Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• NotDeadYet

Participant

In the good ol’ days of the NFL, there was no Practice Squad as we have today. The Taxi Squad was very similar, with one big difference; the team owned the rights to the player as long as he was willing to sign on. The Practice Squad is much more player-friendly in that from an NFL perspective, they are all still free agents and may sign an NFL contract with ANY team during the season. Today a team CANNOT transfer one of their players directly onto their practice squad without releasing him first. This gives every other team a chance to claim him. If he IS claimed, he CANNOT be put directly on the claiming team's practice squad. He MUST be given a full NFL contract, where it counts against their salary cap. This I think is a GREAT rule for the players and gives them the best chance to get on an NFL roster.        The rule I'd like to see in place is any player not under an NFL contract may sign a practice squad contract. Period. I am very much in favor of eliminating the Practice Squad player limit and eliminating the rules disallowing players with "x" amout of games/years on an NFL roster. I think any person a team is willing to pay wages to that wants to prep for an NFL career should be allowed to participate.     Maybe a rule stating "at least 8 of each team's practice squad players need to fit under the current eligibility rule" would satisfy the NFL's desire to bring in more young players, preventing just stashing older vets on the practice squad, which often was done in the old Taxi Squad days, Comments?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree. Always thought that the limit favored rookies at the cost of vets. If I was part of the NFLPA, I’d be lobbying for it to change. I also would like to see it expand to 11-12 players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know how to stop it and still be fair to the player… but, poaching the p-squad always irked me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

CJ, the team that is getting their player ‘poached’ does have the option of moving that player immediately to their roster which is the same thing that the poaching team has to do. That’s about as fair as it can be and still be fair to the player trying to get to a team roster. Fans may not always like it, but it’s really not a bad system. It is a system that could use a few tweaks though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, it’s not like the teams have a right of first refusal…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the NFL’s thinking on their Practice Squad rules was to keep a steady flow of young players getting onto rosters. However, having a team limit, combined with their desire to keep young guys on the Practice squad, squeezed some older players completely out of the NFL. Getting rid of the player limit and stipulating the first 8 players on each Practice Squad need to be guys never on an NFL roster or with very limited time there would eliminate that issue. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL should raise the roster limit to 55 and let all the players be active on game day. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL has gotten so specialized; heck, the roster used to be 40! I do agree this Inactive player’s list on gameday is kinda hokey; not at all sure what the NFL’s purpose for that is, although I have an idea.     I think as the season grew from 12, to 14, then 16 games, injuries became a bigger factor, so the roster was expanded. Then the oddsmakers complained about not knowing who would play on gameday, so the Inactive list was born. Kinda makes sense...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe a better system would be to raise the salary cap and expand it to cover all players, including p-squad?  A team that poaches a player buys the cap hit and the team that loses the player gets credit for the player they lost…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a bad idea, CJ. I’d like to see one overall salary cap with NO roster limit, but I doubt we ever see it. Having both a roster limit and a salary cap seems like overkill to me, unless I’m missing something…    I'd add that the bottom "xx" number of players on the unlimited roster are "poachable".     Despite being a devout Capitalist, I think the salary cap was a good idea, as it's just part of doing business within the NFL fraternity. It unquestionably created better parity throughout the NFL, which encourages most fans to buy tickets. I need look no further than the NBA to see how NOT to run a Pro sports league...   

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.