Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I know I’m beating a dead horse here with this moroon (moron) in Dom Smith but if he’s so fucking terrible at LT why not kick his fat ass inside and let Heag play LT or even Wirfs… would they be any worse then smith?… I’ve never understood the reasoning of why not have move his lazy/fat ass to G and see what he can do there.. can someone plz enlighten me

• Anonymous

Inactive

He doesn’t want to play anything but left tackle. Terrible bend. Not strong at the POA. Has never had a good hand punch for as big as he is. Whose spot is he taking? Maybe Cappa, because Cappa is completely maxed out (average on a good day). Smith won’t be a Buc next year. Thank God.

• TBChucky

Participant

Another 1st round Bookend would be nice.. I think the more likely option is they work in Wirfs by years end to see what he can do on the left side. I do agree though, Smith is unlikely to be in Pewter next season.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

He doesn’t want to play anything but left tackle. Terrible bend. Not strong at the POA. Has never had a good hand punch for as big as he is. Whose spot is he taking? Maybe Cappa, because Cappa is completely maxed out (average on a good day). Smith won’t be a Buc next year. Thank God.

Who gives a fuck of what he wants… kick his lazy ass in and if he’s still dogging it cut him… he played guard in college and that’s what made him a high end 2nd round pick.. I think he’s be at least decent inside.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, to replace who though?

Who gives a fuck of what he wants… kick his lazy ass in and if he’s still dogging it cut him… he played guard in college and that’s what made him a high end 2nd round pick.. I think he’s be at least decent inside.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

Cappa.. who you yourself called average on a good day…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith is as well. Clearly.

Cappa.. who you yourself called average on a good day…

• Pennywise

Participant

He was recruited as a tackle at PSU and played tackle

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was gonna say…no need to cross train him at a foreign spot. He’s a trash left tackle.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I was gonna say…no need to cross train him at a foreign spot. He’s a trash left tackle.

I totally disagree with you here 100%.. there is a need to take a look at him at G… and if you ever played football you’d know that it can be done.. it’s not foreign position moving from tackle to guard bro.. as it is the OL know each other’s assignments at all times it’s not like he’d have to learn the plays at guard.

• buccnation

Participant

Jason Peters went from LT to playing Guard before the season started (he’s back at LT now that Dillard got hurt) and reports said that he looked great. Now I understand we are talking about a poor LT vs a HOF LT lol. This is just an example though. I think he’d be average at best at Guard.

• Pennywise

Participant

Jason Peter’s played TE in college ,went undrafted.

• Pennywise

Participant

And Peter’s played lt his whole time in philly

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

He’d be worse at G. He’s never played the position and doesn’t have the right body for it.

Yes, he had a horrible game, but he’s been average throughout his career, and he never misses a game. He’s rusty from not much contact throughout training camp. He’ll improve.

But, not bad for a 2nd rounder. Most top LTs are top picks.

• buccnation

Participant

@pennywise Yes I stated that Peters was obviously a bad comparison but it was the only most recent similar situation that came to mind.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I’ll take a different perspective.

I’m not going to blame Smith for his inconsistent play. Why? Because we’ve all known that Smith has been inconsistent for years now… errr… correction, some of us have known that Smith has been inconsistent for year. So many other fans have been berating former RT Dotson for years, but Dotson has been outperforming LT Smith for all those same years. Last year, PFF still had Dotson rated slightly higher than Smith. Crazy, right?

If we know that Smith isn’t the greatest talent, then we should be looking to move on from Smith to find a better solution. The problem we have here is that GM Licht thinks that Smith is the highest standard. We don’t have any other option at LT today. That isn’t Smith’s problem, that’s a GM Licht problem.

For example, in 2018, the Colts drafted LG Quenton Nelson sixth overall. Many fans thinks that he’s the reason why the Colts’ OLine improved vastly.

Start of 2018 season

LT Castonzo, 2011 1st round (22nd overall, by Indy)
        LG Nelson, 2018 1st round (6th overall, by Indy)
        C Kelly, 2016 1st round (18th overall, by Indy)
        RG Braden Smith, 2018 2nd round (37th overall, by Indy)
        RT Haeg, 2016 5th round (155 overall, by Indy)

Backup OG Glowinski, 2015 4th round (134th overall, by Sea)
        Backup OT Clark, 2016 3rd round (82nd overall, by Indy)

Haeg got injured early in the season and Smith transition from RG to RT and Glowinski move to RG. Braden was so good at RT that Haeg became a backup OL. That’s how Haeg eventually became available in the 2020 off-season for the Bucs to pick up.

As you can see, Indy had been investing into their OLine with high draft capital since 2011. People often forget that Braden Smith was drafted by Indy in the same year with LG Nelson. Braden’s talent proved to be better than expected as he is now holding the starting RT since 2018.

Building the trench is very important, especially the offensive trench. I’ve been tracking playoff teams for a few years now with the majority of them have both top-10 rush and pass blocking or be extremely great at either rush blocking or pass blocking.

PFF did a deep dive video discussion a couple of years ago (it should still be on youtube) revealing that stats that pass coverage was more important than pass rushing. A very good QB with a very good OLine will hope the defense will blitz as that QB will notice this pre and post-snap to exploit the secondary due to one less pass coverage defender.

Again, that QB needs a good Oline to exploit opposing defenses.

Example, pertaining explicitly to us Buc fans.

Brady with New England’s OLine, Brady is quite efficient.
        Brady with Bucs’ OLine, well… Brady was not quite so efficient.

This isn’t saying teams abandon the pass rush, but to have talent in the secondary is just as important so the team doesn’t have blitz as often because it can create coverage sacks.

We can be disappointed in LT Smith’s play, but this shouldn’t be something new to us. This is Smith’s 6th season in the NFL. This is Smith as a finished product and shouldn’t expect more out of him. It’s our GM’s fault for pigeon-holing us into making LT Smith the only option at LT and not have any other viable option.

Could we have another option today? Yes.

For example, we could have kept Dotson this off-season instead of signing Haeg, but still draft Wirfs. We start off Wirfs at RT and have Dotson as the backup. (This is what Dotson is doing right now with Denver.) And now that we have noticed that Wirfs looked good at RT after week 1, then we might be cross training Wirfs at LT meanwhile starting after week 1 and split reps at RT with Dotson.

I want to do this so that we can move on from LT Smith by week 3 or week 4. So Wirfs becomes the LT and Dotson becomes the RT. We can then dangle LT Smith for trade.

Of course, that means we need to draft a RT in the 2021 draft.

But that’s the band-aid approach. We should have been addressing the OLine with high draft picks all along.

Expecting LT Smith to be consistently a top-5 LT is being blind to who Donovan is.

Donovan Smith PFF rating

2015: 1087 snaps, 62.5 PFF rating
        2016: 1135 snaps, 63.9 PFF rating
        2017: 1059 snaps, 64.9 PFF rating
        2018: 1117 snaps, 66.4 PFF rating
        2019: 1055 snaps, 70.4 PFF rating
        2020: 70 snaps, 64.0 PFF rating

Let’s compare Donovan with Demar Dotson

Demar Dotson PFF rating

2015: 201 snaps, 76.7 PFF rating
        2016: 942 snaps, 74.2 PFF rating
        2017: 715 snaps, 73.6 PFF rating
        2018: 1005 snaps, 67.4 PFF rating
        2019: 1045 snaps, 70.8 PFF rating

The only consistent thing with Donovan is that he’s always available! Look at all those snaps each year. But expecting an upper echelon LT from Donovan Smith seems far fetched because he has never shown the propensity to be that type of production in his previous five seasons.

It’s not Donovan Smith’s fault he’s paid like a top LT. It’s not Smith’s fault that he’s the only option at LT.

This is akin to blaming a C student for not being an A student in an honors class. Sure, the C student shows up everyday, but maxes out at simply being a C student still. The correct question to ask is, “Why is a C student enrolled in an honors level class?”

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.