Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 44 reply threads

• Author

• TampaBucks05

Participant

Two year deal.Per Rick Stroud's twitter feed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gosder Cherilus, Tampa Bay Buccaneers strike deal By Chris Wesseling Around the NFL WriterPublished:  Aug. 17, 2015 at 04:24 p.m.  Updated:  Aug. 17, 2015 at 04:31 p.m.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have added a 100-game starter to their beleaguered offensive line.The Bucs have agreed to terms with right tackle Gosder Cherilus on a two-year contract, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports, via a source informed of the deal.The Colts released Cherilus late last month after the eight-year veteran was slow to recover from an offseason knee scope. Cherilus' knee woes appear to be chronic at this point.Tampa Bay's interest in Cherilus escalated after starting right tackle Demar Dotson suffered a knee injury of his own in the preseason opener. The signing suggests Dotson's injury is serious enough to put his Week 1 status in doubt.No matter which veteran starts at right tackle, the Bucs' offensive line remains riddled with question marks. After sinking the offense last season, this unit is now counting on Cherilus and a pair of rookie starters to keep Jameis Winston upright.The latest Around The NFL Podcast breaks down Week 1 of the preseason and kicks off a week's worth of spectacular fantasy insight.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Article from when Cherilus was first cut.  INDIANAPOLIS -- The Colts have released starting right tackle Gosder Cherilus, the team announced Sunday.He was one of the main free-agent acquisitions by the Colts in 2013, when Cherilus signed a five-year, $34 million contract.Cherilus failed to live up to his contract despite starting 29 games the past two seasons. He battled knee, shoulder and groin problems last season before eventually being placed on injured reserve prior to the playoffs.The 31-year-old Cherilus had offseason knee surgery, which kept him from taking part in organized team activities, including a mandatory three-day minicamp in June.Indianapolis tried to restructure Cherilus' contract before cutting him, according to an NFL source. Cherilus' agent Greg Diulus also acknowledged contract negotiations when discussing his client's release."We had some conversations with the Colts [during the last week], and they wanted us to do something contractually that we were not comfortable with," Diulus said. "But Gosder is very healthy, very much in shape and very much looking forward to the season."Cutting Gosder Cherilus will save the Colts $4 million in base salary. Joe Robbins/Getty ImagesThe Colts had serious doubts about Cherilus' health. Jack Mewhort, who started 13 games at left guard as a rookie last season, worked exclusively with the first unit at right tackle during all offseason activities.Diulus believes Cherilus is ready to go physically, which he said the Colts knew."He did what he was supposed to do. He visited the doctors this week, and he passed everything with flying colors," Diulus said. "He's going to play somewhere this year."The Colts will carry $2.9 million in dead money this season and $5.8 million in dead money in 2016 by releasing Cherilus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

cant hurt, only helps with depth and development at the worst.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s probably better than Pamphile right now and he’s good insurance and depth when Dotson comes back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was absolutely  atrocious  while playing  for  Detroit….if you think D. Smith looks like a mudder…this guy is far worse.  I think Long was the better man at this point given his athleticism  even with injuries.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2 year deal worth 7M. 2.5M this year and 4.5M in ’16

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won’t see that 2nd year. JMO.Not a fan of Cherilus, but maybe he'll quiet some of the voices around here calling for a more veteran presence on the line. Me, I'm fine with Pamphile at RT. I actually think Pamphile might be a better LT than Smith, but I can understand the Bucs wanting to stick with Smith for now. This OLine is going to struggle for several games before it starts to gel (if it does).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless they pull off a trade, which I really doubt, we are in dumpster-diving mode, hoping some combination of rickety ol’ vets and peach-fuzzy youngsters can at least somewhat keep Winston off his keester until Dotson returns. And when Dotson is physically ready, he will need time to knock off the rust and get back into some kind of football shape. This ain’t lookin’ too good…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2016 Draft:1. DE2. RT3. DBCalling it now!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

fugg it – sign Long too and stick D.Smith, Pamphile, Cherilus and Long in 2 zoot suits, nobody will notice

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Totally good with this signing. He might have 3 years left in him, might have 1. Either way he’s a pro and that is what we need, depth and experience.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's probably better than Pamphile right now and he's good insurance and depth when Dotson comes back.

Pretty much this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's probably better than Pamphile right now and he's good insurance and depth when Dotson comes back.

Pretty much this.

This is true. It was a must sign with Dotson being down for a time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That dude was ass when he was younger and healthier…imagine now!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good signing. Best available RT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Logan Mankins says…“We have a good group of guys,” Mankins said. “We just have to find the right five.”Mankins also was asked about the new kid on the block, right tackle Gosder Cherilus, who the Bucs signed this afternoon. Mankins seemed to be all on board with bringing in the veteran former first round pick.“Not sure of his status quite yet,” Mankins said. “We just want someone to come in and block the right guy and do it the right way. That’s what we are looking for.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was absolutely  atrocious  while playing  for  Detroit....if you think D. Smith looks like a mudder...this guy is far worse.  I think Long was the better man at this point given his athleticism  even with injuries.

If he was so bad, then it is really surprising that when the Colts signed him in 2013 they made him the highest paid RT in the league.  I realize they cut him 2 years later, but it was a move that was widely reported as being motivated to clear cap space, which makes sense given they just gave Hilton a new deal and still have to deal with Luck's impending monster contract.If the guy has 100 starts in the NFL, he isn't quite as bad as a lot of people are suggesting.  The Bucs certainly could have done worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hes just a guy to add to the depth chart who has experience starting in the NFL. Sounds fine to me. If Pamphile needs a rest, its probably better to bring in Cherilus whos seen a lot rather then Omahmeh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3rd team…3rd contract. STRICK-9 is correct...he practically was run out of Detroit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Totally good with this signing. He might have 3 years left in him, might have 1. Either way he's a pro and that is what we need, depth and experience.

This makes sense to me. Don't like the chronic knee and other injury negatives but if he can get healthy he cannot help but help an OL that needs help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn’t going to be an upgrade over Pamphille or maybe Fragel.  But he will compete with Omameh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought Fragel held his own in PS game 1…  did I miss something?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought Fragel held his own in PS game 1...  did I miss something?

Fragel also received first team snaps yesterday as well. But the Bucs are covering their bases by signing a vet.  This is a good move even though I think he isn't really an upgrade.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m impatient to get to the final five…  and history indicates that Coach ‘Hop hasn’t been successful figuring that out yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3rd team...3rd contract. STRICK-9 is correct...he practically was run out of Detroit.

I am not saying the guy is an all-pro.  But he is pretty darn good for a signing midway through training camp. By the way, I totally disagree that he was run out of Detroit.  According to PFF, he was the 3rd ranked RT in the league in 2012, his last year with the Lions. (Source: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/) He hit free agency and was snapped up by the Colts who made him the highest paid RT in the NFL.  But he was run out of Detroit?!  Guy has been a career starter after being drafted in the first round.  He is not garbage.  He wasn't worth the money the Colts owed him (especially in 2016 and 2017), but he is a good signing considering Dotson's injury and the inexperience we currently have at the OT position.  I am thankful we were able to sign a guy like him at this time of year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3rd team...3rd contract. STRICK-9 is correct...he practically was run out of Detroit.

I am not saying the guy is an all-pro.  But he is pretty darn good for a signing midway through training camp. By the way, I totally disagree that he was run out of Detroit.  According to PFF, he was the 3rd ranked RT in the league in 2012, his last year with the Lions. (Source: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/01/free-agent-offensive-tackles/) He hit free agency and was snapped up by the Colts who made him the highest paid RT in the NFL.  But he was run out of Detroit?!  Guy has been a career starter after being drafted in the first round.  He is not garbage.  He wasn't worth the money the Colts owed him (especially in 2016 and 2017), but he is a good signing considering Dotson's injury and the inexperience we currently have at the OT position.  I am thankful we were able to sign a guy like him at this time of year.

Cherlius is a good pickup.  Pamphille is at best the #4 OT on the team (not counting Dotson).  However, Pamphille is nice to have as he can kick inside if need be and plug in at RG, and thus makes Gilkey expendable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t wait to see Gosder prove me wrong…seriously!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Darn right!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He had a positive grade in 2013 and a negative last year. Hopefully it was an injury issue that he has recovered from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherilous was the RT on the top scoring Colts offense last year (net yards) and he hasn’t committed a holding penalty the last two seasons.I think he'll do.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyone know the cost and structure?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Spotrac has it as 2 year/7 million contract…set to make 2.5 this seasonhttp://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gosder-cherilus/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherilous was the RT on the top scoring Colts offense last year (net yards) and he hasn't committed a holding penalty the last two seasons.I think he'll do.

Also, he was pretty dinged up last year ending on IR....So, if the knee is clean and we can duct tape him together for a season or two. I'm good with the acquisition! I think that I would also run and grab Long as well and use him for injury insurance vs. an injury to Smith, Cherilus and Dotson when he returns...He may be only needed for 7-9 games covering dings and pings to the other 3 which could be good for him to stay healthy.If you bring in Long to start and require major snaps that would backfire in my opinion. But, if you use him as the injury filler it could work out for the team and Long's health in the long run.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Spotrac has it as 2 year/7 million contract...set to make 2.5 this seasonhttp://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/gosder-cherilus/

Its kind of pay as you go I read somewhere. Other than a half mil up front for signing. Nothing guaranteed so if he sucks he can be flushed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherlius is a good pickup. Pamphille is at best the #4 OT on the team (not counting Dotson).  However, Pamphille is nice to have as he can kick inside if need be and plug in at RG, and thus makes Gilkey expendable.

A few posts ago you said he wasn't an upgrade over Pamphile or maybe Fragel. So which is it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was referring to Omameh as he can play guard if necessary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn't going to be an upgrade over Pamphille or maybe Fragel. But he will compete with Omameh.

I believe Booker was replying to this post that you said Cherilus wasn't an upgrade over Pamphille who previously you mentioned that Pamphille would be a 4th OT/OG....I've got to admit you've said both things....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He isn't going to be an upgrade over Pamphille or maybe Fragel. But he will compete with Omameh.

I believe Booker was replying to this post that you said Cherilus wasn't an upgrade over Pamphille who previously you mentioned that Pamphille would be a 4th OT/OG....I've got to admit you've said both things....

Exactly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was referencing Omameh would could kick inside to play OG.  I made an error.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was referencing Omameh would could kick inside to play OG.  I made an error.

It's all Good Dude!GO BUCS!!!!~

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With Ali Marpert all but locking down the RG spot. I don’t see in any situation Gosder does not end up being the starting RT week 1. Makes no sense to put 2 inexperienced players on one side of the line when you have Gosder who has plenty of NFL experience. Only way I can see somebody else starting is if Gosder gets hurt again.We already have 2 rookies on the OL, a third inexperienced guy is all but putting Winston health on the line.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dotson is hopeful to return in 6 weeks.  I read that as he will only miss 3 regular season games and be back for the Panthers game.  I know this is best case scenario but is my math correct? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherilus’ conditioning is my biggest concern…he even intimated something to that effect after his first practice…kinda reminds me of Mankins all over again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cherilus' conditioning is my biggest concern...he even intimated something to that effect after his first practice...kinda reminds me of Mankins all over again.

Yeah, but he said he was sick and the heat wasn't helping in the Press Conference. He apologized for his voice and said he's been battling a cold.. But, he was out there the first day!!! Not waiting around "Time to Get to Work!". Have you ever been sick in the heat of the summer? It sucks worse than normal...

Please wait…

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.