Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Id love shaq back. It is seeming less and less likely he is back, unfortunately.

As much of a force that he was, with and without Vea made a huge difference. Teams had to use 3 even 4 O lineman to block suh + vea.

Edge is still my top choice @ 32. Someone solid we can develop will be there, but likely wont have the impact of shaq at least as a rookie.

Even if we go edge @32, JJ Watt is my top choice, bar none. Will be a team friendly deal & allow us to re-sign other impending FAs(just like if we bring in someone like AJ Green or Fitz)

I see Watt going to 1 of 3 teams. Us, Pitt to play with his brothers, or Green Bay, where he went to school.

Chicago is a dark horse due to his wife, but i doubt it.

• JC5100

Participant

Leonard Floyd, Haason Reddick, Romeo Okwara

• leeroybuc93

Participant

Why do you think it’s less and less likely? He said he wants to break the bank. Everyone wants that, but we don’t know what that means to him. I say he’s worth it either way. Franchise him again if need be. As it stands, we have one more year with Brady. Go all out.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Due to us having 28 mil atm. Godwin, suh, lvd, gronk, ab, fournette, shaq. Too many big names.

Again id love him back, but he can get more $ else where.

• Swash

Participant

Godwin much likelier to get franchise tag than Barrett. Because Shaq got tagged last year his number accelerates a good bit in a 2nd tagged year.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

JJ Watt would be a logical replacement, but seeing as he’s getting hurt more often, if you sign him to replace Shaq, you have to go edge rusher in round 1.

• KyBucfan51

Participant

Finally found a guy that can rush the passer and fans want to let him go. Having Barrett and Vea provide the best Bucs duo since Sapp and Rice no reason to ruin it.

• JC5100

Participant

Except all that pesky data showing pass rushers who only produce in contract years revert back to non-contract year production when paid.

• buc-in-out

Participant

What do you have to say about Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, Aaron Donald, Von Miller, etc who have all produced after signing their big pay day contracts?

• JC5100

Participant

They had production in non-contract years prior to signing extensions.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

There is no Shaq replacement. He is bar none the #1 most important player we bring back next season. We absolutely have to get it done.

Need I remind those that list potential “Shaq replacements” of the 10 year period we tried to replace Simeon Rice? These types of players are not abundant.

• JC5100

Participant

You replace Barrett the same way you found him. Find a young player with + traits and let him play on a 1 year deal in a good system with a good secondary and Vea inside.

You replace Barrett long term by stop passing on edge rushers like Leonard Floyd and Josh Allen.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

It is foolish to think there is a Shaq replacement.

Anyhow, I’ve been watching a lot of defensive Super Bowl video breakdowns and the one common thread why we won on defense was our pass rush. If we didn’t have a pass rush, then Mahomes would have found the open receiver often. Yes, our secondary does a great job initially, but then you see where receivers do get open and the reason why Mahomes doesn’t target them is because he is already in hot pursuit from our pass rushers, usually it’s Shaq high on his tail. But we need our edges back, JPP and Shaq. Although Suh will be difficult to replace, he might be the most optimal out of Shaq, JPP, and Suh to replace without seeing a huge drop off in play.

It’s imperative to keep Shaq.

• JC5100

Participant

It’s foolish to think you can replace an undrafted pass rusher, who has 1 season of double digit sacks in 7 years, that we originally signed for 1 year, $5M? Listen to what you’re saying.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Come on JC, you know Shaq isn’t the same commodity he was 2 off-seasons ago. His numbers the last 2 years are league leading.

• Jed

Participant

Before he came here he was a backup to Miller in Denver. Never got the chance to play full-time there like he did here.

• JC5100

Participant

Do you believe 1. they really found a Hall of Fame caliber player on the scrap heap or 2.they found a player with good traits that fit Bowles defense, put him around good interior players that push the pocket and he was motivated by playing for a long term, life changing contract.

The answer is overwhelmingly #2

• buc_boi

Participant

Agreed, shaq isnt replaceable.

Isn’t there usually another poster who does these types of topics?

Haven’t seen them in quite some time, figured being such huge Bucs fans they’d at least show up to enjoy the Super Bowl victory… yet they haven’t, weird.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Denver may cut Von, they have about a month to decide. He may not be healthy enough to consider though.

• Bucman

Participant

Look at Shaqs numbers with and without Vea it’s massively different like 110% better rush rate with Vea in.
      Shaq is more replaceable than you think

• buc-in-out

Participant

^He had 97 pressures, 2nd most in the league to Aaron Donald’s 105. NO ONE else in the league had more then 75!
      Joey Bosa, Myles Garrett, Khalil Mack, TJ Watt, Chase Young… none of those guys even sniffed Shaq’s pressure numbers.

Had Vea played all year, Shaq would have finished with 13-14 sacks EASY.

LOL @ JC wondering why he wasn’t a starter in Denver. The 2 starters were 2 HOF players in Demarcus Ware and Von Miller, idiot.

• SwarmingDefense

Participant

This^^^

Measuring edge rushers by sacks is silly JC.

Shaq turned it on clutch when we really needed it and sacked/pressured some of the hardest in the league.

To think he is easily replaceable is dumb.

And I can’t stand people whining for the next eight years like they did with Michael Bennett.

“Pay the man his money”

I think he ultimately does take less, and surprisingly I think it has to do with his friendship with JPP.

But no one goes into a negotiation and says I’ll take whatever bargain deal they give me. When negotiating you usually start with your highest number and work down LOL. His negotiating starting point is *breaking the bank* but I bet he takes less

Fournette is as good as gone. He has his ring and now he will get paid to be the lead back he wants to be.

• JC5100

Participant

Some of the worst contracts in the league are pass rushers not on their original teams. Dee Ford, Trey Flowers, Dante Fowler, Frank Clark.

Even Mack is debatable if it was worth it.

• JC5100

Participant

I wish we could bring up the old Haynesworth and Ray Edwards threads. It’s literally word for word the same arguments for handing these contract year wonders $100M

• buc-in-out

Participant

Dude, we get it you’re trying to save face to prove you’re right on the internet to a bunch of strangers, even after Shaq nearly single handedly won us the SB on his own. He had 10 pressures on Mahomes. TEN.
      <p>Your take on not re-signing arguably the most important player on the defense AFTER WINNING THE SUPERBOWL ON HIS BACK is astonishing.

We’re in WIN NOW mode, Brady is going to be 44 years old. You wanna let go of a premiere pass rusher who wants to be here so we can save $2 million on the cap? Spend every fucking penny to bring back the whole defense in tact.

We’re not the Jets or Jaguars here. When Brady’s gone, we’re back to mediocre for a while… GO ALL IN again for the repeat.

I get your point, there are players who get paid and sit on their ass.. but no one’s expecting Shaq to get a Khalil Mack type deal at 28 years old. He’s going to get a 4 year deal at ~$19-20 million a year with incentives, with plenty of bonus money up front to keep his cap number down, and we’ll be able to cut him for free in 3 years.

• JC5100

Participant

Everybody was eating in the Super Bowl. In 3 snaps Cam Gill had a sack and drew a holding call. Barrett had a great game but it wasn’t exactly Simeon Rice running around Tra Thomas.

And why does the team have to stink after Brady leaves?

• Swash

Participant

The young core of this team is extremely good. I wouldn’t presume we’d be pretty mediocre even with Brady gone if we bring in a viable option at quarterback.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I don’t get the fascination with JJ Watt.

• SaskBucs

Participant

I get what JC is saying and it makes some sense but I agree with the other guys.

Bucs know what they have in Shaq. Vea isn’t going anywhere so we know Shaq can produce.

Bucs gotta go all out for the back to back with Brady. People gotta remember that the cap can be manipulated a lot. The Bucs can afford all these guys by going into their 2022 cap which they currently have a ton of space. I understand that’s with no QB on the books. That’s a reason why the Bucs might be mediocre after Brady but does anyone here wanna make the playoffs for the next 6 years with no SB win? Or spend a lot of dough and have no regrets about what could have been done to win another one? No brainer. There’s a bigger piece of NFL history out there to be had.

• Swash

Participant

Shaq is an extremely valuable piece to this defense. BUT he’s going to have to take a slightly below market value to come back, which I think is a possibility. We will see. The good news is the Bucs have been brilliant managing the cap for years and now have a great amount of flexibility to free up room with some extensions/restructures/trades. It’ll be an eventful offseason.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.