Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105240/article/chargers-panthers-set-to-swap-okung-for-turner

Without Turner to anchor that middle Suh is going to feast with Vea. And they have Okung out there on an island? Shaq and JPP are going to feast.

Licht don’t screw this up. Re-up Suh, Shaq and JPP.

Build the trenches!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup. Suh is strong as hell, and angry, makes that defense have a mental mindset different than other DTs could bring.

Shaq/JPP are pure pass rushers, with the ability to press at the point of attack.

I agree, gotta sign these guys back.

• buc_boi

Participant

Agreed, priority #2 for sure.

• buccnation

Participant

Suh shouldn’t be as high a priority as others. Obviously Shaq should be number 1 on the resign list but I’d also have JPP over Suh. I wouldn’t give Suh top dollar. Would love to have him back but he’s replaceable as is JPP.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suh was a big reason the Bucs were the best run stopping team in the league. He is incredibly strong and can eat a double and still push it consistently. A lot of big DTs get walked or walled off, and can’t make a play or redirect. Suh ain’t that guy. I think he is important for this defense, very important. I don’t think he will fetch top dollar, but he will want his mercenary coin for sure. Plus he wants to stay. Says a lot. Vea and Suh are just strong, the strongest pair of DTs in the entire NFL for sure.

• buccnation

Participant

Would love to have him back but I feel as though Vea anchors the line. Would like to have someone who can rush the passer a little more to pair with Vea. But if we can get Suh for a reasonable price then I am all for him coming back.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

I love Suh and Vea but they are pushers not pass rushers. Kinlaw would be awesome on passing downs instead of Suh. It would also keep Suh fresh throughout the year. But our need at OT & RB is so massive it doesn’t seem like we can use that first pick on defense. 😔

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unfortunately there is no way we can pay Suh and JPP their asking prices and retain Shaq and sign a QB. So Suh and JPP are going into the market and will probably get a bigger contract out there than what we can/should offer, hopefully they at least give us a fair shake to match what they get offered on the open market. I think fans need to realize this as we talk QB contract for TB or Winston. That money is coming from somewhere and it’s likely coming from Suh and/or JPP.

• Havok904

Participant

It may be easier to resign Suh and Barrett.

JPP may want to test the market and I doubt the Bucs will open the check book to match what he finds. A rookie replacement is waiting in the draft.

• buccnation

Participant

I love Suh and Vea but they are pushers not pass rushers. Kinlaw would be awesome on passing downs instead of Suh. It would also keep Suh fresh throughout the year. But our need at OT & RB is so massive it doesn’t seem like we can use that first pick on defense. 😔

Other than OT I dont see another offensive position we should spend our 1st round pick on.

• Havok904

Participant

J.A.S.H.E.R.
      I love Suh and Vea but they are pushers not pass rushers. Kinlaw would be awesome on passing downs instead of Suh. It would also keep Suh fresh throughout the year. But our need at OT & RB is so massive it doesn’t seem like we can use that first pick on defense.
      _____
      Typically in a 3-4, the NT and DEs are generally run stuffers. The pass rush is usually generated by the EDGE rushers.

• GameTime

Participant

How about raekwon from bama in the 2nd instead? Use the first for a OT, our 3rd for a G.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

3-4 defenses still put versatile dlinemen (guys like JPP, Nassib) on the interior part of the line on passing downs. Including Bowles.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Based on my rough napkin calculations the Bucs can re-sign Shaq, JPP, Suh, and most FA QB1s on the open market while still having $20 mil left over thanks to the possibility of the new CBA pushing the cap upward with an additional $3-5 mil.

In that scenario it means the Bucs can’t re-sign Perriman and Nassib. But given that both may be overpaid I think it works out for all parties involved. This is because Perriman is going to receive more than $5 mil per year on the open market while Nassib’s production will net him at least triple of what he made as a Buc on the open market. Combined Nassib and Perriman may cost more than $15 mil easily and that doesn’t make sense for the Bucs.

Bucs want to extend Lavonte David and Godwin.

Bucs can give Lavonte another new contract with a low base salary and full guarantee year 1 which would lower his total cap number or be just about the same total cap number for 2020.

Godwin is set to make a little over $2.3 mil total and his new contract can be structured like Lavonte’s with a low base salary but front loading the guarantees year 1. But that would still increase Godwin’s total cap number by $6 mil or more.

That would leave the Bucs with $14 mil in cap space for the rookie pool, emergency money, and to re-sign players like Minter, and Roches.

Bucs will have to use the draft to fill holes at WR, CB, LB, OT, OG, C, and RB IMVHO.

Build the trenches!

• Mic

Participant

It might be best to let Nassib net is a comp pick for next draft if in your mind Nassib is worth a 4th that’s a good trade off for the future. We’d have Nelson fill his role and hopefully a guy can step up with all this talk of good coaching

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed with Mic. Nassib brings pressure, but he should given how much attention was given to Vea, and Barrett.

• Havok904

Participant

J.A.S.H.E.R.
      3-4 defenses still put versatile dlinemen (guys like JPP, Nassib) on the interior part of the line on passing downs. Including Bowles
      ____
      They hardly ever, if any, lined Nassib or JPP at DT.

• buccnation

Participant

They sometimes lined up at DE though.

• SaskBucs

Participant

Yeah I think most fans agree with this. Hopefully an Oline hungry team ahead of us in the draft takes a chance on Jason Peters and drafts a WR (cough Jets). Then find a replacement for 2021 for Suh/JPP or Jensen in round 2.

• Biggs3535

Participant

J.A.S.H.E.R.
      3-4 defenses still put versatile dlinemen (guys like JPP, Nassib) on the interior part of the line on passing downs. Including Bowles
      ____
      They hardly ever, if any, lined Nassib or JPP at DT.

Of course there were packages where Nassib or JPP lined up inside. Nassib had 39 snaps at DT and JPP had 17.

• Havok904

Participant

Of course there were packages where Nassib or JPP lined up inside. Nassib had 39 snaps at DT and JPP had 17
      ____
      Like I stated before they rarely if any played DT.

Per Pro Football Reference

Nassib total defensive snaps at LB/DE=630

Using your data:

39/630 = 6% playing DT

JPP total defensive snaps at LB/DE =586

Using your data:

17/586 = 3% playing DT

• Biggs3535

Participant

Of course there were packages where Nassib or JPP lined up inside. Nassib had 39 snaps at DT and JPP had 17
      ____
      Like I stated before they rarely if any played DT.

Per Pro Football Reference

Nassib total defensive snaps at LB/DE=630

Using your data:

39/630 = 6% playing DT

JPP total defensive snaps at LB/DE =586

Using your data:

17/586 = 3% playing DT

For Defensive Ends, playing inside 6% and 3% wouldn’t be classified as “hardly ever” and definitely not “if any”. They play inside, more than most Defensive Ends/Outside Pass Rushers. Shaq Barrett played inside “hardly ever, if any” with 0 snaps – compared to 39 for Nassib and 17 for JPP. Barrett would fit your point, while JASHER is correct about Nassib and JPP.

They both played Cornerback “hardly ever, if any” with Nassib having 3 slot CB snaps and JPP having 2, if that makes you feel better.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Bucs need to bring back all 3, make it happen.

Suh is underappreciated because he doesn’t get sacks, but that’s not what he’s asked to do. He absorbs blockers, unlike McCoy ever did, and allows for those around him to feast on the QB. Shaq isn’t sniffing 19 sacks without Suh. He did the same for Aaron Donald and look how Donald’s numbers dropped when Suh left.

JPP still has a lot left in the tank and is on a mission. He put up good numbers last year and only played half the season in a new defense.

If we bring back all 3 this year, this defense is going to look nasty!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was glad to see Pierre Paul get absolutely fired up before games and during them, he showed great veteran leadership after coming off a very serious injury that would have derailed a lot of seasons if not careers. They should look to bring him back, as well as Suh, who provides great strength and scheme functionality for this team. Take him away and this team won’t be the best at stopping the run. They may be towards the bottom of a top 10 run defense but not the best. The secondary benefitted from the pass rush pressure at the end of the year, I think it is very important to keep Kong around for another run. He does want to stay as well.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Suh is underappreciated because he doesn’t get sacks, but that’s not what he’s asked to do. He absorbs blockers, unlike McCoy ever did, and allows for those around him to feast on the QB. Shaq isn’t sniffing 19 sacks without Suh. He did the same for Aaron Donald and look how Donald’s numbers dropped when Suh left.

lolz

• Greattimes

Participant

I remember last week that Arians said that negotiations were going well with Barrett, Suh and JPP. The Bucs have until Mar 18th to reach agreements with pending free agents. The Bucs may also tag Barrett before Mar 12th. Is there money enough to sign these free agents and a QB? Yes there is with some creative contracts. All that needs to be done is sign players to 4 year contracts that are really 2 year contracts with a signing bonus spread out over the 4 years. (That is how teams end up with dead money in future years.)

• Vance

Participant

Yup. Suh is strong as hell, and angry, makes that defense have a mental mindset different than other DTs could bring.

Shaq/JPP are pure pass rushers, with the ability to press at the point of attack.

I agree, gotta sign these guys back.

I prefer JJP even though he is a off the field risk. He is a baller on the field.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

lolz

Aaron Donald sacks:
      2017 – 11.0
      2018 – 20.5
      2019 – 12.5
      He played next to Suh for 1 season: 2018

Shaq Barrett sacks:
      2019 – 19.5
      The 1 season he played next to Suh.

Lolz at you. Come correct son.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Suh is a baller for sure. Shaq and JPP the same.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Aaron Donald sacks:
      2017 – 11.0
      2018 – 20.5
      2019 – 12.5
      He played next to Suh for 1 season: 2018

Shaq Barrett sacks:
      2019 – 19.5
      The 1 season he played next to Suh.

Lolz at you. Come correct son.

I marvel at the lengths you people will go with attribute other players’ performances to another player. Of course, you’re only interested in grinding an axe. But to follow through on your logic, who were the All-Pro’s Suh made in Detroit and Miami? Ezekiel Ansah had career highs (14.5 and 12) in sacks after Suh left Detroit. I guess we can attribute those sacks to whatever DT replaced Suh, yes? Simpleton.

I can’t say I’m surprised since you have no idea what good interiors DL play looks like.

lolz

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Defense wins championships!

Build the trenches!

• Lawdy

Participant

Always.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Yup.

T. Bowles had the game plan, and that defense played their hearts out.

Build the trenches!

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.