Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• Ronald Mac

Participant

First reaction: what is P Schrags smoking?

Peter Schrager is one of my favorite analysts but man… Davis at 32? According to his mock draft that came out today thats where the bucs could go.

I have Mills in my mock as well, but as a 4th rounder.

I know the Bucs like him. Obviously Schrager does too, he’s extremely well-connected.. but at 32?

Surely Mills would be available at 64.. right?

Quick rundown on Mills for those unfamiliar. Stanford QB 6’4 217lbs. Size, big arm. Was one of the highest ranked QBs coming out of high school in Atlanta. Doesnt have a ton of experience, but has the tools and seems to be a good bet in terms of between-the-ears.

If the Bucs believe this is their future franchise QB, and you can get him at 32, cant blame them. But if they do that, they must really believe he can learn from Brady and the coaches and add the football IQ to those natural traits and talents.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

64 id be cool with.

32 not so much.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Won’t happen at 32.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

drafting a QB in the first round is exactly what teams do wrong to their franchise QB

We are indebted to Tom Brady for the “out of nowhere” Superbowl. Sure we are a talented team, but that got us to .500 ball with mediocre QB play. We owe Tom and by that i mean, we draft a QB only if he is ok with it.

i think drafting a QB in the 3rd, 4th, or 5th round makes sense to take over third string duties for 2021. If they show any promise, they can elevate to #2 for 2022 season. By then, Brady will decide if he retires or not and we decide if this guy can start or if we go a different route

• Roy

Participant

It is interesting about the “buzz around the league” that Mills could be a first rounder. What did Mike Maycock leave open a hot mike on a Zoom call? OK whatever.

As for the 2nd round – starting caliber QBs are going to go in the top 10 to 15 picks. You may get five 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder in most years. Its rare for a QB to be drafted in the 2nd round and those guys are borderline. Here are the most recent

Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer, Christian Hackenburg, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garrapolo, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, Andy Dalton.

Denver’s bailing on Lock already. SF is bailing on Garropolo. I’m not sold on Hurts. Dalton started for a number of years but never won anything, not his fault being on the Bengals. Carr is still starting in Oakland, not terrible.

At 32 you aren’t getting Tom Brady, but you might be getting Andy Dalton. So my question to you is… would you have the Bucs spend their 2021 #32 pick or maybe trade down into the 2nd round to get Andy Dalton?

• BadabingBucs

Participant

It is interesting about the “buzz around the league” that Mills could be a first rounder. What did Mike Maycock leave open a hot mike on a Zoom call? OK whatever.

As for the 2nd round – starting caliber QBs are going to go in the top 10 to 15 picks. You may get five 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder in most years. Its rare for a QB to be drafted in the 2nd round and those guys are borderline. Here are the most recent

Jalen Hurts, Drew Lock, DeShone Kizer, Christian Hackenburg, Derek Carr, Jimmy Garrapolo, Geno Smith, Brock Osweiler, Andy Dalton.

Denver’s bailing on Lock already. SF is bailing on Garropolo. I’m not sold on Hurts. Dalton started for a number of years but never won anything, not his fault being on the Bengals. Carr is still starting in Oakland, not terrible.

At 32 you aren’t getting Tom Brady, but you might be getting Andy Dalton. So my question to you is… would you have the Bucs spend their 2021 #32 pick or maybe trade down into the 2nd round to get Andy Dalton?

not to rain on your parade about later round picks, but let’s look at first round picks since 2014

i consider a bust a QB that isn’t starting with original team or has reached success with subsequent team (i.e. Drew Brees)

2014 – Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater – all bust

2015 – Winston, Mariota – all bust

2016 – Goff, Wentz, Lynch- all bust

2017 – Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson – Finally we have some starting caliber Qbs in Mahomes, Watson. Watson may bust for off field reasons but let’s call him a WIN for now.

2018 – Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson – Jury is still out on Mayfield, Allen, and Jackson. Not enough time has passed. Hell, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, and Winston all had some solid seasons as well before ultimately busting. Darnold and Rosen bust. So that’s say 3 starting caliber QBs but no slam dunks yet.

2019 – Murray, Jones, Haskins. Already Haskins has busted. Jones is meh and jury is out on Murray. Would say Murray fids in 2018 class category as maybe.

2020 – Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Love. Too early to tell on any of them.

so judging by 2014 to 2019 (excluding 2020). You had a slam dunk rate of 2 out of 19. Add in the maybe success and you get 6 out of 19.

moral of the story is that you bust more than not (that’s what she said!) and it’s better to go the route of KC, Baltimore, where the team is already successful and have a talented team around them. Basically dont do what the Jets always do and draft a QB on a shit team.

• Roy

Participant

If you don’t think Jackson or Allen are slam dunks then I don’t know what is. I see your point about how its risky to draft a QB with your first round pick. But the 2nd rounder is a different story simply because you aren’t risking as much. You are only risking a 2nd rounder and you still can come up with a guy who be a bridge-type starter.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say the Bucs traded into the mid 2nd round to get Mills or somebody like that who’s upside is a serviceable, bridge type QB. If you are the Bucs do you use a 2nd round pick on a bridge QB?

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Well, Lamar Jackson was gotten at 32. Still, with the need to shore up both lines more pressing, you don’t need a QB at 32.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

If you don’t think Jackson or Allen are slam dunks then I don’t know what is. I see your point about how its risky to draft a QB with your first round pick. But the 2nd rounder is a different story simply because you aren’t risking as much. You are only risking a 2nd rounder and you still can come up with a guy who be a bridge-type starter.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say the Bucs traded into the mid 2nd round to get Mills or somebody like that who’s upside is a serviceable, bridge type QB. If you are the Bucs do you use a 2nd round pick on a bridge QB?

prior to last year, Josh Allen had 2 seasons of a completion percentage under 60% and combined for 30 touchdowns to 21 INTs. (15 TDs to 10.5 INTs per season.) Dont get me wrong, he was a stud last year at 37 TDs, 10 INTs and 69% completion percentage but i remember Carson Wents in 2017 having an MVP type year only to become the mediocre at best guy he is now. It’s looking good for Josh Allen but let me see him repeat it in 2021

agree that Lamar Jackson might be able to be listed next to Mahomes and Watson lol.

as for Bucs using a second round pick, he will sit on the bench for at least 2 years so i dont think this is the year. 3rd or 4th round though. why not. just dont think we should be spending too much effort on Bradys replacement if he plays until 50 lol

• theknees

Participant

We should try to get Lock then.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Pass on qb this year’s draft. Load up on potential for repeat.

• TCB2W!

Participant

It won’t be possible to get Lock unless they can pick a top 5 QB and that’s looking iffy at the moment. If it’s true that Atlanta and Carolina is still considering picking a QB in the first round, then they may be out of luck.

• watson

Participant

This is the year to draft a future qb in round one. There are no “must have” needs for the team. The 32nd pick is basically the second round and by drafting in round one you get the 5th year on the contract to help with the development. If TB12 plays 2 or 3 more years, it gives the team a lot of mentoring for the future qb.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Keep building the trenches and make a move for a vet QB when Brady hangs it up.

• Greattimes

Participant

There will be at least 4 busts out of the top 6 QB’s taken in this years NFL draft.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

This is the year to draft a future qb in round one. There are no “must have” needs for the team. The 32nd pick is basically the second round and by drafting in round one you get the 5th year on the contract to help with the development. If TB12 plays 2 or 3 more years, it gives the team a lot of mentoring for the future qb.

problem is, when will Brady retire? If we 3-peet at the end of his 2022 season, being the only team to do so; then i could see him retiring. If not (and most likely), and he’s still playing at a competent level, and the team is contending the last 2 years (most likely) then i could see him playing past 2022.

we are obviously in the unknown here but drafting a QB to sit for one year makes sense, this guy is guaranteed to sit for at least 2 years so i wouldnt invest anymore than a 3rd round pick on it this year.

Feel they can use depth at edge, defensive line, offensive line more so than a QB that likely wont see the field for at least 2 years.

• Boid Fink

Participant

You don’t draft Hordan Love when you have Aaron Rodgers.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

At 32 I’d be LIVID.

• Wutt

Participant

Fk wasting a pick on a QB. Just wait until TB retires and bring in Aaron Rodgers :)

• Born A Buc For Life

Participant

>>Bring in Aaron Rodgers after Brady, obviously…

My man!

• Pennywise

Participant

No problem with Mills at 32 , as all the tools just lacks starts , only 490 career drop backs, also has quickest release in the draft

Get him and let him sit until Brady is done , couldn’t sit and learn from anyone better

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

I think it be a ridiculous reach since he’d be there later. We’d be taking a 1st round pick who doesn’t help in this short window at all, and it be based off very small sample size.
      I do think if he’s there in like 3rd or a K. Mond? Then okay I’m good with it. We don’t have a backup or an heir and both would be worth the pick there.

• Pennywise

Participant

JL already said they are drafting players for what they will be in 2 years , not what they are now

• tiapanda

Participant

The Bucs defense needs a 3rd edge rusher that can contribute this season in order to maintain the level of play they showed in the Super Bowl. That means we have to take a stud edger rusher at 32 or earlier. In a 3 man rotation the rookie will get plenty of snaps as JPP needs to get some plays off instead of being gassed frequently. The Bucs need a 4th RB, so we’ll pick one at some point in the draft, but the Bucs won the Super Bowl because of their DEFENSE.

• Born A Buc For Life

Participant

Every season there is a trash QB that gets hyped closer to the draft.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.