Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Fennelly: Right move, Bucs. Now get a receivered9cdb64-c118-4077-8f1f-6476d8f8a81d_zpse3fee00f.pngThe Buccaneers traded troubled receiver Mike Williams to the Buffalo Bills for a sixth round pick in the draft. Published:  April 5, 2014 at 11:44 PMTAMPA — Bucs coach Lovie Smith and GM Jason Licht have done what was needed.Why it took this long is beyond me.Mike Williams was already heading over Niagara Falls in a barrel. The Bucs made it easier for him Friday when they traded him and his salary to Buffalo for a sixth-round draft pick.Here’s the catch:The Bucs need a receiver.In fact, they need a receiver in this NFL draft, first round.Don’t you hate when NFL teams need receivers in the first round who aren’t named Calvin Johnson?Don’t you hate when the Bucs need a receiver in the first round? Especially when Josh McCown is the quarterback, and when you could make a good case for picking a successor from among Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater?Don’t you hate when the Bucs need a receiver in the first round when, in franchise history, the two receivers they’ve picked in the first round were Reidel Anthony and Michael Clayton?There’s quarterback, there’s offensive line ... perfectly good choices. Yes, you can get a receiver later.You can get a quarterback later, too, or an offensive lineman. Deep draft.Look at the top receivers: Clemson’s Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M’s Mike Evans.I’d take either one of them.I’d trade up to get Watkins.I hate taking receivers in the first round.But there’s Watkins, a fly guy, catch and run, run, run.Wonder what that looks like.He might be gone, gone, gone when the Bucs pick.Evans should be there at No. 7.Grab him.I’d even take Evans over his Aggies teammate, Johnny Football, who I think will be more Flutie than Favre in the NFL.Bridgewater is another story. I’d have to think about taking him.But I still don’t think there’s an Andrew Luck in this draft.There’s a Mike Evans, though.I saw him on TV seven or eight times the last two seasons while watching Manziel. It was a show of shows. I’m convinced Evans sometimes made Manziel look good as much as Manziel made Evans look good.The guy is big, 6-5, 230, has arms 12 feet long. He goes and gets footballs.He doesn’t have Watkins’ breakaway speed, so you’re probably thinking he’s another Vincent Jackson.Jackson never met a defensive back who couldn’t run him down.But Evans outraced Alabama’s secondary. He broke tackles in games. He was a load. I saw him dominate.McCown needs targets, fast, and in Evans and Jackson, he’d have big guys, like when he briefly lit it up in Chicago last season with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. It’s just a matter of whether Bucs offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford can design plays to free them up, certainly not a given.What we knew for sure was that Mike Williams had to go.You know how we know it was the right move? Because former Bucs GM Mark Dominik nearly instantly took to the radio waves for his new mother ship, ESPN, to explain why he signed Williams to a $40 million deal in the middle of Williams making off-field messy pants.By the way, with the Williams trade, only Gerald McCoy remains from the Bucs’ 2010 draft class. There is no one left from the 2009 draft class.I hate taking receivers in the first round.There’s quarterback, there’s linebacker ...I hate taking receivers in the first round.I’ve mentioned that, right?Grab one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate the way he writes, but I agree with him. Why does he make a new paragraph almost everytime he starts a new sentence? It’s annoying. I digress, he’s still correct.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He nailed it.Williams had to go.Evans made his QB look like a superstar.If he is still on the board at 7, we HAVE to grab him.Evans will make Glennon look like Peyton Manning.If Evans and Sammy are not there, draft OT and go receiver in round 2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah.. looking like QB will have to wait.. sigh…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fennelly :captain_obvious.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is  this supposed to be to the tune of “Green Eggs and Ham”??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

God, I hate his writing style. I don’t disagree with him but dammit I want to. Yes we need a WR. We still shouldn’t feel pigeonholed into drafting one at 7. I’m down with Watkins or Evans but if they love Robinson or a qb then by all means wait til round 2 for a receiver.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is  this supposed to be to the tune of "Green Eggs and Ham"??

Lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad article, Fennelly. Now stop writing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After jettisoning MWill, Im 100% onboard with Evans at 7. I want him over watkins.Evans will be a superstar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For all we know, that’s how the other teams are viewing the draft and we never have shot at Evans. Its all speculation until it happens.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After jettisoning MWill, Im 100% onboard with Evans at 7. I want him over watkins.Evans will be a superstar.

yeah sure - IF Mack, Clowney, and Robinson are gone.  Even then I would prefer Aaron Donald over Evans.  Need to get that pass rush going this year!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate taking receivers in the first round.Its not like WR's have never been top picks before.  Andre Johnson went #3 IIRC. Keyshawn #1. Megatron #2.

Please wait…

• fredreg

Participant

whats with all the wide receiver stuff.  I don’t think bucs absoltuly need one they got Jackson, wright myers and owusu and enough depth.  I hope they go o-line caus their is no depth at all for left side guard and tackle

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad article, Fennelly. Now stop writing.

That Niagria Falls reference was gold, man!  Pure gold!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

whats with all the wide receiver stuff.  I don't think bucs absoltuly need one they got Jackson, wright myers and owusu and enough depth.  I hope they go o-line caus their is no depth at all for left side guard and tackle

I don't even know how to respond to this gem

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

whats with all the wide receiver stuff.  I don't think bucs absoltuly need one they got Jackson, wright myers and owusu and enough depth.  I hope they go o-line caus their is no depth at all for left side guard and tackle

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I gave it the skip over treatment.  lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

still a proponent of the “whatever keeps Josh McCown off the field” draft strategy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still hope they get their qb of the future.Wr will serve us quickly, but selecting qb now, while we can, would be a wiser move.I know it's crazy bad, but I'd probably sell off this entire draft if we could bring in both evans and manziel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still hope they get their qb of the future.Wr will serve us quickly, but selecting qb now, while we can, would be a wiser move.I know it's crazy bad, but I'd probably sell off this entire draft if we could bring in both evans and manziel.

It's not bad. It's retarded.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know it’s crazy bad, but I’d probably sell off this entire draft if we could bring in both evans and manziel.

??? no words for what I just read.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know it's crazy bad, but I'd probably sell off this entire draft if we could bring in both evans and manziel.

Bench just was channeling his inner Mike Ditka.  He will be back to normal soon enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know it's crazy bad, but I'd probably sell off this entire draft if we could bring in both evans and manziel.

Bench just was channeling his inner Mike Ditka.  He will be back to normal soon enough.

LMAO.....was just about to type that dude has gone full Ditka. Still can't believe he doesn't get more heat for that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JFF is spending Mon and Tues with the Raiders. So they definitely have interest. A 2 day visit is more than a smokescreen.  IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manzielosexuals mad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LMAO.....was just about to type that dude has gone full Ditka. Still can't believe he doesn't get more heat for that.

its all hindsight though.  if manziel and evans both turn out to be all pros?  heck yeah, id do that draft.  if manziel flames out and evans is just okay?  then sure, bad move.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans will make Glennon look like Peyton Manning.

How is a starter going to make a backup look like anything?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did you laugh as hard typing that as we all did reading it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. Instead of grabbing a WR if the right one was available we may trade up. Instead of trading down to get a TE/G if the QB/WR is gone, we now have to force something. But no one cares. Lovie says he has a plan and you all believe we’re better off without a very good #2 receiver. But he wasn’t speed in space, he was slow in a crowd so let’s draft Mike Evans who is a slighly faster and significantly younger Vjax. Oh, one more thing. Mike Williams ran a 4.53 40 yard dash. Guess what Mike Evans ran? A 4.53 40 yard dash.So let's recap. We got rid of MW's contract, that was a good move. We've also created a huge hole on offense which we'll try to fill by using our 7th overall pick to draft a guy who is unproven in the NFL, slightly taller and slightly heavier but the exact same speed with the exact same speed and exact same skill set of "going up to get a ball". But Mike was a trouble maker, sort of, not really. Actually he's never broken a law while in Tampa and if we're throwing guys off the team for partying, we'll need to discharge about half the roster before seasons start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. Instead of grabbing a WR if the right one was available we may trade up.

I don't believe that . I'm pretty sure the reason the Bucs were not afraid to move on Mike now , is because they know the guy they want to pick is going to be there anyways. That's Evans. If this is who they were targeting all along , then your theory that they pigeon-holed themselves is irrelevant. They're going WR regardless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. Instead of grabbing a WR if the right one was available we may trade up.

I don't believe that . I'm pretty sure the reason the Bucs were not afraid to move on Mike now , is because they know the guy they want to pick is going to be there anyways. That's Evans. If this is who they were targeting all along , then your theory that they pigeon-holed themselves is irrelevant. They're going WR regardless.

I'm starting to think the same thing. They knew Watkins wouldn't make it to #7, so they have been eyeing Evans. I still think they would've taken him even if MWill was still here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike is very replaceable, all it takes is a top 10 pick. Well I guess Lovie really thinks McCown is the guy…..Oh jesus lord all mightly help us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike is very replaceable, all it takes is a top 10 pick. Well I guess Lovie really thinks McCown is the guy.....Oh jesus lord all mightly help us.

Damn, Mike was worth a top 10 pick?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans doesn’t replace Mike , he upgrades him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This would be true if this team had Manning, Brady, or Brees.  You can give those QBs mediocre/average WRs and they will turn them into stars.  Unfortunately this team has McCown and he needs weapons to succeed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I understand the move, but the timing is absolutely horrible. RIGHT after all the good WR free agents are locked up with new teams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stop saying Mike can only be replaced by a first round pick, you’re making your self sound less intelligent every time you post it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We need to draft Jared Abbrederis out of Wisconsin.  Dudes a baller.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. .

no one can be this dumb, can they? Why do you keep posting idiotic drivel?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike is very replaceable, all it takes is a top 10 pick. Well I guess Lovie really thinks McCown is the guy.....Oh jesus lord all mightly help us.

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike is very replaceable, all it takes is a top 10 pick.

how pathetic is your life when you have to make trolling statements like this, over and over and over

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL, you are a joke man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the previous posters about you being a joke...... Its really a simple concept: Red Board Blogger < Superbowl Head Coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans looks like a nice player, but I think they could be looking for a little more speed at WR. If Sammy is gone as expected. They could go with a different position at #7, and get that speed WR with the 2nd rounder.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whenever I see an article that’s in love with the enter key and just phobia-ed to paragraphs, I know it’s that Fennelly whacko

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. Instead of grabbing a WR if the right one was available we may trade up. Instead of trading down to get a TE/G if the QB/WR is gone, we now have to force something. But no one cares. Lovie says he has a plan and you all believe we're better off without a very good #2 receiver. But he wasn't speed in space, he was slow in a crowd so let's draft Mike Evans who is a slighly faster and significantly younger Vjax. Oh, one more thing. Mike Williams ran a 4.53 40 yard dash. Guess what Mike Evans ran? A 4.53 40 yard dash.So let's recap. We got rid of MW's contract, that was a good move. We've also created a huge hole on offense which we'll try to fill by using our 7th overall pick to draft a guy who is unproven in the NFL, slightly taller and slightly heavier but the exact same speed with the exact same speed and exact same skill set of "going up to get a ball". But Mike was a trouble maker, sort of, not really. Actually he's never broken a law while in Tampa and if we're throwing guys off the team for partying, we'll need to discharge about half the roster before seasons start.

He got stabbed and he had house parties and he broke minor traffic laws. Having his name in headlines for minor crimes that many Americans get in trouble for would somehow make his hands stop catching footballs. Or was it that one more speeding ticket would net him a suspension?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like it or not, we are now drafting for need rather than BPA. Instead of grabbing a WR if the right one was available we may trade up. Instead of trading down to get a TE/G if the QB/WR is gone, we now have to force something. But no one cares. Lovie says he has a plan and you all believe we're better off without a very good #2 receiver. But he wasn't speed in space, he was slow in a crowd so let's draft Mike Evans who is a slighly faster and significantly younger Vjax. Oh, one more thing. Mike Williams ran a 4.53 40 yard dash. Guess what Mike Evans ran? A 4.53 40 yard dash.

Evans is also  6'5 230  compared to CMG's 6'1 212 . If you run the same speed as someone who outweighs you by 20 pounds you are slow.Not to mention CMG is coming off a serious leg injury he only lackadaisically rehabbed .Safe to say Evans is faster than CMG.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After careful research Jared Abbrederis is the only WR in this class I really like.  He would become our Eric Decker.  abbrederis_cl-705x470.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t mind the Bucs signing Chas Gessner.

Please wait…

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.