Viewing 33 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Tony Gonzalez attacks NFL salary system, suggests compelling reform The Sporting NewsBy Tadd Haislop @TaddHaislop RSS July 6, 2014 2:07pm EDTgonzo_zpsa1443232.pngTony Gonzalez (AP Photo)Tony Gonzalez, arguably the best tight end to ever play in the NFL, of course had a massive impact on the league throughout his 17-year career with the Chiefs and Falcons that ended after last season. Wouldn't it be something if his post-career impact is even greater?That could happen if the league, or at least the NFLPA, puts legitimate thought into the idea suggested in Gonzalez's column posted on CBSSports.com — NFL players should be paid based on production, not position.Citing the recent Jimmy Graham tight end vs. wide receiver saga as his call to action, Gonzalez writes that the NFL is behind the times with it's salary system. He accurately notes that it's the only American sports league that dictates salaries based on positions. The NBA's system, in which players are paid as a result of on-court performance rather than position, is a good example of what the future Hall of Famer wants. If the NBA used the NFL's system and, theoretically, centers were valued higher than small forwards, the Heat would be obligated to pay Greg Oden more than LeBron James."It didn't seem fair that no matter how many passes I caught or how many touchdowns I scored, I was considered a 'lowly tight end' and would never be paid anywhere close to a salary as high as the elite wide receivers," Gonzalez writes.Team owners have wanted reform around this subject for years, a league source tells ProFootballTalk, and they should. The suggested system would allow for a league-wide minimum salary, freeing up loads of money that could be distributed to players who earn it on the field.A pay-for-play system in the NFL would make cases like Graham's a non-issue. Who cares what position he is? If he performs — and he does — he'll be paid for it. Should a guard be paid more than a running back? Sure — if that less-glamorous position player's impact is greater than that of the "skill position" player.Gonzalez notes that players like Graham and himself are grossly underpaid considering their value to the team. He understands a reform of this proportion takes time, but suggests the idea be a top priority for the NFLPA during the next CBA negotiation. Obviously the current system is in place for a reason. Not only can teams get away with paying a guy like Graham less than he's worth, but there's little subjectivity surrounding the pay scale. If a player in the NBA thinks he's worth a certain amount, he's not forced to take anything less. He can test the market. Just ask Carmelo Anthony how that works.Gonzalez, of course, isn't alone with his opinion. Many look around at other leagues' salary systems and think "wait, why doesn't the NFL do this?" Perhaps somebody as impactful and respected as the legendary tight end can spark further debate.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on this, how do you determine if a player has performed who plays exclusively in the trenches? Pancakes? Sacks allowed? I think it is flawed a bit and I wouldn’t think that would be fair to the guys who arguably have the greatest impact on the game (The Lineman). Also, I don’t think statistics define a player’s worth, some players have significant supporting staff that allow them to get those embellished statistics. By this logic for example, a player like Darrelle Revis may get no interceptions and therefore not be worth anything, but a player like Emmanuel Sanders would be paid like a god, perhaps not because he was talented enough but that he had a prolific quarterback throwing to him. Revis plays his position perfectly at times to the point that Quarterbacks refuse to challenge him, yet he wouldn’t be worth as much as most.I'm against this, stick to the current system.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on this, how do you determine if a player has performed who plays exclusively in the trenches? Pancakes? Sacks allowed? I think it is flawed a bit and I wouldn't think that would be fair to the guys who arguably have the greatest impact on the game (The Lineman). Also, I don't think statistics define a player's worth, some players have significant supporting staff that allow them to get those embellished statistics. By this logic for example, a player like Darrelle Revis may get no interceptions and therefore not be worth anything, but a player like Emmanuel Sanders would be paid like a god, perhaps not because he was talented enough but that he had a prolific quarterback throwing to him. Revis plays his position perfectly at times to the point that Quarterbacks refuse to challenge him, yet he wouldn't be worth as much as most.I'm against this, stick to the current system.

+1+2

• Anonymous

Inactive

I say they should all be paid the same then give them bonuses based on team activities. Give them like a base of $1,000,000 plus $250,000 per year in the league. Every game they win each player gets a $10,000 bonus. Making the play-offs is $100,000 per player. Each play-off win is $100,000 per player. Making it to the SB is $250,000 and winning the SB is $500,000 per player.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I say they should all be paid the same then give them bonuses based on team activities. Give them like a base of $1,000,000 plus $250,000 per year in the league. Every game they win each player gets a $10,000 bonus. Making the play-offs is $100,000 per player. Each play-off win is $100,000 per player. Making it to the SB is $250,000 and winning the SB is $500,000 per player.

You sound like a business owner.  Or someone who is jealous of the money players are making.  This system, in no way, is beneficial to the players.  It's 100% in favor of the owners.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You sound like a business owner.

The NFL is a business #1. The players are just employees. They have far too much control right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see another three ring circus when the CBA expires.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFL is a business #1. The players are just employees. They have far too much control right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see another three ring circus when the CBA expires.

All businesses in this country pay employees based on their worth to the company.  They pay the good ones to make sure they keep them.  Your model goes completely against that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This system, in no way, is beneficial to the players.  It's 100% in favor of the owners.

It's nice to see you understand basic business 101. People often forget the NFL is a business first and foremost. We only see it as a 'game' but it's a business with the sole purpose of generating revenue.

• Anonymous

Inactive

So kickers will become the highest paid players because they score the most points?

• Anonymous

Inactive

So kickers will become the highest paid players because they score the most points?

Well, they do use their feet in a game called football.. ..?

• Anonymous

Inactive

All businesses in this country pay employees based on their worth to the company.  They pay the good ones to make sure they keep them.  Your model goes completely against that.

We can only dream that's how it worked! ROFLMAOMy raises come from corporate. They tell me my employees get x.xx% increase period. It's been like that for almost a decade now. Once upon a time before the bubble and dotcom crash we use to get nice raises and they allowed me to manipulate the raises. They'd give me say 4% per employee but I had to power to lower someone to 2% and increase someone else to 6%. Long gone are those days where the 'good ones' get ahead. It's all about equality and bottom line now.

• Anonymous

Inactive

This system, in no way, is beneficial to the players.  It's 100% in favor of the owners.

It's nice to see you understand basic business 101. People often forget the NFL is a business first and foremost. We only see it as a 'game' but it's a business with the sole purpose of generating revenue.

Again, all businesses pay their employees based on their importance to said business.  If one person is more valuable to the business than another, he/she will get paid more than the other... that's business 101.  Pay your best employees enough to keep them.  The environment you're creating will cause many of the better players to go to Canada.  The CFL will certainly take Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, LeSean McCoy, et al.  The CFL will then become the prominent league and the NFL will fold.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We can only dream that's how it worked! ROFLMAO

Hey, you can go get another job.  You're not forced to be where your at unless you're locked in by your own limitations.  That's no one's fault but your own.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, you can go get another job.  You're not forced to be where your at unless you're locked in by your own limitations.  That's no one's fault but your own.

You made one of my points exactly. The NFL players can quit if they don't like it. I'm glad you're on the same page now. Was that so hard? :PPersonally I'm well compensated for my services. I also augment my daily income by owning 7 rental units worth close to $2 million. Not to mention my 401k is pulling an annual rate of return of 17.37%. I have no complains. :)

• Anonymous

Inactive

You made one of my points exactly. The NFL players can quit if they don't like it. I'm glad you're on the same page now. Was that so hard? :P

Going back to my first post... it's the jealousy factor for you.  Good to know. Interesting to see that you have such an Anti-American stance on this.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You made one of my points exactly. The NFL players can quit if they don't like it. I'm glad you're on the same page now. Was that so hard? :P

Going back to my first post... it's the jealousy factor for you.  Good to know. Interesting to see that you have such an Anti-American stance on this.

The American way basic business model actually. It's "good to know" you can't wiggle out of this without trying to troll me. Keep trying it's amusing as hell!

• Anonymous

Inactive

The American way basic business model actually. It's nice to know you can't wiggle out of this without trying to troll me. Keep trying it's amusing as hell!

LOL.  Sad.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The American way basic business model actually. It's nice to know you can't wiggle out of this without trying to troll me. Keep trying it's amusing as hell!

LOL.  Sad.

Really that's it? You have nothing else? Just the "Hotel California Guest' syndrome?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really that's it? You have nothing else? Just the "Hotel California Guest' syndrome?

There's no point.  Your take is very socialistic where everyone is the same.  It's not what I believe.  Yes, the NFL is a business, but the players are essentially independent contractors.  They go to the highest bidder.  You're forcing them a specific wage with no other recourse.  With your stance, I can't see how you can be a NFL fan.  Your system will cause the NFL to fold.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's no point.  Your take is very socialistic where everyone is the same.  It's not what I believe.  Yes, the NFL is a business, but the players are essentially independent contractors.  They go to the highest bidder.  You're forcing them a specific wage with no other recourse.  With your stance, I can't see how you can be a NFL fan.  Your system will cause the NFL to fold.

Yea rookies stopped wanting to enter the NFL over it. You really think they will stop at the rookies and leave it? I'll leave out any personal attacks as they are pointless. Feel free to try them again if you STILL haven't figure that out yet.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea rookies stopped wanting to enter the NFL over it. You really think they will stop at the rookies and leave it? I'll leave out any personal attacks as they are pointless. Feel free to try them again if you STILL haven't figure that out yet.

Rookies are still making more in the NFL than if they would go to the CFL.  They also know that coming in that in just 4 years they can make $60M+.Also, are you forgetting that the rookie scale was collectively bargained?  You must be, because you must not have realized that the players would have to vote in favor of a rule that pays them less money.  Yeah, that'll happen.  I don't know if you know this or not, but the NFLPA is a union and it won't be broke.  The owners would have to lockout the players for like 10-15 years and then start over.  Good luck with that happening.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rookies are still making more in the NFL than if they would go to the CFL.  They also know that coming in that in just 4 years they can make $60M+.Also, are you forgetting that the rookie scale was collectively bargained?  You must be, because you must not have realized that the players would have to vote in favor of a rule that pays them less money.  Yeah, that'll happen.  I don't know if you know this or not, but the NFLPA is a union and it won't be broke.  The owners would have to lockout the players for like 10-15 years and then start over.  Good luck with that happening.

The vets didn't want the rookies making bank so they we're happy to give the owners the rookie pay scale. That was viewed as a win for both sides.You are assuming the NFL continues to do business with the NFLPA. They could just as easily set the wages they want. If you want to play for the NFL you leave the union and work directly for the league/team. The owners are billionaires who know it might cost them money in the short term to make a move like that but in the long run it will pay for itself. It wouldn't be the first time in history that happened.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The vets didn't want the rookies making bank so they we're happy to give the owners the rookie pay scale. That was viewed as a win for both sides.You are assuming the NFL continues to do business with the NFLPA. They could just as easily set the wages they want. If you want to play for the NFL you leave the union and work directly for the league/team. The owners are billionaires who know it might cost them money in the short term to make a move like that but in the long run it will pay for itself. It wouldn't be the first time in history that happened.

Right, and the rookies are still making good money.  Clowney got $22M guaranteed.  You want to turn around and give him $1M... watch how fast rookies start going to Canada.  It wouldn't be worth it for them to play in the NFL.  They'd start going to Canada in droves.  LOL... watch how quickly the NFL game goes under.  Also, the vets did that so that they get paid.  Under your plan, they wouldn't be getting paid.Yeah, the NFL union will just break.  In what world are you living in?  You don't remember what the discussion was involving that with the last CBA.  The players did threaten to break the union and all become independent contractors.  Good luck with them all taking $1M.  Canada is another option.You're also forgetting about local competition.  There's only ONE reason the XFL didn't work.  Star power.  Watch how fast a rival league pops up and is willing to pay money for the stars.  Your plan is the 100% ruination of the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right, and the rookies are still making good money.  Clowney got $22M guaranteed.  You want to turn around and give him $1M... watch how fast rookies start going to Canada.  It wouldn't be worth it for them to play in the NFL.  They'd start going to Canada in droves.  LOL... watch how quickly the NFL game goes under.  Also, the vets did that so that they get paid.  Under your plan, they wouldn't be getting paid.Yeah, the NFL union will just break.  In what world are you living in?  You don't remember what the discussion was involving that with the last CBA.  The players did threaten to break the union and all become independent contractors.  Good luck with them all taking $1M.  Canada is another option.You're also forgetting about local competition.  There's only ONE reason the XFL didn't work.  Star power.  Watch how fast a rival league pops up and is willing to pay money for the stars.  Your plan is the 100% ruination of the NFL.

You can pick any number you want to pay players in a fixed price system it was only an example. I don't think you get the picture but it's funny to watch the wheel spin. FYI: It's not "my" plan or idea. It has been around longer then we have been alive but if it makes for more amusement it's my system I invented. Now to figure out a way to profit off it. Forget I said anything about it. All posts will be deleted to keep people from stealing my ideas. *laugh*

• Anonymous

Inactive

of course, players are valued by their individual contribution to the team not the position they play

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is an interesting idea….

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can pick any number you want to pay players in a fixed price system it was only an example. I don't think you get the picture but it's funny to watch the wheel spin. FYI: It's not "my" plan or idea. It has been around longer then we have been alive but if it makes for more amusement it's my system I invented. Now to figure out a way to profit off it. Forget I said anything about it. All posts will be deleted to keep people from stealing my ideas. *laugh*

My bad.  I just can't dumb myself down enough sometimes.  Thanks for showing me how though.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea rookies stopped