Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Can Vincent Jackson get faster? Apr 5 2014, 1:04pmvincent_zps473a48fb.jpgAl Messerschmidt Vincent Jackson is a Pro Bowl wide receiver.  In his two years with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he has amassed over 1,200 yards each season.  He has eclipsed over 1,000 yards five times in his nine year career.  Vjax, as he is affectionately known to many Bucs fans, signed with the Bucs in 2012 for five years worth $55.55 million.  With three years left on his contract, we Bucs fans can continue to expect great things from Vjax. And yet...  I feel as though he can give more.  I recall this video where Vjax had a 95 yard reception.  This is no single event.http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000082909/Wk-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Vincent-Jackson-runs-out-of-gas-after-incredible-run While browsing through many articles online about the draft, SBNation has a great article on the 2014 NFL draft about wide receivers. In the article is this great nugget by Bill Walsh: "Pure speed is helpful, but full-stride speed becomes important. You would like a receiver with the ball in the open field to be able to keep the separation with the closing defenders until he gets over the goal line. He doesn't have to outrun them. He doesn't have to gain ground on them. He just has to get there before they do so he scores. So it doesn't have to be sprinters' speed, but full-stride speed. "A good example of that was Mike Quick when he was at Philadelphia. He had just an average 40 time, but once in the open field the long strides gave him the functional speed to stay away or get away from defenders. Dwight Clark, believe it or not, was never caught from behind once he got into full stride. Now he used the field to weave and bend, but he was never caught. And Jerry Rice will never be caught from behind by anyone if they both have the same, basic starting point. "Now there have been other people who have been Olympic sprinters who get tangled up and can't get back into full stride quickly enough and somebody just comes up and overwhelms them from out of nowhere. If they catch the ball and there is any contact at all, by the time they get back in running stride, the people have closed on them. Full-stride speed is the key." The question that begs is what exactly is full stride speed? According to http://www.scienceofrunning.com, speed is a product of stride length and stride frequency. To improve speed, one can increase the length of a stride, increase the frequency of the stride or do both. You can read their article here.http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/11/speed-stride-length-x-stride-frequency.html%20 Standing at six foot and five inches, Vjax cannot be expected to increase his stride frequency due to his height and build.  He could try to increase the number of steps in the same distance, but having long legs would make that a bit difficult to adjust.  Yet, increasing his stride length in that same distance may help improve his speed.  This is what I believe Walsh meant in "full stride" speed. Now would be a good time to view that NFL.com link again where Vjax gets caught from behind.  With the enlightenment of stride length and stride frequency to determine speed, you can look at Vjax's stride as well as compare it to Malcolm Jenkins, the player who caught Vjax from behind.  From that video, it looks as though Vjax's stride is stubby.  Then look at Malcolm's stride.  Notice how his strides look longer than the strides Vjax has along with the frequency of strides.  Malcolm also starts behind the point where Vjax caught the ball and had to traverse diagonally to reach Vjax. My observation is simply visual and developed with information from the sources listed in this article.  I have no idea if Vjax can improve his speed.  But if Dwight Clark was never brought down from behind (although, I have no idea if this is true except that Walsh says so), then I can expect Vjax can also learn this trait to improve his speed as well as increase his touchdown statistics.  Long bombs that conclude in touchdowns sometimes are back breakers.  That is one aspect that I hope Vjax can improve upon as it is a demoralizing action for the opposing team.http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/4/5/5571908/improving-strides

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect conditioning is his problem. VJax simply runs out of gas and slows down on long runs. He doesn’t have the endurance to go full speed for more than30 or 40 yards. The thing that really sucked was the failure to score a TD with a first down inside the 5 yard line. Hopefully, our new coaching staff has a solution for this. Maybe a trade with the 49ers for a few of their 11 draft picks would work. Get some younger and fresher receivers who won’t wilt down the stretch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When pursued, 3 keys; vision (see the pursuer), quick or instinctive mental solution to “what do I do”, and quickly reacting physically. In that play where Vincent was caught, it LOOKED like he just tried to outrun Jenkins, instead of using angles and/or stop-and-go moves. Also, I thought Jackson acted real surprised to see Jenkins in pursuit…     Yeah, Rice only ran a 4.6, but give him a slit of daylight, and he almost always got thru it before most defenders could... He ran impeccably precise routes...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect conditioning is his problem. VJax simply runs out of gas and slows down on long runs. He doesn't have the endurance to go full speed for more than30 or 40 yards. The thing that really sucked was the failure to score a TD with a first down inside the 5 yard line. Hopefully, our new coaching staff has a solution for this. Maybe a trade with the 49ers for a few of their 11 draft picks would work. Get some younger and fresher receivers who won't wilt down the stretch.

Sparky, would you trade Jackson to the 49ers for some of those picks? I’ve pondered that myself. They are a team on the cusp of a Super Bowl, that just might. And with Frank Gore getting up there, I’ve thought they might give up a bunch for Doug Martin too. I know; call me crazy… ;D  When yer 4-12, gotta look at EVERY option…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s not young anymore that is Jackson’s problem. From everything I’ve seen he’s still a hard worker but going on 32 won’t help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vjax needs to just keep doing what he’s doing . He’s the least of worries right now. I’ll take a 95 yard reception anyday , lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect conditioning is his problem. VJax simply runs out of gas and slows down on long runs. He doesn't have the endurance to go full speed for more than30 or 40 yards. The thing that really sucked was the failure to score a TD with a first down inside the 5 yard line. Hopefully, our new coaching staff has a solution for this. Maybe a trade with the 49ers for a few of their 11 draft picks would work. Get some younger and fresher receivers who won't wilt down the stretch.

Sparky, would you trade Jackson to the 49ers for some of those picks? I've pondered that myself. They are a team on the cusp of a Super Bowl, that just might. And with Frank Gore getting up there, I've thought they might give up a bunch for Doug Martin too. I know; call me crazy... ;D  When yer 4-12, gotta look at EVERY option...

The Bucs aren't going to the SB this year, and VJax won't be here when they do. It's a deep draft and we're short on picks. VJax's money would pay for a full draft and more. Build for the future. Maybe even grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. It takes time for a team to gel. Might as well stock the team with players who will still be here 3 or 4 years from now. VJax won't be. Get something for him while he still has some value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's not young anymore that is Jackson's problem. From everything I've seen he's still a hard worker but going on 32 won't help.

Yea thats all it is. I dont recall many receivers out running CBs and Safeties at his age except for maybe Moss. Luckily for us his size still makes him very productive. My complaint is he looks like he dogged it on some routes and lazily rolled his change of direction instead of a good hard cut. When he did that the CB was all over him and it gave Glennon a bad look

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IMO… Running isn’t his problem as much as his catching.  He rarely catches the ball “over the shoulder”.. His coordination doesn’t let him reach his stride. When he faces the ball, his back is to the goal line.  He has to make the turn before he can get up to speed. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let’s write an article around Bill Walsh hyperbole.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9Hy5NJyqYg:39 second mark.Dwight Clark never caught from behind at full stride.  Lol.  Ok Bill. 

The Bucs aren't going to the SB this year, and VJax won't be here when they do. It's a deep draft and we're short on picks. VJax's money would pay for a full draft and more. Build for the future. Maybe even grab a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. It takes time for a team to gel. Might as well stock the team with players who will still be here 3 or 4 years from now. VJax won't be. Get something for him while he still has some value.

Yeah, we're already in win now mode sparky.  If this offseason's chain of moves has shown us nothing else, it's that we are trying to be competitive in 2014.  Trading away the most legitimate offensive weapon we have for a 5th or 6th round pick is not going to help us win now.  I'm not sure we could get that, given what he is owed over the next few seasons remaining on his contract.  Hopefully you're not one of the many posters who excused giving away Darelle Revis because his contract made him untradeable. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MW was our most legitimate weapon? That’s news to me. And Lovie. And vjax and Dougie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I may be wrong but I seem to remember something being reported, after the game, that VJax had some sort of leg problem when the game started.  It was either an ankle or hamstring pull.  Again, I may have it mixed up with another game, but that is what I recall.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Vjax speed is fine, he gets very good separation on those deep routes. The only time I really only saw him get caught behind was that time Malcom Jenkins caught him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I may be wrong but I seem to remember something being reported, after the game, that VJax had some sort of leg problem when the game started.  It was either an ankle or hamstring pull.  Again, I may have it mixed up with another game, but that is what I recall.

He was listed as "Questionable" before the game.

Jackson, who had 216 yards receiving Sunday, declined to say whether he ran out of gas. But Jackson, who was limited in practice late last week due to a calf strain, admitted he "obviously wasn't 100-percent." "I went to fight and gave it everything I got every play," Jackson said.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vjax speed is fine, he gets very good separation on those deep routes. The only time I really only saw him get caught behind was that time Malcom Jenkins caught him.

Didn't he get caught in another game...Jets?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Btw, this article and Bill don’t know what they are talking about. There are several factors present on the football field when running. The key is how much energy (ATP) has the guy used when he is at the point of running full speed (has he juked 5 players, had contact with another players, been running full speed longer because he had to run a reverse???)….. A runner can only keep maximum speed for 20 meters, they he decelerates, the person that runs fastest at that point is the person who decelerates the least; you do this by relaxation and maintaining your running form. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jackson, who had 216 yards receiving Sunday, declined to say whether he ran out of gas. But Jackson, who was limited in practice late last week due to a calf strain, admitted he "obviously wasn't 100-percent." "I went to fight and gave it everything I got every play," Jackson said.

Thanks.  I knew I had read something about his having an issue with his leg.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He did.......and no TD either time. Multiple picks in the mid to late rounds would be worth the loss of his production when you consider,in return, Evans alone might equal or even exceed that, plus the contributions of the players acquired, immediate and in the future. The Bucs will be lucky just to reach the playoffs this year. They're the equivalent of an expansion team with only a few players and front office personnel as holdovers. I'm sure they will be respectable, in particular on defense, but too much has to come together too fast, for them to be really competitive for a division title, much less a SB. VJax won't be a difference maker for the Bucs, but he could be for San Francisco. They could use him. We could do without him. I appreciate all he has done, but a trade could benefit the team more IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks.  I knew I had read something about his having an issue with his leg.

IIRC it was his hammy

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Yes could be true I honestly can't recall off the top of my head. VJax's speed is not a concern to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sparky, would you trade Jackson to the 49ers for some of those picks? I've pondered that myself. They are a team on the cusp of a Super Bowl, that just might. And with Frank Gore getting up there, I've thought they might give up a bunch for Doug Martin too. I know; call me crazy... ;D  When yer 4-12, gotta look at EVERY option...

He won't be here in 3-4 years? He has 3 years left on his contract. Also, his contract was front loaded and the last couple years he becomes a little cheaper. Also, 26mil of the 55mil is guaranteed so he might not be hitting that 10mil a year mark.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He didn’t get run down in the jets game . The defender came running with a full head of steam after vjax had slowed down to make the catch ,  and he barely grabbed vjaxs shoe lace to make the tackle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000290341/Vincent-Jackson-60-yard-reception

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000290341/Vincent-Jackson-60-yard-reception

Look at that beautiful pass by Air Glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we're talking about the Saint game, he had a calf injury and was on the injury report the week leading up to that game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we're talking about the Saint game, he had a calf injury and was on the injury report the week leading up to that game.

Calf, that was it. Still a lil bitter that we couldnt punch it in after 4 tries. Game swinging series no doubt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vincent never was a burner. So I don’t get the “he is slowing down at his advanced age” stuff.  Its gotta be a slow news day if we are bad mouthing one of the best players on the team.Ya, hell. Lets trade him for a bag of chips.

Please wait…

• fredreg

Participant

speeds always good. I thnk it comes down to what route ur running too also., and coverage u face

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.