in May.But the Bucs made several moves in the offseason. The team hired an experienced coach in Lovie Smith and signed a new quarterback in Josh McCown. The team also added defensive end Michael Johnson, offensive tackle Anthony Collins and cornerback Alterraun Verner in free agency.Smith will be attempting to lead the Buccaneers to their first playoff appearance since 2007.- Ben EstesSI.com  July 9  2014

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He did have the defense turned physically , minus an elite edge rusher .Offense needed tons of work though. The whole offensive line needed to be blown up and we needed more skill weapons . Hopefully we got that done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He did have the defense turned physically , minus an elite edge rusher .Offense needed tons of work though. The whole offensive line needed to be blown up and we needed more skill weapons . Hopefully we got that done.

All well and good but the scheme was a Flippinh nightmare so it didnt matter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lost all the TE’s, starting two RB’s,  #2 WR,  starting Pro Bowl Guard, QB goes haywire, $16 million CB playing whole season in recovery mode.    Coach Schiano cleaned up the mess as quickly as he was allowed to, “had it turned physically”, all the while having to put up with a hate-filled media with what was proven to be lies and false accusations.  Through all of that the team was not lost, and in fact became closer.    He should have been given year 3.Have ANY Hall of Fame head coach endure that for a year and tell me how the season turns out.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“all the while having to put up with a hate-filled media with what was proven to be lies and false accusations.”The media sold the fans what they wanted to hear. Truth is a standard they no longer feel obligated to maintain.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

turned? The dude sucked

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"all the while having to put up with a hate-filled media with what was proven to be lies and false accusations."The media sold the fans what they wanted to hear. Truth is a standard they no longer feel obligated to maintain.

That's always been the case with the Bucs.  The worst part is the national media starts to pick up on the local narrative because of our small market they dont want to dedicate resources to Tampa. Then the lazy stories get out there and we are "shocked" when something to the contrary actually happens. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way in hell should he have been given a third year if there were ANY other options out there. “Tampa Bay needed Greg Schiano”… Go F yourself Greg.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy didn’t deserve a 3rd season, but I do feel like the deck was stacked against him last year. As evidenced by numerous comments by players this offseason they didn’t buy into him… which in my mind means he needed to go. If it’s just a guy here and there that doesn’t buy in then let them go but I don’t think that was the case.I feel bad for the guy but he was a mediocre college coach and a poor professional coach, it was a smart move upgrading like we did. I don't think Lovie would have been around had we waited until next season. The current staff we have has me excited, I was never anything close to excited with who we've had as a coaching staff since Gruden was fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lost all the TE's, starting two RB's,  #2 WR,  starting Pro Bowl Guard, QB goes haywire, $16 million CB playing whole season in recovery mode.    Coach Schiano cleaned up the mess as quickly as he was allowed to, "had it turned physically", all the while having to put up with a hate-filled media with what was proven to be lies and false accusations.  Through all of that the team was not lost, and in fact became closer.    He should have been given year 3.Have ANY Hall of Fame head coach endure that for a year and tell me how the season turns out.

Schiano went 6-4 his first 10 games. Then 5-17 the next 22. The team he inherited was the best he had. It only got worse the longer he was around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You get exactly what you deserve in this game and Schiano has to own his 4-12 record. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn’t want to sit through another season of head scratching. I couldn’t handle more stunts or watching Revis covering Kenny Stills when the game is on the line instead of Colston. I could barely handle watching the games with all the “fire Schiano” signs and the friggin billboards across town. I was tired of the victory formation rush… I was tired of Schiano and you can’t tell me the players weren’t tired of it all too. It was time. Usually I would say 2 years isn’t enough to really get an idea of what we have in a coach but the entire fanbase was done with that guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bill Belichick list his HOF QB for practically the entire year and had to start a 7th round pick who never even started in college.  Their defense was aging and while they had Welker and Moss for WRs Sammy Morris was their starting RB and their TE was David Thomas.  Their defense and offense were dtill ranked 8th in the league And they still won 11 games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lost all the TE's, starting two RB's,  #2 WR,  starting Pro Bowl Guard, QB goes haywire, $16 million CB playing whole season in recovery mode.    Coach Schiano cleaned up the mess as quickly as he was allowed to, "had it turned physically", all the while having to put up with a hate-filled media with what was proven to be lies and false accusations.  Through all of that the team was not lost, and in fact became closer.    He should have been given year 3.Have ANY Hall of Fame head coach endure that for a year and tell me how the season turns out.

TJ Rives over the weekend flat out said Schiano was fired because the word on the street was do not go play for this a hole.  They had little choice apparently.  The culture he created was very bad.  Free agents were being told NOT to come to Tampa. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He just wasn’t nfl enough in his schemes and his approach to coaching.  Hiring a college HC has always been risky.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how good we’d have been if a qualified coach would’ve been at the helm in 2012.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder what the w/l stats are directly after a popular owner dies.

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

I wonder what the w/l stats are directly after a popular owner dies.

Meaningless BW#1...  Malcom had the fam running the show for at least a decade prior to passing.Now, on to the OP...  Gap-tooth 'had it turned' alright.  He had it turned into a P.O.S. in less than 2 seasons."Toes on the line" is great for developing youngsters into men.  Treating men like cub scouts got Schiano exactly what he deserved.Terminated.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish we could hire him as a scout/talent selection role.  I agree that he had to go because of his coaching, but I really liked his eye for talent. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t be successful if the players don’t buy in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish we could hire him as a scout/talent selection role.  I agree that he had to go because of his coaching, but I really liked his eye for talent.

Well, I wouldn't crown him for that just yet.  There was a complex pecking order in the front office when Schiano was here. Dom had complete control over the 53 man roster. Final say on everything. Which is the way it should of been for a HC in his 1st go around in the NFL. All Schiano had control over, was the 46 man game day roster. It was Schiano and Butch Davis on one side, and Dom and Hickey on the other side. People point out the Rutgers picks as proof Schiano was calling the shots. But he still would of had to clear those picks with Dom/Hickey. And even Butch Davis too. Schiano looked up to Davis, who gave him an assistant coach job with the Hurricanes way back when.When Stephen Ross was interviewing prospective GM's awhile back, before hiring Hickey.  He said something that is a classic NFL truth. All the job applicants took credit for their former teams great draft picks. And the bad picks were always someone else's fault.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

good points… maybe it was Butch’s influence… Heck, for all I know, it was Stokes- I wasn’t in the room.  One way or the other, something changed a couple of years ago and helped turn our drafts around.  Based on history, I don’t think it was Dom or Hickey.I'm encouraged by Lovie's first draft, but it's way to early to tell.  Unlike most, I really liked the Sims pick to potentially add an extra element.  I don't think he was known to have great draft success in Chicago.. especially on OL.. I hope this is an area that improved from his year of study.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“He had it turned physically.”He might need to go see a doctor.

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.