Viewing 25 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Plan Announced to Create Developmental Football LeagueBy Mike Chiari May 23  2014plans_zps2e0c5917.jpgThe NFL is usually ahead of the curve when compared to other American sports leagues, but it lags behind in terms of cultivating a minor or developmental league. That may soon be changing.According to Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com, 40-year-old sports attorney Brian Woods intends to launch a new league called the "Fall Experimental Football League" in September.Although the league has no affiliation with the NFL yet, Woods believes a future relationship makes sense for both parties:There's no mystery there needs to be a developmental league. I think the challenging part is coming up with a business model and design it properly. I've spent a lot of time researching this. I've looked closely at the NBA Developmental League and at Minor League Baseball. We've come a long way in a very short period of time. We're financially backed and ready to launch this fall.Woods says the league has some big-time investors and is already in discussion for a potential television deal. The current plan is for franchises to reside in New York, Orlando, Omaha, Portland, Boston and either Memphis or San Antonio. A six-game schedule with games taking place Wednesday nights is envisioned as well.The main idea is that young players cut prior to the NFL season would benefit from the FXFL because they could continue to ply their trade and essentially audition for NFL teams once injuries inevitably strike.There could be some skepticism since previous developmental ventures like NFL Europe have failed, but Woods is confident this will be different:That was not very cost-effective. They played in big venues, and shipped the players out (overseas). I think the best structure is a developmental league that plays in the fall, not in the spring. This again is the benefit – play on weeknights, use a cost-containment model, play in minor league baseball venues.The FXFL has already caught the eye of several people within the pro football business, including NFL.com's Ian Rapoport:42409a4e-1738-49b1-b2ed-805fdae01571_zpsc4aedba9.gifGerry DiNardo of the Big Ten Network stressed the importance of such a league to help players who go undrafted:0b5c5dbd-593b-43b4-8c82-c1486c146d07_zpsb1728e37.gifPlayer development would be the main benefit, but a developmental league would also allow the NFL to test out rule changes before actually enacting them.According to Grossi, Woods is considering a number of innovative changes such as different point-after-touchdown rules and the elimination of punts.The NHL was successful in testing shootouts and new icing rules in the American Hockey League before ultimately adopting them, and the NFL would be wise to try something similar.It would behoove the NFL to sit back and see how the FXFL plays out initially in order to determine whether it fits with its business model, but the concept itself makes a lot of sense.Current players who get released are forced to go to leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League, and it then becomes difficult for NFL teams to evaluate them.While the FXFL has a long way to go before it launches and becomes sustainable, there is reason to believe it would be a huge success with NFL backing.c8ab5131-de81-4870-af40-4c7222a9cadf_zps418ca766.gifhttp://bleacherreport.com/articles/2073256-plan-announced-to-create-developmental-football-league#articles/2073256-plan-announced-to-create-developmental-football-league

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The more football, the better IMO :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could a 18 year old try out for this league in lieu of going to college like in baseball and hockey?  Not everyone is cut out for college.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could a 18 year old try out for this league in lieu of going to college like in baseball and hockey?  Not everyone is cut out for college.

I've thought about that often. Universities used to be where the best and brightest (and richest) went to become scholars. Then the GI bill changed the public perception of having a degree and you got these athletes that I could never imagine writing research papers that are getting degrees.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This makes sense and with potential changes coming to the college program due to the possibility of Unionization, this could work. I never felt that NFLE was a good solution, but this *could be*. Only issue that I see is that the players would be playing on Wednesday during the season and when injuries do happen at the pro level, the potential player could be tired or himself banged up from just playing a game and not be an immediate help.I really like the idea though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This has the potential to be amazing.A fuck load of MORE money for the NFL (eventually) and MORE football for us! We'd have a team not too far from us (Tampa Bay residence) in Orlando. Nice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a bad idea. I hope the guy has enough money to keep it afloat for awhile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This makes sense and with potential changes coming to the college program due to the possibility of Unionization, this could work. I never felt that NFLE was a good solution, but this *could be*. Only issue that I see is that the players would be playing on Wednesday during the season and when injuries do happen at the pro level, the potential player could be tired or himself banged up from just playing a game and not be an immediate help.I really like the idea though.

Seeing as they would need to learn a new playbook and probably schematic nuances, they were probably not going to be an immediate help anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a shitbox idea that would only screw up college football which is a superior product to the NFL in my opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seeing as they would need to learn a new playbook and probably schematic nuances, they were probably not going to be an immediate help anyway.

Your right for skilled positions but even during the season I've seen offensive/defensive linemen come in off the waiver wire or street and play. Hell, Testaverte came off the couch and played quarterback against us and won one year. Of course he was familiar with the playbook, but still wasn't under contract with the Jets at the start of the season, so players that were with a team in the pre-season would still have some familiarity if they were called back by the team that cut them. But I concede your point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's a **CENSORED**box idea that would only screw up college football which is a superior product to the NFL in my opinion.

College ball is going to change over the next few years, the courts have given the college players the leverage they needed to get compensation for playing ball. I wouldn't be surprised if colleges then started charging the NFL to draft their players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its not a choice between college ball and this development league.  There is plenty of room for both. This fills a gap where you graduated college but were not drafted, or you may have never went to college at all. There are scores and scores of guys who don’t get drafted, but would love to continue to play ball with hopes they make it to the big show later on. As we all have seen, some damn fine players have gone undrafted, only to surface later as bona fide NFL stars.My dad just spent over a week, working the phones 24/7, trying to get players tryouts with NFL teams.  Its not easy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems like I read this same article every 2 or 3 years

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why Portland? Just seriously adds to travel expense from Portland to Boston, NY and Orlando.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Absolutely needs to be one , and it needs to be backed by the NFL so it can survive.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a great idea. Maybe they can set it up in Europe to get the NFL some exposure before they bring the NFL teams there. Can’t believe nobody thought of it before.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why Portland? Just seriously adds to travel expense from Portland to Boston, NY and Orlando.

Good point. But they may need a west coast team for players living out that way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Arena ball is just goofy IMO.  I’d much prefer to watch real football, even with a few twists.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i don’t think it should be in the fall though.. You’ve already got NFL, College, High School, Pop Warner. Adding a developmental league is A LOT of football.  I think running it from march or April until August would be better.  The 6 game schedule as they proposed. Start June and you’re done by training camp. Gives undrafted players a chance to show what they can do. Lets you send a player “down” to get some work before training camp begins.  Players with injuries could get some game reps before the season begins. etc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is where they’re planning on breaking out the tutu’s....gotta get them ready for the flag football league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s a reason this is being played in the fall, unlike leagues in the past. Although the article doesn’t come out and say it, this league has lot of backing by the NFL from the feet up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good point. But they may need a west coast team for players living out that way.

My guess is just how well that area supports sports in general. If they can sell out women's soccer, you hope maybe they'll have an interest in minor league football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My guess is just how well that area supports sports in general. If they can sell out women's soccer, you hope maybe they'll have an interest in minor league football.

Plus a farm league has to be coast to coast right?

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Arena ball is just goofy IMO.  I'd much prefer to watch real football, even with a few twists.

No defense and no running game in Arena . It's why it sucks.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Do I have to wait until one of the players is arrested to start making jokes about the developmental league?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL should buy the CFL and AFL and have two divisions. They should also revisit NFL Europe and expand the brand on a world wide basis.

Please wait…

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.