Viewing 45 reply threads

• Author

• BucNY

Participant

Come redboard, who wants this guy at  #39 with me? Trade me down, pick up Beckum and then take Met in the 2nd!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know about #39…  They wanted the 3rd round pick back from the Revis trade, tho’…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he easily gets into the 3rd.Undervalued guy IMO, but he's much akin to our current back up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he easily gets into the 3rd.Undervalued guy IMO, but he's much akin to our current back up.

...and coming off of an ACL tear, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is something I would be in favor of.  He’ll be available at a point in the draft where he’s not much risk and he has as much surface talent as any QB in the draft.  It would actually make logical sense and wouldn’t feel like a white trash, Ben T. Davis Beach, jean short wearing, Natty Ice drinking, jersey selling, circus move.  I’m in!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know the ACL tear is hurting him, but he’s up working out and throwing again. Have you guys seen this man throw? He’s a legit NFL QB with the best arm in the class by far. Great pocket presence as well

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remain intrigued by Mettenberger, too, but just look at the evidence. He’s 6′ 5″, 230 lbs, has a huge arm, just finished with the 3rd highest YPA in the NCAA, had an almost 3-1 TD/INT ratio, played for a NFL coordinator, in the toughest conference in the game, and NO ONE thinks he’s a high pick. I don’t know what it is, but there’s clearly something wrong with him. Cam Newton came out with virtually the identical set of circumstances and everyone thought he was the #1 pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry, he has enough health and character questions to scare me away.  Personally, I’d pass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most analysts don’t have him in their top 5 QBs. Boggles my mind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s another reason you dont reach for a QB in this draft.  If you are truly interested yet not desperate there are so many to choose from that it would be fool hardy to select one early. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Besides the ACL, keep in mind:- he was kicked off of UGA's team- he has a sexual battery in his past- he doesn't move much (shrinks his market)- Commonly criticized as a poor and/or non-vocal leader - don't know if this is real or not but it's come up a lot.- Played in a pro offense, but one in which Cam Cameron had to simplify the routes for him. Here's a good analysis of him: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/3/4/5463494/browns-potential-draft-target-zach-mettenberger

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Oh yeah – some people think he’s got a mechanical flaw with his feet, that is hidden by his strong arm at the college level. Sounds  like something fixable though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah… I had forgotten he was a bulldawg…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would take him or Murray in the 3rd without question.  Rather have an immediate impact guy in the 1st and 2nd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you want Jacksonville to take Mettenberger with pick #39?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mettenberger is garbage. Terrible throwing motion, statute in the pocket and……..some of you think Manziel has off the field concerns, this guy has done much worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the only one who is ‘with you’ is 10lb.bass …. and that says something…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie said he wants speed even at QB . Mettenburger makes Glennon look like Michael Vick….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mettenberger is garbage. Terrible throwing motion, statute in the pocket and........some of you think Manziel has off the field concerns, this guy has done much worse.

What? OMG dude, you're crazy. His throwing motion is perfect and a statue in the pocket? The dude has the best pocket mobility of any QB on the board

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie said he wants speed even at QB . Mettenburger makes Glennon look like Michael Vick....

And that is a reason why Lovie got fired. Want speed at QB, what are you kidding me? What you want is a QB who can read, diagnose and deliver the football in a position to catch and run. Speed? Who gives a flying shit how fast the QB is. Speed is important for WR, RB but not QB. Vick is fast, Prior is fast, RGIII is fast but none of them are very good QB's because they can't throw the ball from the pocket consistently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mettenberger is garbage. Terrible throwing motion, statute in the pocket and........some of you think Manziel has off the field concerns, this guy has done much worse.

What? OMG dude, you're crazy. His throwing motion is perfect and a statue in the pocket? The dude has the best pocket mobility of any QB on the board

Yeah, he's quite mobile.  If you disagree you haven't watch a lick of his film.  His height (you know, the aspect of his game you have zero control over)  is solid so he can sit in the pocket and pick you a part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the only one who is 'with you' is 10lb.bass .... and that says something...

Yeah, it says he has an inkling about the game of football. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His throwing motion is better than it was before his senior year, but it’s still too enlongated to be described as “perfect”.  And the idea that he has the best pocket mobility of any QB on the board is JDub-Comparing-Donald-to-Freeney levels of crazy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His throwing motion is better than it was before his senior year, but it's still too enlongated to be described as "perfect".  And the idea that he has the best pocket mobility of any QB on the board is JDub-Comparing-Donald-to-Freeney levels of crazy.

i didnt say speed or scrambling. I said pocket mobility, his ability to move up and down or side to side in the pocket and it's amazing. It's Tom Brady-esque.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I’m pretty sure I said pocket mobility as well.  And I still think you’re nuts.  And getting more so with the Brady comparison.(Which is not to say that I disagree with you that his statue-like qualities can be overstated.  I agree with you on that.  But I really struggle with the idea of it being an elite trait of his.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mettenberger is Mike Glennon with an acl problem…no thanks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the only one who is 'with you' is 10lb.bass .... and that says something...

lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most analysts don't have him in their top 5 QBs. Boggles my mind.

it’s because you don’t have much of a mind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

…good one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Come redboard, who wants this guy at  #39 with me? Trade me down, pick up Beckum and then take Met in the 2nd!

I was with you until you said 2nd round. He is the rare mid round QB who I like but I am talking 4th or 5th round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is this with the hopes of him becoming the franchise stud for the next ten years?  Is that what you are telling me?  If so, I’m in!But most of us can't see that happening.  And Lovie said he wants athletes.  It makes me think Lovie secretly has a raging boner for Manziel...that kid is a slippery athlete with the guts to run a team.I think Manziel is going to be a stud.  250 yards, 60 yards rushing, 65 comp, 3 tds, 1 int type games.  I just see him being a serious offensive weapon.  What "IT" is is something nobody can define.  Exactly, anyhow.  But if there ever was a kid with "IT", it is John Manziel.  The guy sees the toughest around, and generally riddles them with his passes and stomps their hearts out with his legs.  Fun to watch, effective with the football, Great prospect.Bridgewater is an intriguing prospect as well.  Hate his rail thin quality, and his quiet demeanor...but the guy is a shredder in the pocket with the medium stuff.  Accurate.  I love that.Mettenberger almost reminds me of a unathletic Jake Locker.  I know...weird. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone loves Manziel but as of right now he isn’t close to a NFL passer. Watch his game tape. He completes very few passes over the middle with the exceptions of a three man rush. He is a one read QB or at best a half field QB. What he did in college was as  exciting as anything you’ll see but don’t fool yourself into thinking it’ll be as effective in the NFL. Read option is a gimick, scrambling is an emergency plan and only passing wins consistently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I said back before the Combine that is the Bucs drafted either Mettenberger or Murray that they would RedShirt them in year one. In 2015 then Glennon and the Rook would fight it out for the starting job with McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel will never be an NFL QB that has any long term success.  Wish for it all you want.  It will never happen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn’t the big question about Mettenberger his maturity/leadership? If so no thanks… plus he’s immobile. That’s a pretty clear requirement for Lovie and Tedford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't the big question about Mettenberger his maturity/leadership? If so no thanks... plus he's immobile. That's a pretty clear requirement for Lovie and Tedford.

He's definitely not immobile.  You've been watching the wrong guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s clearly immobile. Maybe not lead footed, but I don’t see the athleticism the new staffs looking for…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Besides the ACL, keep in mind:- he was kicked off of UGA's team- he has a sexual battery in his past- he doesn't move much (shrinks his market)- Commonly criticized as a poor and/or non-vocal leader - don't know if this is real or not but it's come up a lot.- Played in a pro offense, but one in which Cam Cameron had to simplify the routes for him. Here's a good analysis of him: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2014/3/4/5463494/browns-potential-draft-target-zach-mettenberger

Wow, you really showed your lack of knowledge with this post. I'm not a huge Zach fan but first yes he did leave Georgia after what many college kids do. He has not been in trouble since and Cameron did not simplify anything last year, he made better players out of Zach, Jarvis and Odell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn't the big question about Mettenberger his maturity/leadership? If so no thanks... plus he's immobile. That's a pretty clear requirement for Lovie and Tedford.

Does not seem like a Tedford type of QB. Bortles is the one QB that fits and meets the Parcels rule for QBs out of the top rated QBs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you're raving over an inkling of football knowledge?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mett has the measurable  but after watching him in the SEC the last few years I would stay away. Idk where you are getting your opinion that he has excellent pocket mobility from. That is completely false. Any time he faced a solid pass rush he was  rattled. Dude had probably the best offensive weapons in the country around him w hill, ODB and Landry and they contributed greatly to his #’s. He's a statue that is easily rattled. You could also see him visibly quit when he was being hit consistently. Maybe a guy I'd take late if we had Bill Obrien as our coach but seeing as we have tedford I'd much rather take a shot on Murray late.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Quit? When did he quit?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch his body language and demeanor in the 2nd half of the last two LSU v Alabama games. He folded when he he started getting hit.  He was yelling at teammates and missing open throws. Horrible looking on the sidelines and was basically ready for the game to be over. He routinely acted this way when he faced defenses that were able to get in his face.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Without into taking account the mental side though I’d have trouble drafting him because on film he is consistently inaccurate when defenses move him off his mark. With zero pressure he can pick you apart, but if anyone gets in his face he struggles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BucNY….didn’t you already start a thread about Mettenberger awhile back but somehow poke fun at me and claim he was my dream QB? Now he’s your dream QB? Wierd. As for my actual feelings on Mettenberger....I'm torn. There is a part of me that really likes a lot of what I see when I watch his games. I like his size and his arm and I like that he doesn't back down to pressure or let it affect him. I like that he is fearless and accurate for the most part.But then the part of me says this guy was more of a statue than Glennon BEFORE the ACL injury. Do I really want a QB with zero mobility? I also look at the pieces he had around him in OBJ, Landry, and Hill and I think how on Earth did this guy not dominate? Did he hold them back? Because with that supporting cast on offense and an outstanding defense, you'd think they would have been the most dominant team in college football and his stats would be out of this world....but those thing didn't happen. Perhaps it was his two 1st round talents at WR and his RB that might be the 1st RB taken in the draft that made him look better than he was. Finally I look at his two sexaul battery charges, that he did plead guilty to, and I say you know what.....I'll pass. The negatives outway the positives. Unless this guy falls to the late rounds and we wanna take a flyer in the 5th or something, I'd say no. Even in the 5th round I would take Keith Wenning over Mettenberger. As much as I like parts of his game, he just isn't worth it to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I did. That was back when we were arguing over Glennon and his Y/A average. I wanted to prove you wrong by hopefully finding the guy with a very high Y/A who was garbage. I thought that was Mettenberger, but after watching him I really do like his game. I do have similar concerns with you about all the talent he had around him and how relatively quiet he was all year.  The onl part where we disagree is his mobility. Surely he is slower than Glennon but from what I’ve seen he has very good pocket awareness and you can often see him shifting and moving up, down, left or right in the pocket.  I think that ability makes up for his speed or lack thereof.I will appologize for giving you crap over the y/a thing as it does look like one of the better predicters of QB ability, just so long it's not in a spread offense as i believe that inflats the number.

Please wait…

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.