Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 25 reply threads

• Author

• BP1

Participant

Here is my take from today’s speeches. Only way to change things in Cuba is to cut off the head of the snake.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Raul Castro is an imbecile! Here is the proof:Castro denied that Cuba imprisons political dissidents. “Give me a list and I’ll release them,” he angrily answered a question. “If we have those political prisoners they will be released before tonight ends.”He also warned against efforts to foment dissent or encourage democracy: “No one should demand the Cuban people renounce their freedom and sovereignty.”Castro vocally criticized the US’s record on human rights and defended Cuba’s. He noted that Cuba ensures free healthcare and education and equal pay for women.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Set them free Snake Castro!Cuba's Political Prisoner ListCeG-Z2zWEAA2Yz0.jpgCeGWya1WAAAD43I.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Politicians will not step in to resolve the issue BP-1, not the Democrats nor the Republicans.  If ever there was a government in need of an enema it is the one we are currently stuck with.  Great design, crappy components.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Politicians will not step in to resolve the issue BP-1, not the Democrats nor the Republicans.  If ever there was a government in need of an enema it is the one we are currently stuck with.  Great design, crappy components.

agree generally, but would say "great concept, poor design, worse components"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He noted that Cuba ensures free healthcare and education and equal pay for women.

An equal share of nothing is not much to brag about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What would you say makes it a poor design?

Please wait…

• rpratto

Participant

Just sent a contingent of troops over there and clean out the joint. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The counterbalance to representative democracy was the vote, but there are few tools as useless as a vote, unless aggregated. As a result, the government is run by career politicians (with terms, no less) beholding to large aggregated interests. It's government for the "squeaky wheel." The loser in the process is the "voter."Madison was right about factions, wrong about the impact representative democracy would have on them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Richard Licker” odumpster STILL couldn’t call out the bad group in Brussels by their overall name…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The counterbalance to representative democracy was the vote, but there are few tools as useless as a vote, unless aggregated. As a result, the government is run by career politicians (with terms, no less) beholding to large aggregated interests. It's government for the "squeaky wheel." The loser in the process is the "voter."Madison was right about factions, wrong about the impact representative democracy would have on them.

I would say an imperfect design, but hardly a poor design.  Just as Liberty requires a just and moral people as a whole, capable of self monitoring for it to function; our political structure requires a motivated and engaged public for it to function at its premium.  Freedom is not for the lazy, and far too many Americans have become exactly that.  I can not blame the structure of the game of football if the officials simply ignore their duties and refuse to enforce the rules that govern the game.  The rules and structure are sound, but the balance is lost when a body becomes too lazy to take their duties seriously or too easily bribed by pork funded by their own taxes.The system has not failed us, we have failed the system.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On a related not to this thread, did anyone see that weird clip of Castro holding up the oddly limp arm of Obama's?  That was creepy...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

B.O.: Pen is Wrinkle!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would say an imperfect design, but hardly a poor design.  Just as Liberty requires a just and moral people as a whole, capable of self monitoring for it to function; our political structure requires a motivated and engaged public for it to function at its premium.  Freedom is not for the lazy, and far too many Americans have become exactly that.  I can not blame the structure of the game of football if the officials simply ignore their duties and refuse to enforce the rules that govern the game.  The rules and structure are sound, but the balance is lost when a body becomes too lazy to take their duties seriously or too easily bribed by pork funded by their own taxes.The system has not failed us, we have failed the system.

I like imperfect design better. That's a better description I also agree with you about Americans but not necessarily that citizens are to blame, at least not entirely. What purpose does a "representative" democracy serve if not to have representatives looking out for citizens? Fair point to says citizens are apathetic but query whether that is cause or result of imperfection?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like imperfect design better. That's a better description I also agree with you about Americans but not necessarily that citizens are to blame, at least not entirely. What purpose does a "representative" democracy serve if not to have representatives looking out for citizens? Fair point to says citizens are apathetic but query whether that is cause or result of imperfection?

The obvious beauty of a representative government is that if frees us from the tyranny of a unshackled democracy.  It works by allowing us to elect an "adult" in the room who serves the people not by giving us what a poll indicates a  majority of people want at that moment, but rather what is best for the people.  The electorate has the benefit of hindsight to judge the performance of the representatives based on how their actions affected their nation.Imperfection is not the cause if our apathy.  I would argue, if anything, that its success has caused the lion's share of it.  Our nation and her voters have grown quite fat and content from the fruits of success this experiment has reaped.  We are easily distracted, demand instant satisfaction, and are bought cheaply with no thought of tomorrow. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The obvious beauty of a representative government is that if frees us from the tyranny of a unshackled democracy.  It works by allowing us to elect an "adult" in the room who serves the people not by giving us what a poll indicates a  majority of people want at that moment, but rather what is best for the people.  The electorate has the benefit of hindsight to judge the performance of the representatives based on how their actions affected their nation.Imperfection is not the cause if our apathy.  I would argue, if anything, that its success has caused the lion's share of it.  Our nation and her voters have grown quite fat and content from the fruits of success this experiment has reaped.  We are easily distracted, demand instant satisfaction, and are bought cheaply with no thought of tomorrow.

you make very good points. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I think our views are very similar. For example, I agree that it would have been a better choice for me to say, as you do, that the government has an imperfect design rather than a poor design. To be sure, it is the best system out there and has resulted in far more good than bad.I also agree with your comments about the electorate.  We are surely "easily distracted, demand instant satisfaction, and are bought cheaply with no thought of tomorrow."I think the only place we part ways is that you seem to attribute the "imperfection" to the lazy voters whereas I attribute it to that as well, but also to the so-called representatives.  The voter has always been in need of adults, that is the point of a representative democracy, and as "lazy" as the voter may be these days, perhaps drunken from all that success, it should not take near super human effort by the voters to get the representative to represent the voter's interests over their own.  As you likely know, the voters tried to reign in their "representatives' through term limits, only to get sued by their own so-called representatives.  The voters tried to reign in their representatives through campaign finance reform, only to get sued again. Prescription drug price have been absurd in this county (alone) for years because the voters' co-called representatives actually represent themselves over the voters by siding with money from drug lobbyist. The national debt has been an issue forever. It was the subject of intense discussion in the 80s . . . its only worse now.The system of checks and balances has probably done a good job to protect us all from tyranny and even a fair job in keeping the government from pitching to and fro with every whim, but the "check" that was supposed to "balance" the representative was the "vote."  The vote is almost meaningless, as illustrated by the lawsuits I mentioned above and by the fact that incumbents are so rarely unseated. Anyway, good discussion. Thanks for the thoughts

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Louie Tiant throwing out the first pitch, and Obama doing the wave. Good stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Louie Tiant throwing out the first pitch, and Obama doing the wave. Good stuff.

Next stops: Buddy in North Korea; pal in Iran. Good stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think if we were to look back to see what the goals were when the writing of the Constitution, Bill of Rights and subsequent efforts of both Jefferson and Monroe the intent was achieved.  This went further in the design of the government when the intent to create 3 separate and equal elements became the framework of the government.  The American efforts were not created or aimed to be a smoothly running homogenous effort.  It was designed to protect the citizenry from the governments and rulers that were experienced around the world.  Allowing the citizenry to remove and replace representatives, to elect the leaders, and a court that would (hopefully) be above the political parties in their adherence to the founding documents was the protection from government that was being sought.  And since then we have repeatedly we have seen efforts to expand the very government that was originally sought.  In other words, this is supposed to be hard.  Americans should not gleefully become followers of political parties, but rather be the people who stand up and say their piece, while making the right choices about the governing of this country.  Just a few thoughts.  And yes, the founders did a helluva a job. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Allowing the citizenry to remove a replace representative”Congress has 15% approval rates, 96% re-election ratesRepresentatives sued voters who voted to limit terms and campaign money Gerrymandering is an actual word. Representatives and voters are adverse, not aligned.Imperfect

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Odumpster should be HOME– showing solidarity for Belgium, and against Islam terrorists.Instead, It speaks for 51 seconds & continues It's vacation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Honestly, I believe Obama has done just about everything he intends to insofar as public reaction ChronicHotAir. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

#Tango4Brussels#Foxtrot4Brussels"Thanks, Obummer."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is my take from today's speeches. Only way to change things in Cuba is to cut off the head of the snake.

Yeah...but it's ok to do business with these guys...ChinaRussiaVietnamSaudi ArabiaEgyptAfghanistanPakistanyou're funny...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is my take from today's speeches. Only way to change things in Cuba is to cut off the head of the snake.

Yeah...but it's ok to do business with these guys...ChinaRussiaVietnamSaudi ArabiaEgyptAfghanistanPakistanyou're funny...

I don't have family in those countries.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

The way to win hearts and minds and destroy the Castro Clutch is easy……….bulldoze Gitmo......we can establish a bast in south florida......then when Gitmo is cleared and hauled away........we build the biggest and baddest water park the world has ever seen!WaterBoard ParkObamaNationFreedomSlideMaroonedLagoon

Please wait…

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.