Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I can’t seem to find it online other than Twitter saying it’s the right call just a bad rule.

So if a player muffs a punt and it:

Goes out of bounds it is spotted there

If it goes out of the back of the endzone it’s a safety (yes?)

If it touches the pylon it’s a touchback?

I’m just trying to wrap my head around this archaic system. Logically if you muff a punt that is “posession”.

Anyone know the official rule or even what the rule is called?

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Your missing one other scenario that should answer the question. If it goes into the endzone without going out of bounds it is a touchback. Hitting the pylon is hitting the endzone. Just like hitting the pylon is a touchdown with the football when attempting to score

• 3rd String Kicker

I think one of the keys on this rule is the difference between possession/fumble and muffed punt. If it’s possession/fumble, it’s a safety. If it’s a muffed punt, it’s a touchback. I think both should be a safety, but I believe this has happened before and the precedent indicates this is a touchback.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

So it’s a bad rule. Muffing a punt should act as possession. Why should they be rewarded for muffing it at the 2 and get it at the 20?

What a moronic rule. Put it back at the 2 at the very least

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

So it’s a bad rule. Muffing a punt should act as possession. Why should they be rewarded for muffing it at the 2 and get it at the 20?

What a moronic rule. Put it back at the 2 at the very least

Was thinking the same thing when the play happened.

Dude got rewarded for muffing a punt lmao. Joke.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Was it a muffed punt or a possession and fumble? NBC had non interest in showing a relay for us.

I’m more possed at the obvious fumble that they reviewed and overturned. We would of had the ball at the 15 yard line and at least had 3 points.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by RHBucsFan.

• GermCanBuc

Participant

MUFFS ARE NOT FUMBLES……Sorry for yelling. It’s been drilled in to me.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

MUFFS ARE NOT FUMBLES……Sorry for yelling. It’s been drilled in to me.

How so?

If the punt returner muffs it (aka touches the ball with any part of his body) its a live ball..

• GermCanBuc

Participant

Can’t be a fumble if you never establish possession. Ball is live as soon as it leaves the centre’s hand

• seekpar

Participant

I agree with previous poster that it sucks to be rewarded with a 20 yard gain after you made a bonehead play. Kinda like when Lameis Jameis threw that blind heave TD while being sacked recently.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.