Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

Moves I loved, liked and loathed in the 2017 NFL Draft

4) The Buccaneers book a postseason berth
      The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a playoff move at No. 19, where GM Jason Licht pilfered O.J. Howard, a top-10 talent and do-it-all tight end with a winning pedigree. The Alabama product will make an instant impact in Tampa, combining with young stud receiver Mike Evans and field-stretching free-agent signee DeSean Jackson to give QB Jameis Winston a major boost in Year 3. Mark it down: The Bucs are going to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805464/article/moves-i-loved-liked-and-loathed-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

I think I speak for everyone on here. Barring injury, they certainly should make the playoffs.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• FanofTB

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>It’ll be tough but I would love to go into the TNF game with the Patriots with both teams being undefeated. I think Giants will be the biggest challenge up until that point.</p>

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Whether we make the playoffs is going to be all up to the defense. The offense has zero excuses now with the addition of Howard and Djax we should be unstoppable – granted the OL stays healthy.

The defense was jeckyl and hyde last year – either really good or rotten. And did we get better this offseason? I don’t know it really comes down to Wilcox vs McDougald and Devonte Bond vs Darry Smith. As long as those players can plug in and hold up the defense should be better

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Crazy Legs

Participant

We will win the division. The sky’s the limit. Our DB play may carry us all the way to the Super Bowl.

Certified Redboard GM
      Mediocrity is the sincerest form of Imitation that greatness can pay to flattery

• Mic

Participant

Only way our Defense stays strong is if our Dline stays consistent

• bucinsouthFL

Participant

I agree with what’s been posted about our offense. I think we have solid starters across the board. Our o line is not Dallas, but I think the combo of D Jax opening things up, and Howard blocking will help them out.

The defense imo comes down to 3 guys.

Kwon, Spence, and VHIII. Kwon needs to step up to ALL PRO level. He’s knocking on the door. He said it himself he needs to force more splash plays. Spence has a solid year playing hurt. We need him to be a consistent force. I feel like those 2 things can happen. I think the most important player going into next year (outside of Jameis) and the biggest wildcard is VHIII. We need a true game changer at corner. That’s why he was drafted to be. If those three young guys can step up. I feel like we can make the playoffs.

• Cpt.Curt

Participant

I feel like if our Oline and Dline didn’t get beat up in that Broncos game last year we would have made the playoffs last year.  We didn’t really add much depth to either this off season which worries me but with everyone healthy and new weapons for Winston (Also a huge problem staying healthy last year) that we should get over that hump.  I’d like to see us bring in some guys for both lines and maybe a CB as the cuts begin to make roster spots for every team.

We are seriously being built from almost scratch since Licht has come here and can be competitive for the long run if this direction continues.  It starts with keeping our coaching staff for more than a couple years at a time though.

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Way to go out on a limb there Scheiny.  Ballsy prediction.  [sarcasm font]

• buccnation

Participant

It kinda sucks that we really aren’t under the radar anymore. People are expecting us to make the jump. As long as we don’t under perform then it really won’t matter.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Despite the tough schedule, I can see this year being the long awaited return to the postseason.

• Biggs3535

Participant

It will be a mark against the FO, Coaches, and Players if they don’t make the playoffs.

• wreck ship

Participant

it will be a disappointment if the Bucs dont make the playoffs after barely missing it last season.

• BucNCane

Participant

This schedule seems a lot lighter than last years. Only 1 west coast road trip and AFC East.

Also get NFC North for any possible tie breakers.

11 wins is the goal. 12 is certainly doable.

• Northern Rep

Participant

Whether we make the playoffs is going to be all up to the defense. The offense has zero excuses now with the addition of Howard and Djax we should be unstoppable – granted the OL stays healthy. The defense was jeckyl and hyde last year – either really good or rotten. And did we get better this offseason? I don’t know it really comes down to Wilcox vs McDougald and Devonte Bond vs Darry Smith. As long as those players can plug in and hold up the defense should be better

I’m hoping that Chris Baker will be a difference maker

• Madman

Participant

The QB, the talent around him, and the coaching staff all seem to be in place for a playoff run.

• Runole

Participant

Has the season started yet! pure torture for the next 3+months

• spurzo

Participant

Vegas futures has our over/under at 8 wins, which is the lowest of all the NFC South.

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

4) The Buccaneers book a postseason berth The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a playoff move at No. 19, where GM Jason Licht pilfered O.J. Howard, a top-10 talent and do-it-all tight end with a winning pedigree. The Alabama product will make an instant impact in Tampa, combining with young stud receiver Mike Evans and field-stretching free-agent signee DeSean Jackson to give QB Jameis Winston a major boost in Year 3. Mark it down: The Bucs are going to the playoffs. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805464/article/moves-i-loved-liked-and-loathed-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

Nah, not buying it.  Oh, I can certainly see the Bucs making the playoffs, but O.J. Howard isn’t the reason.  Had the Bucs drafted (and I believe more wisely so), a DE, OL, or WR (possibly via trade down), the Bucs would still be a playoff contender.  The selection of Godwin in the 3rd, plus a selection of someone like Davis, Conley, Peppers, McKinley, or Charlton would have solidified my stance on the Bucs making the playoffs.

Last year, Brate recorded 57 receptions, 660 yards, and 8 TD’s.  If Howard equals that, do you know where that would put him on the “TE all-time rookie” list (in the Super Bowl era – 52 years)?  #1.  That’s right.  Howard would have the best season by rookie tight end since 1966.  I don’t see really how Howard will drastically upgrade the Bucs offense.  I think if Howard never plays a snap this year, the addition of Jackson, plus Godwin in the slot along with Brate as the everydown TE, the Bucs should have a very productive offense / season.

• tog

Participant

Nah, not buying it. Oh, I can certainly see the Bucs making the playoffs, but O.J. Howard isn’t the reason. Had the Bucs drafted (and I believe more wisely so), a DE, OL, or WR (possibly via trade down), the Bucs would still be a playoff contender. The selection of Godwin in the 3rd, plus a selection of someone like Davis, Conley, Peppers, McKinley, or Charlton would have solidified my stance on the Bucs making the playoffs. Last year, Brate recorded 57 receptions, 660 yards, and 8 TD’s. If Howard equals that, do you know where that would put him on the “TE all-time rookie” list (in the Super Bowl era – 52 years)? #1. That’s right. Howard would have the best season by rookie tight end since 1966. I don’t see really how Howard will drastically upgrade the Bucs offense. I think if Howard never plays a snap this year, the addition of Jackson, plus Godwin in the slot along with Brate as the everydown TE, the Bucs should have a very productive offense / season.

This is a great point, and not a knock on Howard at all.  Rookie TEs do not contribute significantly. Its one of those weird positions (like CB) where it takes time to make the transition. Probably a combination of the size/speed of NFL front 7s on top of having to learn an NFL playbook/route running.

I wouldn’t be so quick to pencil Howard in as a starter. I’d expect him to spend most of the year as a backup/situational player. Brate was effective and outside of Howard being a total anomaly, the Bucs will be better off with Brate starting in 2017.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.