Viewing 51 reply threads

• Author

• Dirtypillows

Participant

Here is a list of the Super Bowl winning QB’s.WilsonFlaccoManningRogersBreesRoethlisbergerManningManningRoethlisbergerBradyBradySince we are in a market for QB...any comments?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah, we should trade our Rd1 this year and next for Eli Manning

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Get a solid d and a qb comparable talent wise to the names on that list. Seems easy right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looks for the most part that you can win the Super Bowl with a slow QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man.. we need a QB.. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Man.. we need a QB..

Yup. No kidding.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The chances of us winning a super bowl with glennon or mccown are less then 5%.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seeing as Brady hasn’t won in 10 years and Manning has one ring, the desire to have a once in a generation QB should take a back seat to having the best defense in the league. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seeing as Brady hasn't won in 10 years and Manning has one ring, the desire to have a once in a generation QB should take a back seat to having the best defense in the league.

Something most of those guys didn't have.  Again, all of them are either quality QBs or else like Flacco who went full hall of famer for a few months.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seeing as Brady hasn't won in 10 years and Manning has one ring, the desire to have a once in a generation QB should take a back seat to having the best defense in the league.

Something most of those guys didn't have.  Again, all of them are either quality QBs or else like Flacco who went full hall of famer for a few months.

If I could have any QB in the league right now I would take Rodgers or Luck simply because I think they have the most upside for the longest period of time.  In the end, I want a defense that makes teams hurt and causes them pause the week they play us.  None of the QBs in this years draft appear to have "franchise" type qualities but maybe one or two could be solid game managers.  Give me defense or give me a team that is not very consistent. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's a higher correlation between winning and passer rating than defense. The top 6 teams in total defense all made the playoffs but then the next twelve teams did not. The team with the #1 overall draft pick finished with the #7 total defense. You can have a good defense and still be a horrible team. The top 5 teams in passer rating all made the playoffs, similarly to the teams with total defense, but then after that seven of the next eleven teams made the playoffs, too. Of the top sixteen teams in passer rating, only Atlanta finished with a losing record. If you have a good QB, it's really hard to finish worse than 7-9 or 8-8.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's a higher correlation between winning and passer rating than defense. The top 6 teams in total defense all made the playoffs but then the next twelve teams did not. The team with the #1 overall draft pick finished with the #7 total defense. You can have a good defense and still be a horrible team. The top 5 teams in passer rating all made the playoffs, similarly to the teams with total defense, but then after that seven of the next eleven teams made the playoffs, too. Of the top sixteen teams in passer rating, only Atlanta finished with a losing record. If you have a good QB, it's really hard to finish worse than 7-9 or 8-8.

Tell that to Eli.  Whose your QB? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Eli had a lousy season. He finished with the #35 passer rating. Because of that, his team was worse than they’ve been in forever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is a list of the Super Bowl winning QB's.WilsonFlaccoManningRogersBreesRoethlisbergerManningManningRoethlisbergerBradyBradySince we are in a market for QB...any comments?

All the QBs were taken in the first round and the ones who weren't are considered elite besides Wilson who has the potential to be elite. So I take my chance with a first round QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but building a quality defense is easier, particularly considering that getting a once in a lifetime QB happens almost never . . . you don't do either to the exclusion of the other even though many seem to speak of the issue as an "or" scenario

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

Can;t wait to get Johnny Football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but building a quality defense is easier, particularly considering that getting a once in a lifetime QB happens almost never . . . you don't do either to the exclusion of the other even though many seem to speak of the issue as an "or" scenario

I'm stating the case that getting a top 15 QB leads you to almost always being a good team. That's all I want. I don't know where you're getting the "once in a lifetime" thing from. I want a good defense to but the numbers bear out defense has less effect on winning. Once you get away from the top 5 or so defenses, it's a crap shoot if you'll be any good. Houston and Cleveland both had top 10 defenses and were horrible. It seems to me a lot easier to find a top 15 QB than to build a top 5 defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed!  You dont do one to the exclusion of the other.  If QB is our need, we picked the wrong year to be lousy.  That's all. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be happy with a bj right about now..but I guess just vj will be good enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think at this point, we are much closer to having a top 5 defense. Add Donald and a CB at the top of the draft and I believe we’d have a dominant D. Still, we'd need some O and QB has more effect than any other position. It all comes down to whether L and L think that one of the QBs available would be a top 15 QB and a significant upgrade over what we have already. You don't take a QB just because you need one. If/when you miss, you set the franchise back years of QB development and failure. Meanwhile, we could have been adding talent at other positions, or drafting another (better) QB in the following years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

High passer rating means low interceptions.  It would be interesting to see where the teams with the highest turnover margins finished.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

High passer rating means low interceptions.  It would be interesting to see where the teams with the highest turnover margins finished.

In the playoffs. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems to me your desire is to be the Bengals

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here is a list of the Super Bowl winning QB's.WilsonFlaccoManningRogersBreesRoethlisbergerManningManningRoethlisbergerBradyBradySince we are in a market for QB...any comments?

Except for the outliers, Wilson and possibly Rothlisberger, all of the QBs are classic pocket passers, accurate w/ quick releases, cerebral, w/ a good feel for avoiding pressure using minimal movement.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilson is pegged as some mobile QB, he does a lot more just picking teams apart from the pocket but like Rothy, keeps plays alive with his feet when necessary.  A strong pocket passer is always the desire in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Margin isn't that strong overall seasonally,within games margin is massive.  There are teams who are good defensively but bad at creating turnovers.. NO was  4th in yards but  29th in turnovers. Your ability to avoid mistakes is actually more important that forcing other teams to make mistakes which sounds odd to say.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilson is pegged as some mobile QB, he does a lot more just picking teams apart from the pocket but like Rothy, keeps plays alive with his feet when necessary.  A strong pocket passer is always the desire in the NFL.

Wilson is a great passer. People act like his is an upmarket Tebow or something but in college he wasn't an option guy but a pocket passer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s always different ways to look at things. For example, almost all of those teams that won had good defenses at the time. Steelers, Giants, Ravens, even the Saints I believe led the NFL in TOs that year. Their defense struggled and look at where half of those QBs are ranked last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When’s the last time Brady missed the playoffs? Could you imagine if Tampa consistently won a playoff game or two? Super bowls aren’t a very good measurable to go on alone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When's the last time Brady missed the playoffs? Could you imagine if Tampa consistently won a playoff game or two? Super bowls aren't a very good measurable to go on alone.

Right. I would be happy with the gruden era statistics at this point. At least something respectable once in awhile would be nice for a change.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When's the last time Brady missed the playoffs? Could you imagine if Tampa consistently won a playoff game or two? Super bowls aren't a very good measurable to go on alone.

I hate to say it, it's the only measurable.  If you set your sights on competing you become the San Diego Chargers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right. I would be happy with the gruden era statistics at this point. At least something respectable once in awhile would be nice for a change.

Gruden operated under the defense-first plan in Tampa. That's why: 1.) The only year he won a playoff game was when he had one of the five best defenses of all time. If you only have a good-to-very good defense and junk at QB, you lose in the first round. 2.) He was just as likely to go 3-13 or 4-12 as 9-7. Teams with QBs don't go 4-12 every other year. A down year for a team with a QB is 7-9 or 8-8. When Gruden was in Oakland, he operated under the QB-first plan. That's why he never won fewer than 8 games in a season and why he won playoff games in consecutive years, which never happened in Tampa.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's always different ways to look at things. For example, almost all of those teams that won had good defenses at the time. Steelers, Giants, Ravens, even the Saints I believe led the NFL in TOs that year. Their defense struggled and look at where half of those QBs are ranked last year.

As others have said, virtually every team that makes the playoffs has a good QB. There are close to 20 QBs good enough to make the playoffs in any given year so there's always going to be 6, 7, or 8 QBs who at one time in their lives have been or could be good enough to make the playoffs but they get edged out by others who played better that year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm stating the case that getting a top 15 QB leads you to almost always being a good team. That's all I want. I don't know where you're getting the "once in a lifetime" thing from. I want a good defense to but the numbers bear out defense has less effect on winning. Once you get away from the top 5 or so defenses, it's a crap shoot if you'll be any good. Houston and Cleveland both had top 10 defenses and were horrible. It seems to me a lot easier to find a top 15 QB than to build a top 5 defense.

Nailed it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's always different ways to look at things. For example, almost all of those teams that won had good defenses at the time. Steelers, Giants, Ravens, even the Saints I believe led the NFL in TOs that year. Their defense struggled and look at where half of those QBs are ranked last year.

As others have said, virtually every team that makes the playoffs has a good QB. There are close to 20 QBs good enough to make the playoffs in any given year so there's always going to be 6, 7, or 8 QBs who at one time in their lives have been or could be good enough to make the playoffs but they get edged out by others who played better that year.

Then do you think that McCown/Glennon are good enough to make the playoffs?  And if not, why not?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then do you think that McCown/Glennon are good enough to make the playoffs?  And if not, why not?

If McCown plays like he did in 2013, the Bucs have a great chance at making the playoffs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Knucknbuc: "The chances of us winning a super bowl with glennon or mccown are less then 5%."32 teams, average chance of winning = 3.125%.  Looks like you have them pegged at 60% above average.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Knucknbuc: "The chances of us winning a super bowl with glennon or mccown are less then 5%."32 teams, average chance of winning = 3.125%.  Looks like you have them pegged at 60% above average.

lol beat me to it

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate to say it, it's the only measurable.  If you set your sights on competing you become the San Diego Chargers.

Bull spit. The bucs won a superbowl then proceeded to suck for a decade. Losing seasons loses fans and gets you no air time in the media. Being a perennial contender is great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bull spit. The bucs won a superbowl then proceeded to suck for a decade. Losing seasons loses fans and gets you no air time in the media. Being a perennial contender is great.

Agreed. While winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, in the end it's only one game and anything can happen. You don't want to base your 3, 4, or 5-year plan over who wins one game between two good teams. Prior to this season, every Super Bowl but the Bucs/Raiders has been really competitive. What if James Harrison got tackled on that TD return against the Cardinals? What if David Tyree can't hold onto that helmet pass? What if Santonio Holmes drags his big toe nail out of bounds? Those games all have different conclusions. You should want to be like the best teams whether they win the Super Bowl or not because they're all one bounce away from winning it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed. While winning the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, in the end it's only one game and anything can happen. You don't want to base your 3, 4, or 5-year plan over who wins one game between two teams. Prior to this season, every Super Bowl but the Bucs/Raiders has been really competitive. What if James Harrison got tackled on that TD return against the Cardinals? What if David Tyree can't hold onto that helmet pass? What if Santonio Holmes drags his big toe nail out of bounds? Those games all have different conclusions. You should want to be like the best teams whether they win the Super Bowl or not because they're all one bounce away from winning it.

And most of all, 11-5 leaves a better feeling in me Sunday than 5-11. I hate losing. I actually tuned out around half time of many Buc games this past year. Played some video games while listening. Ugh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t win the lottery if you don’t play. Yes being a pretender to the throne sucks like it did for us for years and years and years of getting into the playoffs and getting bounced. Thing is that you see the unexpected happen, the giants and ravens were both basically fluke Super Bowl winners. being in the playoffs is the key element.  A few plays, a few good matchups, a couple of hot players and you can win it all … But you needed to make the playoffs.  QBs put into the playoffs on a default basis like nothing else.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dal is correct; to win the lottery you have to play.  I think Glennon and McCown are decent enough QB’s to get some wins with a strong defense.  But if we want a year to year contender, a consistently top 15 QB is certainly needed.  In years past, the “gamble” on the top QB’s has not been so high.  Last year was horrible and I’m sorry, there is not a QB in this year’s class that is a sure fire top 15 NFL QB.  Could one of them be, certainly? But I’m just glad my job is not on the line trying to figure out who that will be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When was the last televised playoff win for this team?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haha got him! ????

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brad Johnson - January 26, 2003. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A decade. That's what not having a pro bowl QB can do to you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That what Gruden, Raheem, Schiano coupled with Owners that dont know that game can do to you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't bother. He thinks we're set at QB and it isn't a need. Apparently we're in good hands with Glennon/McCown and these guys will lead us to the promised land.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It looks like elite QBs are so 3 years ago. The last two winners are in the what, 7-14 range? Lesson: The current NFL (last 2 years) is about having above average QB and very good to great defense. Although I don't know how great that Ravens D was. They are just an anomaly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't bother. He thinks we're set at QB and it isn't a need. Apparently we're in good hands with Glennon/McCown and these guys will lead us to the promised land.

It's either that or it's some guy with nothing better to do than troll a football message board for hours per day. Both are sad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nope, I just think the crop of QBs in this year's draft are crap.

Please wait…

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.