Viewing 42 reply threads

• Author

• TampaBucks05

Participant

Sander Philipse ?@Bucs_Nation  42m42 minutes agoBuccaneers have discussed paying Mike Glennon $6 million per year

http://www.bucsnation.com/2016/3/21/11280056/buccaneers-have-discussed-paying-mike-glennon-6-million-per-year?utm_campaign=bucsnation&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could help in a trade?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is one of the best back ups in the league so I wouldn’t be opposed to extending him but I think this is to put pressure on other teams. It’s all a game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is one of the best back ups in the league so I wouldn't be opposed to extending him but I think this is to put pressure on other teams. It's all a game.

Agreed. Helps to dispel the narrative that we're going to lose him next year anyways and maintain value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably an afterthought… given the high value they’ve put on keeping Glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would he even consider that? Dude wants his shot and he is not getting it here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why would he even consider that? Dude wants his shot and he is not getting it here.

He wants to be a starter and can get much more than 6 mil doing so. We have all seen what is out there as far as available QBs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he is determined to see where he can go to get his shot at starting, it is in his control.  Insofar as the money – maybe…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This would be retarded. Jmo.Seriously, the guy is average at best.Then, you factor in that he's not going to "salvage a season" if winston goes down. IF winston is season-done, tampa is done. No, glennon cannot save us.Noooooooooo! ::)Then, you take whatever you can for him, while trying your damnedest to pull up the price (hope this is that). Because, the alternative is to give him up for nothing, other than capspace, and have to replace him anyway.And, IF the guy IS a baller like some want to believe, he'll want to go somewhere else to start anyway.This is one of two things.Bluffing, or, they don't completely trust winston.Which is it? (And guess the obvious one, plz)IF they truly want him to stay, they need to stop drinking the florida water.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they could sign him for $6 million per year that would be brilliant. It would be much easier to trade him. I am pretty sure the talke consisted of Licht saying we will give Mike $6 million per year and Mike’s agent laughing out loud. End of discussion.If Glennon is waiting to get his shot at starting he is not going to sign that deal. He could get nearly twice that if he hit free agency. If he hits free agency he could get 4 years $40 million with $20 million guaranteed or somewhere around there. That's my best guess.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe he's happy being Robin....not everyone has it to be Batman!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure, it happens. But that is not the case in this situation.

Please wait…

• jggators

Participant

i dont like thisstarting to smell like rg3/kirk cousinstrade glennon and draft a qb in the 6th or 7th round

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smells like the Bucs driving up Glennon’s value. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The crafty Licht “leaks” continue.  Wonder how much he’ll up getting.  Come on 1st round draft pick !

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they could sign him for $6 million per year that would be brilliant. It would be much easier to trade him. I am pretty sure the talke consisted of Licht saying we will give Mike $6 million per year and Mike's agent laughing out loud. End of discussion.If Glennon is waiting to get his shot at starting he is not going to sign that deal. He could get nearly twice that if he hit free agency. If he hits free agency he could get 4 years $40 million with $20 million guaranteed or somewhere around there. That's my best guess.

GA,If he is worth that on the FA market, why isn't he worth a first round draft choice?  I keep hearing many say that they would take a 2nd round draft choice or a 3rd round draft choice for him....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No GM could possibly take this leak seriously. Brock Osweiler is one year younger with less than half the starts and far inferior stats, and he got $18 million. If Glennon hit free agency he could probably command a similar number and a QB desperate team out there would pony up. This “negotiation” is very likely an attempt to drive up the asking price prior to the draft but I don’t know who falls for it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But in this league someone is willing to pay him to be Batman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The crafty Licht "leaks" continue.  Wonder how much he'll up getting.  Come on 1st round draft pick !

Not sure how this is "crafty"?Talk has the value at about 3x that $6M per...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The crafty Licht "leaks" continue.  Wonder how much he'll up getting.  Come on 1st round draft pick !

Not sure how this is "crafty"?Talk has the value at about 3x that $6M per...

It could happen. Osweiler is living proof

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He wants to be a starter and can get much more than 6 mil doing so. We have all seen what is out there as far as available QBs.

Just curious, have you spoken with Glennon?  How do you know what he wants?  The truth is, you don't.  Maybe he is willing to stay with the Bucs at 6m a year until a better situation opens up.  If I were him, I would stay in Tampa at 6m as a backup instead of going to Cleveland.  Remaining a backup in Tampa offers a LOT more long term job security then a starting gig in many other cities.  Maybe he thinks one more year under Koetter will boost his paycheck and number of suitors. The point is, nobody knows what Glennon wants, we can only guess. This whole thing probably is a ploy by the Bucs to drive up his price.  But maybe they also really want to keep Glennon for at least one more year and if they do, the only way that is happening is by signing him to a contract extension this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just curious, have you spoken with Glennon?  How do you know what he wants?  The truth is, you don't.  Maybe he is willing to stay with the Bucs at 6m a year until a better situation opens up.  If I were him, I would stay in Tampa at 6m as a backup instead of going to Cleveland.  Remaining a backup in Tampa offers a LOT more long term job security then a starting gig in many other cities.  Maybe he thinks one more year under Koetter will boost his paycheck and number of suitors. The point is, nobody knows what Glennon wants, we can only guess. This whole thing probably is a ploy by the Bucs to drive up his price.  But maybe they also really want to keep Glennon for at least one more year and if they do, the only way that is happening is by signing him to a contract extension this year.

You don't drive his price up with a $6M offer...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure you do, by removing the "either trade him or lose him" scenario.  Right now, if he is not traded or extended, it is the common belief he will just leave and the Bucs get nothing.  Even if he only gets a two year extension at 6m each, the Bucs eliminate the "get nothing" scenario; at least for two more years.  So anyone wanting him this year can't hold that as leverage over the Bucs.  It's common sense really.  Negotiations are a battle of leverage and he who has most, wins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure you do, by removing the "either trade him or lose him" scenario.  Right now, if he is not traded or extended, it is the common belief he will just leave and the Bucs get nothing.  Even if he only gets a two year extension at 6m each, the Bucs eliminate the "get nothing" scenario; at least for two more years.  So anyone wanting him this year can't hold that as leverage over the Bucs.  It's common sense really.  Negotiations are a battle of leverage and he who has most, wins.

Tell me how sure you are that the Bucs eliminated that "get nothing" scenario.

Please wait…

• williebrowntown

I've always said being a back up QB would be the best job in the NFL. you get paid very well to practice a few days a week, never take any wear and tear on your body and you hang out on the sidelines during games... sounds like a good deal to meAnyways I think it's a good deal either way, you get him signed at 6 mil a year and it makes it much easier to trade him or if you still don't get what you want, you have a serviceable backup for 3 or 4 more years

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

??? Please explain the question.  Because either you read my post wrong or you think signing a player to a two year extension is still getting nothing?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

??? Please explain the question.  Because either you read my post wrong or you think signing a player to a two year extension is still getting nothing?

No agent worth having lets Glennon sign for $6M right now.  If this was a "crafty leak", Licht just undermined his trade value... imo

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No agent worth having lets Glennon sign for $6M right now.  If this was a "crafty leak", Licht just undermined his trade value... imo

That still doesn't explain your original question.  The scenario I posted above would eliminate the "get nothing" scenario for the Bucs.  Now if Glennon agree's to it or not, that is an entirely different story. But from the Bucs perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That still doesn't explain your original question.  The scenario I posted above would eliminate the "get nothing" scenario for the Bucs.  Now if Glennon agree's to it or not, that is an entirely different story. But from the Bucs perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

No, freddy... it's the same ol' story.  :-

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the same old story?  You are jumping all over the place with emotional posts but not making any sense.It is a good move for the Bucs to extend Glennon.  It helps them and will improve his trade value.  Now the team trading for him wouldn't be forced into a Brock Osweiler deal on day one.From Glennon's perspective.  A one year extension might also make sense.  Without it he makes $1.5 million this year.  With it he can make $14 million over the next two years and still be in position to sign a big money contract with another team or via trade.Not saying it's the only possibility, but it is possible.  And most important, from the Buc's perspective, it makes total sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What is the same old story?  You are jumping all over the place with emotional posts but not making any sense.It is a good move for the Bucs to extend Glennon.  It helps them and will improve his trade value.  Now the team trading for him wouldn't be force into a Brock Osweiler deal on day one.From Glennon's perspective.  A one year extension can also make sense.  Without it he makes $1.5 million this year.  With it he can make $14 million over the next two years and still be in position to sign a big money contract with another team or via trade.Not saying it is the only possibility, but it is possible.  And most important, from the Buc's perspective, it makes total sense.

It takes more than the Bucs, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

TRU! Not everyone can wear the Batman underoos!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously, the guy is average at best.

What do you base this on? No need to answer I already know what you base it on. his rookie season where he played half the season with a terrible OC, no offensive weapons, one of the worst Olines in both pass protection and run blocking, and no run game in which he had 19TDs 9ints. and his 2nd year in the league where he had literally no OC, the worst run blocking in the league, terrible pass protection, no run game, and only played 5 games. Thats where you draw the conclusion already that Mike Glennon at best is average. See Benchwarmer.. this is the type of rationalizing that also leads you to believe guys like Jonny Manziel are cant miss prospects.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've always said being a back up QB would be the best job in the NFL. you get paid very well to practice a few days a week, never take any wear and tear on your body and you hang out on the sidelines during games... sounds like a good deal to meAnyways I think it's a good deal either way, you get him signed at 6 mil a year and it makes it much easier to trade him or if you still don't get what you want, you have a serviceable backup for 3 or 4 more years

it would be a fantastic deal. If he did get a shot next year and it didnt work out then that could cut his career short or at least ruin the maximum finacial potential he has. if hes a 6 million dollar backup for 4 years then that extends the amount of time hes able to eventually look for his shot again. This league has proven that they dont really care how young the QBs are, teams get desperate enough to take an old good backup QB if hes balling out a few games at age 28-30. Look at Fitzpatrick, hes in his 30s and Glennons ceiling is higher than his. Look at McCown he flirted with becoming the man for 3 different teams in his mid to late 30s. This would definitely be a great gig for Glennon and the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smells like the Bucs driving up Glennon's value.

good for PR traffic.  More posturing = more dicussion

Please wait…

• williebrowntown

it would be a fantastic deal. If he did get a shot next year and it didnt work out then that could cut his career short or at least ruin the maximum finacial potential he has. if hes a 6 million dollar backup for 4 years then that extends the amount of time hes able to eventually look for his shot again. This league has proven that they dont really care how young the QBs are, teams get desperate enough to take an old good backup QB if hes balling out a few games at age 28-30. Look at Fitzpatrick, hes in his 30s and Glennons ceiling is higher than his. Look at McCown he flirted with becoming the man for 3 different teams in his mid to late 30s. This would definitely be a great gig for Glennon and the Bucs.

All great points, I'll add Hasselback as well (I know he retired) but dude was 40 and still stepped up. I mean if we can get a 1st or early to mid 2nd for Glennon I'd pull the trigger but nothing less. Right now he's not costing the team anything and he's obviously about the best backup/fringe starter in the league

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mean if we can get a 1st or early to mid 2nd for Glennon I'd pull the trigger but nothing less.

If someone offered me a Ferrari I'd take it, but not a Porsche . .. I like my ChevyThe GM just back-pedaled on his public posturing by saying that reports it would take a first a wrong, so it seems safe to say a 1st is off the table, right? I would think a 2nd was never a real option either, but we will see, I guess. I hope we do get a second.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously, the guy is average at best.

What do you base this on? No need to answer I already know what you base it on. his rookie season where he played half the season with a terrible OC, no offensive weapons, one of the worst Olines in both pass protection and run blocking, and no run game in which he had 19TDs 9ints. and his 2nd year in the league where he had literally no OC, the worst run blocking in the league, terrible pass protection, no run game, and only played 5 games. Thats where you draw the conclusion already that Mike Glennon at best is average. See Benchwarmer.. this is the type of rationalizing that also leads you to believe guys like Jonny Manziel are cant miss prospects.

Wrong.I base that on the fact that he would rather throw the ball away on third down, than to make a completion.You can be a glennonite all you want, thats fine. But, it isnt going to make him a grade A elite passer like you want either.He's a B minus, at best.And, even IF he were, you still take a second or third for him and call it a day. Because you dang sure can't use him with winston around, and glennon's not going to win games IF winston's out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure, it happens. But that is not the case in this situation.

Oh, I agree. With what Osweiler just got, I'd want the hell outta here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont like thisstarting to smell like rg3/kirk cousins

What's to dislike and in what way does this resemble RG3/Cousins?

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

Seems logical.  I don’t think Glennon would take an offer like that, but you have to imagine there are definitely extension talks at this point.  I would like it if we could keep Glennon at fair market value for a backup QB.  Just don’t think Glennon wants that.  Gotta start somewhere.  It gives you good grounds for trade if common ground cant be found.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont like thisstarting to smell like rg3/kirk cousins

Big difference. Here in Tampa, the backup isn't better than the starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve said it many times.  Glennon wants out of here yesterday.  With only one year left, though, he has some leverage.  He should NOT sign any new contract unless a trade with a team/situation of his liking is in place.

Please wait…

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.