Viewing 15 reply threads

  • Author

    Posts

    • Feel Real Good

      Participant
      Post count: 59

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn’t and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 4755

      A lot of dumb ass fools are trying to make him the scapegoat for QB ing a 2 win team and a 4 win team (Cards and Raiders).I havent really looked at these numbers before. Intersting that as you point out, he appears to have been improving all along. I think McCown could have a great year for us. Some players just need a coach who believes in them and an opportunity. That is literally the only difference between players who are stars and players who are out on the street. Some guys just need that right situation. It helps to have a great system and advanced teaching methods as well.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 395

      McCown won’t be the weaklink on this team like the position was last season. I like our qb situation and believe drafting a qb in the 1st three rnds for this team would be idiotic. Can’t have enough quality olinemen and dlinemen

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 4755

      I think that drafting a QB would actually make us a weaker team in the short run because I would not expect him to start or play. But if the right guy is there you have to sacrifice the now in order to have a chance at greatness later. We have a stable QB situation right now. This would be the best time to bring a kid in and allow him to learn the system and learn how to prepare, etc. Even if the starting QB goes down he would not be forced into playing. Just ask yourself, if we dont draft a QB this year when we have an early pick, when are we? Im not expecting to have anywhere near this high of a pick for years.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 401

      I really think McCown just needs to be like Brad Johnson for the offense to click. Nothing fancy, be accurate and move the chains. Really interested to see what Tedford’s offense looks like.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 11506

      Joshie Football : best QB in the league last year when under pressure  . Facts , son !! 2013-11-0418_00_42.gif

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 2601

      I really think McCown just needs to be like Brad Johnson for the offense to click. Nothing fancy, be accurate and move the chains. Really interested to see what Tedford's offense looks like.

      Johnson was a pro bowler.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 2697

      McCown is a bridge QB for the QB the Bucs are going to draft this year….The rookie is going to rid the rock this year and get tutored...next year he will start with McCown serving a the backup and insurance....You can put away your lube...McCown is not going to be the long term solution here...

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 3392

      Nice post, FRG. I’ve been trying to think of a comparable to McCown, and one I keep coming back to is someone like Todd Collins. Most people figured that Collins was what he was and sitting on the bench hadn’t changed that. Collins had basically been improving behind the scenes and when he got his chance with the Skins realized it might be his last/only chance he performed. I agree with Havok that this doesn't change the fact that he's a bridge.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 3027

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn't and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      55 passes can be an aberration. Hell, the 6 games he played last year can be an abberation. Unlikely his entire NFL career is an aberration. He put up good numbers last year. There is not debating it. I'm a firm believer that he may have benefited from his coach last year, a scheme, TERRIBLE PASS DEFENSES HE FACED, and two legit #1 receivers. I've been through this in another thread I started. McCown put up big numbers against terrible defense's with monster WR. Glennon put up big numbers against bad defenses and we said he stunk because it was harder against top 10 defenses.Regardless of who you think will be our starter next year. You're crazy if you think McCown is going to past a 109 passer rating against the level of competition he'll be facing week in and week out in the NFC South.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 5188

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn't and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      55 passes can be an aberration. Hell, the 6 games he played last year can be an abberation. Unlikely his entire NFL career is an aberration. He put up good numbers last year. There is not debating it. I'm a firm believer that he may have benefited from his coach last year, a scheme, TERRIBLE PASS DEFENSES HE FACED, and two legit #1 receivers. I've been through this in another thread I started. McCown put up big numbers against terrible defense's with monster WR. Glennon put up big numbers against bad defenses and we said he stunk because it was harder against top 10 defenses.Regardless of who you think will be our starter next year. You're crazy if you think McCown is going to past a 109 passer rating against the level of competition he'll be facing week in and week out in the NFC South.

      Solid take.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 3392

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn't and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      55 passes can be an aberration. Hell, the 6 games he played last year can be an abberation. Unlikely his entire NFL career is an aberration. He put up good numbers last year. There is not debating it. I'm a firm believer that he may have benefited from his coach last year, a scheme, TERRIBLE PASS DEFENSES HE FACED, and two legit #1 receivers. I've been through this in another thread I started. McCown put up big numbers against terrible defense's with monster WR. Glennon put up big numbers against bad defenses and we said he stunk because it was harder against top 10 defenses.Regardless of who you think will be our starter next year. You're crazy if you think McCown is going to past a 109 passer rating against the level of competition he'll be facing week in and week out in the NFC South.

      Fair point, on the sample size, but who thinks he's repeating 109? There are only 3 QBs who crossed 100 last year (playing all 16 games). Nobody. The issue is whether he's a useful stop-gap, not the future of the franchise.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 5188

      Mac is a Lovie special.Just a run of the mill QB.  He will put all his focus on defense, and eventually, we will be groaning for a new offense...and Lovie will face the same bullets he did while in Chicago.I hope I am wrong.  But Lovie is what he is.  A defensive minded Head Coach with a poor offensive track record.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 4623

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn't and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      55 passes can be an aberration. Hell, the 6 games he played last year can be an abberation. Unlikely his entire NFL career is an aberration. He put up good numbers last year. There is not debating it. I'm a firm believer that he may have benefited from his coach last year, a scheme, TERRIBLE PASS DEFENSES HE FACED, and two legit #1 receivers. I've been through this in another thread I started. McCown put up big numbers against terrible defense's with monster WR. Glennon put up big numbers against bad defenses and we said he stunk because it was harder against top 10 defenses.Regardless of who you think will be our starter next year. You're crazy if you think McCown is going to past a 109 passer rating against the level of competition he'll be facing week in and week out in the NFC South.

      Fair point, on the sample size, but who thinks he's repeating 109? There are only 3 QBs who crossed 100 last year (playing all 16 games). Nobody. The issue is whether he's a useful stop-gap, not the future of the franchise.

      Exactly. I hope no one is expecting that. I'd think the realistic expectation for him playing well would yield a passer rating between 90-95.

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 2847

          McCown said in interviews his light bulb came on during his time coaching High School football, just before Lovie brought him back to the NFL in 2011. He started really analyzing the game, strategies, opponents etc; stopped relying strictly on physical skills, and put much more effort into pre-game preparation…

      Please wait…

    • Anonymous

      Inactive
      Post count: 3027

      The popular narrative during the 2013 season was that Josh McCown came out of nowhere to be a different player than he ever was before. Well, what if he didn't and had already shown significant signs of improvement? The crux of this argument is that McCown's two and a half game stint in 2011 was a sign that he had already gotten a lot better. Prior to 2011, the last time he had any meaningful NFL game action was in 2007 with the Raiders. That season he posted a 58.4 completion percentage, 6.1 yards per attempt, a 10/11 TD/INT ratio, and a 69.4 QB rating. None of those numbers are good and they're mostly in line with everything he did prior in his career. But then look at his 2011 numbers. He posted a 63.6 completion percentage, which is very good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #6 in the NFL. He posted a 7.5 yards per attempt, which, again, is pretty good. Among qualified passers in 2011, he would have ranked #14. The biggest problem with his numbers is he only threw 2 TDs to 4 INTs, which killed his passer rating, which was only 68.3, in line with the rest of his career. But some people will tell you TDs and INTs aren't the greatest indicators for who is getting the job done on a pass-by-pass basis because a QB only throws a TD or INT on roughly 10% of the passes he throws. What happens on the other 90%? McCown threw 55 passes in 2011. So what would happen if McCown threw 54 of them exactly the way he did and the 55th resulted in one more TD and one less INT? His QB rating jumps up to 83.9. What if you flip flopped his TDs and INTs and left everything else the same? Now he's at 99.6. It's entirely arguable that McCown was only two passes away from being the player he was in 2013 back in 2011.

      55 passes can be an aberration. Hell, the 6 games he played last year can be an abberation. Unlikely his entire NFL career is an aberration. He put up good numbers last year. There is not debating it. I'm a firm believer that he may have benefited from his coach last year, a scheme, TERRIBLE PASS DEFENSES HE FACED, and two legit #1 receivers. I've been through this in another thread I started. McCown put up big numbers against terrible defense's with monster WR. Glennon put up big numbers against bad defenses and we said he stunk because it was harder against top 10 defenses.Regardless of who you think will be our starter next year. You're crazy if you think McCown is going to past a 109 passer rating against the level of competition he'll be facing week in and week out in the NFC South.

      Fair point, on the sample size, but who thinks he's repeating 109? There are only 3 QBs who crossed 100 last year (playing all 16 games). Nobody. The issue is whether he's a useful stop-gap, not the future of the franchise.

      Exactly. I hope no one is expecting that. I'd think the realistic expectation for him playing well would yield a passer rating between 90-95.

      That would be a gigantic improvement. You realize the Saints were #2 in pass defense and the Panthers were #7. That's a much more difficult thing to play well against when compared to the Packers, Vikings and Lions

      Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.