Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

PewterReport.com ranks the 25 All-Time Greatest Buccaneers in this five-part series. Who is the greatest player in team history –Lee Roy Selmon, Warren Sapp or Derrick Brooks? Find out as we rank players 1-5 in this installment. https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9880

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why I HATE these kind of “opinions.” In ranking players like HOFamers Brooks, Sapp and Selmon are you REALLY typing that Lee Roy Selmon is LESS than any other Buccaneer? That ANY of the three are LESS THAN each other?The pinnacle is the National Football League Hall of Fame. There IS no LESS THAN after that.Lee Roy Selmon THIRD best? Freaking ludicrous and frankly insulting to his memory IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garv,I can agree with you to a point.IMO, Leroy is clearly etched in our memory for two things. (1) The first Buc who amounted to anything and became our first hall of famer and I was there to watch every game he played in in Tampa. (2) The epitome of what human beings should all be like. I was fortunate enough to spend 5 hours right next to him one whole evening.. I just came away in awe.  But that doesn't automatically make him the best Buc unless the criteria for the "Best Buc" was the finest human being. He and Brooks would be very close.But in NFL history what player will always be remembered as a loud mouthed rabble rousing and the best at his position in the NFL, that would be Sapp.Maybe Leroy and Brooks should be remembered for who they also were as a person, but in time they will be forgotten-not Sapp! He will always be remembered.Unc

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be an unforgettable experience with the old #63 Uncle Stan…btw, will be in the Orlando area this week and think that’s where you’re from.  Been a while and the memory might be off

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garv,I can agree with you to a point.IMO, Leroy is clearly etched in our memory for two things. (1) The first Buc who amounted to anything and became our first hall of famer and I was there to watch every game he played in in Tampa. (2) The epitome of what human beings should all be like. I was fortunate enough to spend 5 hours right next to him one whole evening.. I just came away in awe.  But that doesn't automatically make him the best Buc unless the criteria for the "Best Buc" was the finest human being. He and Brooks would be very close.But in NFL history what player will always be remembered as a loud mouthed rabble rousing and the best at his position in the NFL, that would be Sapp.Maybe Leroy and Brooks should be remembered for who they also were as a person, but in time they will be forgotten-not Sapp! He will always be remembered.Unc

I hear you Stan and I agree with the ranking of Selmon, Brooks and Sapp as the top three all time Buccaneers. I just have a problem with ranking ANY HOF Buccaneer lower than number one. Selmon LESS than Sapp? No, no freaking way. Again, IMO making the Hall of Fame is the individual pinnacle for a player to achieve. To let time or opinion somehow lesson that is bothersome. That fans are too young to remember Lee Roy Selmon or too old to remember yesterday is irrelevant. Current players always get more credit than past greats because they are the ones current fans get attached to. But that does NOT, in any way, shape or form take away from the incredible achievements of past players. Particularly those who make the HOF. Deacon Jones for instance, didn't play in an era when sacks were counted (though he coined the word for tackling QB's behind the line of scrimmage). Is he LESS THAN Michael Strahan? I don't think so.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very subjective series.  No disrespect to any former Buc, but  I cannot honestly say that Warrick Dunn and  (others on the list) meant more to the success of the team while here than David Lewis or Hugh Green did during their tenure.  Yet Dunn is #17 and these guys are completely absent.  David Lewis and Hugh Green were incredible.    I saw them live and remember well what other teams feared, avoided, and caused offensive schemes to change.  Particular plays from Lewis and Green are etched in my memory bank.  I understand that Pewter Report was either not here or too young to see/remember these guys live. That obviously influences their thinking.  No big deal.  I realize it’s still a somewhat free country and we can come up with our own list and post it. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Deacon Jones for instance, didn't play in an era when sacks were counted (though he coined the word for tackling QB's behind the line of scrimmage). Is he LESS THAN Michael Strahan? I don't think so.

Good point, Garv.  Strahan was a great player, but he should never be compared with the Deacon.  In the modern era, only Reggie White could dominate like the Deacon, imo, speaking only of DE's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IMO, Leroy is clearly etched in our memory for two things. (1) The first Buc who amounted to anything and became our first hall of famer and I was there to watch every game he played in in Tampa. (2) The epitome of what human beings should all be like. I was fortunate enough to spend 5 hours right next to him one whole evening.. I just came away in awe. 

Stan, that's quite an honor and memory!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why I HATE these kind of "opinions." In ranking players like HOFamers Brooks, Sapp and Selmon are you REALLY typing that Lee Roy Selmon is LESS than any other Buccaneer? That ANY of the three are LESS THAN each other?The pinnacle is the National Football League Hall of Fame. There IS no LESS THAN after that.Lee Roy Selmon THIRD best? Freaking ludicrous and frankly insulting to his memory IMO.

1 & 2 were just as impactful yet....hoisted a Lombardi. My only disagreement is that Sapp should be #1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm shocked!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is why I HATE these kind of "opinions." In ranking players like HOFamers Brooks, Sapp and Selmon are you REALLY typing that Lee Roy Selmon is LESS than any other Buccaneer? That ANY of the three are LESS THAN each other?The pinnacle is the National Football League Hall of Fame. There IS no LESS THAN after that.Lee Roy Selmon THIRD best? Freaking ludicrous and frankly insulting to his memory IMO.

1 & 2 were just as impactful yet....hoisted a Lombardi. My only disagreement is that Sapp should be #1.

No way. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, so did Trent Dilfer. Does that in any way make them better than Dan Marino or Dan Fouts? We're talking about individual players and to put Lee Roy Selmon below anyone is just not right in my book. You make the HOF you SHARE number one with whomever else is there with you IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Skip,Why "shocked"? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be an unforgettable experience with the old #63 Uncle Stan...btw, will be in the Orlando area this week and think that's where you're from.  Been a while and the memory might be off

Unfortunately Rev,  I'm in a Tampa suburb called Brandon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, so did Trent Dilfer. Does that in any way make them better than Dan Marino or Dan Fouts? We're talking about individual players and to put Lee Roy Selmon below anyone is just not right in my book. You make the HOF you SHARE number one with whomever else is there with you IMO.

There can only be one #1.....and if they're both HOFers, then i'm giving it to the guy that hoitsted the Lombardi. Brad Johson, Trent Dilfer, Fouts and Marino have no place in this discussion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There can only be one #1.....and if they're both HOFers, then i'm giving it to the guy that hoitsted the Lombardi. Brad Johson, Trent Dilfer, Fouts and Marino have no place in this discussion.

Agree to disagree then. But I will type this. There is ALWAYS some thing more to type on this end......LOL. I think either Selmon or Brooks represent the Buccaneers better than Sapp. All three were great players so it's not like you're trading personality traits for talent. That typed and given the "rule" of having to pick a number 1 I'm picking Derrick Books as the greatest living Buccaneer. Oh the hell with it. You're in the Ring of Honor AND the NFL Hall of Fame you're not LESS THAN than anyone PERIOD!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hate IS “The Highlander”!!!  “There can be only 1”!!!Actually, I agree with that....that CAN only  be only one #1!!

Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.