Question about 3-4 Defense, DLine/OLB's/Edge Rushers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Live4BUCS
    Participant

So with all of the draft talk about what to do @ 5 and with the new 3-4 defense we’re running, i find that I really don’t know what a 3-4 Dline should look like. Can someone breakdown the type of player’s we need as the 3 down linemen? I’m getting confused because of all of the Ed Oliver/Quinnen Williams draft talk, but we already have Vea. Does this mean Oliver/Williams would line up on the outside and rush the passer (IE: Von Miller?).

Right now i believe the Dline Looks like this
    Nassib – Vea/McCoy – JPP (or would McCoy move to the outside and replace Nassib?)

If we draft Oliver/Williams
    Oliver/Will – Vea – Jpp

What changes if we draft a Josh Allen? He’s a much different body type than Williams/Oliver.

Where is Lavonte left in all of this?

Pardon me for my lack of knowledge.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

SCLOBERNOCKER
    Participant

Nassib and JPP are both OLB in a 34 front. Nickle/Dime will have them as traditional ends in a 4 man front.

Currently, in a 3 man front, you would likely see a line of:

Gholston – Vea – McCoy  //  Nassib – David – ??? – JPP as the LB group

Oliver and QW can really play any spot on the line in a 3 man front. Allen would obviously be an OLB and a hand in the dirt guy when we go nickle/dime.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Defense5599
    Blocked

Basically with a 3/4, you need a bowling ball guy in the middle as your nose tackle who can take on two blockers at a time on every play.   Vea fits that mold perfectly.  The two DE’s in a 3/4 would normally line up as DT’s in a 4/3.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

Still be in nickle 70 % of time,just need versatile players..34 or 43 doesnt matter as much as it did years ago,when teams were in base the majority of time

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

It sounds like our Base Nickel is going to be a One Gap 3-3-5.  Let us assume we have the below draft DL – Oliver, CB – Layne, ILB – Cashman.

Our Base and Base 3-3-5 Nickel would look like this in terms of run fits/support.

Open B – JPP (3 tech)

Closed A – Vea (1 tech)

Closed B – Oliver (3 tech)

Open C/Cut-back and Boot – Nassib (On Ball WOLB)

Force (Closed) – Barrett (On Ball SOLB)

Open A/Scrape (to Closed) – LVD (Off Ball WILB)

Closed C/Scrape (to Closed)  – Cashman/Whitehead/Bucannon (Off Ball SILB or Stacked SS)

Layne/Davis – Boundary CBs

VH3 – NCB

Evans – FS

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Buc on the Move
    Participant

Doesn’t sound so bad…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.