Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Hate

Participant

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpgPolice commissioner asked to quit over Obama slurPolitical leaders in a predominantly white New Hampshire town have officially joined residents in demanding the resignation of a police commissioner who uttered a racial slur about President Barack Obama.Wolfeboro Town Manager David Owen posted a message Friday on the town's website calling on Robert Copeland to resign the post to which he was re-elected in March. In the post, Owen said Copeland's comments are "appalling" and called on him to save the town further embarrassment.State and local officials say they've gotten complaints from as far away as California from people upset about the comments, some of whom have threatened to cancel vacations to New Hampshire.The vice chairwoman of the town's Board of Selectmen also pushed Copeland to step down."I know there are people trying to convince him to resign, but he seems entrenched in his position," said Sarah Silk. "He could stop this runaway train."More than 100 residents packed a Police Commission meeting Thursday to demand the resignation of Copeland, 82.About 20 black people live in Wolfeboro, a town of 6,300 in central New Hampshire, a state that's 94 percent white and 1 percent black. None of the police department's 12 full-time officers is black or a member of another minority.A resident said she overheard Copeland use a slur a restaurant in March and wrote to the town manager. Copeland, in an email to her, acknowledged using the slur in referring to the president and said he will not apologize."I believe I did use the 'N' word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse," Copeland said in an email to his fellow police commissioners. "For this, I do not apologize - he meets and exceeds my criteria for such."Officials say resignation is the only way to get Copeland out of office before his three-year term expires. New Hampshire has no recall provision for elected officials.Wolfeboro Police Commission Chairman Joseph Balboni said at the close of Thursday's meeting that the three commissioners would meet privately in the near future to "solve the problem" but that no date has been set.Experts on the state's open meeting law differ on whether such a meeting would have to be conducted in public.Wolfeboro's town counsel, Mark Puffer, would not comment Friday on whether the commission could meet privately.http://news.msn.com/us/police-commissioner-asked-to-quit-over-obama-slur#tscptmfThough racism will never end, so much of it will die with his generation. Can't wait!!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wolfeboro is called Americas first summer resort.    Lot of money. That’s where Romneys lake house is btw.  My wife’s brother’s wife’s family has a lake cottage about 3 miles outside of town.  Just a seasonal cabin but it’s worth about a half million.  Spend every Labor Day weekend there.  Would love to live there.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Time and understanding march on

• Anonymous

Inactive

E485ED9E-5C50-4A0B-8985-D30DBF3FDE26_zpsaxr6o7ts.pngEAB41F75-92E5-4D43-BA53-AE6819AB83C3_zpsqmekbuhh.pngLooks like he's doing a good job.  Low crime.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Time and understanding march on ….for some.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Plenty reasons to criticize the president.  But moronic bigots resort to name calling. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Though racism will never end, so much of it will die with his generation. Can't wait!!!

I wish that was true, I meet as many young racist, as old.That is probably S&B in that news story, that is his stomping grounds.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love it! Between Bundy, Sterling, Limbo, and this idiot, they are pushing racism from the dark closet to the open light so it can be dealt with accordingly.They're helping us all evolve past this cave man state and don't even know it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Though racism will never end, so much of it will die with his generation. Can't wait!!!

I wish that was true, I meet as many young racist, as old.

I'm not naive to the fact that it exists....but other than here, i don't encounter is as much amongst the younger generation.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jay-Z_07-10-2013.jpg

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jay-Z_07-10-2013.jpg

You wish you had his bank account.  You better be careful, Solange will track you down and beat the hell out of you.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jay-Z_07-10-2013.jpg

You wish you had his bank account.  You better be careful, Solange will track you down and beat the hell out of you.

I think Java was pointing out the fact that Jay-Z is racist.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not naive to the fact that it exists....but other than here, i don't encounter is as much amongst the younger generation.

I encounter quite a few racists from the younger generation from all races/religions. Plenty of young hispanic, white and black folks are racist towards each other.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Got to hand it to the old coot, he freely admits he said it, refuses to apologize, and there ain’t a damn thing the city can do about it except pressure him to resign.  He might not be politically correct but you got to respect someone that stands by their guns.  The greatest generation for damn sure.  Guys like him are why we won WWII.

• bigbucsfan

Participant

Got to hand it to the old coot, he freely admits he said it, refuses to apologize, and there ain't a damn thing the city can do about it except pressure him to resign.  He might not be politically correct but you got to respect someone that stands by their guns.  The greatest generation for damn sure.  Guys like him are why we won WWII.

He's from an era where men in this country had principles.    I agree with you, you got to hand it to him.    This country needs more men like him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Got to hand it to the old coot, he freely admits he said it, refuses to apologize, and there ain't a damn thing the city can do about it except pressure him to resign.  He might not be politically correct but you got to respect someone that stands by their guns.  The greatest generation for damn sure.  Guys like him are why we won WWII.

I agree with the bolded portion....HATE when someone says something then apologizes for their 'mistake' due to public pressure. Having said that, he's an ignorant f*ck that hopefully will be gone soon.

• Anonymous

Inactive

oh well . . The New Hampshire police commissioner who called President Obama the "n-word" has resigned, a local official confirms to CNN[img]http://cnnpoliticalticker.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/copeland-resignation-letter-1.jpg?w=300&h=176[/img]

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’ll good for him for doing what was in his community’s best interest.  Wolfeboro’s economy is based in tourism and they don’t need people boycotting them.  Stand up guy.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We'll good for him for doing what was in his community's best interest.  Wolfeboro's economy is based in tourism and they don't need people boycotting them.  Stand up guy.

I kinda get your point but not to the point in which you seem to celebrating his virtues. It shouldn't overshadow what he said.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.