Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 reply threads

• Author

• KarmaPolice

Participant

especially with the voter suppression going on now, you’re going to start hearing more and more about this:

“There are ‘definitely merits’ to reparations, says the first Black Fed president.”

“Raphael Bostic, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, is one of the most prominent government officials yet to publicly express support for reparations as a way to address the consequences of racism and inequality in America.”

HE GOES ON TO SAY THIS CRITICAL PART:

“”The legacies of past racism are still present in our society,” said Bostic, who in 2017 became the first Black president of a regional Fed bank. “We have to think about what things are necessary to offset the impacts of those old systems that still flow through.”

AND THIS, WHICH IS ACTUALLY THE CONNECTION TO HISTORY:

“”We have African Americans today who have a lot less wealth,” he said, “in part because they have not been able to inherit the wealth that would have accrued had their ancestors been able to accrue that wealth.””

this part

” have not been able to inherit the wealth that would have accrued had their ancestors been able to accrue that wealth”

IS A REFERENCE TO ANDREW JOHNSON, A SOUTHERNER BECAME PRESIDENT WHEN LINCOLN WAS ASSISINATED, STOPPPING THE PAYMENT OF “40 ACRES AND A MULE’ TO FREED SLAVES. “40 ACRES AND MULE” WOULD BE TRILLIONS IN WEALTH TODAY

In fact, there is an economic report out that says the average African American has a 70,000 wealth gap with the average white American. 42 million African Americans?

crazy risk of unintended consequences

• jbear

Participant

” have not been able to inherit the wealth that would have accrued had their ancestors been able to accrue that wealth”

Total bullshit. I’ve never inherited one red cent. Not one penny and I probably never will and even if I do I’ll be 80 plus years old and won’t need it.

And what he does here by taking it back all those generations is set up the possible reparations at some astronomical figure that would bankrupt the country anyway. Compound interest anyone?

I know there are some rich families but I’ve never seen that as the norm. That’s the exception. I can count on one hand the trust fund babies I know and I’m in a business where I ought to know quite a few.

You just cannot legislate equality in everything. I mean, what about all those poor white people in trailer parks? There are whole generations of white people who know nothing but institutional poverty and don’t see any way out. Drug use, shitty parents. It’s not a black brown or white thing it’s a societal problem.

Looking back is not going to solve this it’s only going to make it worse. How bout lets look ahead for once.

• KarmaPolice

Participant

Total bullshit. I’ve never inherited one red cent. Not one penny and I probably never will and even if I do I’ll be 80 plus years old and won’t need it.

When were you a slave?

Kidding aside, let me help you out with a little history lesson.

https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/shermans-field-order-no-15

The North (Union) won the war. Start with that. As Sherman marched through the south and crushed Rebel forces, he also took in thousands of REFUGEES (freed slaves). As the soon to be victor in the war STARTED BY THE SOUTH OVER SLAVERY, the UNION has to deal with what to do with all the refugees. THE DECISION WAS TO LET THEM SETTLE THE LAND of the people who enclaved them and starts the war anyway. There was an Order to do so, signed by LINCOLN. There was even a department formed to administer it. The land was along the coast from SC, GA and FL (goodbye Jacksonville!), so you can imagine how valuable.

Lincoln was assassinated. Johnson, a TN slave owner, takes over as President. Johnson REVOKED the order.

• KarmaPolice

Participant

And what he does here by taking it back all those generations

he’s not taking it back generations, it happened generations ago. Meaning a law was passed and the REVOKED by a Southerner

In case you haven’t figured this out, much of Trumpism is the result of what happened after the Civil War, meaning our failure as a country to actually address the racism

Johnson takes over and unravels everything, meaning Wilkes Booth actually accomplished something. This is why we have stupid southern monument discussions now, why we have the Voting Rights Act etc.

• KarmaPolice

Participant

Can edit these posts so to add to that

The Union won on the battle field but many Southerners refused to acknowledge defeat, so there was massive violence against freed slaves, the Klan etc.

In other words, because Johnson revoked the reparations, African Americans were freed but exposed. No place to live safely. In fact, the 14th amendment was an eventual response to much of this

This is why the original person I quoted says CORRECTLY that African Americans are still enduring:

“The legacies of past racism are still present in our society,” said Bostic, who in 2017 became the first Black president of a regional Fed bank. “We have to think about what things are necessary to offset the impacts of those old systems that still flow through.

HE IS 100% RIGHT

THAT DOESNT MEAN REPARATIONS ARE THE ANSWER, BUT HISTORICALLY SPEAKING HE IS 100% RIGHT

• KarmaPolice

Participant

another one, the Fairness Doctrine?

Trumpism may put the nail in the coffin for so many things

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.