Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 61 reply threads

• Author

• JoshMcCrownUs

Participant

This guy’s probs aren’t nearly as bad as Hardy’s and Gallette’s and they got second chances on other teams. I’d take Aldon over both of those in a heart beat in any case. So why have we not signed this guy to a similar type of pay-for-play, prove it deal that those other two bums got? We have the cap space, the dire need for an edge pass rusher, phisically he is literally the prototype of what we need in a RE. He’s gonna get a shot at a new beginning somewhere, so why not here? Do it L&L. Do it NOW.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is facing multiple CRIMINIAL charges.Not happening.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he may be facing a year suspension so he may be good for next year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That dude is a SERIOUS head case…he may never play in the league again…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes but it's not really any different then what Hardy was facing, and we went hard for him.Structure the contract like Hardy's so that it's all roster bonuses and he only gets paid for the games he's active for (i.e. not suspended).Don't make a big deal / press conference about it, but throw out a press release that we believe in second chances and Smith is on a short leash bla bla. Again Dallas and Washington did it with player's with just as bad if not worse (imo) history's, and under a much larger microscope, and their flack has been minimal at most.Like I said L&L. Get er dun.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won’t even be eligible to play until 2016.This thread makes zero sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This guy's probs aren't nearly as bad as Hardy's and Gallette's and they got second chances on other teams. I'd take Aldon over both of those in a heart beat in any case. So why have we not signed this guy to a similar type of pay-for-play, prove it deal that those other two bums got? We have the cap space, the dire need for an edge pass rusher, phisically he is literally the prototype of what we need in a RE. He's gonna get a shot at a new beginning somewhere, so why not here? Do it L&L. Do it NOW.

You lost me right there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He won't even be eligible to play until 2016.This thread makes zero sense.

Link?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This guy's probs aren't nearly as bad as Hardy's and Gallette's and they got second chances on other teams. I'd take Aldon over both of those in a heart beat in any case. So why have we not signed this guy to a similar type of pay-for-play, prove it deal that those other two bums got? We have the cap space, the dire need for an edge pass rusher, phisically he is literally the prototype of what we need in a RE. He's gonna get a shot at a new beginning somewhere, so why not here? Do it L&L. Do it NOW.

You lost me right there.

I mean, do you find his history more apalling than Hardy's or Gallete's? Perhaps I did understate it in my OP, but my point remains: if they were willing to go after Hardy, why not Smith?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You lost me right there.

I mean, do you find his history more apalling than Hardy's or Gallete's? Perhaps I did understate it in my OP, but my point remains: if they were willing to go after Hardy, why not Smith?

Yea i do find his history more apalling. This dude has put him self in situations to get killed or kill someone a good amount of times. He's not even smart enough to take advantage of the FREE service the league provides. Plus his problem is one that he doesn't seem to want to get rid of.Great talent but I'll pass on that kind of genius.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude is about to be suspended for a year or two. That’s why

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You lost me right there.

Yea i do find his history more apalling. This dude has put him self in situations to get killed or kill someone a good amount of times. He's not even smart enough to take advantage of the FREE service the league provides. Plus his problem is one that he doesn't seem to want to get rid of.Great talent but I'll pass on that kind of genius.

Fine I can respect your opinion. However I respectfully disagree that his problems are materially worse than those of a dude who tried to choke his girlfriend and threw her on a bed with a bunch of assault rifles.There are ways to protect yourself as a franchise (Hardy contract) and I am of the belief that our team's culture could handle it. We have the coaches, we have the leaders on D. Worst comes worse we cut him and move on just like the Bears did with McDonald, where so far the sky is not falling for having given a player  second chance and it blowing up in their face. You cut him, you move on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude is about to be suspended for a year or two. That's why

Again link? I know theres been speculation and there is a chance it could happen, but he could also get in the range of a 10 game suspension like Hardy, and six games with a guy of his physical attributes is better than none. Also guess what happens if he does get suspended for the year and his salary is in the form of mostly roster bonuses? He gets next to nothing, so we end up paying next to nothing. Again where is the downside if you feel your team's culture can handle it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one in their right mind is going to give him a contract until his legal issues are resolved.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy is dumb. Lets say by some sort of miracle this recent DUI charge vanishes. We all get the MIB flashy deal and forget. How long do you think it would be until he did something incredibly retarded again and wound up suspended anyways? My money would be on sooner rather than later. It’s not a matter of if he’ll act like an idiot. It’s when will he act like an idiot?MIB.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again link? I know theres been speculation and there is a chance it could happen, but he could also get in the range of a 10 game suspension like Hardy, and six games with a guy of his physical attributes is better than none. Also guess what happens if he does get suspended for the year and his salary is in the form of mostly roster bonuses? He gets next to nothing, so we end up paying next to nothing. Again where is the downside if you feel your team's culture can handle it?

What? He just came off a 9 game suspension, and we know that Comrade Goodell loves doling out lengthy suspensions for behavior like this. I fully expect it to be a season long suspension, and wouldn’t be surprised at all if he suspends Smith indefinitely in order to wait for the legal process to play out. There’s NO way he gets 10 games again, AFTER coming off 9 game suspension for his last offense. This is the third time Aldon has made the national headlines, he is outta here. Probably won’t be playing in the NFL ever again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes but it's not really any different then what Hardy was facing, and we went hard for him.

Except for the fact that Hardy's potential criminal charges had already been resolved, so the only question with him was how many games he would be suspended.  With Smith, we don't even know if he will be a free man this year much less suspended.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is stupid.  You need a link?  How about you use your brain for five seconds?Our culture sucks.  This thread sucks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What? He just came off a 9 game suspension, and we know that Comrade Goodell loves doling out lengthy suspensions for behavior like this. I fully expect it to be a season long suspension, and wouldn't be surprised at all if he suspends Smith indefinitely in order to wait for the legal process to play out. There's NO way he gets 10 games again, AFTER coming off 9 game suspension for his last offense. This is the third time Aldon has made the national headlines, he is outta here. Probably won't be playing in the NFL ever again.

So you don't forsee any scenario where he could plead down to a lesser offense, thereby potentially lessening the suspension that I agree is certainly coming his way. You also type in absolutes that I don't believe are merited at this point. Yes I understand Goodell has come down hard before on many a player, but each overturning by an arbitrator I believe has diminished his ability to do so w/o considerable backlash. My point is as sure as you and many others feel about this outcome, nothing has been written yet and I'm willing to bet that at least some of you wouldn't be utterly shocked if Aldon ends up getting treated more like a victim of mental health/susbstance abuse in  need of help than a criminal who should be cast to the side. Are you telling me stranger, and I mean much stranger things haven't happened?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d be much more in favor of Smith than the other two guys but there’s reason he’s not on this or any team yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t even trying to get on a team until some of the latest incident is cleared up so he has a little more leverage in negotiating. As far as from the team perspective, Smith has an issue that makes him unreliable and puts the team constantly at risk that a guy that they are counting on could go get drunk again and get himself suspended. With the other two, I can see teams being convinced that they were situational incidents that are in their past as opposed to a recurring problem that the player hasn't or can't beat.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL doesn’t care what he pleads down to. He’s a reprat offender regardless. He’ll get a year at the least. Maybe a ban from the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is stupid.  You need a link?  How about you use your brain for five seconds?Our culture sucks.  This thread sucks.

I believe that is what I'm asking you to do, but to each his own.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyways no need for yall to get your panties ina bunch, just thought this was a discussion at least worth having given our desperate situation at DE. Btw could I borrow one of those crystal balls when you guys are done with them? Would definitely put it to good use with some of the things I've been mulling recently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The sun will rise tomorrow in the East.  Smith will get a year minimum.Follow the logic.  You don't need a link or a crystal ball....just some common sense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL doesn't care what he pleads down to. He's a reprat offender regardless. He'll get a year at the least. Maybe a ban from the league.

i think he ends up in suspension limbo like Justin Blackmon. likely never gets another chance. he will probably do something else stupid while suspended anyway

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lmao this thread is a complete joke. There is a reason the 49ers cut him when he was arrested again even though they have basically lost their whole defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyways no need for yall to get your panties ina bunch, just thought this was a discussion at least worth having given our desperate situation at DE. Btw could I borrow one of those crystal balls when you guys are done with them? Would definitely put it to good use with some of the things I've been mulling recently.

Crystal ball? Dude, just admit you asked a dumb question. There is not a single person in this thread that even came close to agreeing with you. Just eat it and move on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith did get a second chance.  I believe that he's on his 4th or 5th chance now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Crystal ball? Dude, just admit you asked a dumb question. There is not a single person in this thread that even came close to agreeing with you. Just eat it and move on.

I can take the heat. We'll see what happens ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Link?

Per your request, here is a link to the NFL Personal Conduct Policy.https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdfAny other questions?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont know if signing him is what should happen right now, but id certainly be reaching out to him.  we got jack smith who can vouch/not vouch for the guy.hes got 3 duis?  dumb and dangerous, but not the end of the world for me.  id bring him into the fold, put the Bucs PR team on his case, throw him the carrot of what type of contract we are gonna give him if he walks the straight and narrow, and then keep him the hell away from jameis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Link?

Per your request, here is a link to the NFL Personal Conduct Policy.https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdfAny other questions?

Yea pretty much the same ones I had at the beginning.Look for the record I understand that his stuff hasn't been resolved yet and that represents a real impediment to his being signed. I just hope we are positioning ourselves to grab him quickly if/when those obstacles were to be rsesolved.So blame me for hyperbolizing the thread title, but don't burn me at the stake for being positively frightened by what I saw out of or edge rush on Saturday. Desperate times. /rant

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont know if signing him is what should happen right now, but id certainly be reaching out to him.  we got jack smith who can vouch/not vouch for the guy.hes got 3 duis?  dumb and dangerous, but not the end of the world for me.  id bring him into the fold, put the Bucs PR team on his case, throw him the carrot of what type of contract we are gonna give him if he walks the straight and narrow, and then keep him the hell away from jameis.

Get outta here with your logic! Can't you see im being properly lynched here?? /blue

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was sat down for 9 games last year and will likely get a longer suspension wherever he signs. Logic would look at next year at the earliest he plays.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Id rather have signed Greg Hardy TBH.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d rather see Freeney be brought in as a situational pass rusher, Smith can’t be trusted to stay out of trouble.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Great troll thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously. This “year long ban” is all just speculation until it happens. Yes he was suspended 9 games last year, but it was for two separate violations. Substance abuse and personal conduct, I believe. If the dui is thrown out, which any good lawyer should be able to persuade given that he wasn’t caught operating a vehicle (per the reports)…then he’d just be facing a personal conduct violation. It’s POSSIBLE that he could only get 10 games, and then appeal it down to less.That being said, there are a few teams that have already expressed interest and are doing their homework. I don't think it's crazy/stupid to suggest that the bucs better be among those teams

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do I think Aldon Smith is worse of a guy than Greg Hardy? I don’t know them, but I’d be willing to guess he’s probably not. DUIs are dangerous to the community and to the person; he’s been reckless with a gun; and shouting out bomb threats is just dumb. But to me they aren’t in the same league as Hardy’s issues. But there are a couple of problems here....- He's going to miss a substantial number of games. Let's just be realistic, it's probably 10. Hardy's got reduced but remember that that was a function of Goodell trying to impose post Ray-Rice punishment for something that occurred pre-Ray Rice. - His legal issues are in flux - he's not going to be arraigned until Oct. 6. Does the NFL wait, or does it punish him before? Remember, we saw with Tanard Jackson how slow the process can be. - The 49ers' actions and words suggest he's got serious problems. He's been to rehab at least once and it looks like it didn't take. I've heard the phrase "spiraling out of control" used. I think the Bucs should consider it, but I think they'd have to have a long-term plan in place and basically forget about 2015. Get to work on him fixing himself first.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Bucs should consider it, but I think they'd have to have a long-term plan in place and basically forget about 2015. Get to work on him fixing himself first.

of course.  the guy is 25 years old and produces.  who cares if he doesnt play for us till hes 27? 

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

I think the Bucs should consider it, but I think they'd have to have a long-term plan in place and basically forget about 2015. Get to work on him fixing himself first.

of course.  the guy is 25 years old and produces.  who cares if he doesnt play for us till hes 27?

Good point.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Some may be overestimating our locker room “culture”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seriously. This "year long ban" is all just speculation until it happens. Yes he was suspended 9 games last year, but it was for two separate violations. Substance abuse and personal conduct, I believe. If the dui is thrown out, which any good lawyer should be able to persuade given that he wasn't caught operating a vehicle (per the reports)...then he'd just be facing a personal conduct violation. It's POSSIBLE that he could only get 10 games, and then appeal it down to less.That being said, there are a few teams that have already expressed interest and are doing their homework. I don't think it's crazy/stupid to suggest that the bucs better be among those teams

Even if his DUI is thrown out, he'd still be on the hook under the substance abuse policy.  Ask Matt Prater, he got a 4 game ban for having a beer...at his house.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy is dumb. Lets say by some sort of miracle this recent DUI charge vanishes. We all get the MIB flashy deal and forget. How long do you think it would be until he did something incredibly retarded again and wound up suspended anyways? My money would be on sooner rather than later. It's not a matter of if he'll act like an idiot. It's when will he act like an idiot?MIB.jpg

I thought Talib was going to screw up again? Blah. Sign the guy until we draft his replacement.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Why sign him if he cant play? You are going to pay him for 2015 season to cool his heels at the crib? Even league minimum would be a waste.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why sign him if he cant play? You are going to pay him for 2015 season to cool his heels at the crib? Even league minimum would be a waste.

cmon, league minimum wouldnt be a waste.  how much would that be?now if they had to tie up a roster spot, that might be a waste.  but im sure they could get him on a deactivated or nonfootball roster list.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

cmon, league minimum wouldnt be a waste.  how much would that be?now if they had to tie up a roster spot, that might be a waste.  but im sure they could get him on a deactivated or nonfootball roster list.

And he is going to agree to that? Why bother, when he gets everything straightened out, assuming he does. He could hit the lottery.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He likely won’t accept the league minimum.  But that doesn’t preclude the team from offering a contract he would accept…that is also team friendly.  Much like the cowboys were able to do with Hardy, where he didn’t receive money for any games he was suspended for.Aldon seems like just the kind of guy Lovie would take on as a reclamation project, as a person.  Getting him to play for us at the same time would be gravy!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And he is going to agree to that? Why bother, when he gets everything straightened out, assuming he does. He could hit the lottery.

agree to what?  the minimum for a season he is suspended for?  im not sure, not really my idea, i was just saying id be completely down with paying him that amount to get him in the building.it would be similar imo to wasting a 7th on lael collins.  it doesnt guarantee that its gonna work out.  but it gives us a heads up in the competition.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree to what?  the minimum for a season he is suspended for?  im not sure, not really my idea, i was just saying id be completely down with paying him that amount to get him in the building.it would be similar imo to wasting a 7th on lael collins.  it doesnt guarantee that its gonna work out.  but it gives us a heads up in the competition.

Coincidentally also a move I'm on the record on this board advocating for.Wasn't Licht the one that said no risk it no buscuit?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Heard on a podcast this week.  4 players in the history of the NFL (or atleast since they kept the sacks stat) have registered more sacks in their first 4 years in the league than Aldon Smith.  Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, Derrick Thomas and JJ Watt.  I know I’d really like a talent like that on my team.  LT also blows Smith out of the water in terms of legal trouble and partying as well, but hey nobody cared about that stuff back then.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lets sign DE/LB Smith and G Mathis.  We have no pass rush and G Marpet just can’t make the transition from division three to pro bowl caliber…..after one half preseason game.  Shit, lets go full retard and sign TE Hernendez after we release TE ASJ, and also lets trade away QBs Winston and Glennon for QBs Tebow and Vick.  Winston sucked after his first preseason game and is not pro bowl ready. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s a lot more to the story half of it will be swept under the rug and Colin capernik is the reason and he failed the sobriety test be cause he was raging how would you feel if your fiancé or ex fiancé that was still living with you was sleeping with your qb you would probably kick his rump trash his Benz and nerves would probably be so bad that you couldn’t do simple multiplication or addition yet alone do some sobriety test the kid has talent and problems who knows what will happen but talent wise I’d love to see him sacking cam Bree’s and Ryan we need to make a trade or something we need a true pass rushing de

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone who keeps saying sign him to a league minimum contract, please get a clue. That simply won’t happen. Smith won’t sign such a contract, at least no time soon.  Why should he?  All he as to do is wait it out.  If he is banned from the league forever, he doesn’t lose anything by not signing as he wouldn’t get paid a cent anyways.  But if he can work it out, get things reduced then shop his talents, I’m sure he would get much more than the yearly league minimum from a desperate team, like Hardy did from Dallas.  There is zero advantage to Smith to obligate himself to any team at this time especially at league minimum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone who keeps saying sign him to a league minimum contract, please get a clue. That simply won't happen. Smith won't sign such a contract, at least no time soon.  Why should he?  All he as to do is wait it out.  If he is banned from the league forever, he doesn't lose anything by not signing as he wouldn't get paid a cent anyways.  But if he can work it out, get things reduced then shop his talents, I'm sure he would get much more than the yearly league minimum from a desperate team, like Hardy did from Dallas.  There is zero advantage to Smith to obligate himself to any team at this time especially at league minimum.

i think you are taking ideas and putting too much stock into them.  at the same time, smith cant start his (assumed) suspension until he signs with a team, right?  start relations with him is what im saying.  if thats sign and stash somehow, sure.  if its paying him to stay home fine.  get a headstart so when he does get his league stuff figured out, we arent trying to outbid current SB contenders, or franchises with storied histories.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone who keeps saying sign him to a league minimum contract, please get a clue. That simply won't happen. Smith won't sign such a contract, at least no time soon.  Why should he?  All he as to do is wait it out.  If he is banned from the league forever, he doesn't lose anything by not signing as he wouldn't get paid a cent anyways.  But if he can work it out, get things reduced then shop his talents, I'm sure he would get much more than the yearly league minimum from a desperate team, like Hardy did from Dallas.  There is zero advantage to Smith to obligate himself to any team at this time especially at league minimum.

i think you are taking ideas and putting too much stock into them.  at the same time, smith cant start his (assumed) suspension until he signs with a team, right?  start relations with him is what im saying.  if thats sign and stash somehow, sure.  if its paying him to stay home fine.  get a headstart so when he does get his league stuff figured out, we arent trying to outbid current SB contenders, or franchises with storied histories.

I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes sense from the team standpoint.  But it makes zeros sense from Smiths stand point.  What does Smith have to gain from it? What is Smith's motivation to sign and stash?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I understand exactly what you are saying and it makes sense from the team standpoint.  But it makes zeros sense from Smiths stand point.  What does Smith have to gain from it? What is Smith's motivation to sign and stash?

i dont believe he can serve a suspension until he is on a team.  dallas did it right with hardy.  no money for games not played, big money for beign active.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree that a minimum salary is unlikely, but the motivation to "sign and stash" is that he can't play (make money) until he serves his suspension. And his suspension doesn't start until he's signed. Realistically, he's stashed by suspension. My whole point was to counter this idea the OP had that we need a pass-rusher now and he's the pass-rusher. Reality is that he's likely to serve the vast majority of the season on suspension, so from a team standpoint this deal is done for 2016, not 2015.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree that a minimum salary is unlikely, but the motivation to "sign and stash" is that he can't play (make money) until he serves his suspension. And his suspension doesn't start until he's signed. Realistically, he's stashed by suspension. My whole point was to counter this idea the OP had that we need a pass-rusher now and he's the pass-rusher. Reality is that he's likely to serve the vast majority of the season on suspension, so from a team standpoint this deal is done for 2016, not 2015.

To be clear I did not state at any moment that I expected him to be available as soon as we sign him, so if you read that in my OP then that was simply misconstrued.Now, look no further than GTs posts if you want to understand how I feel about the situation. He's done a much better job than me at correctly steering this discussion in the direction it should go. We are not looking for immediate results, simply recognizing a problem and providing potential solutions that, for a relative low investment now, could grow eventually into a bonafide solution to our edge rush problem. There are no guarantees with anything. However if you don't start moving your pieces now you'll always be behind the ball on these types of things.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fair enough, I just assumed based on the fact that you used the term “dire need.”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea I defnititely could have chosen my words more carefully.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone who keeps saying sign him to a league minimum contract, please get a clue. That simply won't happen. Smith won't sign such a contract, at least no time soon.

But..But we do it on Madden all the time...

Please wait…

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.