Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston was not good throwing the ball tonight. I didn’t think he would be subject to jitters as he has seen bigger stages with more to lose on the line, but he was a little rattled.  However, that will fade quickly, as his ego will easily carry him on the big stage soon enough. However, he was wildly inaccurate. Why?  Partly because of the jitters. First game stuff. He demonstrated that elongated delivery again, and it seemed to have gotten worse. Like he was slipping into old habits, very very bad habits. It was even mentioned by a sideline commentator during the game, and that was before I grumbled about the mechanical issues. He is going Byron Lefty on us, and that is not good at all. He needs to compact that release, and get it out his hands at a faster rate. That delivery will assure that he will be a middling QB, like Byron Lefty (ironically a team rah-rah guy like Winston). He runs and slides face first. That is on him.  Game 1 preseason or not, these guys are trying to make rosters and will not hesitate to destroy Winston if he keeps that crap up. He needs to stick to his coaching. His Offensive line is offensive. Those guys are going to get him killed. Martin, svelte or not, is going to get murdered. Physically, they are just weak at the point, and nothing has changed in that  regard. Nothing. It takes time to gel, but 1v1, a lot of these guys are getting whipped. And GG still can't snap a football to save his life. He is a big bearded tool. He sucks. And Don Smith looked like a slow blob. They desperately need to stop listening to Warhop and his brand of coaching, even override Lovie on some o-line stuff, and let Licht drag some guys in. Clearly, Lovie and War know nothing about how to make great O-lines. They overrate their ability to coach up inferior players into marginal ones. Sign some vets.Evan Smith and Gilkey are turds. He doesn't even deserve to wear a Bucs uniform. Smith needs to plug in at guard. Losing Dotson hurts a lot, because he is the best of the lousy lot. Jameis will develop deer in headlights syndrome. This HAS to get fixed. Lovie is a fool for not seeing this. Jameis will throw a ton of picks. His mechanical issues are coming back and he looked...well...bad. Even with good blocking at times and big time wideouts, he looked like his ceilin will be average. He needs to receive better blocking. He needs to tighten up that release, the ball didn't look good floating through the air at times either. Overall, yes, it is preseason game 1. I get it. But these are just very early observations, and I am getting bad bad Byron Lefty vibes. Has to get better. It just has to. Bucs are cursed man. It just feels that even if we had Bellichick, the offense would still sputter. Something in the water...lol...also, throw the ball away Jameis!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looked to me that Winston tried to slide and his cleats grabbed the turf.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

sideline reporter? who Ben Leiber? he is paid by the Vikes, that crew was horrible, I never seen one shot of Bucs sideline until Dot went down…they were drinking the purple cool-aide as they are paid to doWinston wasn't perfect, but he got better as game went on, he has played 30 something offensive snaps, relax

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

sideline reporter? who Ben Leiber? he is paid by the Vikes, that crew was horrible, I never seen one shot of Bucs sideline until Dot went down...they were drinking the purple cool-aide as they are paid to doWinston wasn't perfect, but he got better as game went on, he has played 30 something offensive snaps, relax

I thought he looked pretty good. But I wasn't expecting Aaron Rodgers either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sideline reporter? who Ben Leiber? he is paid by the Vikes, that crew was horrible, I never seen one shot of Bucs sideline until Dot went down...they were drinking the purple cool-aide as they are paid to doWinston wasn't perfect, but he got better as game went on, he has played 30 something offensive snaps, relax

Ya very surprising that the Vikings notorious homer crew weren't overly complimentary of Jameis' play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looked to me that Winston tried to slide and his cleats grabbed the turf.

He did this three times, including the TD run which was still dangerous.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He does have a helluva windup, Ben Lieber or not. My eyes are not tuned to Ben Lieber, but he certainly won’t be able to throw with any lead or anticipation with a wind up that would make Ichiro proud.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He does have a helluva windup, Ben Lieber or not. My eyes are not tuned to Ben Lieber, but he certainly won't be able to throw with any lead or anticipation with a wind up that would make Ichiro proud.

It doesn’t seem like a traditional windup like Leftwich or Tebow. To me it looks like he almost rears his shoulders back too much, like he generates a lot of power with his hips, abs area trying to spin like a top.But regardless, none of this really matters because the offensive line is so so so so so bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He does have a helluva windup, Ben Lieber or not. My eyes are not tuned to Ben Lieber, but he certainly won't be able to throw with any lead or anticipation with a wind up that would make Ichiro proud.

It doesn't seem like a traditional windup like Leftwich or Tebow. To me it looks like he almost rears his shoulders back too much, like he generates a lot of power with his hips, abs area trying to spin like a top.But regardless, none of this really matters because the offensive line is so so so so so bad.

Its gotten worse. He really hasn’t changed anything, and it showed in his delivery. I think there were three calls that could have gone DPI. But…he did not flash much, and that delivery is so damn funky and slow. DBs with ball hawk skills are going to feast on Winston, IMO. He NEEDS to shorten that funky set-up. He seemed to be on the right path during the combine. It was evident. But now…it almost takes him a second to deliver the ball.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with a lot of this. I think him being the backup for the first half of season would have done wonders for him. Dont know why Lovie and Licht are so hell bent on him playing week 1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with a lot of this. I think him being the backup for the first half of season would have done wonders for him. Dont know why Lovie and Licht are so hell bent on him playing week 1.

I wanted Glennon to start purely based on the fact that the offensive line wasn’t ready and would just make Jameis’ development that much worse. Still think the same today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with a lot of this. I think him being the backup for the first half of season would have done wonders for him.

Mariota?  Yes I agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I said before we drafted him he looked like Byron Leftwich. Last night just confirmed it…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Regarding his shoulder-dipping as part of his windup, I’ve read he doesn’t get his legs into his throws, relying on shoulder strength way too much. The fact he is such a slow runner could indicate weaker-than-normal legs for an NFL athlete…

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

Ya very surprising that the Vikings notorious homer crew weren't overly complimentary of Jameis' play.

Watching the game on WFLA locally, there was much more Bucs talk from the broadcast booth. The Minnesota feed was thrust upon everyone outside of the market. (I saw that version when re-watching the game this afternoon.)

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

I wanted Glennon to start purely based on the fact that the offensive line wasn't ready and would just make Jameis' development that much worse. Still think the same today.

Glennon looked pretty bad, for th emost part, and that was after the Vikings pulled their top players on defense. I can't imagine Glennon would have played any better in the first half than Winston did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the fact he is such a slow runner could indicate weaker-than-normal legs for an NFL athlete...

haha.  really?  he had no trouble running for the td.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Horrible or not, the sideline guy spent about nine years in the NFL as a linebacker for the Vikings, Chargers and Rams. He may be a Vikings homer, but I'd say he might have some insight into things. Heck, he's a KSU grad, maybe the PR guys can give some insight into his 'worth' for that matter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Leber Winston's delivery did look like he had reverted back to the longer, slower FSU delivery than the one he was showing off prior to the draft. If he sticks with that one, he's going to have troubles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I said before we drafted him he looked like Byron Leftwich. Last night just confirmed it...

It was rather uncanny, IMO. He has me worried already, preseason or not…That strange motion, the seeming lack of "pop"'from the ball (it doesn't look like it comes hissing at you), the leadership skills...the lumbering physicality... I pray he gets his mechanics on track. His windup is going to fail at this level. No doubt in my mind. He's playing baseball again. In his mind. Wake up, Jameis. Whats bad is Dirk Koetter isn't a coach who will change Winston's style. It will be up to Jameis to work on compacting that bull.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

I said before we drafted him he looked like Byron Leftwich. Last night just confirmed it...

It was rather uncanny, IMO. He has me worried already, preseason or not...That strange motion, the seeming lack of "pop"'from the ball (it doesn't look like it comes hissing at you), the leadership skills...the lumbering physicality... I pray he gets his mechanics on track. His windup is going to fail at this level. No doubt in my mind. He's playing baseball again. In his mind. Wake up, Jameis. Whats bad is Dirk Koetter isn't a coach who will change Winston's style. It will be up to Jameis to work on compacting that bull.

I don't know man, that laser he threw to the 1 yard line was pretty impressive.  I don't recall who dropped it, was it Jackson? Anyway that throw was money in a tight window.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was rather uncanny, IMO. He has me worried already, preseason or not...That strange motion, the seeming lack of "pop"'from the ball (it doesn't look like it comes hissing at you), the leadership skills...the lumbering physicality... I pray he gets his mechanics on track. His windup is going to fail at this level. No doubt in my mind. He's playing baseball again. In his mind. Wake up, Jameis. Whats bad is Dirk Koetter isn't a coach who will change Winston's style. It will be up to Jameis to work on compacting that bull.

I don't know man, that laser he threw to the 1 yard line was pretty impressive.  I don't recall who dropped it, was it Jackson? Anyway that throw was money in a tight window.

Byron three that ball “haaaaaaaaawd” as hell, as well. One might say that it was thrown into a tight window, and it was defended. He made a few throws, but nothing that made me slap my knee, and "hot damn" the moment. I cringed and had flashbacks when he threw behind a leading Mike Evans, who would have jogged a good ways before being dragged down, IMO. Problem was, he missed the target by a country mile:  Freeman like. He needs to learn to lead his wideouts, and not just throw jump balls. That requires tightening that release. Too bad we didn't have Tedford. He is good at that sort of thing. Plus, he was a good running back evaluator. I have a feeling the offense is going to be a clunker. It's a curse.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Byron three that ball "haaaaaaaaawd" as hell, as well. One might say that it was thrown into a tight window, and it was defended. He made a few throws, but nothing that made me slap my knee, and "hot damn" the moment. I cringed and had flashbacks when he threw behind a leading Mike Evans, who would have jogged a good ways before being dragged down, IMO. Problem was, he missed the target by a country mile:  Freeman like. He needs to learn to lead his wideouts, and not just throw jump balls. That requires tightening that release. Too bad we didn't have Tedford. He is good at that sort of thing. Must he was a good running back evaluator.

No Freeman comps please. I want to keep hope alive for this cat awhile longer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

if you can see it, i hope Winston can.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Leftwich looked to be turning the corner and playing some damn good ball up until he broke his leg for the third time in three years…Regardless, Winston's wind-up isn't nearly as elongated as Leftys. That comparison stunk predraft and it still stinks now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Leftwich looked to be turning the corner and playing some damn good ball up until he broke his leg for the third time in three years...Regardless, Winston's wind-up isn't nearly as elongated as Leftys. That comparison stunk predraft and it still stinks now.

It isn’t as elongated, but I don’t think anyone had quite the windup Lefty did.  It is funky, and his delivery needs improvement no matter what it “reminds” anyone of. It’s a lazy comp, but aside from Bernie Kosar or Tim Tebow, I can’t think of too many awkward passers. It will be a problem in the NFL. How can he throw ahead of his receivers, to spots with that jacked up motion?  It is t conducive to it, that's for sure. He appears to be a guy who hits targets (not necessarily spots) and throws nice deep passes with a soft touch. His accuracy was off, but I'll give him first game jitters as the excuse. He should improve, but his delivery definitely regressed from the combine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Phillip Rivers and Warren Moon are two names immediately off the top of my head who had funky, long deliveries who did fine in the NFL. It’s not great to have a long delivery, but it’s not the end all be all, either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m chalking many of those Joshy Freeman-esque passes up to jitters as well.  He stuck a beautiful out route to Murphy and that V-Jax completion would have been a TD if the O-Line would have allowed him to step into his throw. I didn't see those "Bad Decision Jameis" throws last night, I just saw throws from a guy that appeared to be a physically terrible QB sometimes. I think we all know that Jameis isn't that, so it makes it easier for me to chalk it up to jitters. I was also very encouraged by Winston's escapability. Despite all the "zomg 5.01 40 time!" hand wringing this offseason, Jameis' quick twitch pocket presence has seemingly transitioned to the NFL. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Phillip Rivers and Warren Moon are two names immediately off the top of my head who had funky, long deliveries who did fine in the NFL. It's not great to have a long delivery, but it's not the end all be all, either.

How could I forget Rigers?!  My bad. Moon?  I never really thought his delivery was shabby. He threw the prettiest spiral I have ever seen, and I said that years and years ago…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm chalking many of those Joshy Freeman-esque passes up to jitters as well.  He stuck a beautiful out route to Murphy and that V-Jax completion would have been a TD if the O-Line would have allowed him to step into his throw. I didn't see those "Bad Decision Jameis" throws last night, I just saw throws from a guy that appeared to be a physically terrible QB sometimes. I think we all know that Jameis isn't that, so it makes it easier for me to chalk it up to jitters. I was also very encouraged by Winston's escapability. Despite all the "zomg 5.01 40 time!" hand wringing this offseason, Jameis' quick twitch pocket presence has seemingly transitioned to the NFL.

I hope it was Jitters. Plus there were three potential DPIs that could have been called which extends drives and boosts confidence, which is what a cat like Fameis needs.

Please wait…

• suesweat

Participant

I wanted Glennon to start purely based on the fact that the offensive line wasn't ready and would just make Jameis' development that much worse. Still think the same today.

Oline isn't going to be ready anytime soon either so allowing the oline to play with a temp QB isn't going to inspire them to improve either. That gives off the "Tank" vibe again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those ugly throws of his were just so god awful it seems like it must have been jitters. Freeman was inaccurate in college - you can't fix that. Winston never really was. I'm skeptical he suddenly just became an inaccurate QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

it was his first live action NFL game, and the passes were a tad off.  im not too worried.  no matter  how much you try to get game action reps in practice, its still a little different.  he was decisive, and for the most part didnt make any really bad decisions. not sure the OL needs to be called out on the vjax catch.  i think vjax just let his legs go to jelly to secure the catch.  and while the evans deep ball wasnt pinpoint, he did what he should do, he gave his 6'5 WR a chance to go get it.  its just bad luck that the ref decided to be a weasel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not surprised it was rough. He has to fix a habit of starting slow, he’s playing behind a turrible offensive line and let’s not forget that Minnesota has a pretty good D that already had a preseason game under their belts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not surprised it was rough. He has to fix a habit of starting slow, he's playing behind a turrible offensive line and let's not forget that Minnesota has a pretty good D that already had a preseason game under their belts.

All that is fine. But, Winston thinking it’s baseball season again is not a good deal. Tighten that windup up, son!  Ear hole it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree his mechanics were way off.  But the offense has bigger problems than Winston’s mechanics…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

just be a football player.  if hes gotta change the delivery to be a good player, then do it.  if hes gotta look off the safety more, then do it.  i just dont expect a real change, and i am not worried about it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

just be a football player.  if hes gotta change the delivery to be a good player, then do it.  if hes gotta look off the safety more, then do it.  i just dont expect a real change, and i am not worried about it.

Should we be worried that the offense didn't really score until the Vikes put in their 2nd string defense?I know it's supposedly "vanilla" offense, but the Bucs didn't do much in any phase of the game.I'm worried because, while it's vanilla, it still looked like a lot of the crap we saw last year. Just not much pressure from our d, our coverage wasn't "on", special teams seemed to help the Vikes have good starting field position, and the offense, other then Martin having 1 7yard run, VJax falling down to secure a catch, I didn't see much from the starters to get excited about.  (Marpet might be ready to play though, that's promising)Yes, it's preseason game 1. but I was certainly left with a feeling that I should have seen more.Oh well, if they look this game 3, then I'll really start to worry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm chalking many of those Joshy Freeman-esque passes up to jitters as well.  He stuck a beautiful out route to Murphy and that V-Jax completion would have been a TD if the O-Line would have allowed him to step into his throw. I didn't see those "Bad Decision Jameis" throws last night, I just saw throws from a guy that appeared to be a physically terrible QB sometimes. I think we all know that Jameis isn't that, so it makes it easier for me to chalk it up to jitters. I was also very encouraged by Winston's escapability. Despite all the "zomg 5.01 40 time!" hand wringing this offseason, Jameis' quick twitch pocket presence has seemingly transitioned to the NFL.

I hope it was Jitters. Plus there were three potential DPIs that could have been called which extends drives and boosts confidence, which is what a cat like Fameis needs.

Ahh you gave him a nickname, now we see the true agenda behind your posts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ahh you gave him a nickname, now we see the true agenda behind your posts.

Famous Jameis is Winston's nickname....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1Should we be worried that the offense didn't really score until the Vikes put in their 2nd string defense?I know it's supposedly "vanilla" offense, but the Bucs didn't do much in any phase of the game.2I'm worried because, while it's vanilla, it still looked like a lot of the crap we saw last year. Just not much pressure from our d, our coverage wasn't "on", special teams seemed to help the Vikes have good starting field position, and the offense, other then Martin having 1 7yard run, VJax falling down to secure a catch, I didn't see much from the starters to get excited about.  (Marpet might be ready to play though, that's promising)

1 i am not worried about winston, i think his inaccuracy was just first game jitters.  he was decisive he was just a little off on his throws.  they were certainly letting the DBs be physical.  i think our run game had some holes opened, will be much more interested to see how an the OL looks with mankins getting more PT.  i dont think it was the vikings D giving winston trouble.2 - i didnt really focus on the DEs, but i understand it.  i was more upset with our DEs always biting too hard on rollouts.  DE Johnson seemed to be near the QB many times.  i think our main issue on defense was NCB.  seemed leonard johnson was always around the catches that are followed by big YAC.  maybe it was a zone issue, but i doubt it.  still baffled why moore cant play NCB.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

I actually thought the offense showed some promise:Jameis looked in command of the huddle and line of scrimmage. He called audibles, declared the Mike and got them in and out of plays with no delay of game penalties. He was inaccurate on some throws and could have made some better decisions.The O Line, I thought was half way decent. There were about 3 or 4 plays that were disastrous like the high snap and missed snaps from Gilkey, the whiff from D. Smith and the missed block by ASJ on a run play early on. Otherwise, I thought the first team OL did pretty good actually creating some holes in the running game.The receivers I thought played pretty lackadaisical though. It seemed like Evans' head wasn't in it. I thought the running backs were pretty solid as well.The defense, however, looked outdated. That cover 2 look is so beatable it's not even funny. We had better be running more civet 3 and mixed up coverages with blitzing or we are gonna be giving up 30 points per game.Overall, I was left feeling concerned, but not totally depressed. There had better be marked improvement by the next game, but they did show some signs of at least being on the same page and fairly well coordinated. Special teams, they looked awful all around.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

other then Martin having 1 7yard run,

martins first 3 runs were 8, 7, and 5.  so thats a pretty good start.  on the next run the tackle in the backfield was possibly gilkey blocking the wrong guy, or the defense just loading up the box while koetter tried to slowstart it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

other then Martin having 1 7yard run,

martins first 3 runs were 8, 7, and 5.  so thats a pretty good start.  on the next run the tackle in the backfield was possibly gilkey blocking the wrong guy, or the defense just loading up the box while koetter tried to slowstart it.

Thanks GameTime, for some reason I incorrectly remembered the first two runs,  i thought the first was 2 yards (5 actually) and 7 yards (8 actually). I just remember the muscle hamster having a spurt at the very beginning, and then it was jameis attempting to throw, and then I think I remember a charles sims nice run. But otherwise I don't remember much about the running game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The OL is terrible. This is definitely the worst group in the NFL and may be the worst OL group I’ve ever seen this team have. Its hard to judge Winston or Glennon when they have about a 1 step drop before a defender is ready to destroy them.Gilkey is getting bullied like his childhood days out there. Dude is just not cutout for the NFL. Too bad he will stick around because they play him at both Center and Guard, which is sucks equally at.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys realize that the Bucs played vanilla on both sides of the ball against a team with two weeks or more practice time than they…did right?…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys realize that the Bucs played vanilla on both sides of the ball against a team with two weeks or more practice time than they...did right?...

They played against a team that started training camp 1 week before the Bucs. Don't you think the Vikes played vanilla as well? The Vikings didn't even have AP on the field, took Bridgewater out early, and still beat the Bucs D like a drum, playing vanilla. Our offense couldn't do anything worth note until the Vikes put in their 2nd string defense, and our 1st string offense finally drove down and got a td.While it's not time to yell the sky is falling, it certainly isn't time to keep a blind eye to what is happening on the field. Week 3 (based on normal starters play into the 3rd quarter) will be a telling time for us imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie has always fielded garbage at the OL even in Chicago. I want him fired more than ever now. I don’t want Jameis to get David Carr’ed please put Glennon in.

Please wait…

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.