Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 37 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs’ Darrelle Revis Named Sporting News’ Comeback Player of the Year By Jenna Laine    Bucs Insider January 29, 2014, 20:30 PM revis_zps81236b78.jpgOne month ago, he was elected to the Pro Bowl for the fifth time in his career. The accolades got even sweeter this week for Darrelle Revis, who was named Sporting News’ 2013 Comeback Player of the Year for his recovery from a torn ACL. He becomes the first Buccaneer to win the award, presented annually to the player who best exemplifies perseverance in the face of adversity, since Antonio Bryant in 2008. Sporting News polled some 500 NFL players, coaches, and executives to determine the winner. Revis suffered the injury on Sept. 23, 2012 and was forced to miss the remainder of the season.  An offseason trade and a six-year, $96 million contract sent him from New York to Tampa Bay. With it, came tough circumstances. The team finished 4-12. Head coach Greg Schiano and general manager Mark Dominik were be fired. But Revis played on, starting all 16 games and finishing with 50 combined tackles, two interceptions, 11 pass breakups, and a sack. More importantly, he shut down opposing receivers. “That’s the thing you get when you have Revis…You take out that guy and the whole side of the field,” teammate Gerald McCoy said last month after the two were named to the Pro Bowl together. “Coming off a season-ending injury, it takes extreme mental toughness to be able to bounce back and be who you used to be.” In the case of Revis, while he admitted to not being 100-percent for most of the season last year, he certainly deserves praise for coming awfully close under those circumstances. http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/darrelle-revis-named-sporting-news-comeback-player-of-the-year/#wxopEuvbPpKdvODJ.99

• Anonymous

Inactive

Congrats Darrelle! Glad we got this tough year behind us now. I am hoping for an even better season from him next year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s going to be even better next season . I can’t wait.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's going to be even better next season . I can't wait.

Me too...if him, McCoy, and David can play at that high level with the mickey mouse coaches we had....cant wait to see what they do with real NFL defensive minded coaches.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And he was already this last year.@PFF: Yards given up per snap in coverage among CBs this season? 1. Darrelle Revis (.72) 2. Richard Sherman (.77).Oh man it's gonna be exciting

• bksmith71

Participant

ACL takes a full year to recover.  With offseason conditioning (vs. the rehab of last year) Revis will be a beast again. Can’t wait.  Comeback Player well deserved.

• Anonymous

Inactive

O trade  revis. He’s washed up he doesn’t deserve it he’s taking up our cap. Blah blah blah. Suck it haters lol. And dude ain’t even 100 % yet.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know he didn’t play in a game but I would have given it to Greg Childs for returning to practice after tearing both patellar tendons at the same time.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And on the other end of the spectrum, we also have nicks.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes. Nicks is the Failed Comeback of the Year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know he didn't play in a game but I would have given it to Greg Childs for returning to practice after tearing both patellar tendons at the same time.

Soooo...your comeback player of the year didn't play?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know he didn't play in a game but I would have given it to Greg Childs for returning to practice after tearing both patellar tendons at the same time.

Normally, that would be a head-scratch moment... normally.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Normally, that would be a head-scratch moment... normally.

I still am scratching my head...similarly to when there was talk about giving Manning the MVP the year he got hurt and the Colts won 2 games. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

This can’t be! Red Board said he sucked! He should be traded IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Clearly The Sporting News is wrong and the Red Board is right. Seriously, I am a bit surprised because his stats don't pop out at you. However, I don't think that is a bad thing. Dude is coming off a major injury and for the most part, locked down his side of the field. He will be even better next season. Very excited about our secondary moving forward.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And he was already this last year.@PFF: Yards given up per snap in coverage among CBs this season? 1. Darrelle Revis (.72) 2. Richard Sherman (.77).Oh man it's gonna be exciting

Can't wait.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good for him, rehab is hard work.Blount wouldn't be a bad choice either.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rehab is hard work…its why Mike Williams is not doing it….

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rehab is hard work...its why Mike Williams is not doing it....

Allegedly.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes. Childs returning to practice was the biggest comeback in the league this year. Instead of the award going to which player overcame the most adversity it has become "who is the best player that came back from anything".

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe they need a comeback practice player of the year?  ???Revis is great. He deserves this. That being said, I would trade him for a first round pick and dump his $16 million contract in a NY second. Nobody out there wants to pay their corner $16 million. They want to pay their QB that much. Corners top out at $10 million a year right now outside of Revis Island. I question the long term strategy. That's all I am saying. Great player but uses tons of cap space.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes. Childs returning to practice was the biggest comeback in the league this year. Instead of the award going to which player overcame the most adversity it has become "who is the best player that came back from anything".

I wouldnt call a torn ACL just "anything".  Its not like Revis came back from an infected toe nail.  Good for Childs, its a great story.  Im not sure Ive seen a player win the comeback player in any sport just because he returns to practice.  I feel like to win an award with the word "player" in it...they sort of need to...you know...play?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxn3RoqTOQ

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldnt call a torn ACL just "anything".  Its not like Revis came back from an infected toe nail.  Good for Childs, its a great story.  Im not sure Ive seen a player win the comeback player in any sport just because he returns to practice.  I feel like to win an award with the word "player" in it...they sort of need to...you know...play?

That's exactly what is wrong with the award, people emphasize the on field aspect, September-December, and not the actual comeback. Perfect example is Vick, who got the award after coming back from PRISON. The voters don't get it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s possible you just don’t get it. "The National Football League Comeback Player of the Year Award refers to a number of awards that are given to an NFL player who has shown perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance."

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's exactly what is wrong with the award, people emphasize the on field aspect, September-December, and not the actual comeback. Perfect example is Vick, who got the award after coming back from PRISON. The voters don't get it.

It seems odd that people emphasize the "playing" aspect of the comeback "player" of the year award?  Oh...there's someone who doesn't get it alright, but its not the voters unless someone gave you voting privileges.

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you guys think Vick deserved the award?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Deserved or not... he actually did make a comeback.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting position you put yourself in by asking that.  If I say yes, then you can argue that he barely played and my original argument against Childs contradicts what I say about Vick.  Or, if I say no he didnt, then that supports what you are saying about the voters not knowing what they are talking about.I don't remember who he was up against that year, but IMHO he didnt play enough to warrant that award unless there just happened to not be a clear cut option and he won by default. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting position you put yourself in by asking that.  If I say yes, then you can argue that he barely played and my original argument against Childs contradicts what I say about Vick.  Or, if I say no he didnt, then that supports what you are saying about the voters not knowing what they are talking about.I don't remember who he was up against that year, but IMHO he didnt play enough to warrant that award unless there just happened to not be a clear cut option and he won by default.

Not that complicated and I didn't care about the playing time (he won it after 2010, his 2nd year back, when he played the whole season). What I was getting at is that him coming back from prison, and especially for what he was doing, should not warrant consideration for the award, let alone win it.  Instead of emphasizing the circumstances of the comeback and the hard work and dedication behind it, mentally and physically, voters just go by "who is the best player coming back from something". And an ACL might as well be an infected toe nail compared to double patella ruptures.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Beast. Deserves the award, was a big factor out there in defense. Glad he is a Buc. With Lovie/Frasier I think he will be an eraser. AsIf he isn't one already. I think Banks is going to improve as well.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rivers had a great season. But comeback?  From what?  His own ineptitude?Eff that ugly as sin bolo tie.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not that complicated and I didn't care about the playing time (he won it after 2010, his 2nd year back, when he played the whole season). What I was getting at is that him coming back from prison, and especially for what he was doing, should not warrant consideration for the award, let alone win it.  Instead of emphasizing the circumstances of the comeback and the hard work and dedication behind it, mentally and physically, voters just go by "who is the best player coming back from something". And an ACL might as well be an infected toe nail compared to double patella ruptures.

I can support not giving it to a player coming back from a jail sentence because I think it sends the wrong message (unless it comes to light they were wrongfully accused).  The last part of what you said might be the dumbest thing said on PR ever...quite the accomplishment sir.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I got into your head and made you re-think how the award is determined and you’re still trying to question my intelligence.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I got into your head and made you re-think how the award is determined and you're still trying to question my intelligence.

No, you got me to agree w