Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 32 reply threads

• Author

• Buc45

Participant

First of all, I am not a Florida or Florida State fan. I could care less what school you come from, as long as you can play. I do have concerns about picking Derwin James that high…and I don’t (along with lots of people in the NFL) think he is nearly as good as Fitzpatrick. I am not an SEC guy either and so there is no bias here.

Yes, James is a freak athlete and worthy of a first round pic, but at 7 our pick needs to be a playmaker. James does not make a lot of plays on the ball. His last season was not a strong one either…and so his ridiculous athleticism and combine numbers are key to his projection in the NFL. He is also one of those high-cut athletes that once they get into the league, seem to get hurt quite often. He could be a very good player…but there is a much rarer and more talented player ahead of him.

The reason so many are projecting Fitzpatrick in the top 7 is that the guy is a rare talent. A safety that can move up in the box, blitz, play centerfield but also SHUTDOWN a receiver on the outside or in the slot. When have we seen a safety do that? He is physical and has incredible ball skills…something that James seems to lack. The guy has 9 career picks and four pick sixes in his college career. He just seems to be a step ahead of everyone in the field. Also, he does not have the injury history of James as well.

If Nelson, Chubb, Barkley and Fitzpatrick are all gone at 7, I guess I would be fine with the James pick. James might end up being better than all of them…but to me those other four are the only sure things. James is much more of projection that they are.

My biggest fear with James is that with his style and body type, he will be a guy receiving lots of penalties and end up on IR quite a bit… I hope I am wrong and that he has a great career…but I have more doubts about him than the others.

• ErnieBuc

Participant

James didn’t play on a defense close to what Fitz did at Bama. He can play centre field, stop the run in the box, play on the outside or in the slot, and rush the passer. He’s also a leader.

Blend all that with his athleticism, amd he’s potentially the best player in the draft. Derwin > Fitz all day.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

Let’s not get carried away with FSU colored glasses here Ernie. Derwin isn’t the best player in this draft by a long, long shot.

• cvillebucfan

Participant

If we didn’t have a promising Justin Evans I could be on board with Fitz but that would essentially give us 2 FS. I would take Ward over Fitz, which I pray doesn’t happen. I’m all in on the Davenport, James, Edmunds train. Really would like to know what scouts think about Edmonds becoming a DE/OLB hybrid Kahlil Mack type player.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

So we have established that @Buc45 does care quite a bit about what school you come from.

• BucsBay

Participant

Let’s face. Chubb, Nelson, and probably Barkley are going to be gone at 7. James is very likely our pick.

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

That win at the end of the season against the Saints, while meaningless has put the Bucs out of getting an elite player.

• nitey

Participant

The last time we picked a ‘can’t miss’ safety from Alabama, how’d that work out for us? Pass on Fitz. There are still good FA safeties available.

• buccnation

Participant

James over Mincah. Imo James is the better safety, has elite measurables, and fits the need of an in the box safety way more than Mincah.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

In terms of a culture changing pro, there may be no better pick in the draft. He brings nasty to our team that few posses.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• Mark Cook

Participant

The Bucs feel exactly the opposite about Fitzpatrick as your description.The see him as strictly a safety. A really good one, but just a safety.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

One is a FS the other is a SS. This team needs a SS way more than a FS. The only thing is I hate picking a SS with the 7th overall pick.

• BucsBay

Participant

This D would improve a lot more with Chubb and Terrell Edmunds, Justin Reid, Kyzir, Neal, or Marcus Allen, than it would with James and whoever else we can find at DE in the draft. Unfortunately Chubb is most likely not an option.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

It’s glaring that we need some kind of trench player on D, James is great but this team gets pushed around too much upfront to pick a SS that high. You can scheme and get by with average SS play but you cant hide getting physically manhandled at the LOS.

• Ja’crispy

Participant

“I guess I would be fine with the James pick. James might end up being better than all of them”

Then why are you questioning the pick at #7? Id take James over Fitz all day.

• Buc45

Participant

Where is it in my responses that I care what school you come from? Also, basing your judgement on the fact that Barron sucked coming out of Alabama is just shallow thinking. Landon Collins turned out pretty good. There are busts out of every school. James did not play all that great last year…does that mean anything?

• Brooks Dunn-Winston

Participant

Last year was a disaster in Tallahassee and it all came from the top. Jimbo was going through personal shit, and he through in the towel early on. Also, FSU had one of the worst DCs in the country, Charles Kelly, who had no idea how to use any of his players. FSU’s defense was confused and out of position all year long, yet Derwin still played well. He’s going to be a MUCH better player in the league than he was in college. James > Minka

• buccnation

Participant

I don’t see Minkah as a sure thing whatsoever. The only real time he will be a corner in the NFL is when he plays as a nickel corner imo. I don’t think he can play on the outside.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Minkah is a sure thing FS. He is going to be an elite center fielder very quickly. Dude has it all for that position.

• Detrimental

Participant

Not really a fan of taking a DB but if the Chubb, Nelson, and Barkley are gone we need to go BPA. I have James as BPA after them four and he’s the type of player that will be a better pro than college player. A do it all safety that brings us some tenacity and flexibility. He has Sean taylor type potential imo.

I’d trade down if the top 3 were gone but if we end up being stuck at 7. James is not a bad fall back option.

• buccnation

Participant

No prospect is a sure thing.

• Anonymous

Inactive

James didn’t play well last year?

2017 minkah Fitzpatrick stats (13 games):
      60 total tackles
      8 TFL
      1.5 sack
      1 INT
      8 PD
      1 FF

2017 James stats (12 games):
      84 total tackles
      5.5 TCL
      1 sack
      2 INT
      11 PD
      0 FF

James was the only bright spot on FSU’s sinking ship last year.

• zothhh0

Participant

I’m sure James will be a great pro but if our BPA is a Safety then I’d rather trade back.

• Pewter Pirate

Participant

Unless Chubb or Nelson are there they should draft Vea, this draft has to be all defense of line withe the exception of Nelson.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Starting to look like it James at 7…

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• BucBalla85

Participant

I like him but I would rather trade down and load up on D line and Oline prospects because we dont have very many. Id hate to swing and miss on another safety.

• BucsBay

Participant

Denver would be our only possible trading partner for Chubb I believe, and how much Denver likes James decides if they would be willing to consider a deal. The Browns would probably have to take Barkley 4th, because I don’t think Elway would ever consider taking a RB that high and if the Browns take Nelson and we take Chubb maybe Indy would take James. It wouldn’t be a cheap to trade up, but a trade that netted us Chubb @5 and Denver more draft capital and James @7 could be good for both teams. I’m sure they’d love to have Chubb opposite Von Miller, so we’ll see, but hopefully it’s an option we explore and they consider.

• Timbuc2

Participant

James is better than Fitz. I don’t know what everyone’s been watching.

If James played on a Defense like Bama’s he would be all world.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I could see James being BPA in this scenario:

1. CLE – QB
      2. NYG – Chubb
      3. NYJ – QB
      4. CLE – Barkley
      5. DEN – Vea
      6. IND – Nelson
      7. TB – James

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Buc45

Participant

ESPN Scout Inc’s Big Board: Fitzpatrick #6 James # 12

Mel Kiper’s Big Board: Fitzpatrick # 2 James # 18

Toddy McShay’s Big Board: Fitzpatrick # 5 James # 11

Mike Mayocks Top Safeties: Fitzpatrick # 1 James # 2

Pro Football Weekly Top Safeties: Fitzpatrick # 1 James # 2

For those of you outraged that I would consider Fitzpatrick a better prospect…I am hardly in the minority.

• buccnation

Participant

Fitz is a very good prospect but in my opinion James has a little bit of a higher ceiling. James also fits better with Evans.

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

Fitzpatrick is an inferior talent to James. It’s not a personal insult to you @Buc45, it’s just a fact.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

James is a great talent. And more importantly, he has great leadership. This team doesn’t have a leader on either side of the ball. James would be the alpha in the locker room from the get go.

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.