Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Mike Smith reiterates that he’s done coaching
      3 hours ago
      By D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Former Falcons coach Mike Smith was on Super Bowl radio row to discuss his book early Tuesday.
      Smith re-iterated that he was “done” with coaching and that he planned to do a lot of fishing before heading to appear on 92.9 The Game.

Smith’s book is titled “You Win in the Locker Room first.”

Smith was most recently with the Buccaneers as defensive coordinator, but was dismissed last season.
      He was head coach of the Falcons from 2008-14 and was 66-46. He posted five straight winning seasons after the franchise had never had back-to-back winning seasons. After two down seasons of 4-12 in 2013 and 6-12 in 2014, Smith was dismissed.
      Smith remains the coach with the most wins in franchise history.
      He went to the playoffs in four of seven seasons and the NFC Championship game after the 2012 season.
      He was named Associated Press coach of the year in 2008.

Comments….

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC
      This is the guy that coached Aaron Donald & Ra’Shede Hageman in the Senior Bowl and then drafted Hageman.

7:19 AM – 29 Jan 2019

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC
      Bucs fans would tell you that he was done coaching 2 years ago.

5:59 AM – 29 Jan 2019

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC
      He got retired.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC
      This is the guy that coached Aaron Donald & Ra’Shede Hageman in the Senior Bowl and then drafted Hageman.

I’d guess Smith & Co. would have drafted Donald @ #37, where they drafted Hageman.  If you want to critique passing on Donald, go after Jake Matthews instead.

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC

That’s a good line.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

5:59 AM – 29 Jan 2019

Replying to @DOrlandoAJC

He got retired.

——–

As the Falcons’ head coach he was more successful than pretty much most of Buccaneers’ head coaches except Gruden and his SB win.   Had a good career as the Falcons’ head coach and brought them several winning seasons and playoff games and was paid well for it. Retiring at a good time w/ lots of time to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Please wait…

• RudeGuy

Participant

Now he’s writing books so the dude has to look like Earnest Hemingway. LOL

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

He ‘wrote’ a book meaning the book is done. Just curious, but it takes time to write a book and get it published. Meaning, Smith was writing this book most likely at certain points during the season and so called offseason the last two years. No way he wrote it and found a publisher after he was fired.

To get to the point, Smith was obviously distracted. Instead off researching ways to improve his horrible defense over the last two years during the offseason, he’s writing a book.

Thanks Mr. Smith.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He ‘wrote’ a book meaning the book is done. Just curious, but it takes time to write a book and get it published. Meaning, Smith was writing this book most likely at certain points during the season and so called offseason the last two years. No way he wrote it and found a publisher after he was fired.

To get to the point, Smith was obviously distracted. Instead off researching ways to improve his horrible defense over the last two years during the offseason, he’s writing a book.

Thanks Mr. Smith.

The book was published back in 2015. Written before he set foot at OBP.

Please wait…

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

Well he can always be a department store Santa around the holidays. 😉

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

It should be titled How to steal money from the Glazer’s . I really like the person (not the coach) I just think the game passed him by.

Please wait…

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Well he can always be a department store Santa around the holidays. 😉

No way I’m putting my kids on Mike Smith’s lap. Dude is creepy

Please wait…

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

It wont be worth the paper its printed on.

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

Thanks Mr. Smith.

Nice that the article doesn’t mention any of that, smh. Why is he promoting a three year old book?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks Mr. Smith.

Nice that the article doesn’t mention any of that, smh. Why is he promoting a three year old book?

Busy being a coach, maybe? Leadership principles don’t change much in 2-3 yrs.

Probably a guest of the publisher, Arthur Blank, etc. Looking to talk to people he worked with over the yrs. SB week is one big NFL convention where alumni get together all the time.

Love Bucs fans. They find any chance to trash people who gave their best but came up short. Bucs have a lot of experience in that (coming up short). Seeing McCoy, Alexander get that treatment.

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

You can’t possibly argue that he gave his best. Where’s the evidence, it certainly wasn’t in his scheme or on the field and you can go back to his last seasons with Atlanta to counter that argument. Smith retirement from coaching with no plans to ‘coach’ again would leave one to believe that his days of ‘giving his best’ could possibly have been over before Koetter hired him.

Players and coaches get trashed all the time, some deservedly and others unrightfully so.  Which bin would you place Smith in? The former or the latter? Smith’s defense was horrible, he’s mostly responsible for that. You could blame the players, but the SCHEME was horrible to begin with, no one argues against that. In this day and age of passing proficiency he came up with a scheme to play timid and not get beat by the big play but let teams throw underneath and damn near put up a 80% completion rate against us on third downs.

His effort was uninspired, his scheme was trash. His performance here deserves to go in that ‘trash’ bin.

Please wait…

• tampaspicer

Participant

LMAO one of the most negative mother efffers is pointing out how Buc fans trash players. STFU!!!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LMAO one of the most negative mother efffers is pointing out how Buc fans trash players. STFU!!!!!!!

You’re the dumb motherfucker who said a book written in 2015 was a “new book”.

Some of the dumbest people on earth are those @ RayJay every season thinking their crappy team is going to turn things around. You’re the poster boy for those fans.

Please wait…

• tampaspicer

Participant

Some of the dumbest people on earth are those @ RayJay every season thinking their crappy team is going to turn things around. You’re the poster boy for those fans.

Hey dip shit. Go back and reread the above post. Wasn’t me that said anything about when the book was wrote.

Please wait…

• Cerious

Participant

While not saying ‘new’ specifically I said that he was promoting a recently written book.

The article is misleading in that regard as they make no mention that the book was written 3 years ago and I for one am not going to go searching for a book written by Smith to get it’s publishing date. It was assumed that the book was new.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

I will take the blame for the confusion.
      When I posted the article, I created the title…Smitty at the Super Bowl promoting his new book.
      I just assumed it was a new book, had no idea it was written 2-3 years ago or whatever.
      I have since corrected the title of the thread.
      My bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’re cool -my mistake, too.

I find it funny that a guy who has made millions coaching football is being criticized by message board fans like they know shit about how to run a team/defense. Sad Bucs fans think they have all the answers.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Smitty got a new gig lined up.

@gregauman

7s
      8 seconds ago

Former Falcons coach and Bucs defensive coordinator Mike Smith will be one of the color analysts on NFL Network’s broadcasts of @TheAAF games this spring.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smitty got a new gig lined up.

@gregauman

7s

8 seconds ago

Former Falcons coach and Bucs defensive coordinator Mike Smith will be one of the color analysts on NFL Network’s broadcasts of @TheAAF games this spring.

Signed an extension after 2017. Has a pay check for a few yrs after being fired……living the life. Glazers she’ll out a lot of money to fired coaching staffs over the last decade plus…..

Please wait…

• RudeGuy

Participant

Yet here you are day in and day out hanging out ad nauseam with some of the same people you chastise. ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I feel bad for Morgan. Dude is just friendless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Smith has been writing that book for two years instead of coaching the Bucs defense. Fuck him. Koetter should mail him a bag of dogshit with a bunch of firecrackers in it and have the delivery boy light the firecrackers before ringing the doorbell.

the book was finished/published in 2015 —

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet here you are day in and day out hanging out ad nauseam with some of the same people you chastise.

you care about how I spend my days do you?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I feel bad for Morgan. Dude is just friendless.

you look to make friends on a message board?

Please wait…

• RudeGuy

Participant

Yet here you are day in and day out hanging out ad nauseam with some of the same people you chastise.

you care about how I spend my days do you?

Just stating a fact has not a thing to do with care.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.