Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• Jahhmmon

Participant

I don’t think we have the luxury of picking any BPA. BPA on the lines I totally am for. Next year two of our o-line is gone and Suh, JPP, and maybe Gholston could be out. As much as I would love to upgrade the RB position, we need starting lineman that can replace our starters next year. Phillips is my guy on EDGE but I’m slowly warming up to Jayson Oweh and Kwitty Paye if they’re there at 32 just because they don’t have to start right away. If we can get a combination of Phillips/Paye/Oweh and Dickerson/Humphrey/Meinerz for the first two rounds, I’ll be super happy. Probably not happening but one can dream lol

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

The Ojulari kid from Georgia would be a huge find

• seekpar

Participant

Draft OL, DL or Edge at 32, simple decision. Main team needs in next year or two other than QB.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Draft OL, DL or Edge at 32, simple decision. Main team needs in next year or two other than QB.

+1

• Swash

Participant

Ok, so your logic is Jensen and Cappa’s contracts expire after next season, so we shouldn’t draft a HB. Hmmm.. you do realize Rojo and Fournette both are in contract years too.

Best player available is the way to go.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Maybe not BPA strictly in the trenches, but BPA at positions that need to be addressed next year is a good philosophy. The trenches are a few of those positions.

• buc_boi

Participant

I’m all for reloading the trenches, however I don’t agree with your reasoning. I think both lineman will be back next year

• Jahhmmon

Participant

Ok, so your logic is Jensen and Cappa’s contracts expire after next season, so we shouldn’t draft a HB. Hmmm.. you do realize Rojo and Fournette both are in contract years too.

You can find star RBs well after the first round. James Robinson was in contention for best rookie RB and he was an UDFA. How many olineman make a difference when drafted outside of the first two rounds? It’s way easier to hit on RB then it is on OL in later rounds. We just got a good oline and people wanna call it fixed with two starters potentially out the door next season

• Jahhmmon

Participant

I’m all for reloading the trenches, however I don’t agree with your reasoning. I think both lineman will be back next year

They might be willing to keep Jensen around, but if Cappa has a good season like this year he’s looking for the big money. We can’t give big money to Cappa when we wanna lock up Vea and White in later years. Vea could be the highest paid NT in the NFL and I completely expect white to be the highest paid LB if he keeps up the production

• Swash

Participant

Just like we couldn’t resign Barrett, Fournette, and tag Godwin a couple months ago? Let’s all admit we have no idea what the cap will look like next year with these new TV contracts and not under estimate the Bucs front office ability to work some magic with the numbers.

• Runole

Participant

The Ojulari kid from Georgia would be a huge find

agree!

• JC5100

Participant

RB is a week to week position. Not even year to year anymore. Fournette was a healthy scratch at the end of the year. RoJo gets hurt and now he’s the man. The right guard or center pick at 32 should play 10 years.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

RB is a week to week position. Not even year to year anymore. Fournette was a healthy scratch at the end of the year. RoJo gets hurt and now he’s the man. The right guard or center pick at 32 should play 10 years.

if KC showed us anything, depth on the offensive line could be a season ender.

Fournette, RoJo, heck even Keyshawn Vaughn should all be capable of carrying the load.

Stinnie filled in nicely for Cappa but what if Jensen, Smith, or Wirfs were to miss time? Certainly think OL should be prioritized over RB

• ratiffshabang

Participant

Edge is where we have the least depth. This feels like a fairly weak draft outside of QBs. So we will need to find a diamond in the rough for an edge rusher esp. There’s need to find a DT, and a solid NT as Vea hasn’t made it through a full season yet. I wouldn’t mind a motivated and healthy Marvin Wilson at the end of the 2nd or 3rd. However, Edge hopefully will be our priority. Then load up on OL, DL,and then a receiving back and backup QB

• buc-in-out

Participant

Looking at the first round, there are quite a few LONG fast corners who look like they’d fit our scheme really well.

Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain, Caleb Farley, and Greg Newsome… would all be steals at 32. One of them will be there at 32, I feel pretty confident about that.

Is there value at EDGE compared to CB? I don’t think so… we shouldn’t just take the next best EDGE rusher just because JPP is a FA next off-season.

I think Jaycee Horn is going to be the best of the bunch, guy’s a beast.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by buc-in-out.

• JC5100

Participant

Looking at the first round, there are quite a few LONG fast corners who look like they’d fit our scheme really well.

Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain, Caleb Farley, and Greg Newsome… would all be steals at 32. One of them will be there at 32, I feel pretty confident about that.

Is there value at EDGE compared to CB? I don’t think so… we shouldn’t just take the next best EDGE rusher just because JPP is a FA next off-season.

For the first time since the Kiffin era we’re loaded at DB

• JC5100

Participant

if KC showed us anything, depth on the offensive line could be a season ender.

Fournette, RoJo, heck even Keyshawn Vaughn should all be capable of carrying the load.

Stinnie filled in nicely for Cappa but what if Jensen, Smith, or Wirfs were to miss time? Certainly think OL should be prioritized over RB

GB also. I know they had atleast 2 starting OL out when we played them in playoffs. And like KC, they donked off a premium pick at RB.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

This is a well written post. That being said, two things:

1. Patrick Surtain is almost certain to go in the top half of the first round. Jaycee Horn may too.

2. Edge rusher is more valuable than corner. Much more. It’s a passing league now and corners can’t do what they used to in order to defend. The only real way to stop the pass is to put the QB on his ass.

• seekpar

Participant

Anyone who watched the Bucs playoff games knows extreme pressure on the opposing team’s QB is the key to winning. Recent years draft capital for the defensive backfield is exhausted. If the pick at 32 is for the defense, it has to be DT or Edge. If the Bucs can continue to bring the same pressure on the QB, the defensive backfield is good to go.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Exactly. If people watched the many breakdowns of the wins on defense in the playoffs, especially the Super Bowl, then all the commentators identified that if Mahomes had a little more time, then he could have burned the Bucs’ secondary. But because the pass rush got on top of Mahomes so quickly, Mahomes was incapable of finding the open receiver due to getting through only two leads or not enough time to pass for the big bomb to open up.

The Super Bowl was a boring win because the Bucs won the trenches on both sides.

KC only had one player on the DLine to worry about. Outside of one sack, there wasn’t any real pressure on Brady.

Far too many people think like Licht of shiny baubles than actually filling dire holes today and tomorrow.

• Swash

Participant

Solid point. BPA is relative to the overall value of the position.

• Boid Fink

Participant

If not a guy who works in the trenches, I would okay with a CB in round 1. I still don’t trust the corners. SMB had a decent run, but still flashes his lost in space technique far too often. The rest of the corners were aside from, Carlton meh.

• Swash

Participant

I wouldn’t shed a tear if we went corner at #32. There’s not one position I would rule out except WR, TE, K, and P.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

Please try to remember what this team looked like over the course of the season, which some are doing, but also not focus on one game or specific instance of something to rationalize a draft strategy because it’s just too narrow. Think of the big picture next season and how to make the team better now. Any position discussion beyond that needs to start with QB.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

In a perfect world the Bucs draft a NT, ILB, edge, CB and S because the Bucs need depth in all levels of the defense.

Build the trenches!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.