Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

This year 3 QBs were drafted in the 60s.

The only QB in the last 15 years drafted in the 60s was Jimmy Garroppolo, the Patriots 62nd pick in 2014.

The Bucs are the only Superbowl Team in the last 30 years to use their pick #32 on a QB. Tavaris Jackson was the 64th pick in 2006, however, Pittsburg had traded the pick to the Vikings.

Charlie Frye 67 and Andrew Walter 69 were in 2005, the only year with two. Charlie Batch and Kordell Stewart were both pick #60. That’s it, six 60s QBs in the last 30 years. One every five years (50 picks) on average, until this year.

One thing I find interesting about this range is it covers the best teams at the end of Rd 2 (60-64) and the worst teams at the beginning of Round 3 (65-69). Neither of those two groups like to use this spot to get a QB until this year.

So what to make of it? Frye, Walter, Stewart, Batch, Jackson, Garoppolo. All of them made the team and played a few years at least. None became franchise QBs, Garoppolo being the closest, but the 49ers just drafted his replacement. They have been backups/spot starters. Do any of the three drafted this year including Kyle Trask project to be anything other than a backup, fill-in starter? I don’t think so.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Trask…lol!

• BucWonder

Participant

Great choice!

• BucsFan83

Participant

So historically, that slot for Quarterbacks means they are at the very least serviceable.

*Edit* – I actually was a fan of Charlie Batch, even if he did kick the Bucs #$% every time he played us.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I wouldn’t have done it but I think their hope is that learning from Brady and getting coaching for a couple of years before he sees the field that maybe he can be a cheap starter when Brady leaves with bigger hopes he can be more. I would hope a guy like that could learn and gain something from the goat that will make him better, but then again haven’t there been quite a few back ups to Tom Brady and where are they? He likely amounts to nothing but I can see what they were thinking.

• SunnyD

Participant

It will be interesting to see if sitting and watching for 1-2 years actually helps an average QB prospect or if a guy is what he is.

People always point to Mahomes and Rodgers “sitting and learning” but those guys were transcendent prospects destined to be great whether they sat or played early.

I think there is an argument to be made that Tony Romo and Kirk Cousins benefitted from little live action early in their careers as average to below average rookie prospects. Then again maybe a guy just has it or he doesn’t because Dak Prescott was an average rookie prospect with a scouting report shockingly similar to Trask (https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2015/12/24/everything-you-need-to-know-about-2016-nfl-draft-prospect-dak-prescott/) and he played pretty well right out of the gate.

I guess it’s impossible to prove time as a backup did or didn’t help a prospect other than taking the coaches at their world. I do think Trask will provide some pretty good evidence in this regard. No one thinks he is going to be a truly elite player so if he takes the field in 2023 and dominates I’m going to take that as proof that sitting and learning behind a good coaching staff and a great QB can really help and improve an average prospect. If he craps the bed after two years with Brady and this staff it’s going to throw a lot of cold water on the “Sit and Learn” QB development theory.

• Barnz1

Participant

This is why picking a QB in the second round is a waste. You aren’t getting the top tier QB talent from the second round unless you strike an insane amount of luck.

And you aren’t going anywhere in the NFL with the 6th-7th ranked QB from a particular draft year because in the NFL you need higher end to elite QB’s to compete to for SB’s. Middling QB’s don’t get it done.

Either pick one late in the draft purely to develop for depth in the hope you strike that insane luck (doesn’t work out? Who cares as you didn’t spend a good pick). Or very early in the first round to get the best talent to increase your chances of getting that franchise QB exponentially. In between is no mans land for QB’s. And we did this in a SB window. Waste.

• Natural Selection

Participant

This would be my thought process as well. I am 100% “win now”, and was open to trading early picks for future drafts. Build draft capital for a year or two down the road. Either have a bad season and/or have the extra picks to move up later.

If Trask becomes a quality starter, even if not the best in his class, it will obviously be a homerun pick. I have to admit there’s a much better chance to draft a quality starter for 2023/4 now than if we waited. If Trask is even a “quality backup” they trust with the #2 job, he will be a significant cap savings over a vet backup.

Mostly, I’m hoping this is something Tom Brady is truly on board with. He’s obviously here to win and not coach/mentor the next Bucs QB. As long as this didn’t ruffle his feathers in any way, I can live with it. My main function as GM would be trying to keep Tom playing as long as I possibly could.

• Roy

Participant

Trask was only one of three QBs taken in the 60s though, so something changed in the minds of some. Maybe the value of having a game manager QB with a rookie contract on your depth chart is more important now. I don’t see that Trask is much of an upgrade over Gabbert, but they have Trask locked in. If Gabbert ended up the starter in 2022 they’d have to pay him a lot more. I don’t know. I’m just trying to make sense of it after the fact.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

But by 2023 Trask will be half way done with his rookie contract. So you lose 50% of the rookie contract value to build talent around Trask IF he takes over at some point. And lets not kid ourselves but he needs talent around him to look competent.

Build the trenches!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Awful waste of a selection.

• kenntak

Participant

Wow, a lot of whining and multiple threads about a QB who has not thrown a pass in the NFL.

• RW

Participant

Trask…lol!

I love when guys like you think you know better than than all the brains on a pro football team.
      Here’s the point: The guy with the most “influence” on the pick is Arians who is renowned in the league as an expert on offensive football and QBs in particular. Don’t you think he might realize that the Bucs could use an upgrade in the position in case Brady goes down? And knowing that they couldn’t get a Fields or Jones they looked around and decided Trask could be that guy and possibly a good starter down the road. One thing for certain is that Trask will benefit and grow being ina QB-centric environment such as TBay.

• RW

Participant

Awful waste of a selection.

Arrogant take from a guy who thinks he knows more than the coach known as the “QB Whisperer”!

• Roy

Participant

Trask…lol!

I love when guys like you think you know better than than all the brains on a pro football team.
      Here’s the point: The guy with the most “influence” on the pick is Arians who is renowned in the league as an expert on offensive football and QBs in particular. Don’t you think he might realize that the Bucs could use an upgrade in the position in case Brady goes down? And knowing that they couldn’t get a Fields or Jones they looked around and decided Trask could be that guy and possibly a good starter down the road. One thing for certain is that Trask will benefit and grow being ina QB-centric environment such as TBay.

Arians has only drafted one other QB as a HC, Logan Thomas with pick 120 in 2014. Licht has only drafted one QB with pick 1.1, Jameis Winston. There may have been a few discussions on this board about how that turned out, so I won’t rehash that. Arians knows how to coach the QBs, but does he or Licht know how to draft one? That is unproven.

• Greattimes

Participant

Saying that because QB’s selected in the 60’s in past drafts were failures, that any QB selected in the60’s in any draft will be failures is a fallacy of logic.

That is the same as saying that any QB selected in the first round will be a bust because Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell were busts. Fallacy of Logic.

Or maybe the Bucs should only select QB’s in the 6th round because Brady turned out to be the GOAT. Or as a backup plan the Bucs should find a former college QB who is working in a supermarket because that QB will be a clone of Kurt Warner. Fallacy of Logic.

• Roy

Participant

Greattimes, I never said Trask would be a bust. I don’t think those few QBs who were selected in that range were flat out busts for the most part. They were backup/fill in quarterbacks. You get what you pay for, and if you spend a pick in the 60s on a QB you should expect to get a backup/fill in quarterback. If you exceed those expectations that’s great. Does that mean they were busts? I don’t think you would call Jimmy Garoppolo or Tavaris Jackson busts. They were mediocre starting quarterbacks.

The question is why haven’t teams wanted to use a pick in the 60s to get a backup quarterback? I have to assume that they didn’t think it was worth it. But the Bucs and two other teams did think it was worth it this year. Do any of these teams really think they are getting a stud franchise QB of the future? Maybe they hope that and maybe they talk a good game, but I don’t think they really are counting on that. I think they know what they are getting.

• Natural Selection

Participant

I think there’s a strong case to be made for drafting a backup QB, even in the second round. The cap is a significant consideration, and will be as long as we are a destination for quality vets. Having a backup you’re comfortable with for barely over vet minimum, locked in 4 years, is a significant cap value. At a time where lots of teams are paying 5-10 times that price.

It’s not unreasonable for the team going into the repeat attempt to not want any rookie locked into that backup spot. So if they resign Gabbert and cut Griffen later, I get it. If Trask isn’t at least giving us the value of a cheap primary backup in 2022, I’ll start to ask much stronger questions.

QBs that don’t play also hold their value unlike any other position. Sometimes they even increase in value with time not playing. So it’s reasonable the Bucs could get a season or two of cheap backup and still return similar draft capital in a trade. As long as he doesn’t flat out poop on himself repeatedly.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I think it has to do with having something in place for when Brady leaves. I don’t think he is necessarily the plan going forward after Brady leaves but he will likely get a shot. At least for now puts a damper on the need for a guy after Brady leaves. I’m sure they will see how he’s doing after a year or so to see if it was worth it or not. If not I don’t think they think they lost anything of real value. The team has all its starters and most backups coming back that won the super bowl the year before. I’d prefer they used on more depth but they wanted to use the draft to get depth and to take a chance on a qb that they believe could be good learning under Brady. If he turns out ok a lot of people will be happy with the pick. Even if we don’t win the Super bowl this year. If he isn’t is anybody really gonna lose sleep over a pick in the very bottom of second round didn’t work out?

• m_j

Participant

lamar was drafted on #32 but that was trade

whatever, that all meqns nothing. useless stats in crazy times where everyone is looking for some digits

play ball, forget stats and digits. the only digit that counts is score!

• seekpar

Participant

The list of some of the best QBs in the 60s has to include Sonny Jurgensen, Johnny Unitas, Charley Johnson, and Bart Starr.

• JC5100

Participant

Think a better comparison is the 2012 draft when you had Luck 1, RG3 2 ,Tannehill 8. Then you had steals later with Wilson 75, Foles 88, Cousins 102.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.