Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Winning the turnover battle hasn’t been the Bucs strength by Gil ArciaJune 20  20147b42c024-cace-4d76-9568-666fac5d60db_zps099f7a2a.pngSay what you want about former head coach Greg Schiano but when he constantly said winning the turnover battle was key to winning football games last season, he was dead honest and for the right reason. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers finished 2014 with a record of 4-12. Within that record, they went 3-1 when they were on the plus side of the turnover ratio. They were 1-11 when they were not (1-8 when equal, 0-3 when negative). In fact, the Bucs have struggled in that category the past five years where they have gone 19-12 when leading in turnovers but 9-40 when they did not. Of course Schiano isn’t the only coach that tries to coach by the theory of forcing turnovers and taking care of the football. It’s common throughout the NFL. But with as bad as the Buccaneers’ offense was last season, when the team took care of the football and created turnovers they won football games. Head Coach Lovie Smith and his defenses prey on their opponents and force turnovers. That was evident during his time in Chicago. Smith coached the Bears to winning records in six of his nine seasons. The three that were losing seasons saw the Bears on the negative side of the turnover battle (2004, 2007, 2009). Much like how the players practiced under Schiano in perfecting the art of takeaways, a lot of the same has gone on this offseason under Smith. Two very different styles, but one main goal. There is no exact science to winning the turnover battle. If there was then we would see a lot more success. The new regime is committed to putting a good product on the field and have talked with lots of optimism so far in regards to the team. But they have to force turnovers and the offense has to protect the football while winning games. Something they haven’t been able to do successfully in recent years. Follow Gil on Twitter: @GilArciaTBClink

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn, I thought this was about the, “before I came to tampa, it was a laughingstock” topic.He was actually right about that. Shame he didn't do anything about it though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was actually right about a few things but who cares when you’re losing?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even a blind squirrel is right twice a day — Tank Dempsey.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn’t we actually have a positive turnover ratio last year?!?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m pretty sure we were one of the only losing teams last year to finish way ahead in turnover differential. Which is crazy to think our record was bad as it was. I think we wer top 10 in turnover differential except our offense was 32 out of 32 so even if we got the ball back we went 3 n out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah that’s what I thought. Crazy to think we could have a positive turnover differential and still be 4-12. That’s some high quality coaching right there, I guess turnovers don’t mean much if you don’t do anything with them but your competitor does.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was actually right about a few things but who cares when you're losing?

True.I'm glad he was right about Freeman. I'll thank him forever for that one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're glad he was right that our young (hopeful) franchise QB turned out to be a complete turd?Personally speaking I'd have rather he were wrong on that one and we ended up with a decent QB rather than the situation we have now.There was no winner with him being right about that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're glad he was right that our young (hopeful) franchise QB turned out to be a complete turd?Personally speaking I'd have rather he were wrong on that one and we ended up with a decent QB rather than the situation we have now.There was no winner with him being right about that.

I don't think anyone's glad he didn't turn out well, I think we're glad that Schiano reazlied we were wasting time with him.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

I don't think anyone's glad he didn't turn out well, I think we're glad that Schiano reazlied we were wasting time with him.

Yeah imagine if we extended Freeman prior to this year. ???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I had no idea we already played the 2014 season….and Schiano was back? WTF happened?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah that's what I thought. Crazy to think we could have a positive turnover differential and still be 4-12. That's some high quality coaching right there, I guess turnovers don't mean much if you don't do anything with them but your competitor does.

Coach Schiano's offense was predicated on being able to run the ball.  He would have been a much better coach at it had it not been for losing his top two RB's, his entire fleet of  TE's,  his #2 WR,  starting qB going haywire, and two pro bowl Guards either injured or never having recovered from previous.  I'd like to see how any head coach's offense would fair under the same conditions, Lovie included.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah that's what I thought. Crazy to think we could have a positive turnover differential and still be 4-12. That's some high quality coaching right there, I guess turnovers don't mean much if you don't do anything with them but your competitor does.

Coach Schiano's offense was predicated on being able to run the ball.  He would have been a much better coach at it had it not been for losing his top two RB's, his entire fleet of  TE's,  his #2 WR,  starting qB going haywire, and two pro bowl Guards either injured or never having recovered from previous.  I'd like to see how any head coach's offense would fair under the same conditions, Lovie included.

If he had a better public persona and reputation, he may have gotten another chance. However, Lovie's availability was probably too much to pass up for the Glazers. As seen by many on this board mancrushing on him because he was a part of the "good ole days" :P

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah imagine if we extended Freeman prior to this year. ???

We would have been up shytz creek.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does Schiano get credit for getting rid of Freeman? There were VERY few people who actually wanted to extend Freeman before last year, if any. I was considered one of the biggest Freepologists on this board and I didn’t even want to extend him until after the 2013 season if he played well enough. Freeman played like dogshit in the first 3 games and Schiano pulled the plug, just like any other coach would have done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does Schiano get credit for getting rid of Freeman? There were VERY few people who actually wanted to extend Freeman before last year, if any. I was considered one of the biggest Freepologists on this board and I didn't even want to extend him until after the 2013 season if he played well enough. Freeman played like dog**CENSORED** in the first 3 games and Schiano pulled the plug, just like any other coach would have done.

You can't give the man credit for anything. Smh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why does Schiano get credit for getting rid of Freeman? There were VERY few people who actually wanted to extend Freeman before last year, if any. I was considered one of the biggest Freepologists on this board and I didn't even want to extend him until after the 2013 season if he played well enough. Freeman played like dog**CENSORED** in the first 3 games and Schiano pulled the plug, just like any other coach would have done.

I give him credit for weeding out some players and having a good eye for talent in the draft, but that's all he was really good for. The man finished with a worse record than Raheem Morris, for christ sakes. He wasn't good for much.I just don't understand why people constantly give him credit for getting rid of Freeman, when it was a logical decision that any coach would have made.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I give him credit for weeding out some players and having a good eye for talent in the draft, but that's all he was really good for. The man finished with a worse record than Raheem Morris, for christ sakes. He wasn't good for much.I just don't understand why people constantly give him credit for getting rid of Freeman, when it was a logical decision that any coach would have made.

Belicheat could have gotten more out of Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably, but you can't really blame Schiano for that. Freeman's downfall is his fault. His work ethic sucked and he wasn't committed to spending the necessary time needed to be a good NFL QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Probably, but you can't really blame Schiano for that. Freeman's downfall is his fault. His work ethic sucked and he wasn't committed to spending the necessary time needed to be a good NFL QB.

I dunno. If we had Marty Schottenheimer instead of Raheem.. Ah well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman can get the blame for most of it, but he wasn’t ever going to succeed the way they were trying to play him either. He’s sadly the closest qb to a “gunslinger” we have had, and they wanted to turn him into Mr. Conservative.They could do that with glennon, who was already like that coming from college, but they lacked the ability to conform to freeman's style, or train him properly, so he had to be sent off.The other factor was obviously the drugs. Can't do much with a crackhead qb either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can't do much with a crackhead qb either.

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano did a lot of things right in Tampa. Got rid of troublesome players, instill hard work and decipline into this team, did well with community service and brought in the frame work of talent that will lead this team into the future. His biggest flaw was also the most important flaw, he isnt a very good coach and was to stubborn try anything new or different.Outside of that and apparently treating the players like teens rather than professionals he did well here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This article is stupid since every coach subscribes to this.  Schiano sucked balls and we don’t need to be reminded of his garbage coaching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This article is stupid since every coach subscribes to this.  Schiano sucked balls and we don't need to be reminded of his garbage coaching.

Ignore history and it will happen again.Frighteningly and truthfully, we have to go on with the stain of he and raheem's dreadful seasons as a reminder of how bad it REALLY could be.Next time we have a hc that can at least make playoffs once in awhile, I hope the glazers keep those two in mind before they use the "mediocre" card.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This article is stupid since every coach subscribes to this.  Schiano sucked balls and we don't need to be reminded of his garbage coaching.

Ignore history and it will happen again.Frighteningly and truthfully, we have to go on with the stain of he and raheem's dreadful seasons as a reminder of how bad it REALLY could be.Next time we have a hc that can at least make playoffs once in awhile, I hope the glazers keep those two in mind before they use the "mediocre" card.

Settling for mediocrity is never an option, I'd rather they try and find the next big thing & strike out than settle on a mediocre option.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup…I’m sure you wouldn’t have liked to at least see a playoff game with our team in it the last few years. THIS (looks around at w/l stats) is what you'd rather have? Because statistically, finding a hc that is a "homerun" is almost impossible. We got lucky once in that aspect within the entire history of the bucs...I think you're kidding yourself. Mediocre has a chance, piss-poor doesn't get you anything but earlier picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup...I'm sure you wouldn't have liked to at least see a playoff game with our team in it the last few years. THIS (looks around at w/l stats) is what you'd rather have? Because statistically, finding a hc that is a "homerun" is almost impossible. We got lucky once in that aspect within the entire history of the bucs...I think you're kidding yourself. Mediocre has a chance, piss-poor doesn't get you anything but earlier picks.

I'd rather strive for greatness and risk disaster like we have then settle for mediocrity and ultimately get the same result of zero wins that matter, remember those mediocre years we left behind didn't include any playoff wins either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When exactly did we “strive for greatness” with the last two hc’s we’ve had?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty sure this thread was going to be about Mike Glennon , the future ….

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.