Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• GoldsonAges

Participant

As we all know, the Bucs picked Don Smith early in the second round and then traded up with their third round pick to select Ali Marpet.Through two games, I have been encouraged by Marpet's improvement. But DSmith is not playing well, and he will probably be out of the starting lineup when Dotson returns later in the year.Another NFL team also selected two OL with their 2nd and 3rd round selections and they selected players who were very high on my wish list. Rob Havenstein from Wisconsin was their choice in the second round. He is a natural RT and there is no debating that. He is not going to play any other position. He was my favorite tackle in the draft. I nicknamed him "bone crusher" after watching tape of him run blocking. He is the starting right tackle for the Rams.In the third round, the Rams selected Jamon Brown out of Louisville. Brown was projected as a 6-7th rounder by most websites. He played left tackle in college but I absolutely loved him as a guard prospect. He was on my draft day list of surprise players who I expected to be drafted earlier than expected. He is the starting left guard for the Rams.Well, I just got done watching the coaches film on these two youngsters and it looks like the Rams got it right. They are still rookies and make rookie mistakes, but in comparison to our picks, these guys look strong. One area they really excel is in the run game. These guys are top notch run blockers and solid against the pass. The Rams are going to be a force to be reckoned with running the football in the years to come with Brown and bone crusher paving the way for Gurley. I am starting to think that the Rams have someone monitoring my Pewterreport account, because they have picked several of my favorite players in the last few years. Nobody pays attention to the OL like other positions. Smith/Marpet will always be compared to Havenstein/Brown because of when they were drafted but this type of thing rarely gets any coverage.

Please wait…

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Anonymous

Inactive

There were quite a few here who were high on Haveistein if I recall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone high on a Wisconsin lineman?  NO WAY DUUUUUDE!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have rewatched the games as well and I honestly think you are being a little harsh on Smith. I think Marpet is playing very well and IMO just might be our best lineman (not saying a whole lot I know). Smith has had his struggles but if he can cut out the penalties then he really wouldn’t be bad at all. Mankins on the other hand has to either take a salary cut in the offseason, which he probably wont, or be cut. I was high on Smith during the draft and thought he would be a great 3rd round pick. I did think he would be a RT but I honestly do like him at LT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith isn’t given as much credit as marpet but dude is way better than Collins was I’d even say on record he’s been better then d.Penn last year here. Hes playing the hardest position on the oline and was a second round pick. I feel like ppl expect him to be jonothan ogden out of the gate. people forget he’s a rookie. Lt is probably the hardest spot to play right away. Yea he gets beat once or twice but imo I feel like he learns how good these guys are and plays well the rest of the game. He's going to be a really really good player for us. Don't look at pff scores for him they don't mean anything imo when he's a rookie lt. Playing the best pass rushers game in game out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have rewatched the games as well and I honestly think you are being a little harsh on Smith. I think Marpet is playing very well and IMO just might be our best lineman (not saying a whole lot I know). Smith has had his struggles but if he can cut out the penalties then he really wouldn't be bad at all. Mankins on the other hand has to either take a salary cut in the offseason, which he probably wont, or be cut. I was high on Smith during the draft and thought he would be a great 3rd round pick. I did think he would be a RT but I honestly do like him at LT.

Smith's motor, or, maybe his acclamation to the nfl, is what's causing most of the problem. He's shot in the fourth quarter.He also is the penalty issue, but i believe that goes away when he catches up to nfl level physicality and speed. Again, another physical issue, not a mental one.He's not missing blocks or assignments, he's just physically not ready yet. If he keeps working hard, imo, the guy could be pretty good. Everyone knew this was hit or miss when these two gentlemen were drafted. These are two rookies, on a normally sh1tty team, with a runningback that normally cowers from hits, that has little to offer for help around them, and a rookie qb behind them to boot. Yet they looked alright in their second game.Idc what other teams are doing, but i do see promise in both these kids.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is a mauler and so is Brown. Their strategy is pretty plain to see. The Rams want to have a dominating run game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haverstein was one of my favorites, but like you said GA, he’s only playing one spot. That said, I’m not all that down on DS. He’s got a lot to clean up, but I think there is something there and feel he’s got a chance to be pretty good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea I’m not disappointed with D Smith yet. He’s playing like a rookie. And he’s had flashes of good play. What he is messing up can be corrected. And I don't think you can compare him to Havenstein as they play opposite sides. And I think Marpet is currently our best OL. I'm thrilled with that pick. I don't think anyone is really comparing Brown/Havenstein to Smith/Marpet. They all play different positions. Might as well throw in the Pats that are starting 3 rookies in their interior OL. All around, seems to be a lot of good OL coming from this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This was a very good draft for OL. I hope Smith can turn it around. I just think he may be out of position. He is a whole heckuva lot similar to Jamon Brown in size and ability and Brown looks really comfortable at left guard. I am not giving up on him, but I think he has started too early due to our desperation at the position, and he could use a bit of a break and possibly eventually slide over into the left guard position. As much as I love Jamon Brown the player, if he was playing left tackle, all of his deficiencies  would be evident, but at left guard, he looks very natural. He doesn't have to defend such a large area, which I believe is the problem with DSmith at LT right now. He looks overwhelmed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t mind seeing Dotson at LT when he gets back.. Rookie OT against Watt has got me a little nervous for Winston. He better have a quick trigger today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't mind seeing Dotson at LT when he gets back.. Rookie OT against Watt has got me a little nervous for Winston. He better have a quick trigger today.

Watt will be up against Cherilous/Marpet. Clowney is on Smith's side.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't mind seeing Dotson at LT when he gets back.. Rookie OT against Watt has got me a little nervous for Winston. He better have a quick trigger today.

Watt will be up against Cherilous/Marpet. Clowney is on Smith's side.

Ahh thought it would be the other way around. Well that's somewhat of a relief.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The right side of our OL looked good last week. Lets hope they can limit the distruption that Watt causes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good for the Rams. All of those high picks and they’ve done jack sh!t with them. Still a fringe team on the fringe.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.