Viewing 56 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

After all the talk about value and best available player, the Bucs focused on need and reached for a WR with average speed at 7 instead of a potential franchise QB or beast LT in Lewan. Just terrible. McCown or Collins are a reason not to draft players at those positions?Deepest WR draft in years and the Bucs take one at 7. If that was the plan then they needed to trade back. Other teams did easily. Of course the Saints picked a true speed in space player much later in Brandin Cooks. Why is this franchise seemingly allergic to speed on offense?The only thing worse than the Evans pick was the Red Board site being down.Yeah, I know I'm whining but I deserve to after waiting months for that pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think it is a reach but it is poor value IMO.I like the player but if they had offers to move down they should have considered it.  Their hand was forced when they cut Mike Williams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think it is a reach but it is poor value IMO.I like the player but if they had offers to move down they should have considered it.  Their hand was forced when they cut Mike Williams.

Without a doubt!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree, poor value is more accurate and yes, MikeWill forced the issue to some extent but they could get a high quality WR in round 2 or 3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And cutting an immature MWill and drafting an immature Evans is going to be hard to sell IMO.  Evans can be a knucklehead like K2 was on gamedays but Evans potential is a lot higher than K2 by a mile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Williams forced their hand, I agree but it was also a move to eventually rid themselves of VJAX’s salary. I also look for similar mover a OG, specifically to take Nicks place and somebody to take Goldsons place but Major Wright just might be his replacement. So I fully expect two more guards to be picked or one draft choice and a FA. These moves have as much to do with next year as this year IMHO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At this point… after the Dominik void… filling needs is great value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Williams forced their hand, I agree but it was also a move to eventually rid themselves of VJAX's salary. I also look for similar mover a OG, specifically to take Nicks place and somebody to take Goldsons place but Major Wright just might be his replacement. So I fully expect two more guards to be picked or one draft choice and a FA. These moves have as much to do with next year as this year IMHO

+1Yup the Bucs have made a lot of horizontal moves in the short term but they have become younger/cheaper long term as a result.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree, poor value is more accurate and yes, MikeWill forced the issue to some extent but they could get a high quality WR in round 2 or 3.

I agree that they could have gotten high quality in the 2nd or 3rd...but then who do they take @ 7? An argument can be made that they should have traded down...but don't trade down just for the sake of trading down...you need a good dance partner.5 of 7 picks right after the Bucs were D players...the Bucs needed O help...and Lewan Taylor was a reach at 7 too...tough spot to draft in this year

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Apparently Mike Williams makes everyone jump, I mean he went to the Bills right? The same team that paid a stupid price to jump up for Watkins.  So now with Watkins and Johnson, at best Williams is their 3rd WR. Maybe the Bills figured out Williams pretty fast too?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They were never ever thinking QB with that first pick.  Once Mike Williams was cut……..errrrr traded, I knew we would either trade up to get Sammy (thank God we didn’t) or go with Mike Evans. I dont think we are done at the WR spot. May take three in total.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Apparently Mike Williams makes everyone jump, I mean he went to the Bills right? The same team that paid a stupid price to jump up for Watkins.  So now with Watkins and Johnson, at best Williams is their 3rd WR. Maybe the Bills figured out Williams pretty fast too?

Williams a quality #2 but more suited for slot play so he doesn't have to face press.  Bills will be pretty much hard to stop now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree that they could have gotten high quality in the 2nd or 3rd...but then who do they take @ 7? An argument can be made that they should have traded down...but don't trade down just for the sake of trading down...you need a good dance partner.5 of 7 picks right after the Bucs were D players...the Bucs needed O help...and Lewan Taylor was a reach at 7 too...tough spot to draft in this year

I don't think Lewan was a reach at 7 at all. Guy went 11. Many 'experts' including Casserly had him rated higher than Matthews.Also, the Browns traded up to take Gilbert the very next pick. Just sayin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs could have taken Gilbert and I don’t think anyone would have blinked IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Apparently the team disagreed on the franchise potential of the available quarterbacks.  And if Evans can be overly hot-tempered on the field, at least he’s never been any run-ins with the law like Lewan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bucs could have taken Gilbert and I don't think anyone would have blinked IMO.

I think plenty of people would have.  I'd have been fine with it, but he wasn't universally considered a top 10 pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After all the talk about value and best available player, the Bucs focused on need and reached for a WR with average speed at 7 instead of a potential franchise QB or beast LT in Lewan. Just terrible. McCown or Collins are a reason not to draft players at those positions?Deepest WR draft in years and the Bucs take one at 7. If that was the plan then they needed to trade back. Other teams did easily. Of course the Saints picked a true speed in space player much later in Brandin Cooks. Why is this franchise seemingly allergic to speed on offense?The only thing worse than the Evans pick was the Red Board site being down.Yeah, I know I'm whining but I deserve to after waiting months for that pick.

i dont love evans, but he was a pretty good pick imo.  lewan or any of the QBs would have been just as big of reaches, probably moreso.  big tall WRs that can win the 50/50 ball is a serious weapon in the NFL right now, and always will be.  our current wrs are vjax evans, and 5 guys that run 4.3s.  how is that allergic to speed?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think Lewan was a reach at 7 at all. Guy went 11. Many 'experts' including Casserly had him rated higher than Matthews.Also, the Browns traded up to take Gilbert the very next pick. Just sayin.

I would not complained one bit about Lewan Taylor as a Buccaneer....Gilbert...yeah...I would have hated that pick

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And cutting an immature MWill and drafting an immature Evans is going to be hard to sell IMO.  Evans can be a knucklehead like K2 was on gamedays but Evans potential is a lot higher than K2 by a mile.

Proof?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

our current wrs are vjax evans, and 5 guys that run 4.3s.  how is that allergic to speed?

Sorry, 4.3 WRs who can play. Who? Skye Dawson?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes I do think Collins is reason enough to pass on Lewan. Clearly Manziel or any of these other QBs wouldn’t have presented “value” upgrades when basically every team in the league that needed a QB had a shot at them and passed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Proof?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20140101-johnny-manziel-gets-in-wr-mike-evans-face-for-drawing-personal-foul-penalties.ece

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think plenty of people would have.  I'd have been fine with it, but he wasn't universally considered a top 10 pick.

Maybe not even the top corner...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

our current wrs are vjax evans, and 5 guys that run 4.3s.  how is that allergic to speed?

Sorry, 4.3 WRs who can play. Who? Skye Dawson?

how many 4.3 wrs can play?  the whole speed in space angle is completely overrated.  we got big guys, we got fast guys, we got a QB that lately has shown he can get the ball where it needs to be.  now we just have to hope we have the system and the playcaller.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We got speed...their names are Jeff Demps, Louis Murphy, and Skye Dawson.Watch and follow much Bucs football?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We got speed...their names are Jeff Demps, Louis Murphy, and Skye Dawson.Watch and follow much Bucs football?

Lol yeah cause those guys have done so much in a Bucs uniform. Good one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He hasn't watched much Buc football.  Excuse him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

maybe those guys havent been put in a position to have success?  we could have done much worse than evans in my book.  and you seem to be worried that he wasnt a tick faster while running in shorts?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe not even the top corner...

Based on his ability to play ST which is important to Lovie too it would have made sense IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i saw recently he was a bit anti-physical?  not sure if its true, but doubt thats what lovie wants.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Proof?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20140101-johnny-manziel-gets-in-wr-mike-evans-face-for-drawing-personal-foul-penalties.ece

wow...one incident and he is being compared to K2.......Silly...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Proof?

That isn't the only incidentHe is  hot head but very physical player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just hoping he’s not the next Michael Clayton.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol...for a guy who poo-poos Mike Evans , complains about team speed and not know we acquired speed, and then wants to draft a WR a that was rated lower...yeah it's a good one alright...QFT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever. Evans was a top ten guy on most draft boards. Ive read that some even had him rated as the best WR in the draft…..in a draft filled with good receivers. If he is that much better, then it isn’t a reach or poor value at all. Evans couldve easily been considered the best player available at number 7 and it just so happened that he filled a need. Want to see poor value? Look at the Bills giving up a ton of picks for Watkins. You may not like the pick but the logic is not flawed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Proof?

Find the proof and post it...otherwise you're talking about  an aggressive WR...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol...for a guy who poo-poos Mike Evans , complains about team speed and not know we acquired speed, and then wants to draft a WR a that was rated lower...yeah it's a good one alright...QFT

Quick - how many catches did Murphy, Dawson, and the track star have last year?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Proof?

Find the proof and post it...otherwise you're talking an aggressive WR...

Not hard to dohttp://www.bucsnation.com/2014/5/9/5699422/mike-evans-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-buccaneershttp://mobile.texags.com/Forums/5/Topics/2361918

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

how many of them played for tedford last season?  how many of them had mccown as a QB last season?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whatever. Evans was a top ten guy on most draft boards. Ive read that some even had him rated as the best WR in the draft.....in a draft filled with good receivers. If he is that much better, then it isn't a reach or poor value at all. Evans couldve easily been considered the best player available at number 7 and it just so happened that he filled a need. Want to see poor value? Look at the Bills giving up a ton of picks for Watkins. You may not like the pick but the logic is not flawed.

Yup.  A lot of people thought he was going to the Raiders at 5. I think that would have been worst case scenario for us if both Watkins and Evans were gone when we picked. We lucked out that Evans was there, I'm sure Licht and Lovie were nervous as hell when the Raiders were on the clock.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are saying the Bucs should picked up a vet WR in FA , then that debatable....other than that you're still butt hurt over Manziel...Evans wasn't a reach and he fills a need.... i would take my chances with Evans than Cooks...who by way also has "0" catches in the NFL and plus the guys we have on  the roster are faster and have NFL exp...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Given the way the draft unfolded Evans was a solid pick.  Watkins and Evans were 1a and 1b (depending on what flavor of WR you prefer) in a draft that was loaded with good recievers.  Its not like we took the tallest midgit, both of them are legit.  Lovie has shown in the past he likes big recievers and they don’t come much bigger than Mike.  He is also a much better athlete than he is given credit for.  He may not have been my first choice, but he is still a very good pick at a position of need and with VJax around to help him he is gonna be special.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he’d been gone that would have left Mack which is a better prize IMHO. 7 was a terrible spot because the top end players were gonna be gone and the guys like Evans and Ebron were gonna be left overs. Evans isn't a top 10 WR, that is the realm of the AJ Greens and Andre Johnsons and he isn't near the class of those guys. There is not really a huge difference between him and Benjamin (he's better but not sure he is 20 spots better)  and I'd bet plenty of people didn't have him as their #2 WR because if you don't value "tall" there isn't a lot to value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Evans was my #1 WR and one of the 5 guys I wanted at #7. Don’t think it was a reach at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he is Alshon Jeffrey or better (since Evans is taller, faster, longer arms and can jump higher), I’ll live quite happily

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

[Not hard to dohttp://www.bucsnation.com/2014/5/9/5699422/mike-evans-2014-nfl-draft-scouting-report-buccaneershttp://mobile.texags.com/Forums/5/Topics/2361918

The link BucNation only validates my point....the other link makes no sense....Nice try though....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is more:http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/02/nfl_combine_preview_getting_to_know_potential_jets_draft_pick_mike_evans.html

McShay assesses that Evans “still has some developing to do as a route runner, and yes, he has some immaturity issues and a tendency to get overly emotional.”

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=705324&page=2

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridgewater is too milquetoast, it’d be the end of the world if we drafted him!Evans is too emotional, it's the end of the world because we drafted him!(Not intending to call you out specifically, alldaway.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

People didn’t like K2’s passion when a 15 yarder offensive pass interference was called.  The NFL is not the college game so that will not fly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just hoping he's not the next Michael Clayton.

Doesn't look to be the case.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is a ton of FAIL in this thread…good thing we are all message board posters and not GMs in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I couldn’t be happier that Evans is looking like a beast so far.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is a ton of FAIL in this thread...good thing we are all message board posters and not GMs in the league.

Yeah, we would all probably struggle to put together a 2 win team

Please wait…

• rrosemarie8

Participant

There is a ton of FAIL in this thread...good thing we are all message board posters and not GMs in the league.

With some of the information ive gathered in the comments from you and some others, im quite sure yinz wouldn't even eclipse that amount of wins. Nice try tho.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like I said, there is a ton of fail in this thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwahahahaha! Evans is 10 times better than Cooks - even with Brees passing to him .Let's talk about speed. Evans has taken the top off the defense multiple times . Cooks has pretty much been limited to running bubble screens.Fail post is full of fail.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I couldn't be happier that Evans is looking like a beast so far.

And this is why you're a better fan and have far more credibility than GIJoe.

Please wait…

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.