Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Who is the “best” coach the Buccaneers have ever had? (not necessarily the most successful as a Bucaneer) If you had to hire a coach and all four were available, which one would you hire? Rank them from 1-4.

John McKay, Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Bruce Arians.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Tony Dungy. He built the team that John Gruden won a Super Bowl with. He had them set to contend for years to come. But they mortgaged the future to bring in Gruden and the piper came to collect pretty early.

• BucWonder

Participant

Remember Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, and Alsott were already here when Tony arrived. More of the SB players were Gruden’s, including half of the starting offense.

• m_j

Participant

dungy if only talk HC

otherwise monte

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Sad Monte never got a HC gig.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DEBUCSOWN.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

1. Gruden
      2. Arians.
      3. Dungy

I love me some TD but couldn’t get over the hump. At least in Tampa.

Glad he won one for Indy.

• buc_boi

Participant

Tom Brady
      Tony dungy
      Chunky
      Arian

In that order

• JC5100

Participant

The best coach the Bucs ever had is Monte Kiffin.

• Donkey

Participant

Don’t know how anyone can rank McKay or Dungy above the two Head Coaches that actually won a Super Bowl.

• kenntak

Participant

I will wait to see how things go with BA first. :)

• Kermit56

Participant

Gruden
      Arians
      McKay
      Dungy

• Roy

Participant

The question was “best” head coach, not “most successful Bucs HC”. If you had to hire one of them for your team, who would you hire? That’s the question.

You have to look at McKay. He won 3 college national championships by the AP Poll, 4 by the Coaches Poll. He had an impossible job coaching for an expansion team with a cheapskate owner. Would any of those other three have fared any better than three playoff appearances in 9 years? How good would the Bucs have been if they had resigned Doug Williams? There were questions about his ability to communicate, but Gruden has been know to wear thin on his players as well. Sure if “ifs” and “buts” were candy and nuts something something…. but that’s what I’m asking. Who was the best head coach?

There isn’t a huge gap between 1-4, but I’ll go with Arians slight edge over the rest. I’m not saying Arians is a hall of fame coach, but I think he nudges out the competition IMO.

1) Arians. Great
      2) McKay. Lost 44 more games than he won, but who would have done better with that ownership? Sure college is a different job, but winning college titles does indicate there is some ability to coach there.
      3) Gruden. In the office by 5am, but his act wears thin over time.
      4) Dungy. Motivator, great person, refused to give over power of the offense.

Again, all four were very good coaches, and of there is no clearcut difference, which is why I think its a good topic of discussion. As for Kiffin, his only HC experience was at 3 years at NC State (16-17) after which he was let go. He was a great DC, but that’s a totally different job from HC. He never received a HC job, and that fact alone might tell you something.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.