Viewing 98 reply threads

• Author

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Lovie says we’ll see a run first offense… but, we’ve heard that before.This is a look at last year and how well the team did against league per game averages for:

• Defense vs 23 points or less.  That criteria was met 8 times and shown as bolded games in "Result" column.
      • Passing Attempts vs 34 or less.  That was met 10 times and bolded counts shown in "PAtt" column.
      • Rushing Attempt vs 27 or more.  That was met 7 times and bolded counts shown in "RAtt" column.

Opp W# G# Result Cmp PAtt Cmp% Yds TD Int RAtt Yds Y/A TD
      @NYJ 1 1 L 17-18 15 31 48.4% 185 1 1 25 65 2.60 1
      NOR 2 2 L 14-16 9 22 40.9% 113 1 1 33 160 4.85 0
      @NWE 3 3 L 3-23 19 41 46.3% 226 0 1 22 97 4.41 0
      ARI 4 4 L 10-13 24 43 55.8% 173 1 2 31 80 2.58 0
      PHI 6 5 L 20-31 26 43 60.5% 257 2 1 21 94 4.48 0
      @ATL 7 6 L 23-31 26 44 59.1% 226 2 0 28 111 3.96 0
      CAR 8 7 L 13-31 30 51 58.8% 249 1 0 14 48 3.43 0
      @SEA 9 8 L 24-27 OT 18 24 75.0% 145 3 0 38 205 5.39 0
      MIA 10 9 W 22-19 11 21 52.4% 124 1 1 37 140 3.78 1
      ATL 11 10 W 41-28 20 25 80.0% 224 2 0 38 186 4.89 2
      @DET 12 11 W 24-21 14 21 66.7% 207 2 0 24 22 0.92 0
      @CAR 13 12 L 6-27 14 21 66.7% 140 0 1 20 66 3.30 0
      BUF 14 13 W 27-6 9 25 36.0% 81 2 2 36 165 4.58 1
      SFO 15 14 L 14-33 18 34 52.9% 144 2 1 12 39 3.25 0
      @STL 16 15 L 13-23 16 26 61.5% 111 0 0 23 59 2.57 1
      @NOR 17 16 L 17-42 22 42 52.4% 215 2 1 18 75 4.17 0

For the pass happy types: http://pfref.com/tiny/MHtC0 (298 games, 0.384% win rate)For the run heavy types: http://pfref.com/tiny/pWCaj (258 games, 0.748% win rate)For the defensive types: http://pfref.com/tiny/jMKbN (268 games, 0.724% win rate)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can’t believe we lost that Seattle game considering how well we ran the ball.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistics-game/correlation-is-not-causation-why-running-the-football-doesnt-cause-you-to-win-games-in-the-nfl

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't believe we lost that Seattle game considering how well we ran the ball.

That's what happens when you score 3 points and punt the ball 5 times in the 2nd half.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seattle gave up more than the 23 points league average in two games.  The Bucs and the Colts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's what happens when you score 3 points and punt the ball 5 times in the 2nd half.

If I have one wish it's that we are the same team offensively throughout the game.  Don't change your approach, dont try to sit on a lead, just keep doing whatever is successful.  If your QB throws a pic or fumbles or something happens that causes you  a game due to being aggressive, address it then. With the advantages offenses are given in today's NFL it maddening to watch us try to park the bus with a 10+ point lead only to have it disappear due to poor/shiftless coaching.  It's why it's not hard to root for the Pats.  They are always going for the jugular on offense. Then when they were down to the Saints by 10 with 1:30 and change on the clock, they came back and won because they are used to playing the same way the entire game through.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a good thing Lovie realizes the need to play good defense, tho’…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's why, with the exception of VJax, I didn't mind them blowing the whole damn thing up offensively this offseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's why, with the exception of VJax, I didn't mind them blowing the whole damn thing up offensively this offseason.

Starting with Mikey "2 Quarters" Glennon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Considering those whopping 3 points that the offense put up in the second halves of games 1 - 3 ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, pining for Freeman is tantamount to chasing a turd down the toilet bowl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Me saying blowing it up is not me pining for Freeman. I'm just one of the many fans who would like to see an explosive offense in Tampa at least once in my lifetime.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Me saying blowing it up is not me pining for Freeman. I'm just one of the many fans who would like to see an explosive offense in Tampa at least once in my lifetime.

Sorry, was responding to Brandentonian.  I agree with doing what they did in the offseason.  This offense has potential to be lethal quickly. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The trick is keeping the defense fresh in the heat for home games... and not wear the team out for the late season/.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry, was responding to Brandentonian.  I agree with doing what they did in the offseason.  This offense has potential to be lethal quickly.

I think it has the potential to be efficient with our current QB makeup. Explosive, I'm not so sure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW… Josh McCown and da Bears?http://pfref.com/tiny/0qWNQThey only won once when they didn't run the ball 27 times or more.  That one win came when they ran 26 times.  They won every game when they did hit or exceed 27 rushes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Considering those whopping 3 points that the offense put up in the second halves of games 1 - 3 ?

Schiano believed in shutting the offense down in the 2nd half if the game was close at all. Funny some didn't notice the play-calling going into a shell in 2nd halves.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano believed in shutting the offense down in the 2nd half if the game was close at all. Funny some didn't notice the play-calling going into a shell in 2nd halves.

They should have won those first two games off of defense alone... But, defense played a part in the losses, too.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“Funny some didn’t notice the play-calling going into a shell in 2nd halves.”They noticed. In fact, they complained about it back then. But that was when Schiano was their whipping boy. Now that he's gone, selective memory has kicked in and everything is now retroactively Glennon's fault.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol . Good point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh Freeman 20121st quarter: 91.92nd quarter: 67.9 3rd quarter: 79.44th quarter: 82.9Mike Glennon 20131st quarter: 92.22nd quarter: 111.43rd quarter: 62.24th quarter: 64.8 IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF SCHIANO!!!!!

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Case in point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Apparently he didn't believe he had a winning QB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Run First anyone?http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-1008.aspx

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You weren't alone. For me, especially the coaching staff.  On the rare occasion we had a late lead, we went Father Dungy conservative.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, consider that Josh Freeman threw 40 times or more (44) in only one game during his rookie season.  He threw 5 INTs in that game…Mike Glennon threw the ball 40 times or more in 5 games during his rookie season.  He threw 4 INTs in those games combined.  Two of those picks came in his first game, well after the 34 pitch count that would have been reasonable.  But, that's what happens when your run first offense gets 1 rushing first down in the second half...BTW... The Buccaneers are 18-89 when they throw the ball 40 times or more in a game.  7-5 in overtimes, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, you throw the ball late because you’re losing and need to catch up. Running the ball in the second half is a function of scoring points and building a lead in the first half.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW... Josh McCown and da Bears?http://pfref.com/tiny/0qWNQThey only won once when they didn't run the ball 27 times or more.  That one win came when they ran 26 times.  They won every game when they did hit or exceed 27 rushes.

you may have that reversed? When they were winning they ran a lot . . . right?  I am a believer in the running game, but that type of stat often flips causation on its head a bit, doesn't it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW... Josh McCown and da Bears?http://pfref.com/tiny/0qWNQThey only won once when they didn't run the ball 27 times or more.  That one win came when they ran 26 times.  They won every game when they did hit or exceed 27 rushes.

you may have that reversed? When they were winning they ran a lot . . . right?  I am a believer in the running game, but that type of stat often flips causation on its head a bit, doesn't it?

Just run the ball 50 times per game and you automatically win, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, you throw the ball late because you're losing and need to catch up. Running the ball in the second half is a function of scoring points and building a lead in the first half.

Has nothing to do with per carry average, tho'...  The Bucs had a 10 point lead going into the 4th qtr vs AZ.  The one rushing 1st down came on a 22 yard run on a 4th and 1 play... by Dashon Goldson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just run the ball 50 times per game and you automatically win, right?

well, that is why I asked the question.  You read people present it that way, but often times that is the opposite of the way the game plays out. If it wasnt teams would just do what you suggested

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, you throw the ball late because you're losing and need to catch up. Running the ball in the second half is a function of scoring points and building a lead in the first half.

Has nothing to do with per carry average, tho'...  The Bucs had a 10 point lead going into the 4th qtr vs AZ.  The one rushing 1st down came on a 22 yard run on a 4th and 1 play... by Dashon Goldson.

Anything can happen in one game. The point is over the course of a season, the teams that run the most in the second half are the ones who built leads in the first half. And that doesn't mean they get a bunch of 1st downs from running the ball. Often it means they run the ball on 1st and 2nd down and then have a QB who can convert 3rd down.

Please wait…

• DCBucsfan

Participant

Josh Freeman 20121st quarter: 91.92nd quarter: 67.9 3rd quarter: 79.44th quarter: 82.9Mike Glennon 20131st quarter: 92.22nd quarter: 111.43rd quarter: 62.24th quarter: 64.8 IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF SCHIANO!!!!!

I’m not sure how anybody can argue with that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anything can happen in one game. The point is over the course of a season, the teams that run the most in the second half are the ones who built leads in the first half. And that doesn't mean they get a bunch of 1st downs from running the ball. Often it means they run the ball on 1st and 2nd down and then have a QB who can convert 3rd down.

the only exception/expansion to that would be that it is easier for the TEAM to convert a 3rd and 2 than a 3rd and 8 and so running game does matter, its just that its not as simple as run 50 times and win

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the only exception/expansion to that would be that it is easier for the TEAM to convert a 3rd and 2 than a 3rd and 8 and so running game does matter, its just that its not as simple as run 50 times and win

Up by a TD against Seattle in the 4th qtr trying to run the clock out... Twice, they lined up in shotgun when it was 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3.  If you are run first, you run.Down by 4 against Miami going into the 4th qtr.  They ran the ball.  They won the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Up by a TD against Seattle in the 4th qtr trying to run the clock out... Twice, they lined up in shotgun when it was 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3.  If you are run first, you run.

The Bucs scored 3 points and punted 5 times the second half against Seattle. You can't win football games that way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Up by a TD against Seattle in the 4th qtr trying to run the clock out... Twice, they lined up in shotgun when it was 3rd and 2 and 3rd and 3.  If you are run first, you run.

The Bucs scored 3 points and punted 5 times the second half against Seattle. You can't win football games that way.

You do realize that the rushing game is allowed to score, too?  Their "run first" approach score 6 TDs on the season.  Only the Browns were worse... http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-1008.aspx

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that the rushing game is allowed to score, too?  Their "run first" approach score 6 TDs on the season.  Only the Browns were worse... http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-1008.aspx

I'm pretty sure Schiano got fired because building an offense to be run-first isn't a good idea.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm pretty sure Schiano got fired because building an offense to be run-first isn't a good idea.

...and Pete Carroll?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pete Carroll built a dominant defense first

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pete Carroll has the QB with the #4 completion rate and #7 passer rating in the NFL. Seattle’s running backs averaged 0.10 yards more per carry than the Bucs’ backs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In case you missed it, that's a part of being run first.https://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1317248.msg2232867.html#msg2232867

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pete Carroll has the QB with the #4 completion rate and #7 passer rating in the NFL. Seattle's running backs averaged 0.10 yards more per carry than the Bucs' backs.

His quarterback hasn't thrown the ball 40 times in a game in two full seasons.  Perhaps the reason for those "ratings"?  But, don't take anything away from what he contributes to the running game...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pete Carroll has the QB with the #4 completion rate and #7 passer rating in the NFL. Seattle's running backs averaged 0.10 yards more per carry than the Bucs' backs.

His quarterback hasn't thrown the ball 40 times in a game in two full seasons.  Perhaps the reason for those "ratings"?  But, don't take anything away from what he contributes to the running game...

Good QBs are good QBs no matter how often they pass the ball. And, yes, having a QB who can convert 3rd downs with his feet is huge.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In case you missed it, that's a part of being run first.https://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1317248.msg2232867.html#msg2232867

I was speaking to the Schiano/Carroll comparison

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seattle's running backs averaged 0.10 yards more per carry than the Bucs' backs.

This is where stats really let us down without context. I am going to guess that Seattle had one of the best turnover ratios?  And that they ran many more times per game than the Bucs? in football, most of the pieces are connected so the stats are problematic without contextI am not a stat guy, but the stats I can find show that Seattle ran often on first down and converted a good number of first downs by rushing and had a high percentage of rushing plays.  They see to op most of the rushing stats:http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seattle's running backs averaged 0.10 yards more per carry than the Bucs' backs.

This is where stats really let us down without more context. I am going to guess that Seattle had one of the best turnover ratios?  And that they ran many more times per game than the Bucs?

Seattle was +22 in turnovers. Tampa Bay was +13 (#6 in the NFL).  Seattle had 89 rushing attempts more the the Bucs. They really weren't very good on designed running plays. They were markedly better in 2012. Russell Wilson had 96 rushing attempts for 539 yards. That was huge for them. Glennon and Freeman combined for 32 rushing attempts and 57 yards. 20 of those yards were from Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is where stats really let us down without more context. I am going to guess that Seattle had one of the best turnover ratios?  And that they ran many more times per game than the Bucs?

Seattle was +22 in turnovers. Tampa Bay was +13 (#6 in the NFL).  Seattle had 89 rushing attempts more the the Bucs. They really weren't very good on designed running plays. They were markedly better in 2012. Russell Wilson had 96 rushing attempts for 539 yards. That was huge for them. Glennon and Freeman combined for 32 rushing attempts and 57 yards. 20 of those yards were from Freeman.

why are we comparing them to 2012? Again, not a stat guy, but these stats suggest they were pretty darn committed to the run:http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you dont know the difference between a vet and a rookie in terms of what game experience means than I would suggest you start watching football. I mean really watching it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you dont know the difference between a vet and a rookie in terms of what game experience means than I would suggest you start watching football. I mean really watching it.

So then you agree it was a Glennon issue not a Schiano one

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did Schiano say the Bucs were pass first?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, I think Schiano handled Glennon differently than he would handle a vet.  As would any coach. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this ^^is the stuff that makes Red Board debates so funny.  You have FRG sarcastically posting "IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF SCHIANO!!!!!" when I doubt most reasonable people would say it "all"  about Schiano . .. and then you have Brads with the "or" (i.e., it was Glennon OR Schiano) . .  not possibly BOTH. lol.You guys all hate gray. Glennon struggled some last year because of his own weaknesses AND because he was a rookie AND he had a bad coach AND they had a bad team  AND bad/questionable offense.  He succeeded some last year because of his abilities etc. It wasn't all Glennon or all Schiano, it was both . . and more

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

why are we comparing them to 2012? Again, not a stat guy, but these stats suggest they were pretty darn committed to the run:http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

I don't care how "committed" they were. That's all talk. I only care how effective they were. I want to see the proof. They weren't terribly effective running the ball on designed runs. They simply got a lot of opportunities because they had a really efficient QB (who could also run) and a lot of monster leads from their defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's not comparing them to 2012.  He's just acknowledging that Seattle ran the ball better in 2012.  That said, Seattle's 89 more rushing attempts than the Bucs had put them second in the league in terms of attempts.  So far as any team could be said to have committed to the run, one could say it of Seattle.  Of course, that still doesn't really say anything as to whether they won because they ran a lot or were able to run frequently because they were winning.  I personally suspect it was a bit of both.  Looking at the breakdown of runs by their RBs by corner (I know Wilson had designed running plays, but I assume he scrambled often enough that including him would add noise to the calculations), they ran more in the fourth than they did any other quarter.  But the second quarter came in second.All this said, I can't help but also note that Seattle averaged 8.4 YPA when passing versus the Bucs' 6.2.  The correlation between those figures and the teams' successes seems far more clear.  But correlation, causation, you know the drill.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All this said, I can't help but also note that Seattle averaged 8.4 YPA when passing versus the Bucs' 6.2.  The correlation between those figures and the teams' successes seems far more clear.  But correlation, causation, you know the drill.

I've been talking about YPA for the longest time and no one wants to hear it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All this said, I can't help but also note that Seattle averaged 8.4 YPA when passing versus the Bucs' 6.2.  The correlation between those figures and the teams' successes seems far more clear.  But correlation, causation, you know the drill.

I've been talking about YPA for the longest time and no one wants to hear it.

YPA speaks a lot more to the athletes surrounding Glennon than it does Glennon himself.  That appears to have changed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't care how "committed" they were. That's all talk. I only care how effective they were. I want to see the proof. They weren't terribly effective running the ball on designed runs. They simply got a lot of opportunities because they had a really efficient QB (who could also run) and a lot of monster leads from their defense.

I think those stats show that they ran a good amount of first downs. that is a choice (an interesting one with that great qb) and they ran for a good number of first downs. another choice, again interesting with a great qb.  I presume you have the stats, so if you differ just make the case. I am open minded

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the 4 games in November, when Glennon threw the ball 22 times per game... 8.9 YPA.  7:1 TD:INT.  119.7 Passer rating.http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeglennon/2539275/gamesplitshttp://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-1009.aspx

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the 4 games in November, when Glennon threw the ball 22 times per game... 8.9 YPA.  7:1 TD:INT.  119.7 Passer rating.http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeglennon/2539275/gamesplitshttp://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-1009.aspx

He had a stretch that shows he can be a good game manager. Has anyone really said otherwise?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he did that for the rest of the season, we wouldn't be having this conversation. And if Freeman kept playing the way he did the middle of 2012 we wouldn't even know Mike Glennon's name. But unfortunately both Freeman and Glennon played the way they did the second halves of those seasons and here we are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And three of the team's four wins came during that timeframe, didn't it?  I think you may be reading more into my post than I intended.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He had a stretch that shows he can be a good game manager. Has anyone really said otherwise?

I'm not sure what about that makes Glennon a game manager... and don't really care.  Russell Wilson threw the ball 25~26 times a game all season long.  If that's game manager territory, I'll take it... along with the running game and defense that run first teams need to win.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Russell Wilson isn’t a game manager. Yards per attempt1. Nick Foles2. Aaron Rodgers3. Peyton Manning4. Russell Wilson37. Mike GlennonPasser rating1. Nick Foles2. Peyton Manning3. Josh McCown4. Philip Rivers5. Aaron Rodgers6. Drew Brees7. Russell Wilson21. Mike Glennon This isn't an accident.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure what about that makes Glennon a game manager... and don't really care.  Russell Wilson threw the ball 25~26 times a game all season long.  If that's game manager territory, I'll take it... along with the running game and defense that run first teams need to win.

When did I say it was a bad thing? I'm simply saying he's probably not going to be that guy who throws for 3800 yards and 30 TD's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Russell Wilson isn't a game manager. Yards per attempt1. Nick Foles2. Aaron Rodgers3. Peyton Manning4. Russell Wilson37. Mike GlennonPasser rating1. Nick Foles2. Peyton Manning3. Josh McCown4. Philip Rivers5. Aaron Rodgers6. Drew Brees7. Russell Wilson21. Mike Glennon This isn't an accident.

I think that the "game manager" suggestion is coming from Wilson's attempts, which were actually fewer than Glennon's last season.  I can understand an argument that puts a high efficiency-low volume passer into a fundamentally different category than high-efficiency-high volume passers.  Possibly "game manager" isn't the right name for that different category.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Russell Wilson isn't a game manager. Yards per attempt1. Nick Foles2. Aaron Rodgers3. Peyton Manning4. Russell Wilson37. Mike GlennonPasser rating1. Nick Foles2. Peyton Manning3. Josh McCown4. Philip Rivers5. Aaron Rodgers6. Drew Brees7. Russell Wilson21. Mike Glennon This isn't an accident.

Do you think Glennon would have had better or worse #s playing in Seattle than he did as a rookie starter here in Tampa Bay?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think that the "game manager" suggestion is coming from Wilson's attempts, which were actually fewer than Glennon's last season.  I can understand an argument that puts a high efficiency-low volume passer into a fundamentally different category than high-efficiency-high volume passers.  Possibly "game manager" isn't the right name for that different category.

That's fine. I'm mostly pointing out how the numbers score a high efficiency-low volume passer significantly better than a low efficiency-high volume passer like Glennon even though him and Wilson have somewhat similar yards and TDs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's "elite"... a rare breed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do you think Glennon would have had better or worse #s playing in Seattle than he did as a rookie starter here in Tampa Bay?

It's possible Seattle could have had a good record with Glennon just like the 2012 Vikings did with Christian Ponder, but at the end of the day good QBs are good QBs and they stand on their own. You can't hide for long in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's fine. I'm mostly pointing out how the numbers score a high efficiency-low volume passer significantly better than a low efficiency-high volume passer like Glennon even though him and Wilson have somewhat similar yards and TDs.

Sure, sure.  No arguments there from me.  Glennon had some serviceable games (and imo, greatly benefitted when he stopped being asked to repeatedly throw 40+ times a game), but relative to last year, he has a lot of work to do to be a Wilson-like quarterback.  Even strictly as a passer, as he'll obviously never be like him as a runner.  I'm not willing to write off the possibility that he can do so, although I do think that's his likely ceiling.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's "elite"... a rare breed.

I assume you mean the "high-efficiency-high volume" types.  And absolutely.  I don't hold it against Glennon that I think it's fairly unlikely he'll ever reach that level.  I mean, if the team had a chance to draft a guy who they thought could reach that level and took it, I also wouldn't complain.  Elite quarterbacks are obviously *immensely* valuable.  But don't think that I'm one of the people who think that Glennon is trash with no chance to improve. 

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

I'm sure Russell would have put up just as good of numbers in Schiano's offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm sure Russell would have put up just as good of numbers in Schiano's offense.

i don't see any blue... So, can I assume than is a comparison to Glennon's numbers in Schiano's offense?  And, would he be allowed to run?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just posted this last week, but in case you guys forgot Russell Wilson has lots of good games in which the running game does nothing.

Again, you can't count on running the ball well in every game. Defensive players get paid and go to Pro Bowls, too. They can stop a running game if they want to.Marshawn Lynch had six games with a 3.5 YPC or lower and six with 70 yards or less rushing. Week 1 @ Carolina: Wilson 115.7 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 43 yardsWeek 6 vs Ten: Wilson 98.5 passer rating, Lynch 21 car 77 yardsWeek 8 @ STL: Wilson 117.6 passer rating, Lynch 8 car 23 yardsWeek 11 vs Min: Wilson 151.4 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 54 yardsWeek 13 vs New Orleans: Wilson 139.6 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 45 yardsWeek 15 @ Giants: Wilson 86.3 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 47 yardsYour QB has to be able to play well when the running game isn't working. That's why people like Schiano get fired. That style of football doesn't work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i don't see any blue... So, can I assume than is a comparison to Glennon's numbers in Schiano's offense?  And, would he be allowed to run?

I'm sure Russell would be real worried about what he was "allowed" to do when he saw a clear lane open up to scramble for a 1st

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilson had over 500 yards rushing and converted 31 first downs with his feet. That's just a part of his game Glennon will never be able to do and had nothing to do with Schiano. If the 2013 Bucs had an extra 500 yards and 31 more 1st downs from QB runs, they probably would have gone 8-8.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilson had over 500 yards rushing and converted 31 first downs with his feet. That's just a part of his game Glennon will never be able to do and had nothing to do with Schiano. If the 2013 Bucs had an extra 500 yards and 31 more 1st downs from QB runs, they probably would have gone 8-8.

You need to read up on scheme's a little.  Will help you understand how QBs that dont run the ball can also be successful in the NFL. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You need to read up on scheme's a little.  Will help you understand how QBs that dont run the ball can also be successful in the NFL.

Not when they crumble under pressure

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just posted this last week, but in case you guys forgot Russell Wilson has lots of good games in which the running game does nothing. ...Again, you can't count on running the ball well in every game. Defensive players get paid and go to Pro Bowls, too. They can stop a running game if they want to.Marshawn Lynch had six games with a 3.5 YPC or lower and six with 70 yards or less rushing. Week 1 @ Carolina: Wilson 115.7 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 43 yardsWeek 6 vs Ten: Wilson 98.5 passer rating, Lynch 21 car 77 yardsWeek 8 @ STL: Wilson 117.6 passer rating, Lynch 8 car 23 yardsWeek 11 vs Min: Wilson 151.4 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 54 yardsWeek 13 vs New Orleans: Wilson 139.6 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 45 yardsWeek 15 @ Giants: Wilson 86.3 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 47 yardsYour QB has to be able to play well when the running game isn't working. That's why people like Schiano get fired. That style of football doesn't work.

You vector off on such non-sequitur directions.  Lynch isn't all there was to their running game.  The only one of those games where the number of rushes was under league average was against the Rams.  Wilson threw the ball 18 times.  Since I know how important to you it is... Wilson was sacked 7 times in that game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lynch isn't all there was to their running game. 

You're right. Russell Wilson had 500 yards rushing and picked up 31 1st downs on his own.

Wilson threw the ball 18 times.  Since I know how important to you it is... Wilson was sacked 7 times in that game.

He must be some kind of player to get beat up that much and still have a really good game passing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lynch isn't all there was to their running game. 

You're right. Russell Wilson had 500 yards rushing and picked up 31 1st downs on his own.

Wilson threw the ball 18 times.  Since I know how important to you it is... Wilson was sacked 7 times in that game.

He must be some kind of player to get beat up that much and still have a really good game passing.

So, have we established that a 14 point, 135 (total offense) yard game is what a good quarterback does for you?  Or, could it be that the defense held the Rams to 3 FGs?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, have we established that a 14 point, 135 (total offense) yard game is what a good quarterback does for you?  Or, could it be that the defense held the Rams to 3 FGs?

Let's not forget Glennon had a game where he went 9-25 for 90 yards and the Bucs won by 21 points. It goes both ways. Weird things can happen 1-2 games per season. But over a 16 game season for two years now Russell Wilson has ranked among the most efficient passers in the NFL and Mike Glennon is getting replaced by a career journeyman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Let's not forget Glennon had a game where he went 9-25 for 90 yards and the Bucs won by 21 points. It goes both ways. Weird things can happen 1-2 games per season. But over a 16 game season for two years now Russell Wilson has ranked among the most efficient passers in the NFL and Mike Glennon is getting replaced by a career journeyman.

You mean... They actually did do the "run first"?  And Glennon threw 2 TDs, just as Wilson did in that Rams game...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You mean... They actually did do the "run first"?  And Glennon threw 2 TDs, just as Wilson did in that Rams game...

The difference was Wilson was actually good that game. He had a 117.6 passer rating. Glennon had a 40.4 rating.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The difference was Wilson was actually good that game. He had a 117.6 passer rating. Glennon had a 40.4 rating.

One team had 14 points on the scoreboard, one had 27.  The difference had nothing to do with QB ratings.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agJIP.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Calico is pwning FRG…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One team had 14 points on the scoreboard, one had 27.  The difference had nothing to do with QB ratings.

Again, that's one game. Anything can happen in one game. But over the course of a season, you're going to win a lot more games when your QB posts 117 passer ratings than 40, as evidenced by where Seattle and Tampa ended up. If you want to win a bunch of games in spite of your QB play, maybe Schiano will have an opening on his next staff for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, that's one game. Anything can happen in one game. But over the course of a season, you're going to win a lot more games when your QB posts 117 passer ratings than 40, as evidenced by where Seattle and Tampa ended up. If you want to win a bunch of games in spite of your QB play, maybe Schiano will have an opening on his next staff for you.

FRG = not informed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW… Seattle had 5 games in the last two seasons where their pass completion rate was less than 50%… all by Russell Wilson.  But, they did manage to get 2 wins out of it.The Bucs had 7 games in the last two seasons where their pass completion rate was less than 50%... Six losses by Freeman, one win by Glennon.What would become of Glennon if he had 4 more such games this year... to catch up (or is it down?) with Wilson?  Kafka time?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For the love of God, can we stop comparing Glennon to Wilson?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems to bother the Donk...  :PBTW... NC State already did that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BTW... NC State already did that.

Boom !!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And the guy that made that call was promptly given his pink slip.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And the guy that made that call was promptly given his pink slip.

Replaced with him with a guy who couldn't win a single conference game...  Still, you look at the Wolfpack's two bowl games in Wilson's 3 years vs. two bowl games in Glennon's 2 years... good choice.  They did fall off a cliff after that, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually it's more like comparing Tampa to Seattle and right now, there is no comparison.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

how many days until tc?  ugh

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s the NFC playoff teams:Rushing Attempts >= 27

Rk Tm W L T W-L% Count
      2 Green Bay Packers 7 4 1 0.625 12
      3 Seattle Seahawks 11 1 0 0.917 12
      4 Carolina Panthers 10 1 0 0.909 11
      6 Philadelphia Eagles 9 2 0 0.818 11
      8 San Francisco 49ers 11 0 0 1.000 11
      27 New Orleans Saints 4 1 0 0.800 5

Obviously, the Saints are pass first.  The Packers were forced to be run first when they lost their "elite" QB...Otherwise, there are no posers when it comes to running the ball.What will Lovie and Tedford come up with?

Please wait…

Viewing 98 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.