Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 55 reply threads

• Author

• Live4BUCS

Participant

If I were him I’d want to be a Buc…

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

UFC “chatter”… Tom Brady playing for Las Vegas Raiders??

• Greattimes

Participant

I don’t read too much into this, he may just be escaping the high taxes of California.

• Roy

Participant

This is huge.

The Jags and Falcons already have QB. Carolina and New Orleans are not really options. Carolina and Miami are rebuilding and Drew Brees hasn’t retired. If Rivers wants to play near home at all it has to be in Tampa Bay. We have written off the Rivers possibility because of the whole storyline about how he is so attached to where he is, and how he will either keep playing in California or retire. That whole storyline is blown out of the water. I and others have been emphasizing that if you don’t resign Winston, there are no good options. Well now there is a good option. So this is a game-changer. In the end maybe they still sign Winston, and maybe Rivers retires. But this definitely gives the Bucs something to think about and Bucs fans something to talk about.

• Roy

Participant

Chew on this, doubters….

Bruce Arians 2018 on Philip Rivers:

“Yeah, I mean he’s at the top of the list. He’s in the top five for sure. (I) loved him when he came out. I liked him when he came out of high school, and he’s just a winner. There are a lot of ways to play the position. He is a classic, drop-back quarterback and, I mean, those are the guys I love coaching.”

• Roy

Participant

Here’s what Luke Easterling of Draftwire had to say:

“If Bucs head coach Bruce Arians wants a replacement that will take the least time to acclimate to his offense, getting one of the league’s most experience and productive passers could be the best solution. Rivers is a future Hall of Famer who has an expiring contract, and the Chargers could be looking to start a new era. Rivers has had his own struggles with turnovers in recent years, thanks to a gunslinging style similar to Winston’s. Some Bucs fans might feel Rivers wouldn’t be much of an improvement in many ways, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see Arians bring him in if they do decide to move on from Winston.”

• Ramonb

Participant

How many years does he have left?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t read too much into this, he may just be escaping the high taxes of California.

That’s not how taxes work. You aren’t taxed on income based on where you live, it’s where you work. He intends to keep playing, he keeps saying that, so there is some reason to think it’s relevant to his decision on where to play next year to be near his ‘new home’. Aren’t too many teams in the southeast looking for a QB.

• Pennywise

Participant

Luke is a tool ,knows   no more about ba, than the milk  man

• Havok904

Participant

If Rivers signs with the Bucs, it’s guaranteed that the income from at least 8 games would not be taxed by the state.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Rivers signs with the Bucs, it’s guaranteed that the income from at least 8 games would not be taxed by the state.

Right because you get taxed based on where each game occurs. So Bucs players are sure getting half their salary without a state income tax. Sometimes more if they play road games in untaxed states.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

How many years does he have left?

Probably more than Winston… I’ll say 3 years.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

No thanks on Rivers.

Dude is an old turnover machine. He’s OldWhiteJameisOKBoomer with no upside.

• Roy

Participant

The guy has tens of millions of dollars, and he is going to move his whole crew to save a few bucks in state taxes? You are ignoring one very important thing: Income taxes are only paid if you have a job, and he wouldn’t be moving if he was going to be employed by the Chargers next year. Come on. You should probably leave the speculating to me.

Speculations (not in order of probability):

1) There is already a verbal agreement with the Bucs. They can’t announce it because they aren’t allowed to, but its done. I won’t put my house on this one, but its one very real possibility. If this was actually true then you will here some much louder rumblings that Winston is looking around as well. Again, I’m just saying this is one of the possible scenarios. You know that Arians said they would evaluate and make a decision and we wouldn’t find out until later. Well its been three weeks, and job #1 in the off-season was evaluating Winston.

2) Rivers just wants to go home and is probably going to retire.

3) Rivers just wants to be a free agent and doesn’t want teams to think he is geographically limited. He doesn’t want to stay in California, so why not move home.

4) This family man is moving his entire family across the country to save a million or two in state taxes on his next $20 million dollar contract. Yeah right.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

No thanks on Rivers.

Dude is an old turnover machine. He’s WhiteJameis.

He’ll give us a better chance to win while we search for our QB of the future… than Winston will.  Considering the cost may be similar, I’d put my lot in Rivers over Winston.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

No way Winston is back. Too many guys to extend. He’s too expensive & has a hand in losing.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

No way Winston is back. Too many guys to extend. He’s too expensive & has a hand in losing.

With Licht still here, I don’t discount anything.

• red816

Participant

Wow.Rivers moving to Florida is extremely significant.

Not good for Jameis…

• The Anomaly

Participant

Bridge while we draft our next QB.

See ya later Winston…YOU SUCK!

• Ja’crispy

Participant

This is interesting due to the fact he didn’t announce his retirement. We all know he is a family man and he just moved his entire family to Florida. To me it seems like he is going to be playing for a Florida team next year…

• cvillebucfan

Participant

Just reading the comments. You people are literally mentally challenged. LOL smh

• Graham

Participant

Is Rivers any better than Jameis at this point in his career? They’ll command similar salaries.

What’s the point other than moving on from Jameis? I guess that is the point for a lot of you.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Is Rivers any better than Jameis at this point in his career? They’ll command similar salaries.

What’s the point other than moving on from Jameis? I guess that is the point for a lot of you.

Rivers won’t be looking for a long-term deal like Winston will be.

• BucD

Participant

I’m definitely not opposed to moving on from Jameis, but to then sign Rivers would be such a Bucs move. My god.

I guess I could see signing Rivers as a bridge to drafting a rookie this year or next, but why couldn’t the same be done by simply franchising Jameis? Would signing Rivers be THAT much cheaper?

edit: …and to be clear…just because he moved to Florida doesn’t necessarily mean this is what is going to happen, but I can’t fault someone for making the obvious connection

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

IMO, it’s much ado about nothing.

@biggs3535
      check your inbox.

• Biggs3535

Participant

@DonkeyHunter

I couldn’t check my inbox because this website is a shit-show, but I found your message in my email notifications.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

• cvillebucfan

Participant

Have you people seen Rivers play? He CANNOT move. He CANNOT throw. He’s WASHED. You guys are literally stupid. Like point blank dumb AF.

Winston is 26 years old. The reigning NFL passing yards leader and 1 of 8 damn QB’s in league history to throw for 5k+.

Will you people stop brainwashing one another? He’s coming back, probably on a multi year deal. It’s tiresome, the sheer stupidity on this board.

• Detrimental

Participant

Rivers is done but he is better than Jameis for sure

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dear Lord, if you’re there. Please, please, please have Winston sign with the Carolina Panthers. I never ask you for much, but this would be so entertaining to see him come back to beat the Bucs twice a season.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess it didn’t take you long to figure that one out.

Lolz…

• Ava’Jeno

Participant

I don’t no that rivers is an upgrade … for a good 2-4 year span Rivers was supplanted firmly at the top of that 2nd tear of QBs that you could win with if you had the prerequisite parts around him… but that was years ago and there’s no where to go but down from there… best case scenario he’s a 3rd tier guy now and probably 4th…. I’m all for moving on from Winston but fact is if we can’t sign a free agent who’s clearly better we might as well keep him …. while I don’t believe in him as a player I do believe if you give anybody with his arm ability enough years of starting  , eventually he’ll luck into a good year just by shear chance… can you imagine if a couple more defenders drop ints, a couple more circus catches… if Winston continues to start rather he actually improves as a player or not he can produce a 40 plus TD season with maybe 13-16 turnovers…

• cvillebucfan

Participant

Rivers is done but he is better than Jameis for sure

———

youre DQ’d and self announced imbecile.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Guess it didn’t take you long to figure that one out.

The unhealthy obsession with two-time first-team All-Pro Quenton Nelson was a dead-giveaway.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

The unhealthy obsession with two-time first-team All-Pro Quenton Nelson was a dead-giveaway.

Yup.

Clearly “gets paid the big bucks to make big football decisions”.

• Roy

Participant

Rivers an upgrade?  I don’t think that’s really how to look at it.  He would be a stopgap option if the decision was made to move on from Winston.   But at least he’s a better stopgap than the other choices (other than Brady if he was actually a choice).   He would probably command a two year contract with the first year basically guaranteed and the second year with maybe some guarantee but nothing prohibitive to get out of it.  Signing Rivers would certainly make drafting a QB early on very likely.

Whatever is going on in behind the scenes is likely going on full steam right now and as Arians said stuff is going to be decided and we aren’t going to find out about it until later. They’ve had plenty of time to study the film and make their determination about what they want to do.   Deciding about the QB is Job #1 this offseason, and Arians is a guy who doesn’t hem and haw about stuff.  He doesn’t mess around, and  I’d guess that he has done his evaluating and told Licht and the Glazers what he wants to do.  Then its up to Licht to deal with the contract side.

Its entirely possible, even probable, that decisions have already been made.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Rivers would sign a 3 year/$75M deal with limited guarantees… Winston would not.  I would much rather see Rivers here on that deal than Winston on any other, even if it’s a 1 year prove-it deal (for the 3rd year in a row).  Rivers being here would allow us to be respectable and a playoff potential team while thoroughly trying to find and develop a QB over the next 3 years.  Certainly better than throwing 1 or more years away with Winston.

• Havok904

Participant

____
      You’re River’s agent now Clownshoes?

• Biggs3535

Participant

____

Sure, either that or I have a modicum of common sense – which you apparently lack.  The 38-year-old, 16-year veteran won’t be looking to cash-in on a long-term deal like the 26-year-old who is a free-agent for the first time.

This shouldn’t be controversial, but I’ve put your clueless ass on tilt and it’s showing.

• Havok904

Participant

Sure, either that or I have a modicum of common sense – which you apparently lack. The 38-year-old, 16-year veteran won’t be looking to cash-in on a long-term deal like the 26-year-old who is a free-agent for the first time.

This shouldn’t be controversial, but I’ve put your clueless ass on tilt and it’s showing.
      ____
      Dude you never had common sense.

That’s your problem.

Only a clown brain like yours could develop that wild ass fantasy and flesh it out.

Stick to Madden Mr. Clownshoes.

• Biggs3535

Participant

It’s hard to believe this nitwit is making the argument that Philip Rivers is looking for a long-term deal.  Maybe Rivers, Eli Manning, and Tom Brady are all looking for long term deals in Captain Clueless’ world.

You’re too stupid to insult.

• BradyTakeTheWheel

Participant

CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports there’s “a lot of buzz” about Tampa Bay being a possible landing spot for Philip Rivers.
      Rivers recently packed up his home in San Diego and moved cross country to Florida to be closer to his family (in Alabama). That doesn’t necessarily make the Bucs his first choice, but the declining 38-year-old impending free agent will undoubtedly have fewer options than past years following his fewest touchdowns thrown (23) since 2007. Rivers isn’t the worst one-year stopgap if Tampa Bay fails to iron out a deal with Jameis Winston. Tom Brady, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota and Teddy Bridgewater will also likely crop up at some point as potential fill-ins under center.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t make this stuff up. Bucs fans contemplating bringing in a past-his-prime turnover-machine Rivers to replace its face of the franchise QB turnover machine Winston because of a discount in salary/contract. Unbelievable.  Clown act franchise. Clowns for fans. Smh.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

You can’t make this stuff up. Bucs fans contemplating bringing in a past-his-prime turnover-machine Rivers to replace its face of the franchise QB turnover machine Winston because of a discount in salary/contract. Unbelievable. Clown act franchise. Clowns for fans. Smh.

A few differences of note…

#1: Rivers has had multiple seasons with an Int rate at 2.0 and below.

#2: Rivers is a more accurate passer.

#3: Rivers (and his agent), won’t be looking for a big contract, i.e. 5+ years at $30M+ AAV.

#4: Rivers won’t be expected to be a “franchise QB”, just a stop gap who would improve the Bucs’ chances to make the playoffs while the rest of the team is built for the future QB.

#5: Rivers doesn’t actually suck as a QB.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A few differences of note…

#1: Rivers has had multiple seasons with an Int rate at 2.0 and below.

#2: Rivers is a more accurate passer.

#3: Rivers (and his agent), won’t be looking for a big contract, i.e. 5+ years at $30M+ AAV.

#4: Rivers won’t be expected to be a “franchise QB”, just a stop gap who would improve the Bucs’ chances to make the playoffs while the rest of the team is built for the future QB.

#5: Rivers doesn’t actually suck as a QB.

—-

Sensible reply. I don’t think Rivers is any good anymore. And I don’t think Arians is going  for any stop gap plans – he’s too ripe on the vine and has a short amount of time in this gig.

• Roy

Participant

Arians age has nothing to do with it.   This will be the second year of his contract and he wants results.  Whether that’s with Winston or Rivers or somebody else.   Any coach young or old would rather have the quarterback position solidified for a good five years.  But wishing doesn’t make it happen, and wishing Winston is the guy, needing him to be the guy, doesn’t mean he is the guy.  You have it backwards.  You don’t say “Well we don’t want a stopgap guy, so lets just let it ride with Winston.”    The decision about Winston comes first.  Then if that decision is “no” you go with the stopgap guy.

• Roy

Participant

Pro Football Network’s NFL Insider Ben Allbright confirms that there has been an increasing amount of chatter coming from the 2020 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama regarding Rivers and the Buccaneers. If that is the case, it would signal the end of the 16-year relationship between Rivers and the Chargers. he early rounds….. Allbright is also reporting that the Buccaneers have been showing a good amount of interest in Washington Huskies quarterback Jacob Eason…..
      OK what does “chatter” mean?  That probably means a bunch of people speculating because they have absolutely no real information to go on.  Or does it?  Because there are Bucs representatives at the Senior Bowl.   Stay tuned.  I would expect PR is hearing this same chatter and will give us an idea of whether to take it seriously or not?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve seen Eason mocked to us many times recently and the Rivers thing is picking up noise on Twitter. Grabbing those two as a short-long term combo is IMO better than praying for progress with Winston.

• The Anomaly

Participant

I think Winston just threw another pick 6…dude is trash

• cvillebucfan

Participant

Pro Football Network’s NFL Insider Ben Allbright confirms that there has been an increasing amount of chatter coming from the 2020 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama regarding Rivers and the Buccaneers. If that is the case, it would signal the end of the 16-year relationship between Rivers and the Chargers. he early rounds….. Allbright is also reporting that the Buccaneers have been showing a good amount of interest in Washington Huskies quarterback Jacob Eason…..

OK what does “chatter” mean? That probably means a bunch of people speculating because they have absolutely no real information to go on. Or does it? Because there are Bucs representatives at the Senior Bowl. Stay tuned. I would expect PR is hearing this same chatter and will give us an idea of whether to take it seriously or not?

LOL smh. Gonna be a fun offseason. Rivers fits Arians scheme. Can’t move, can’t throw vertical with any velocity… yeah that’s a done deal HAHAHAHAHA #CryingLaughing

• dexmonkey

Participant

ugh

who really thinks Rivers is any sort of answer at this point?

hes done. D O N E

he was terrible last year and his arm looks shot. hes not an upgrade over Jameis, even as a bridge. id rather bring in a lower tier guy(for even less money) like a Tyrod Taylor or someone like that to be a bridge than waste time with Rivers.

if you’re going the bridge route you’re targeting a QB round 1 because you know its around 6-8 games before the rookie gets called up. im not paying a guy 20+ mil for that

thats just poor business

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

ugh

who really thinks Rivers is any sort of answer at this point?

hes done. D O N E

This…

Guy looked completely disinterested in being on the field.

• Lord Nemesis

Participant

Chargers have comparable offensive weapons to TB and Rivers was absolutely horrible this past season.  I’m fine with moving on from Winston and getting a bridge QB but not Rivers. He’d have around the same amount of turnovers as Jameis but less yards and touchdowns.

• Greattimes

Participant

Rivers bought a house in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Look it up on a map. It would be a daily 12 hour round trip commute to Tampa.

Edit:  It is only a 4 hour and 30 minute commute from Santa Rosa Beach, FL to New Orleans.

• pewterblood

Participant

I don’t think they will sign him. Licht and Arians suck if they do. I think they will sign or trade for a vet QB or draft a QB. Rivers and Jamies are awful options considering their price tag and play.

• m_j

Participant

back to gruden times … taking all 35+ QBs available?

• Biggs3535

Participant

____

For Captain Clueless’ benefit, Philip Rivers and his agent signed a one-year deal with Indy. Anybody with an ounce of football knowledge knew he wasn’t looking for a long-term deal. Per the usual, you were left wandering in the wilderness.

Viewing 55 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.