Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• CCCP

Participant

I was back at RayJay in January for something and it was the first time since the place opened that I noticed its age. The Bucs broke ground on the place in 1996 – so it’s nearing 20 years old already. While it’s still a great place to watch a game I do wonder about its future.I know the Bucs and the Sports Authority are putting in some money to do upgrades, mainly those completely out of date scoreboards - and that's great, but the Bucs were very clear about not signing any type of extension as part of the deal.After seeing the amazing work that the Lightning have done with the Ice Palace I hope the team and the TSA can figure out how to bring that magic to the Bucs. If I recall the numbers correctly the Lightning (mostly) have spent around $60mil or so upgrading the place over the last few years - and after not being there for a few years it's amazing that's the same place that opened 20-years ago, it doesn't even remotely look anywhere close to that age and is truly an awesome arena. For $60-mil I figured they'd put in new seats, scoreboards, some other minor stuff, but I mean it's fantastic now - I was legit impressed they did so much with (relatively) so little.So with that said I know RayJay is not an arena, it's dramatically larger which means dramatically larger costs - but what is the future of the stadium? With the amazing stadiums coming up all over the league how long until the London Buccaneers rumors are in full force? I was looking at the renderings of the $100-mil in upgrades coming to RayJay and I have no idea where the money is going other than to the scoreboards. I know they've mentioned some new club stuff but they really should be spending a lot of money improving the main level concourse, it feels out of date. So I'm not exactly sure what they're doing with the money, I know the Bucs are in for I think $60-mil, but unlike the Lightning it doesn't seem to be much of a commitment in the big scheme.Anyways back to my point, how long until we start hearing the need for a new stadium? Since we're 18-years into a 30-year lease I'm going to guess we got a solid 6-years still. Also I really hope as part of that $100-mil they power wash the place. I mean they should be doing it anyways, but it looked pretty bad in that regard. Again I'm not ragging on the place, it really is a nice place to watch a game, but it's no longer a great stadium - and that hurts when it comes to getting Super Bowls and future big events. If they can pull off some magic the way the Lightning did with the Amalie Arena then I think we can put off those London Bucs rumors for hopefully another couple of decades.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyways back to my point, how long until we start hearing the need for a new stadium? 

Los Angeles Coliseum opened 1923.  Soldier Field, 1924.Upgrade, renovate, sure, whatever, but Ray Jay is a fantastic, made for football stadium.  Real grass, fresh air, wind, sun, rain, hot, cold, fun to be there, fun to watch it on tv.  I just can't imagine ever a need for a new stadium for many,many, years.  Just my opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is absolutely no need to replace Ray Jay. It’s getting $100 million in upgrades which includes the score boards, and redoing all their luxury boxes. The rest of the stadium is just fine. Down the road there could be more upgrades. Another reason why RJS isn't going anywhere...the Rays! The Rays need a new stadium and any money will be eaten up to do that. Now the Community Investment Tax will wear off at some point and then that money could be extended...but now new takes will be voted on IMO. The bottom line...it's still a great place to watch a game and there's room to expand and tweak the experience there. With the Rays needing a new stadium...there's no way this area can afford to build 2 stadiums. Shoot...they can barely afford to build one. RJS will be here for a long time. If the Bucs try to hold us hostage after the lease is up...let them go. I am fine with spending money for upgrades but RJS is still a great place to watch football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah to be clear I don’t think they need a new stadium – I’m just wondering when we’re going to start hearing that talk. From the renderings of what they are doing with that $100-million, I honestly don’t get where the money is going. My big point was that the Lightning have took a 20-year old building, in new arenas and stadium money they didn’t spend an insane amount and yet they have something that is absolutely top notch.With RayJay they have a great base, a stadium that used to be a world class facility, it just isn't that anymore. Go to a Lightning game then head over to RJ, there is a huge difference. If you go back 10 years and did the same thing, you'd absolutely think RJ was a top flight facility.So anyways I'm just saying get the people that did the Ice Palace and say "do that" to Raymond James. If it costs say $300-million over the next 7-8 years and they can bring it back up to being a world class stadium, the city and the team should figure out how to make that work. Let's be honest, not having a top notch stadium is the reason the Super Bowl isn't coming back to town anytime soon and while they got the NC game after promising some big upgrades, personally I'm hoping these upgrades are just step 1 in a multi-year process of making sure we have a top notch place for another 20 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A roof would be nice. Not a dome, just a sun shade type thing, to keep the rain out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is there a better franchise and owner than the Lightning and Vinick?  I don’t believe so.  Didn’t think I would see any owner pay for renovations of the building, I would never have believed an owner of any sports franchise giving $50,000 to charities and folks that do good things though out the area.  They are the best I know of – and the folks in second are pretty far back… Oh yea, and they win regularly... a really nice feature. And I would like to see the installation of a roof AJ - but I suspect the community will be paying for it if it is to happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the Bucs try to hold us hostage after the lease is up...let them go.

Much easier typed than done!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Much easier typed than done!!

Let them go, as in move to another city?That would be just our luck. Licht build a playoff team, they are in the playoffs every season. Winston is winning all kinds of awards. And they move to St Louis or San Antonio or London.

Please wait…

• ryanprovenzano

Participant

A roof would be nice. Not a dome, just a sun shade type thing, to keep the rain out.

Most definitly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One of the biggest selling points to the community in having public money in a stadium here is the untold of dollars it brings in every time we have a national game in December and it’s sunny and 75 degrees you got a lot of people booking vacations to the area, if they don’t book it then they do later. Putting a roof on the stadium would be a big hinderance to do that, even if it’s not a complete roof it would still dramatically affect the visual appeal of watching a game on TV – and TV is obviously the most important aspect of the NFL since it’s by far where they get most of their money. Finally from an engineering standpoint I’m not sure how you could retrofit RayJay with a roof as obviously it wasn’t built with that in mind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're probably be the stupidest man that has ever lived.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...... even if it's not a complete roof it would still dramatically affect the visual appeal of watching a game on TV - and TV is obviously the most important aspect of the NFL since it's by far where they get most of their money. Finally from an engineering standpoint I'm not sure how you could retrofit RayJay with a roof as obviously it wasn't built with that in mind.

Keep denying the obvious, you'll only prolong the agony.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Putting a roof on the stadium would be a big hinderance to do that, even if it's not a complete roof it would still dramatically affect the visual appeal of watching a game on TV - and TV is obviously the most important aspect of the NFL since it's by far where they get most of their money. Finally from an engineering standpoint I'm not sure how you could retrofit RayJay with a roof as obviously it wasn't built with that in mind.

Dolphins stadium wasn't built with that in mind either:tempRenovation4--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

meanwhile….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How about you learn proper grammar before you start calling people stupid.I never said I wanted the team to leave. I just said that if the team's lease expires and they try to hold us hostage for a new stadium...I'd refuse and let them leave. I am not against upgrades.We just dropped $100 million into that stadium. The lease will be up 10 years after that construction is complete. Now I do expect to have to put more money into the stadium as time goes on...but there's no way we need a brand new $500 million stadium when we already have RJS.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classic "your dumb" post

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classic "your dumb" post

in defense of Cyrus, how can any fan of the team have a "just let them go" attitude?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classic "your dumb" post

That's pretty much everything you post here isn't it? I mean if we are going to start jumping on  silly typographical errors imagine the scope of vulnerability you present.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classic "your dumb" post

in defense of Cyrus, how can any fan of the team have a "just let them go" attitude?

I agree with Cyrus (and you).  I just meant that it was funny that he called someone dumb while making the error.  The "just let them go" comment by a fan is absurd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classic "your dumb" post

That's pretty much everything you post here isn't it? I mean if we are going to start jumping on  silly typographical errors imagine the scope of vulnerability you present.

lol. Yeah . .  that's everything I post.  Pfft.  By the way, the person you were calling dumb made the same observation that I did, before me even.  No response from you to that poster, right?  Also, it was not a "typographical" error, it was grammar error.  ;)man, humor is a one way street, I guess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why is it absurd? I am a huge Bucs fan. Have been a fan since the early 80s when I moved to the Tampa area as a kid. I go to as many games as I can.My point is that we already have a very nice stadium. It's getting $100 million in upgrades. The lease is up 10 years later. Tax payers paid for that stadium 100% and are paying nearly 75% of the upgrades. I find it absurd that RJS could be considered obsolete in 10 years (especially after just spending $100 million to upgrade it). If the Bucs come saying we need a new stadium, they better be forking over a huge chunk of change. Like I said...I am okay spending some money on upgrades; however, the Bucs aren't going to get a sweet deal like they did last time. When I said held hostage...the Bucs threatened to leave and the citizens of Hillsborough County paid for that stadium. The Bucs didn't put 1 penny of their own money into it. That's what I meant by held hostage. If they expect that kind of sweet deal again...then (as hard as it would be to lose the team) I say let them go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Putting a roof on the stadium would be a big hinderance to do that, even if it's not a complete roof it would still dramatically affect the visual appeal of watching a game on TV - and TV is obviously the most important aspect of the NFL since it's by far where they get most of their money. Finally from an engineering standpoint I'm not sure how you could retrofit RayJay with a roof as obviously it wasn't built with that in mind.

Dolphins stadium wasn't built with that in mind either:tempRenovation4--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Nice, something like that would be great. And it wouldn't cost 100 zillion dollars. Hell, a well to do guy like yourself, could finance that himself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Roof cost is pretty stiff – 350 millionhttp://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2013/04/26/partial-roof-for-dolphins-stadium-has.html

Please wait…

• DanTurksGhost

Participant

I am sure after 20 years Raymond James is showng it’s age but at this point I would rather focus my energy on the on field product. 

Please wait…

• rpratto

Participant

What I would like to see is the Glazers buy the RayJay from the Tampa Sports Authority.  Granted, it may cost them a pretty penny, but after a few Outback Bowls, Super Bowls, USF games, concerts, etc….. they will make that money back and then some.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Roof cost is pretty stiff - 350 millionhttp://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2013/04/26/partial-roof-for-dolphins-stadium-has.html

the $350 covers the roof and some......

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If some of you guys saw the other stadiums around the league, you would be horrified. Oakland for instance is a real dump.

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.