Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 34 reply threads

• Author

• Bucco63

Participant

• BChaves8

Participant

It will be really tough to see him leave, but this man deserves every penny of whatever deal he will sign.

Elite pass rushers are hard to find so here’s to hoping the Bucs find a way to keep him in Tampa.

• RW

Participant

Every penny? Fine if there is no salary cap but there is so money is not unlimited. Khalil Mack makes $23.5 million per year and Aaron Donald makes $22.5 million per year if he wants close to their money I say let him walk. He is a very good player but he isn’t top 5 at his position in the NFL.

• m_j

Participant

he‘s gonna get his money here. let‘s see what jason can reveal in the podcast tonight

• buc_boi

Participant

Have faith y’all, believe In My uncle with all your souls.

• JC5100

Participant

Tag and trade. Get another 20 something EDGE on a 1 year prove it deal: Hassan Reddick, Leonard Floyd, Bud Dupree, Romeo Okwara. And draft another one.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

I honestly don’t think he’s going anywhere.

• ratiffshabang

Participant

I think financially, the Bucs have to choose between Godwin and Barrett. Barrett’s words and speculation on what Godwin can command on the market, doesn’t seem like we can keep both…. ultimately it becomes who do they bet on to perform at the higher level. Godwin has 1 1k yard season thus far, has had some minor injuries, and some issues with drops…but he’s a very good WR, who is still young and a big part of our offense. Personally, it seems to make more sense to let Brown go unless he’ll agree to a very small contract (we know his ego won’t agree to do that). We don’t need Antonio, Miller was really coming on and had a good repor with Brady, before we brought in Brown. Tyler Johnson had some big flashes, and didn’t look fazed in big situations.
      Shaq was incredible last season, and was good but not “elite” this season. Do the Bucs believe he can be a consistent 10 sack a year guy going forward? I think ultimately that’s what they’ll have to decide, bc he will def find someone to give him a huge contract. The problem is we don’t have anyone behind him that can play at that level. Next season will be another “all in” year with it being Brady’s final year of his current contract. We most likely can’t replace his production in this upcoming draft nor afford a FA that can replicate it. Also don’t believe releasing JPP would solve anything bc we need his production and leadership…plus he had a very good season. Can the Bucs count on Vea to stay healthy? Suh is another guy that would be very hard to replace. Suh (and JPP) bring an unmatched level of intensity, nastiness, motor, and veteran leadership.
      I’ll be super unpopular for this statement but, trying to trade OJ (or release although I honestly don’t know if we would take a big cap hit). He can’t stay healthy, and while he can make some big plays, he is super inconsistent. Obviously, Gronk’s decision to retire or come back would play into the decision. Brate is reliable and seem to get better and better with Brady as the season went on esp in the playoffs.
      Shady hopefully will not be back, and Fournette is a question mark as far as a contract goes. I believe Vaughn can develop into a solid/good #2 but don’t know if that’s next season or his 3rd year. Tough first season for him coming in off an injury from college, and no preseason…yet he showed flashes of good vision and not dancing in the backfield just hitting the lane and going. He def needs to work on his hands, but he was able to be affective in the receiving game at Vanderbilt.
      Lot of big decisions to make, esp if they want to make another big run. Licht did a good job assembling this roster to win a Superbowl, but can he find a way to keep the team intact? Hoping we don’t fall into the gutter like we did after the first Superbowl

• Richie Cartman

Participant

Shaq gets a deal. Godwin gets the Tag. That’s how I see it.

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

Hes by far the biggest concern n priority for this team!!
      He may not have quite the eye popping sack totals but brings constant pressure. Warren Sapp had 7.5 sacks in 02’, not a true indication of his effect on the game.
      Sacks were down in general due to less holding calls n switching to pass happy fantasy football.

WR is the easiest spot to fill, and that’s the sad truth. You can devise many ways on offense to be effective . You can not replace an edge guy who drops in coverage a lot n has speed to make tackles as well.

Go look at Shaq’s tackles n sacks plus pressures. That whole package would be SORELY MISSED and we will not return to a SB without him.

• RW

Participant

No offense but Shaq can be replaced if he wants elite money. If you look at the analytics he was good this year not great. He played a lot better with Vea in the lineup. And he played great the last two games but was helped by facing backups at the offensive tackle position.
        I like him alot but sometimes guys price themselves out of the market.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

I value shaq more than I do godwin, and that’s based on the pass rush being so ultimately important, and the fact that no one receiver is worth elite money in a Brady offense. He spreads the ball around so much that the sum is much greater than the parts.

• Roy

Participant

The tag for Godwin is about $16 mil. Hardly a breath of fresh air for the cap. I think we need to use the threat of the tag to nail down Godwin to a long term deal. Evans has a lot of mileage, and Brown is a flake. You need to pay Godwin to be the #1 guy for the next four or five years.

Don’t get me wrong. Shaq is a hell of a player. But he one cog in a good defense. He gets the benefit of being on the same defense with Suh and Vea as well as the other guys like White and Davis. When Vea was out, the number of sacks tailed way off. Some sacks are coverage sacks. Some sacks are because the interior linemen are getting a good push. I hope Shaq gets to break the bank and gets to take home a nice chunk of change. But I don’t think the Bucs can afford it. They will have other mouths to feed in the future on that defense. Shaq gets the stats but is not a better player than other guys on that defense. He’s highly dependent upon those other players.

• RW

Participant

Actually Vea is the best player on the D followed by David. People have stars in their eyes because both Barrett and White shone in the Superbowl but you can’t ignore their whole season where they were inconsistent. It’s great they showed up when it counted but so did Gronk and I am sure he is taking a big pay cut.

• JC5100

Participant

Marcus Jones, Ray Edwards, Albert Haynesworth, Michael Johnson, Demarcus Lawrence all had this same pattern and were horrible long term contracts.

• BucsBay

Participant

Tag him again, and trade him if you have to.

• mjs020294

Participant

Best thing for the cap over the next couple of years is get them both signed up on long them deals with good signing bonuses. The Bucs need to keep this group together, success breeds more success. The Bucs need to get creative with restructuring and create a little more cap space.

Even if we lose a FA or two there are plenty of teams in cap hell so there will not be tons of teams throwing cash around and there will be a few teams making cuts.

• Roy

Participant

Shaq’s tag would be about $19 mil, and he may be upset about getting tagged again. Its time for Shaq to get his money, and it may not be the Bucs who pay him.

The Bucs can draft one of the top edge rushers at 32 and pay them relative peanuts. In a year or two’s time that player will probably be as good as Shaq.

Possible pick at 32 Joseph Ossai Edge TX. The end of the 1st round looks to be a good spot to get an edge player this year. According to Draft Network they have Edge players rated. 26 Ossai, 28 Rousseau, Phillips 29, Ojulari 32.

Godwin’s tag will be about $16 mil, and hopefully you can work out a long term deal after you announce the tag.

If you let Godwin walk and spend that 32nd pick on a WR that player may never be as good as Godwin. Draft Network has Rondale Moore as the 36th rated player and 7th rated WR. Before that you are looking at Toney at 24 the 6th best. You can expect a lot of WRs to go off the board before the Bucs pick.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Roy.

• Mic

Participant

He’s expecting 20m that is definitely gonna force us to lose an extra guy or two. If it’s him that’s gone the whole roster stays intact. 15m won’t be too bad but 20m hurts

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Mic.

• Barnz1

Participant

The defense powered this team, especially in the playoffs. lol @ people saying let’s draft Shaq’s replacement. Well for one that player won’t be half as good. Two, this team is a win now window. If you lose a Shaq quality player off the dline then watch the pressures drop and QB completions for the opposition go up.

People really want to go into next year with a going on 33 year old JPP who couldn’t practice all year due to degenerative knee injuries that will keep getting worse + an unproven kid off the edge who won’t even be a top 5-10 pick, he will be pick 32? That’s crazy. I hope Licht isn’t that dumb. The dline desperately needs a young athletic kid for depth and to develop behind these guys even BEFORE losing Shaq.

There are creative things they can do with backloading contracts or restructuring guys. If you want to repeat you keep Shaq. It’s that simple.

• Mic

Participant

Great point to keep him 16m a year was high last year now it’s 20 strange to see him perform less and make 25% more he would of made last year.

Let’s hope break the bank is 16m he was looking at last year with a bigger salary cap

• FsstNfurios

Participant

We lucked into finding arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL the last 2 years…

Do people like JC forget how ABYSMAL our pass rush was for over a decade and a half? Saying we can replace or even partially replace him with a rookie or another FA in one off-season is hysterical. Building a legit pass rush is one of the hardest things to do & often takes years & years.

Shaq is the pass rusher we’ve been dreaming of since Simeon and people like JC are cool with letting him walk? Lol

• JC5100

Participant

Two things…

1. It wasn’t luck. They found a young player with good pass rush traits and gave him 1 year prove it deal in a good system. Then did it again with the franchise tag.

2. You are either are not understanding or just ignoring the disparity between non-contract year and contract year production. When a player has outliers in sack numbers in contract years they always revert back to non-contract year production when they get paid. Bucs were burned by this with Marcus Jones and Michael Johnson and almost with Haynesworth. Cowboys made the mistake of not trading Lawrence two years ago and are now stuck with a $25M cap number for a player who has 11 sacks the last two years combined.

Bucs can sign one of these under the radar EDGEs to 1 year deal, let them play for a big contract, and draft another one with the compensation they get from Barrett.

• RW

Participant

Best pass rusher in the last 2 years? Come on.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Shaq will be back.

No question. I’ll be quite upset if they let him walk. Should he make 20+mil? Probably.

If he wants to win again he’ll be a team guy he’ll settle for 13-15 mil. Dont give him more then 3 or 4 years either. 5+ would be a mistake.

• CyberDilemma

Participant

If you lose Shaq and the constant pressure he brings on the QB, that will expose the secondary which is already the weak link of the defense…..improving but still the weak link.

• seekpar

Participant

For some good players, many more millions is most important. For some other good players, a few less millions and another ring are most important. Let’s hope Shaq falls into the second category. And Godwin too.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Sign Shaq to a 4 year $76 million deal, with $40 million guaranteed in the first 2 years. He’d be in the top 5 earners at EDGE. Work the contract with huge bonuses and small base salaries to keep his cap number in line.

Quite frankly, he’s earned it.. if Vea was playing all year pushing the pocket backwards, Shaq would have finished with 13-14 sacks this season. Look at his pressures.. second only to Donald.

We’d be absolute fools to let him go, we found a needle in a haystack. He’s 28 years old, there’s no reason he cannot produce at a high level for another 2 seasons, and by the time he’s 31 his contract will be relatively affordable if he’s still producing.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Bucs can sign one of these under the radar EDGEs to 1 year deal, let them play for a big contract

Boy, that sounds swell – and fairly easy. Are any of these guys going to drop a lot of sacks and pressures next season?

• JC5100

Participant

Paid Barrett will not produce like 2019 and 2020 playing for a contract Barrett. Here’s an idea. Take advantage of Urban Meyer and tag and trade Barrett in a deal for Josh Allen. You get Barrett’s replacement at $2.6M and $3.6M the next two years.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Why in the world would Urban take that deal?

• JC5100

Participant

Why in the world did Urban not offer Antoine Winfield Jr?

Why in the world did Urban hire Chris Doyle?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

So, essentially, you’re admitting that Urban wouldn