Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• casren

Participant

Has Jason Licht done a good job or bad job so far in FA? Why?

Please wait…

• Soul Bro

Participant

Good. Why mess with our roster? Beginning in the trenches, we are already building something special in Tampa Bay.

Please wait…

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

I dislike Licht as much as anyone. But I honestly dont see a lot of guys that fit in this FA. The only guy I have a problem with him not getting is Quinn, and maybe Bennett. This team still needs to resign Jameis, Kwon, Marpet, & Smith. That’s a lot of damn cap space that is going to get evaporated on top of the Evans, Brate, & Grimes extensions. Now do I want Suh, and want Licht to go after him? Absolutely, but I won’t throw a fit if he doesn’t. For one Gerald is an emotion tool bag and I don’t know if he’d mesh well with Suh… and 2nd I wouldnt blame Licht for not paying Suh 17 million a year…we can’t pay everybody, there is a salary cap, and this FA pool is complete trash for what our needs are…just because we sign new guys doesn’t mean we’ll be better, we’ll just being paying a lot more for more of the same.

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

Thank you asking Soul. That is a thoughtful answer. I also think Jason has done a fine job. Probably like a 10 out of 10. He has really hit on all our needs. I particularly like how he addressed our glaring need at TE. We are really invested there now! Phew… for a minute it looked like we didn’t have two #1 TE’s. And, it has been so clever how he has dodged all the bullets. He may have found the key to success… if you sign no UFA’s then you haven’t made any bad FA signings!

Please wait…

• Knucknbuc

Participant

No guy is a crap gm. If you don’t agree with the group think on this board that licht is fantastic then you get downvoted to to oblivion lol.

Please wait…

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

You Sofa King We Todd Did!

Please wait…

• Soul Bro

Participant

Honestly, I can’t believe Licht still has a job. Other GMs are making tough decisions, making trades, and picking their spots to sign solid free agents. Apparently, Licht believes he only needs to sit back and add value guys. Quite shocking considering the story the stats tell.

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

To be fair Licht does better with the second tier of free agents, most of his big name signing don’t turn out, but players like Ayers, McDonald, Grimes, McClain, and Hawley have been fairly decent for us.

Please wait…

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

This year or overall? If you’re talking cumulative job on free agency I’d say that’s not his strong suit. This year remains to be seen. Use your cap money to sign your own first then look elsewhere. I do think he should seek out another opinion or two to get advice on free agent’s character, work ethic, etc. Derrick Brooks couldn’t hurt.

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

Wait a second… darn… something just occurred to me. We currently have no LG. None. Hmmm. This is a curious strategy. It is one thing to believe in an unproven player – Jason does that a lot. But, this kicks it up a notch. He has decided to play nobody at left guard. And, our only NT was a 7th round pick who didn’t play last year. I wonder is Brate or DJax can play NT or LG?

Or… have we really been embracing this new Patriots formation? Smith can move to LG, and DJax can move to LT. http://www.businessinsider.com/patriots-lineman-formation-2015-1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just asking, but except for wildly overpaying why would any big FA come here when we have a coach and a GM who are basically on a one year stay of execution?

Please wait…

• Soul Bro

Participant

If Kwon were on New England and word got out that he wanted 13 mil/yr the following year as a free agent, Belichick would ship him out asap. This is the kind of bold move we need to consider to stay balanced and competitive. Instead we accumulate receivers, tight ends and linebackers while having the worst defensive line in the NFL. It’s a broken formula.

Please wait…

• SunnyD

Participant

Watching a mental breakdown unfold in real time is a disturbing thing

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

Preach it Soul!

And, Licht knew he was signing Evans this whole offseason. Now we have way too much tied up in WR’s. He could have (and hopefully still can) traded DJax for a player of a. pick. Teams like the Bears and Bills would have seen him as their #1WR. Meanwhile, on our team, honestly he should take a backseat to Godwin as the #2.

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

so… Sunny… I’m not sure, did you answer the question? Has licht done well so far this offseason?

Please wait…

• yuccaneers

Participant

You do realize that most of these guys getting paid right now will fail to live up to expectations based on the money they will receive and the production they will produce. Would rather be prudent with allocating free agency dollars to pieces to the puzzle to supplement the teams existing roster. No reason to spend high salary cap resources for average talent. Its about finding role players to fit them in schematically from a situational chess match perspective, in football. A team does not win the off-season war and a Superbowl in the same year. The best avenue to contend year-in and year-out is drafting players and developing them within your system and augmenting them through free agency.

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

Cause the Patriots traded away Gronk when he was about to get his payday? How about when they Traded a number 1 pick for a WR when they had Hogan, Amendola, and Elderman. They also traded for another WR (Dorsett) and signed a TE last offseason they also traded away DE Jones and let Chris long walk in free agency so maybe Licht learned from Bill after all.

Please wait…

• tatmanfish

Participant

50 threads on Licht and FAs all stating the same crap and yet free agency starts tomorrow. The only guys being signed were cut allowing them to sign before FA starts.

Licht has been a mixed bag in FA. Some good, some bad. Lambasting him for doing nothing before he’s able to sign the vast majority of FAs is very telling. Add in the troll like level of narcissistic attention whoring, its practically nauseating. At some point you have to bring something else to the table.

Please wait…

• casren

Participant

Hmmm… what is there to talk about Tat? Start a thread about anything. You’re right, FA starts tomorrow, but most of the FA’s who could have help us are now gone. I’m curious if you have any topic to start. Honestly, what is there to talk about? At this point there not even any rumors to talk about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“most of the FA’s who could have help us are now gone”

before it even started. Its a Bucs Fan’s Life

I hear they are cancelling the season at midnight.

Please wait…

• tatmanfish

Participant

Those half a dozen cuts were all that there was…theres no FAs left.

The melodramatics of a teenage girl.

Please wait…

• jerseybucsfan

Participant

Two extremes: panic vs. playing it totally cool.
      Appropriate? Neither with mild to moderate concern. We need help everywhere. Realistically we’ll probably add 3-4 pieces. Licht hit a home run with the Anger pickup. Go for Cody Parkey (21-23 on FG attempts). We need SOME upgrades. But there are plenty of quality choices out there still.

Please wait…

• seanbassak

Participant

This year? He’s done nothing so far. We’ll see, but my hopes aren’t up. In general his track record isn’t so good.
      He’s been pretty darn good in the draft, some hits and some misses but overall I’m happy with his drafts.

Please wait…

• Soul Bro

Participant

@jr.3
      You do realize Gronk is one of the best TEs in NFL history? And that they made trades for WRs still on multi-year rookie contracts, right? Plus, the three receivers you listed have serious injury histories. If you think Licht is a good GM at trades with players and creating a balanced roster, that’s fine. We just disagree.

Please wait…

• acacius

Participant

In my opinion, he has neither been good nor bad so far in free agency this offseason. He hasn’t handed out stupid contracts that would be crippling in the long-term, but he hasn’t knocked anything out of the park either. There hasn’t been much in the way of signings that I’ve found myself wishing the team could have gotten in on. I mean, keep in mind that even if one *did* want to spend $13.3 million/year on Norwell … it probably would have cost the Bucs more given how much more successful the Jags were last year.

Of course, this is in now way meant to suggest that Licht doesn’t deserve blame for team’s success (or lack thereof) in recent years. This is strictly limited to my not seeing much in the way of free agency deals that the team has clearly missed on so far this offseason. (Now, trades like the Quinn deal are clearly another story entirely.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“even if one *did* want to spend $13.3 million/year on Norwell … it probably would have cost the Bucs more given how much more successful the Jags were last year.”

Exactly

Please wait…

• ufcguy32

Participant

Jason licht is the worst gm in football. Thumb up his ass

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

@ SoulBro you’re the one that said the Patriots would trade a player for wanting a big contract not me. I was just proving a point. Also you said we accumulated too many WR , TE and LB but then sit here and defend the Patriots for doing the same. Plus besides L.David name one LB we overpaid for?

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

@Soul Bro I do think you’re right with the roster being unbalanced, but I also will hold judgement off till I see the final 53 man roster come September something. I also know it sucks watching other teams that made the playoffs last year get better while we sit around and do nothing. I also can’t remember the last time winning the off season actually helped us (2002 or maybe 2007 when we signed Garcia because he did lead us to the playoffs.)

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

Seeing as how the bulk of the FA signings can’t begin to happen before 4PM today, I don’t see how anyone can actually answer this question.

He has done very well signing our own players and cutting the dead weight. We missed on some of the trading frenzy, but we were making offers. Can’t cry about another team outbidding us, that happens.

One thing of note is that our team since Licht has been the GM has not leaked a ton of it’s “agreed in principle” signings and I believe we have asked our potential candidates to also keep the contract details under wraps.

There a lot of players who haven’t signed anywhere yet, not to mention the players who can’t negotiate because they haven’t actually been cut as of yet.

Let’s get to the weekend and then we can praise Licht or we can bellyache depending on what actually happens.

Please wait…

• bouconagain

Participant

God I love this day

Casren
      Mar 13, 18 at 10:55 pm #1067645
      And, our only NT was a 7th round pick who didn’t play last year. I wonder is Brate or DJax can play NT or LG?

Casren
      Mar 14, 18 at 3:37 pm #1068120
      I guess our expectations are crazy for actually wanting Licht to sign good players. We are stupid for even hoping for that, I guess. By making this amazing signing, our D-Line currently stands to be just as bad, if not worse than last year

Please wait…

• G.O.A.T. Pellets

Participant

And…today(you know – Free agency) we’ve signed a NT, Kicker, resigned Tandy and are negotiating with a Center that could allow Ali a slide back to Guard, we’re talking to a few DL and a CB Mo Claiborne(who if healthy is an upgrade)…Yep, looks like JL has his thumb up his ass again.

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.