Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 6 reply threads

• Author

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

I know they’re both maulers. Ragnow has played center his entire collegiate career (I think) and Price played guard for several years before being converted to center (I think). If we take James, Chubb, or Barkley in the 1st we could land one of the these two in the 2nd.

The question is who’s the better guard?

• Graham

Participant

Ragnow May have elevated himself into the first round.

I’m hoping for Nelson and a corner in round 2.

• Nobody

Participant

They both played plenty of snaps at Guard and played it well. While Price is a good player, (a medically checked out) Ragnow is one of the best interior line players in the last many years in college football.

Also, neither is a mauler. They’re both very physically capable, but you wouldn’t put them in the Nelson/Hernandez classification of outright “people mover”. Ragnow has no holes in his game. The thing that he does so well in the run game is that he just doesn’t have negative plays. He doesn’t kill people, but he generates + run plays constantly (hence why his PFF grades were historically high). A lot of guys will have a great play here, a good play there, an ok play here, a good play there, then an outright loss. Ragnow is freakishly consistent; good play, good play, good play, good play, good play, great play. Generating a stray dominating play now and again but also losing now and again is not as good as “good > good > good”. He understands angles, he understands play concepts, he understands leverage, and he has the play strength and agility to get where he needs to be (or outleverage the other guy) and seal him off or hinder him enough to win. Over and over.

And his pass protection is legendary.

Jensen won’t be our Center forever. Draft Ragnow, let him play Guard until Jensen is gone, then you have a top tier Center for many years.

This is all assuming Nelson isn’t there at 7, of course.

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

Thanks, Nobody.

How would you rank the guards in this draft?

1. Nelson
      2. Wynn
      3. Hernandez
      4. Ragnow
      5. Price

???

• Nobody

Participant

No problem Brooks Dunn-Winston

I’m going to put this in terms of value to the Bucs and I’m only going to do those top 4 you mentioned (because there is a healthy drop-off after that I think, just like there is a healthy drop-off after Nelson).

1. Nelson – Its not really that close here to be honest. Nelson isn’t just an utter dominator in the Man run game (but his ability to move people at the PoA is absurd…and his ability to combo block at PoA and get 2nd level, find, win is also absurd). He is a technician who has freakish play strength and really hasn’t even hit his ceiling with his play strength (because he sometimes has imprecise hand position on run plays…yet he still wins in an overwhelming fashion). He also moves fluidly and well for his size so he is more than adequate in Zone and Gap. His Quick Set and stone people in Pass Pro is unreal. His spatial awareness, concept understanding, want-to, and tenaciousness/aggression are all also utter top notch.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down here…

2a and 2b are Ragnow and Wynn. Pick who you like here. I like Ragnow as a, but maybe you like Wynn as a (as much as anything because Ragnow has actually played Guard at a high level in college; see last year’s game against Alabama’s formidable front and he was stellar). They both have great value because they can (a) play Guard right now then (b) supplant a starter in a few years (Wynn kicking to RT if he shows he can displace 5 technique DEs at the NFL level, whereas Ragnow can be depth at Center right now and be a likely All Pro candidate there in a few years). I talked about Ragnow above, so won’t repeat. Wynn plays with really great technique, is a knee-bender, a fluid-mover, has great balance over his base and when moving laterally or in space.

3. Hernandez – I like him less than others. His play strength, base, and bulk are all obscene as we know. But he has short arms and shows a tendency towards sloppiness with technique (movement quirks and tendencies, hand placement, and pad level/head position inconsistency) that I think may get him into trouble at the next level.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Ragnow

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

Ragnow is going to be a stud.

• superselmon

Participant

Think we would have to trade up to the bottom of the first for Ragnow. Fits what we like to do, move everybody out of their comfort position. No way unless he falls to our second round pick, fat chance of that happening. Take him over Price everyday and sunday.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.