Viewing 39 reply threads

• Author

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I have watched this game before and so I went back to watch it again and see how Sheldon Rankins (DL Louisville) was playing. I now dislike him so much that I would probably not consider drafting him at all. I broke down the first 40 plays below. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sheldon-rankins?id=2555242HT: 6'1" WT: 299LBS.POSITION: DTSCHOOL: LouisvilleARM LENGTH: 33 3/8"HANDS: 9 3/8"40 YARD DASH: 5.03 SECBENCH PRESS: 28 REPSVERTICAL JUMP: 34.5 INCHBROAD JUMP: 118.0 INCH3 CONE DRILL: 7.44 SEC20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.59 SEChttp://draftbreakdown.com/video/sheldon-rankins-vs-texas-am-2015/The Good- 1 TFL in first half- 2 tackle assists in first half- Shows explosive burst when pursuing the ball carrier.- Has good size- Showed good arm extension at times- Showed ability to disengage from blockers- Good speed for his size when chasing the ball carrierThe Bad- Zero QB pressures or sacks in first half- Slow out of his stance- Not very instinctive in reading the play.- Doesn't have good recognition. Often rushes inside as ball is going outside and vice versa- Not able to set the edge as 5 tech on numerous occasions.- Appears to be out of shape as explosive plays are limited- Often the last rusher up the field.- Not enough power for effective bull rush- Not enough speed to bend the edge- Sometimes did not disengage soon enough to make the play.- Seemed content to miss out on plays he could have made with a little more hustle. - He looks like he is lazy, or trying to avoid plays.- Does not have a high motor on every play.- Despite good size looks pudgy and weak against strong competition.Game breakdown - First 40 plays40 plays2 Tackle assists1 TFL0 QB Pressures or sacks5 wins15 neutral plays20 losing effortsOverallHe could have better results with much less repetitions. He played nearly 40 plays in the first half alone and he looked tired. I think his best position may be as a 3-4 DE who can 2 gap and eat up space. That is his best trait. This is a player that the more I watch closely the more I dislike for his lack of consistent effort.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Almost feel like he is mocked because the Bucs drafted Evans over Aaron Donald – trying to make up for that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do not want.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Most of Rankins’ recent fan fare is from how he dominated at the Senior Bowl. He won almost every single one on one battle all week in practice and in the game as well.The perception coming out of the Senior Bowl is that he was misused at Louisville, and will be a stud in the pros as a 1-gap penetrating DT.You also have to understand what his coaches were asking him to do at Louisville, and the fact that he never really got to focus on one position and get good at it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of Rankins' recent fan fare is from how he dominated at the Senior Bowl. He won almost every single one on one battle all week in practice and in the game as well.The perception coming out of the Senior Bowl is that he was misused at Louisville, and will be a stud in the pros as a 1-gap penetrating DT.You also have to understand what his coaches were asking him to do at Louisville, and the fact that he never really got to focus on one position and get good at it.

Louisville fan?

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Most of Rankins' recent fan fare is from how he dominated at the Senior Bowl. He won almost every single one on one battle all week in practice and in the game as well.The perception coming out of the Senior Bowl is that he was misused at Louisville, and will be a stud in the pros as a 1-gap penetrating DT.You also have to understand what his coaches were asking him to do at Louisville, and the fact that he never really got to focus on one position and get good at it.

Louisville fan?

Are you saying he didn't dominate at the senior bowl?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Louisville fan?

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Louisville fan?

Nope. FSU fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rankin did look good on the one-on-ones before the senior bowl.My concern is that I think the larger, stronger Guards in the NFL will neutralize him.I much prefer Vernon Butler---truly a big man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Odd that these college coaches don’t know how to properly use 1st round picks like Ramsey, rankins, and Floyd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Odd that these college coaches don't know how to properly use 1st round picks like Ramsey, rankins, and Floyd.

I wouldn't put it that way. Different games, different goals. The whole process of acquisition means you are likely to have a lot of square pegs forced into round holes. You also can "out athlete" teams, so just getting Floyd for example, on the field somewhere can cause other teams problems. Plus practice constraints in college tend toward simplifying things - system will often stay pretty constant.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of Rankins' recent fan fare is from how he dominated at the Senior Bowl. He won almost every single one on one battle all week in practice and in the game as well.

He was good in those practices going against some weak linemen. Maybe one late rounder out of that entire bunch. What exactly does that prove? Germain Ifedi of A&M owned him.

The perception coming out of the Senior Bowl is that he was misused at Louisville, and will be a stud in the pros as a 1-gap penetrating DT.

That is an interesting conclusion to draw. I don't see how his slow get off, marginal strength and lack of effective hand usage is going to enable that to happen.

You also have to understand what his coaches were asking him to do at Louisville, and the fact that he never really got to focus on one position and get good at it.

He was 2 gapping a lot but when given 1-1 opportunities to rush the passer against good competition he was a complete failure.Bottom line: He dominated weak players in practice. He was playing with a sense of urgency knowing he had to impress the scouts. Plug in game tape and he looks like a big, fat loafer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We certainly see things differently. Rankins is one of  the safest dlineman in the draft. Throw on the FSU tape to see him on fire. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/sheldon-rankins-vs-florida-state-2015/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We certainly see things differently. Rankins is one of  the safest dlineman in the draft. Throw on the FSU tape to see him on fire. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/sheldon-rankins-vs-florida-state-2015/

He is still only winning at a 25% pace in that game. He gets a couple of good rushes on the LG, who is God awful. I guess I just need to set the bar much lower and then I will love him. 1 tackle assist in the 1st half. That is on fire? All I know is that Aaron Donald wins 75% of the time. Rankins wins 25% of the time. I'm not a genius but my math is pretty good.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

He is still only winning at a 25% pace in that game. He gets a couple of good rushes on the LG, who is God awful. I guess I just need to set the bar much lower and then I will love him. 1 tackle assist in the 1st half. That is on fire? All I know is that Aaron Donald wins 75% of the time. Rankins wins 25% of the time. I'm not a genius but my math is pretty good.

you know who had just OK tape and a great Senior Bowl? ... Donovan Smith among others... what were your thoughts on him going into the draft last year?I would be willing to bet that Rankins becomes a successful 1-Gap penetrating DT within his first two years, and by the end of year 3, he's pushing for about 8 sacks a year.it's funny how 2 people can look at the same thing and draw vastly different conclusions...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Outside of Rod Johnson the LT, the FSU OL was average at the very best. below average most of the time. not the highest of bars to set

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well we know he was often asked to 2 gap…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesn’t really matter, as it looks like for some reason, like we’re gonna take Hargreaves, even though he’s short and not very fast. I hope i’m wrong.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you know who had just OK tape and a great Senior Bowl? ... Donovan Smith among others... what were your thoughts on him going into the draft last year?I would be willing to bet that Rankins becomes a successful 1-Gap penetrating DT within his first two years, and by the end of year 3, he's pushing for about 8 sacks a year.it's funny how 2 people can look at the same thing and draw vastly different conclusions...

Personally I thought DSmith had great film. He dominated at the college level. The only question was if he had quick enough feet to play LT and there were rumours about his work ethic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have watched all of the Senior Bowl reps I could find. Rankins had some good and bad reps. Jack Allen stonewalled him. The only DT who was consistently unblockable was Vernon Butler.Also Rankins also did not play in the Senior Bowl. He only participated in practice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m with you on this guy. The fact PR had him mocked in the top 10 for us is laughable. This dude is not even CLOSE to a top 10 prospect. Like, he is barley a first round prospect as is. And the film on him is quite underwhelming. All I see is hustle, power, and help by Louisville coverage. I would be irate if we picked this kid anywhere near the first 15 picks of the draft. He doesn’t have elite quickness, doesn’t have elite power, WTF is the PR smoking thinking we’d take him at 9.If you draft a DT in the first round he either excels at one thing very well, or everything and in that case those prospects go top 5. Drafting a "jack of all trades" type DT is cool in round 2 or 3. Top 10? No thanks.I'm more impressed with Billings to be honest. I think he is a better fit next to McCoy moreso than this Rankins kid. But again, Billings was inconsistent at Baylor next to Shawn Oakman last year so I'm not fond on using a top 10 pick. Trade down option possibly, depending on who's on board. But back to Rankins, he is a no for me all the way through. Round 2, I'll be more than welcome to bring him in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was watching the practices he allegedly was unblockale in and he was winning about 50% of the time in the 1-1 drills. Tretola with his 30″ alligator arms stuffed him.Mike Mayock could be heard saying "Rankins is a borderline 1st round player". Meaning he is on the outside of round 1 trying to get in. Not top-10.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was watching the practices he allegedly was unblockale in and he was winning about 50% of the time in the 1-1 drills. Tretola with his 30" alligator arms stuffed him.Mike Mayock could be heard saying "Rankins is a borderline 1st round player". Meaning he is on the outside of round 1 trying to get in. Not top-10.

Don't know how you could watch the Senior Bowl practice and not be really impressed. He was whipping dudes with a variety of moves: straight bull rush, one arm bull, rip, and an awesome swim (who does that as a DT ?).  You used Aaron Donald as an example and I completely agree that he is not like Donald. Donald has a crazy first step that is unlike anything ever at DT. Rankins has a good but not great first step, but as some writers have mentioned, he has a great second step. He attacks off the second step whether it's with power or an agile move. Kawann Short and Geno Atkins attack off their second step. Like Atkins, Rankins lack of height is a strength since he is always the low man and gets under linemen. He'd be a great fit next to G-Mac as he's a pure gap shooter, while Rankins will engage olinemen and be the second wave.Also, spare me Mayock's opinion, I'd put more stock into yours at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to change the subject but I like Tretola.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

I could point out games where ANY prospect didn’t live up to his hype, ANy, hell I can post games of GMC wetting the bed, Jameis wetting the bed, Lavonte David, on and on and onnnnnnnnit happens

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was watching the practices he allegedly was unblockale in and he was winning about 50% of the time in the 1-1 drills. Tretola with his 30" alligator arms stuffed him.Mike Mayock could be heard saying "Rankins is a borderline 1st round player". Meaning he is on the outside of round 1 trying to get in. Not top-10.

Don't know how you could watch the Senior Bowl practice and not be really impressed. He was whipping dudes with a variety of moves: straight bull rush, one arm bull, rip, and an awesome swim (who does that as a DT ?).  You used Aaron Donald as an example and I completely agree that he is not like Donald. Donald has a crazy first step that is unlike anything ever at DT. Rankins has a good but not great first step, but as some writers have mentioned, he has a great second step. He attacks off the second step whether it's with power or an agile move. Kawann Short and Geno Atkins attack off their second step. Like Atkins, Rankins lack of height is a strength since he is always the low man and gets under linemen. He'd be a great fit next to G-Mac as he's a pure gap shooter, while Rankins will engage olinemen and be the second wave.Also, spare me Mayock's opinion, I'd put more stock into yours at this point.

I think he is strictly a 3-4 DE that can 2 gap and eat up blockers. He needs to get stronger no matter what position he plays. I just don't see a 3 technique with him. He is always the last guy up the field. Not enough functional strength to play nose tackle.We will have to agree to disagree about Rankins. He does not impress me.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

spot on

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could point out games where ANY prospect didn't live up to his hype, ANy, hell I can post games of GMC wetting the bed, Jameis wetting the bed, Lavonte David, on and on and onnnnnnnnit happens

This is not about one bad game. It's about a player who only wins 25% of the time and people are mocking to us at No.9. It's about a guy who supposedly " dominated" the Senior Bowl who actually was only winning 50% of the time and was not overly impressive.I have no idea where or why there is so much smoke being generated about Rankins but I am not buying it. It's like all the clueless talking heads heard Mayock say he was a borderline 1st rounder so they started mocking him to the Bucs at No.9.This whole Sheldon Rankins hype machine is a joke. The kid looks lazy and I will laugh when he signs that rookie deal and becomes fat because his number one trait on the field is lazy.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

I could point out games where ANY prospect didn't live up to his hype, ANy, hell I can post games of GMC wetting the bed, Jameis wetting the bed, Lavonte David, on and on and onnnnnnnnit happens

This is not about one bad game. It's about a player who only wins 25% of the time and people are mocking to us at No.9. It's about a guy who supposedly " dominated" the Senior Bowl who actually was only winning 50% of the time and was not overly impressive.I have no idea where or why there is so much smoke being generated about Rankins but I am not buying it. It's like all the clueless talking heads heard Mayock say he was a borderline 1st rounder so they started mocking him to the Bucs at No.9.This whole Sheldon Rankins hype machine is a joke. The kid looks lazy and I will laugh when he signs that rookie deal and becomes fat because his number one trait on the field is lazy.

do yourself a favor and STOP putting so much stock in Mayock..he is a complete jokethe fact that you keep referencing him is very telling

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

do yourself a favor and STOP putting so much stock in Mayock..he is a complete jokethe fact that you keep referencing him is very telling

I dont put much stock in Mayock. I am asking why after Mayock says he is a borderline 1st rounder now everyone is mocking him in the 1st round? And I say I would not draft him in any round. Reading comprehension issues?LOL. Everyone else is putting stock in Mayock not me. Or else everyone else suddenly "found" this guy at the same time. I find it very unbelievable that everyobe suddenly loves the kid with awful tape.

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

you wanna bet Rankins goes in rd 1? I say he does and should, you say he shouldn'twe can revisit this after draft, I have a good memoryThis is not about one bad game. It's about a player who only wins 25% of the time and people are mocking to us at No.9. It's about a guy who supposedly " dominated" the Senior Bowl who actually was only winning 50% of the time and was not overly impressive.I have no idea where or why there is so much smoke being generated about Rankins but I am not buying it. It's like all the clueless talking heads heard Mayock say he was a borderline 1st rounder so they started mocking him to the Bucs at No.9.This whole Sheldon Rankins hype machine is a joke. The kid looks lazy and I will laugh when he signs that rookie deal and becomes fat because his number one trait on the field is lazy.

I dont put much stock in Mayock. I am asking why after Mayock says he is a borderline 1st rounder now everyone is mocking him in the 1st round? And I say I would not draft him in any round. Reading comprehension issues?LOL. Everyone else is putting stock in Mayock not me. Or else everyone else suddenly "found" this guy at the same time. I find it very unbelievable that everyobe suddenly loves the kid with awful tape.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he is strictly a 3-4 DE that can 2 gap and eat up blockers. He needs to get stronger no matter what position he plays. I just don't see a 3 technique with him. He is always the last guy up the field. Not enough functional strength to play nose tackle.We will have to agree to disagree about Rankins. He does not impress me.

Yep. Agree to disagree. Good chat though

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does anyone know what Mike smith is gonna want out of our NT?

Please wait…

• rmslpn

Participant

nice in depth Rankins evaluation, and not some embarrassing assessment off of one gamehttp://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/12471126/the-nfl-draft-report-s-top-ten-series---the-most-extensive-scouting-information-you-will-find-on-louisville-s-sheldon-rankins.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am asking why after Mayock says he is a borderline 1st rounder now everyone is mocking him in the 1st round?

To be fair, he probably is a first rounder. No way in hell should he be a top ten pick though, which PR is the only publication I've seen consistently mocking him that high.  A lot of posters here are very impressionable, so they jump on board.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

nice in depth Rankins evaluation, and not some embarrassing assessment off of one gamehttp://nfldraftreport.sportsblog.com/posts/12471126/the-nfl-draft-report-s-top-ten-series---the-most-extensive-scouting-information-you-will-find-on-louisville-s-sheldon-rankins.html

He seems to be taking the same false narrative that everyone else is using and running with it. Look at the very first sentence..."dominating the action playing inside at the 2016 Senior Bowl practices."LOL. Define dominant.Serious question Penny, have YOU watched his Senior Bowl practices?

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Does anyone know what Mike smith is gonna want out of our NT?

Thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"With his non-quit motor"What is this a parody? OMG I can't stop laughing. One of the laziest prospects I have ever seen now has a non-quit motor?

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

He seems to be taking the same false narrative that everyone else is using and running with it. Look at the very first sentence..."dominating the action playing inside at the 2016 Senior Bowl practices."LOL. Define dominant.Serious question Penny, have YOU watched his Senior Bowl practices?

Watch at the 2:30 mark. Rankins displays the elite quickness and athleticism that coaches drool over. He does need to get more consistent though. https://youtu.be/fhUX4KM00MI

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch at the 2:30 mark. Rankins displays the elite quickness and athleticism that coaches drool over. He does need to get more consistent though. https://youtu.be/fhUX4KM00MI

Oh I have seen his explosiveness. He throws it down on about 10% of his reps. Also interesting that scouting report calls the A&M game one of his best games of the year. He had no luck inside, he got marginal bull rush on the LT but never even came close to collapsing the pocket and against the RT Germain Ifedi he was man handled. No bull rush, no speed moves, he had nothing. Sometimes it's a good idea to see what these guys do against NFL level talent. Just because he had a bull rush against Samford doesn't mean he can do it at the next level, or even against top college linemen.

Please wait…

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.