Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/smiths-1-5-buccaneers-are-irrelevant/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Smith’s Bucs narrowly dodged the dubious distinction of being the first Tampa Bay team in franchise history to have an opponent eclipse the 50-point mark twice in a season.”

Don't worry. Plenty of opportunities left to win that distinguished award.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie sounded shellshocked at his presser.  reminded me of Schiano at the end of last year.  Not good only six games in. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've been a fan since 82  this is the worst  effort I've seen from this teamwith supposedly talent    I'am always positive about this team but after the 1st half  that was all I can take.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Scott, idea that the scheme is irrelevant is wrong. I’m shocked you are that simplistic. You site Mouse Davis and the run n’ shoot as dead and gone but quite the contrary the run and shoot technology is the basis of offenses like NE and even PHL’s.  In fact, it is baked into the DNA of almost every offense that spreads the field and uses option routes on a regular basis. Beyond that, the Tampa 2 is a coverage. You say teams have built Tampa 2 beaters...sure they have. They also have blitz beaters, cover 3 beaters, plays versus man and so forth. Offenses always design to beat coverages. Thing is we have been beaten in cover 2 man, man single high, Tampa 2, cover 3 (a lot) , and pretty much every other way we have tried to cover anyone. BTW, Rolondo McClain's INT to beat SEA yesterday....was Tampa 2 coverage played right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can only imagine what primetime game the schedule makers will give the Bucs.  A bad team and a bad TV draw…. The Bucs are 100% irrelevant

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-1-31SR’s Fab 5 – 1-31How many times did we hear Schiano talk about communication breakdowns in pass coverage leading to touchdowns last year? Too many times to count. Communication – or lack thereof – was a big issue in 2013 from the beginning of the season to the end of the year in New Orleans where quarterback Drew Brees lit Tampa Bay up for five touchdowns.“If you’re not on and communicating well, you’ve seen what can happen,” Hayward said. “Our defense can get bombed on. But then when we do well and all of us are on the same page, we lock down in coverage, get sacks and create turnovers. We get tackle for losses and interceptions.”* * *For those of you wanting to know why Schiano’s defense was getting bombed on in New Orleans and why there were some unforgiveable breakdowns in coverage even in the final weeks of the season, there you have it. The good news for the Buccaneers defenders is that Lovie Smith’s Tampa 2 scheme that defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will be deploying is much more basic with less defensive checks, so Tampa Bay’s communication breakdowns may be a thing of the past.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith’s 1-5 Buccaneers Are IrrelevantOctober 13, 2014 8:41 amI’m not saying Smith was the wrong hire, but the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Did the Glazers do their due diligence and even ask real NFL insiders if the Tampa 2 defense was still a relevant, viable defensive scheme in the league?* * * * *SR’s Fab 5 – 1-10https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-1-10The Glazers certainly had Lovie Smith in mind when they fired Greg Schiano on Monday, December 30 after the team’s 42-17 loss at New Orleans, but they didn’t make any overtures to the former Chicago Bears coach until after Schiano was fired. There’s no doubt that the Bucs owners did their research and due diligence, which led to Smith being the team’s top option, but Smith’s son and agent, Matt Smith, dispelled any notion that signing Smith was a done deal prior to Schiano’s departure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs are getting tons of TV time this year — as the joke of the NFL. Being on the wrong side of two hideous blow outs will do that.

Please wait…

• mdclarie

Participant

Sure we’re relevant… as a warning to others what happens when your team shits its pants.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being irrelevant would imply that we were relevant to begin with. We haven’t been relevant for 6+ years. This team hasn’t mattered since about 2007. No one cares about us and our own fans barely care not sure if the players care either.Horrible. I don't want to hear any complaining next year about respect and lack of primetime games. Who the hell wants to see this shitshow?

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

This sure seems like a knee jerk reaction article and there are many of them coming from this site over the past year or two. Scott, take a look at what the Dallas Cowboys are doing in Year 2 of the Cover 2. Not say'n they are world beaters on defense, but they were one of the worst defenses ever in the NFL last year and look how much progress they've made this year. I agree with the other poster that said you were being very simple minded by saying the Cover 2 is an outdated scheme. The scheme won't work if you don't have a pass rush and struggle in pass coverage. If you give this defense a few consistent and dangerous pass rushers all of the sudden it will look like one of the best in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Irrelevant…??_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

I’d be more inclined to entertain a discussion about whether the game passed Lovie Smith by while he sat out of football a year than the “Cover 2 doesn’t work” discussion. It can work if you have the right pieces in place. With the way this team drafts, I’m not holding my breath on those pieces arriving any time soon.

Please wait…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.