Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 34 reply threads

• Author

• aquilus

Participant

Hugh Culverhouse

Ok before everyone jumps down my throat over this recommendation I believe that this person deserves to be recognized for many reasons.

-He brought Bucs football to Tampa

-He was instrumental inassembling a team that was one game away from the superbowl

-He may not have been the best owner in Bucs history but he led the league as a whole into the modern era

I think he should be recognized as controversial as the selection would be

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

Just no.
      They just pulled Gruden out of it due to his emails. No way in hell will they put a guy with the documented history of Culverhouse in the ring.

• Kermit56

Participant

What Slobernocker said.

• Trask Force

Participant

Wow that came out of the blue, and thanks for the laugh.

But come to think of it I’ll vote no for any owner or rich person who is made out to be a hero because of their ability to write checks. They make money on the backs of regular working people. They benefit from favorable tax laws avoid paying their fair share of taxes. They are out on the golf course while the regular folks are working hard making money for them. They are leaders in a corporate world that treats their employees about as well as a laptop computer. More and more as the workers go more remote the workplace becomes more impersonal. Workers will be fired at the drop of a hat on a Zoom or WebX with no going away party, no thank you. You may not have done anything wrong. They just want to downsize the department. They just cut your access and you’re done.

I don’t begrudge rich people for being rich. They’re not supposed to feel guilty. It’s free enterprise – the American way. Congrats to them. I’d be glad to switch places. Some of these rich people are good people. Some are not. Some made their own money, some had it handed to them. I do begrudge rich people who think they are a better class of people than the rest of us. Some rich people are like that, and certainly some are not. Whatever. But then they go a fundraiser party and cut a check or two to a charity and they get buildings named after them. All they did was cut a check.

Whether its the Glazers, Bill Gates, or anybody else. Congrats to them for being rich. They may be good people. But they aren’t heroes in my eyes. I don’t think they should be looked at as great human beings, have buildings named after them, nor should they be in a ring of honor for owning a football team. There are a lot of regular people who do a lot more to deserve to be called hero. They do things that involve putting their lives on the line and spending their lives helping other people rather than getting rich.

• JC5100

Participant

There’s enough guys so that you don’t have to reach that far. Rice is a glaring omission. Arians I’m fine with. Then you’re loaded with current players: Brady, Evans, David. Godwin, Vea and Wirfs are too young make that declaration but they’re heading that way. That’s 5 lock inductions with 3 more on the horizon.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

It’s watered down already with some players that could have waited

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Im hearing rumblings that considering how bad 2022 has been in just about everything economically that wokeism is being infact cancelled and that Gruden is being re-instated into the ring of honor

it’s ashame our net worths and retirements had to be set back 5-10 years for us to wake up but at least seeing Gruden back in the ring of honor is a step in the right direction

• TCB2W!

Participant

You want the skinflint owner in the honor ring? Wow.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

No!
      Too much white privilege.

And he didn’t pay his share!
      He was part of the patriarchy that pushed systemic racizm in the 1970’s that only benefitted white males.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Current ring of honor

1. Derrick Brooks
      2. Warren Sapp
      3. Paul Gruber
      4. Monte Kiffin
      5. John Lynch
      6. Ronde Barber
      7. Tony Dungy
      8. Malcon Glazer
      9. Lee Roy Selmon
      10. John McKay
      11. Jimmie Giles
      12. Mike Alstott
      13. Doug Williams
      14. Bruce Arians

who are next realistic options?

From the Superbowl team, i think you have to consider Brad Johnson, Simeon Rice and maybe Shelton Quarles

From the years 2003 to 2019, let’s call it the post Superbowl, pre – Brady years of players no longer active – who to consider from there – maybe Gerald McCoy? Maybe Ali Marpet? I dont see any other even considered

im not too keen on the Bucs pre 2000 so i cant really re-call who would be options there – maybe James Wilder or Warrick Dunn but i think we are grasping there

i think we will obviously have alot of players from the 2020 and current squad. Some already established and some assuming playing the remainder of their existing contracts with us.

Tom Brady – lock
      Mike Evans – lock
      Chris Godwin – assuming plays his new contract here will be #2 in all categories second to only Mike Evans
      Cam Brate – Lock – #3 all time in tds as a Buc, currently #12 all time in receptions and will surpass Jimmie Giles this year in receptions and maybe TDs (1 short)
      Rob Gronkowski – bubble for sure but if he plays this year and we win another Superbowl be hard for them not to be generous here.
      Tristian Wirfs – eventually if he is a long timer with us
      Vita Vea – eventually if he is a long timer with us
      Lav David – lock
      Shaq Barrett – assuming he finishes out his contract with production

• Trask Force

Participant

Brate- not a chance. Although he did save the Lombardi from a watery grave.

Gronk – No, unless he returns and helps the Bucs get deep into the playoffs once more. I doubt that will cause him to lose any sleep about the Ring.

I’ll give them a Pirate Plaque on the pirate ship and fire a salute.

Others getting a Pirate Plaque would be Gerald McCoy, Brad Culpepper, Keshawn Johnson, Martin Gramatica, Brad Johnson. Who else deserves a Pirate Plaque?

I wouldn’t even give a Pirate Plaque to Cullverhouse.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

There’s enough guys so that you don’t have to reach that far. Rice is a glaring omission. Arians I’m fine with. Then you’re loaded with current players: Brady, Evans, David. Godwin, Vea and Wirfs are too young make that declaration but they’re heading that way. That’s 5 lock inductions with 3 more on the horizon.

Agreed on all of these.

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

Culverhouse didn’t bring the NFL to Tampa the NFL did and Culverhouse only became the owner as part of the settlement of an unrelated lawsuit against the NFL and after the original owner backed out.

• kenntak

Participant

Trask Force, some of what you’re saying is true, but you are creating a double-standard. You don’t want owners in the ring of honor if they are not good people, you essentially damn them for getting rich (I know you say you don’t begrudge, them, but the rest of what you say seems to indicate that you do), and complain that they are not heroes. Certainly not all players are good people or heroes either, and many are very wealthy. Shouldn’t the same standard apply to everyone?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by kenntak.

• Trask Force

Participant

No of course football is entertainment and players and coaches are not heroes just because they are good entertainers. We fans treat them like heroes and that’s our own choice to do that. The ring of honor is just an extension of that. What are we honoring? Are we honoring heroes? Great people? Or people who helped our favorite team win games? I can’t find anything on the webs that is a clear statement about what it is supposed to represent.

Of course the Gruden soap opera called into question what the ring of honor really is. Just because Gruden disgraced himself doesn’t change what he did for the team that got him into the ring. But he was taken down in a hot minute. And Sapp has disgraced himself, but he was never removed. But those players and coaches actually did something to get into the Ring. What did Malcolm Glazer actually do other than make some phone calls and cut some checks? It was just one of his businesses. He was the boss and he made decisions to him make the most money. Why should he be honored for that? But it’s the Glazers’ ring. Malcolm created it, so his children can put him into it.

At the end of the day it’s just part of marketing a business, and the Gruden removal just exposed that. As fans, we choose to make more out of it. Nobody is forcing us to do that. Some Joe on the street non-Buc fan won’t care about any of those guys in the Ring, nor should they.

There used to be a Krewe of Honor which was demolished with the Old Sombrero. There are only two members of the Krewe of Honor who are not in the Ring of Honor. Ricky Bell and ….. drum roll…. Hugh Culverhouse.

• Kermit56

Participant

Brad Johnson and Simeon Rice. And, you would not be “grasping” with selecting James Wilder. I believe he still leads the team in rushing yards…

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Brad Johnson and Simeon Rice. And, you would not be “grasping” with selecting James Wilder. I believe he still leads the team in rushing yards…

yeah i know but as reference Jameis Winston and Josh Freeman were the top 2 QBs statistically in this franchise history so at a certain point are we rewarding mediocrity if we were to put them on the list?

Luckily Tom Brady should get most of the records this year – 3 years lol

So James Wilder had 5,957 yards. I was not a fan back then so it’s hard for me to sort of judge but statically he had 2 good years in which he had 2,800 yards yet he played with the team from 1981 to 1989 so looks like he got those yards more out of longevity.

the only franchise with a lesser rushing leader is the New England Patriots – Sam Sunningham with 5,453

Doug Martin is #4 on the list behind Alstott and Dunn with 4600 yards. He also had 2 good years where he had 2800 yards and played with us for 6 years versus Wilder 9 years.

So we wouldn’t put Dougie Fresh in consideration but i always hear about Wilder being an all time Buc great….

needless to say i agree with Brad Johnson and Simeon Rice but other than that, i think we need to consider alot of the current Bucs lol

• ktownbuc47

Participant

So James Wilder had 5,957 yards. I was not a fan back then so it’s hard for me to sort of judge but statically he had 2 good years in which he had 2,800 yards yet he played with the team from 1981 to 1989 so looks like he got those yards more out of longevity.

Wilder also had 430 pass receptions, 3493 receiving yds, 9 TD’s as a Buccaneer. He was a complete RB who could play all 3 downs. He had great hands out of the back field, he was money on short yardage and for those of us that had the honor of seeing him play he gave it his all on every play. He was a huge fan favorite and more than worthy to be in the Ring of Honor.

• TCB2W!

Participant

@BadabingBucs

Brady would need 15 wins to hold the franchise record for regular season wins. He already leads in completion percentage. 39 TDs from the record., but way behind in yards with 9789 to go. Brady is only 4872 behind second all time. In THREE years.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

@BadabingBucs

Brady would need 15 wins to hold the franchise record for regular season wins. He already leads in completion percentage. 39 TDs from the record., but way behind in yards with 9789 to go. Brady is only 4872 behind second all time. In THREE years.

ah ok so very unlikely they go 15-2 next year but i could def see him getting TDs

• Trask Force

Participant

You mean two years. He has yet to play the third. But even though the 3rd year is in the future, at least we know that barring a major injury he’ll be playing it.

We don’t know that about Gronk. I don’t think you can put Gronk in the Ring just based on two years of work. If Gronk and Brady both play three years, it will be a tough call to leave Gronk out when Brady is in. But if Brady goes three years and Gronk only goes two, then its an easy call in my opinion. Keyshawn Johnson played four years and won a Superbowl and he’s not in. You can’t put Gronk in just because he’s a nicer guy than Keyshawn.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

You mean two years. He has yet to play the third. But even though the 3rd year is in the future, at least we know that barring a major injury he’ll be playing it.

We don’t know that about Gronk. I don’t think you can put Gronk in the Ring just based on two years of work. If Gronk and Brady both play three years, it will be a tough call to leave Gronk out when Brady is in. But if Brady goes three years and Gronk only goes two, then its an easy call in my opinion. Keyshawn Johnson played four years and won a Superbowl and he’s not in. You can’t put Gronk in just because he’s a nicer guy than Keyshawn.

think it depends how this year plays out. If we manage to win 2 superbowls in 3 years; i think you catapult the HOF TE in there

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

1981 to 1989 so looks like he got those yards more out of longevity.

I am not sure about the dates but I seem to recall Wilder joined the team in the strike year and with Ricky Bell fading from the scene due to his health issues, so I doubt he played early on.

Then we lost Doug Williams to the USLF (another reason Culverhouse should never make the ROH). Then Lehman Bennett, I think. In fact, I think Wilder burst on the the scene during the Bennett years when the team was absolutely awful. And then there was another strike

Point is the team was pretty bad and in turmoil.

I tried to look up the dates and found a PR article where Lawrence Taylor called Wilder the best running back he faced so that’s not too shabby an endorsement. Didnt recall that and dont know the context.

• aquilus

Participant

What Bucs team….you mean the one that wouldn’t have existed without Hugh Culverhouse

You root for the Bucs because Hugh Culverhouse brought football to Tampa Bay

• TCB2W!

Participant

What Bucs team….you mean the one that wouldn’t have existed without Hugh Culverhouse

He didn’t bring football to Tampa. It was awarded to someone else who didn’t like the payment plan the league asked from him. Someone else would have been more than happy to buy an NFL. They gave it to Culverhouse over a previous lawsuit against the NFL.

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

he didn’t though

see the post above

He sued the NFL because he didn’t get the Rams. The settlement agreement include next opportunity.

the league then chose to expand to Seattle and Tampa and Culverhouse wasn’t even the original owner.

That reality is important because Culverhouse (a tax attorney and investor) ran the team like a profit machine. Profit before winning.

Culverhouse agreed to step in to Tampa rather than Seattle because he had a home in Jacksonville

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Thank you, Hugh Culverhouse, for single handedly bringing NFL football to Tampa!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

he didn’t though

see the post above

He sued the NFL because he didn’t get the Rams. The settlement agreement include next opportunity.

the league then chose to expand to Seattle and Tampa and Culverhouse wasn’t even the original owner.

That reality is important because Culverhouse (a tax attorney and investor) ran the team like a profit machine. Profit before winning.

Culverhouse agreed to step in to Tampa rather than Seattle because he had a home in Jacksonville

i hate to break it to you but each and every owner values profit over winning. What i mean by that is that they would not be losing money in order to win. Some like the Yankees and Dodgers may value winning more so because they spend more close to luxury tax but they also realize that winning brings profit. And of course, i’d suggest most owners want their teams to do well so they are inherently fans of the team but business and profit margins help guide decisions.

For example, the Glazers 100% saw $$$$ in their eyes when they signed Brady. It was amazing that Brady was still MVP caliber but even if he was mediocre it was worth the risk to have sold out crowds to see the living legend.

The fact that the Bucs are doing well, the owners are showing their support in order to restructure contracts and money upfront to remain competitive but again it’s also increasing their profitability more so than the years 2004 through 2019 where we weren’t going all in. We saw a glimpse of what life without Brady was looking like in February and we were almost going to be straight up rebuild territory. it was bleak.

now i wasnt a fan of the team back during Hugh days so i cant really say just how bad this dude was. I dont know much about him but if the Bucs were ass then i could see why he chose profit.

i think for the simple fact that we was an attorney…screw that guy…no ring of honor for him.

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

I mean that Culverhouse was not some die hard brand building football lover. he saw the $$$ advantage in the league structure

if i recall, his connection was the deal before the lawsuit deal. he worked on that deal, I think

If he would’ve had a house in Victoria he would’ve owned the Seahawks

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

ask Doug Williams if Culverhouse should have a spot :-)

• Kermit56

Participant

[postquote quote=1443585

You beat me to it.

• Trask Force

Participant

For example, the Glazers 100% saw $$$$ in their eyes when they signed Brady.

But who isn’t in it for the money? Lets just say John Lynch came out and said “I really was just playing for the money.” Would that disqualify him from being in the Ring of Honor? Answer: no. It’s what they did that counts.

And in the case of owners, what did they really do? They have accountants and advisors who do everything. They just own.
      There’s about two or three jobs in a football organization I could do without any further training. I could clean toilets, sell beer and be the owner.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

For example, the Glazers 100% saw $$$$ in their eyes when they signed Brady.

But who isn’t in it for the money? Lets just say John Lynch came out and said “I really was just playing for the money.” Would that disqualify him from being in the Ring of Honor? Answer: no. It’s what they did that counts.

And in the case of owners, what did they really do? They have accountants and advisors who do everything. They just own.
      There’s about two or three jobs in a football organization I could do without any further training. I could clean toilets, sell beer and be the owner.

i agree. that was what my post was about – money money money

i also am not clamoring to put Hugh on there as i dont know much about him

i became a Buc Fan in 2000

some may have called me a front runner but i stuck with them the last 20 years

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Dolla dolla bills yall

Money rules all, sadly.

• Swash

Participant

Fuck no.

• Blayton Cigsby

Participant

Culverhouse~

.” June 7, 1989 _ Saying the team is losing money and fans, Culverhouse defends a proposal to play three regular-season games at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando. “Is this a profitable venture?” Culverhouse asked of his ownership of the Bucs. “No. Yes, I am losing money. Fortunately, I can afford to lose it.” (Three years later, court documents in a lawsuit by several players against the NFL reveal that the Bucs were actually the second-most profitable team in the league in 1989, with a profit of nearly $7-million).”

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.