Viewing 69 reply threads

• Author

• The Buddy Hobbs

Participant

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/26q1m6/the_owner_of_manchester_united_malcolm_glazer_has/Van Gaal wasn't **CENSORED**ing around when he said he wanted change.They will be dancing in the streets of FC United of Manchester tonight."I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."I feel nothing but contempt for this man, and him being dead doesn't change that.I could feign sympathy for him, but the fact is that he didn't care about us fans, and we really don't care about him.Don't care about being classy, but after what he's done to the club (in more ways than one) there is no way I can care about his death.Jelly and ice cream!Does the debt die with him?Makes sense. I almost died myself when I saw those new Bucs Uniforms.Maybe he partied too hard on his birthday

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screw’em. They’re just pissed that a Yank owned the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish I could see my team win 5 titles. Those guys are ungrateful idiots

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t want to come off as condoning talking bad of the deceased, but if any fans haves have a legit beef with owners, Man U fan does with the Glazers. They took over a well oiled machine that was always going to win with Sir Richard Ferguson managing the team and jacked up prices so high as to make attendance near impossible for the traditional fan base.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manchester United fans are typically the most fairweather and spoiled fans around… kinda like Yankees fans and Pats fans outside of Boston.  One slightly disappointing season and they go away.  What an ass

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Soccer sucks almost as bad as soccer fans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A ManU fan = soccer fans Ok

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

You shouldn’t have even gave them the acknowledgement of posting those comments here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They are just mad they now have the 2nd best team in their city.  You see it in NY that once in a blue moon the Mets do something or in LA now with the Clippers.  They cling to the past and try to pretend they are still the most relevant.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t really put too much stock into it, there will always be classless fans with just about any fanbase… just some like the Philadelphia Eagles seem to boast a higher demographic of classless fans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, it’s a game, your a fan, he was an owner. Give it a rest soccer crazies. “I can’t be sad after what he did to the team” That guy is in need of some serious perspective.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Screw'em. They're just pissed that a Yank owned the team.

Who also happens to be Jewish.  It's antisemitism as well.  That country is falling apart before our eyes, ten fold worse than over here is the us.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

You shouldn't have even gave them the acknowledgement of posting those comments here.

I used to feel that way.  I was raised that way.  It's a different world now, and we need to point these kind of things and these kind of people out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You shouldn't have even gave them the acknowledgement of posting those comments here.

I used to feel that way.  I was raised that way.  It's a different world now, and we need to point these kind of things and these kind of people out.

Say what? You feel we need to point out minorities and left/right wing nuts? No thanks!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Say what? You feel we need to point out minorities and left/right wing nuts? No thanks!

Don't know if you realize how Reddit works, but these were some of the highest voted comments. Which includes thousands of upvotes. That's a pretty big minority. It's disgusting really.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I used to live in England and the way they described the difference between Soccer and Rugby pretty much says all you need to know.Rugby is a game played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen.Soccer is a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't know if you realize how Reddit works, but these were some of the highest voted comments. Which includes thousands of upvotes. That's a pretty big minority. It's disgusting really.

With this subject you're including the entire population of the world. The estimate for world wide internet users in 2013 was 2.8 billion. This small subset isn't even 1%. What do you call that again?

Please wait…

• Bucfan7

Participant

That's funny.Typical American football fan meathead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's funny.Typical American football fan meathead.

That's funny. Typical classless Brit soccer fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d be miserable, too, if I had to pay taxes towards a fake, powerless monarchy to drink their tea from 24kt gold cups in a million square foot, publicly-funded palace.Yet, millions of these fools (citizens) were in attendance for an overly lush and luxurious wedding (publicly funded) for the fake prince and some bimbo he met on EHarmony. F'in absurd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ignorance is bliss on both sides of the pond apparently…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd be miserable, too, if I had to pay taxes towards a fake, powerless monarchy to drink their tea from 24kt gold cups in a million square foot, publicly-funded palace.Yet, millions of these fools (citizens) were in attendance for an overly lush and luxurious wedding (publicly funded) for the fake prince and some bimbo he met on EHarmony. F'in absurd.

Those castles and palaces are bases of defense against the dragons.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ignorance is bliss on both sides of the pond apparently...

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please, I hate even seeing the word soccer on this board. Let this thread die….

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

I'd be miserable, too, if I had to pay taxes towards a fake, powerless monarchy to drink their tea from 24kt gold cups in a million square foot, publicly-funded palace.Yet, millions of these fools (citizens) were in attendance for an overly lush and luxurious wedding (publicly funded) for the fake prince and some bimbo he met on EHarmony. F'in absurd.

Those castles and palaces are bases of defense against the dragons.

Danaerys Stormborn could arrive at any minute.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please, I hate even seeing the word soccer on this board.

[img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3289970688/hEE9821A0/[/img]

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Once upon a time a nut case ruled Germany. He tried to eliminate Jews and burn England to the ground. Here comes the Yanks to save the day. Many years later a Jewish Yank buys an English soccer team and they have a problem with this from day one. Even before the purchase they had a hissy. I don't get it, gents!

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Once upon a time a nut case ruled Germany. He tried to eliminate Jews and burn England to the ground. Here comes the Yanks to save the day. Many years later a Jewish Yank buys an English soccer team and they have a problem with this from day one. Even before the purchase they had a hissy. I don't get it, gents!

Acually you DO get it, and it was exactly what I was alluding to in my post.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

I actually watch quite a bit of soccer. The fans are absolutely insane and disrespectful. There is a lot of racism in other countries, bananas being thrown at players, flares thrown at players, fans lighting the field on fire. They are all insane.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It makes you wonder if they start teaching history in Europe starting in the 1950's. The French also have a problem backing the US most of the time. Many Americans lost their lives so they can go about their daily business insulting us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe you should read a bit more history. Britain would never have invaded Europe themselves, but they did a very good job of fighting off the Germans after the French caved. It was touch and go for a while, but we didn't need any American boots on the ground to fight off the Germans alone for 3 years before Peal Harbor.With regards to the original topic, there are soccer fans and Man Utd fans. Many of the latter do not even want their players to turn out for England (or any other national side) as they see this as a conflict of interest. Woe betide anybody who gets injured playing for the national team. I lived in Manchester for 9 years, and on and off since 1977 because my parents moved there, and I had many sane, intelligent and sociable friends who became total retards when it came to Manchester United. It is what it is I'm afraid. They hate the Glazers with a venom as they believe they (the Glazers) "saddled" them with debt that could have been spent on buying new players. Screw the fact that Utd won 5 championships out of 7 (IIRC) while the Glazer's owned the club. It is as simple as that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It makes you wonder if they start teaching history in Europe starting in the 1950's. The French also have a problem backing the US most of the time. Many Americans lost their lives so they can go about their daily business insulting us.

No, they actually teach the history outside of America not the trumped up Patriotic BS fairy tales you lot seem to get in school and from Hollywood to stroke the American ego.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, they actually teach the history outside of America not the trumped up Patriotic BS fairy tales you lot seem to get in school and from Hollywood to stroke the American ego.

Do they ever teach about the Revolutionary War?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I used to live in England and the way they described the difference between Soccer and Rugby pretty much says all you need to know.Rugby is a game played by hooligans and watched by gentlemen.Soccer is a game played by gentlemen and watched by hooligans

Respectfully disagree…Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen.Soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans. clearly the point remains similar

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Respectfully disagree…Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen.Soccer is a gentlemen's game played by hooligans. clearly the point remains similar

What I cited was the viewpoint of my British friends and what I heard over and over again when I lived there.  I was there during the time when there were gangs of fans that would go from England to the continent with the sole purpose of rioting and causing trouble.  Everytime there were matches in Holland, Germany, etc the British television would have specials showing the fans fighting with the other fans and/or the police.  At one point FIFA banned them from playing on the continent.Conversely, there were never issues with the rugby fans.But, as you said, it is similar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

my slight twist would be, in England:Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen and watched by gentlemen (very different feel between a rugby match and, say, an away West Ham match)Soccer is a gentlemen's game played largely by gentleman, but definitely with a few hooligans.. and the same goes for those watching

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do they ever teach about the Revolutionary War?

They did at the school I was at and there was no bias involved, just the facts and it wasn't a huge thing.Although our teacher wasn't English so that may have had something to do with it.Let's face it, to Americans it's a massive thing and the birth their nation, to us it's just something that happened a LONG time ago, it's not like it was the only time Britain lost control of somewhere.We have far more history as a nation so it's just a footnote.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I really don’t think we need to be discussing Pearl Harbor in this thread, other than to say, quantitatively, that what those Germans did to us that day of infamy, was deplorable and cowardly.  There, I said it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

cdf95506c577ddc0b17b90cb445b73a182ee6bb131f38a31fd94089fe69de3d4.jpg

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Kudos sir, I knew if anyone here would pick up on it….it would be you!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe i should dispel some BS going on here!as i live near Manchester i have a few friends who are Man United fans, many of them were sad that Malcolm had died and recognized the work he did in Tampa; this did not change their opinion that the Glazer family should NEVER have been allowed to buy the club as the family borrowed the money in lieu of paying it back with prize winnings. the two issues are completely separate. Soccer is not the same as Football in the way that the Chairperson will control the purse strings and the $, the GM picks the players and the HC works with those players with the help of his assistants. FC United of Manchester was formed by fans who felt betrayed by the team being floated on the NYSE and see the Glazer's as the pantomime villain. As has already been posted you get idiots in all walks of life; however it's always the controversial ones who get attention

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

great post Brit

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe you should read a bit more history. Britain would never have invaded Europe themselves, but they did a very good job of fighting off the Germans after the French caved. It was touch and go for a while, but we didn't need any American boots on the ground to fight off the Germans alone for 3 years before Peal Harbor.

Love your graditude. You are foolish if you think England defeats Germany in WWII without the US getting involved.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Maybe i should dispel some BS going on here!as i live near Manchester i have a few friends who are Man United fans, many of them were sad that Malcolm had died and recognized the work he did in Tampa; this did not change their opinion that the Glazer family should NEVER have been allowed to buy the club as the family borrowed the money in lieu of paying it back with prize winnings. the two issues are completely separate. Soccer is not the same as Football in the way that the Chairperson will control the purse strings and the $, the GM picks the players and the HC works with those players with the help of his assistants. FC United of Manchester was formed by fans who felt betrayed by the team being floated on the NYSE and see the Glazer's as the pantomime villain. As has already been posted you get idiots in all walks of life; however it's always the controversial ones who get attention

Ehhhh.....  We owed you one for all the years we had to put up with Robin Leach.Robin-Leach.png

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More graditude. I guess the Brits could have pulled off D Day all on their own. Oh wait.... I guess their plan was to continue to get their country blown up for another three years. The Ropa Dope only works in boxing, not war.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Maybe you should read a bit more history. Britain would never have invaded Europe themselves, but they did a very good job of fighting off the Germans after the French caved. It was touch and go for a while, but we didn't need any American boots on the ground to fight off the Germans alone for 3 years before Peal Harbor.

I missed this the first time around.1.  Some of us don't have to "read a bit more about history" because we heard about if at the dinner table from the men who were there.  By the way, research "Neville Chamberlain".2.  Britain could never have invaded Europe "themselves".  They didn't have the raw materials and industry to make the hardware needed to do so, nor the funds to pay for a protracted ground fight. (kudos on the spirfire though, as well as your early warning pilots, they performed admirably)3.  Since you're an island, as well as what I mentioned in #2, that's primarily while Brits sat there, night after night, being bombed by Nazi bombers.4.  You didn't need American boots to fight the Germans because the American Boots were invading France on Omaha Beach where the Germans were.5. You also may not know this, but prior to out entry in the war, we were shipping your country millions of tons of raw materials to keep Britain alive (via ours and your merchant ships) ..and when the Nazi's started sinking them with their subs, our navy was forming a blockade from NY to London across the entire Atlantic ocean.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who’s kidding who, cut the crap.  The citizenry in this country did not want to get involved, only after Pearl Harbor did it become palatable. Once Britain fell the Nazi’s were headed to our doorstep. Our involvement was less an act of nobility and more an act of pragmatism. Since then the U.S and Great Britain have been the strongest of allies imaginable. Geez enough of this xenophobic posturing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Better than living in a country where all your taxes go to an oligarchy run by big businesses. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

French people would probably insult the US even more if they were an autocratic German puppet state or a Soviet puppet state. However let's not pretend that we know for a fact that France is better off having come out of the war a democratic capitalist regime.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I missed this the first time around.1.  Some of us don't have to "read a bit more about history" because we heard about if at the dinner table from the men who were there.  By the way, research "Neville Chamberlain".2.  Britain could never have invaded Europe "themselves".  They didn't have the raw materials and industry to make the hardware needed to do so, nor the funds to pay for a protracted ground fight. (kudos on the spirfire though, as well as your early warning pilots, they performed admirably)3.  Since you're an island, as well as what I mentioned in #2, that's primarily while Brits sat there, night after night, being bombed by Nazi bombers.4.  You didn't need American boots to fight the Germans because the American Boots were invading France on Omaha Beach where the Germans were.5. You also may not know this, but prior to out entry in the war, we were shipping your country millions of tons of raw materials to keep Britain alive (via ours and your merchant ships) ..and when the Nazi's started sinking them with their subs, our navy was forming a blockade from NY to London across the entire Atlantic ocean.

If the USA wasn't backing Britain so hard, they may have peaced out with the Germans as the German government was happy with controlling the continent and Operation Sealion didn't have the resources to be completed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's kidding who, cut the crap.  The citizenry in this country did not want to get involved, only after Pearl Harbor did it become palatable. Once Britain fell the Nazi's were headed to our doorstep. Our involvement was less an act of nobility and more an act of pragmatism. Since then the U.S and Great Britain have been the strongest of allies imaginable. Geez enough of this xenophobic posturing.

The German government had very little chance of successfully invading Britain and no interest in invading the USA. The logistics alone rule it out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who's kidding who, cut the crap.  The citizenry in this country did not want to get involved, only after Pearl Harbor did it become palatable. Once Britain fell the Nazi's were headed to our doorstep. Our involvement was less an act of nobility and more an act of pragmatism. Since then the U.S and Great Britain have been the strongest of allies imaginable. Geez enough of this xenophobic posturing.

The German government had very little chance of successfully invading Britain and no interest in invading the USA. The logistics alone rule it out.

Lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More graditude. I guess the Brits could have pulled off D Day all on their own. Oh wait.... I guess their plan was to continue to get their country blown up for another three years. The Ropa Dope only works in boxing, not war.

Ropa Dope line made me laugh, thanks...

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Better than living in a country where all your taxes go to an oligarchy run by big businesses. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Both are pretty crappy. Pick your poison , I say.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol.

You really think an amphibious invasion across the Atlantic would've worked? Much less holding any territory captured?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol.

You really think an amphibious invasion across the Atlantic would've worked? Much less holding any territory captured?

Successfully invading Britain? Yes. Amphibious assault against the USA? No.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol.

Successfully invading Britain? Yes. Amphibious assault against the USA? No.

Look up the history on Operation Sealion there was simply no way to hold The Channel

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Germany was going to invade America? Uh ...link?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It has nothing to do with gratitude. I said we could never have invaded Europe by ourselves. I know we needed the Americans to win the war, but we fought tooth and nail in and around the UK, and Africa. Malta to name a few places before America joined in. We got our asses kicked on numerous occasions but when push came to shove we put up. We would never have won the war without the USA. I know that. But SOME Americans are of the glossy opinion that they could have done it all by themselves. For example there were FIVE beaches on D-Day. The Americans stormed  TWO.  The British and Commonwealth Armies stormed THREE. Think about that for a moment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Points 1 and 2 I basically concede. I could argue the details but Chamberlain was a turd and yes I agree I am not sure we had the finances to win the war. Resources so true at the start, but once we figured out how to kick the crap out of the U boats we were in a lot better shape. Invading Russia was also a big help, but us V Nazi Germany = eventually a peace treaty waiting to happen.Point 3. Sortof. But we kicked the crap out of the Luftwaffe. It took PTSD to a new level, and home field advantage was a HUGE factor but we went nose to nose with the Luftwaffe and kicked the crap out of them.Point 4. That was 4 years after we started fighting, 18 months after the USA did. Point being there was a whole bunch of fighting and casualties before you turned up.Point 5. I am aware of the lend lease program. We got some good stuff but thanks to Congress we also paid top dollar for a whole bunch of shit. To some extent it was a numbers game in that any replacement was better than no replacement, but when you talk about the Lee/grant Tank for example, it made a difference in Africa.Last but not least, a German invasion of the UK would never have succeeded. The Royal Navy had plans that should it occur it would have made Okinawa with the Kamikazes look like a cake walk. Worst case scenario the plan was to ram every single German ship in the water. The German navy did not have enough combat ships to protect an invasion fleet so it would have been left to the Luftwaffe. As the sinking of the Admiral Hiroshima proved in 1944 air power makes a very powerful ship, powerless. The Germans would only have invaded with air superiority, and the RN knowing this knew they had 24 hrs to stop the invasion. It would have made the Charge of the LIght Brigade look like good move.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

The majority of the fighting in WWII took place between Germany and the Soviet Union.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how this ridiculous off-topic thread derailing argument would be handled on a forum with mods that were actually able to you know…moderate?Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how this ridiculous off-topic thread derailing argument would be handled on a forum with mods that were actually able to you know...moderate?Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

how much are you willing to pay to know?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It has nothing to do with gratitude. I said we could never have invaded Europe by ourselves. I know we needed the Americans to win the war, but we fought tooth and nail in and around the UK, and Africa. Malta to name a few places before America joined in. We got our asses kicked on numerous occasions but when push came to shove we put up. We would never have won the war without the USA. I know that. But SOME Americans are of the glossy opinion that they could have done it all by themselves. For example there were FIVE beaches on D-Day. The Americans stormed  TWO.  The British and Commonwealth Armies stormed THREE. Think about that for a moment.

My reply was to the poster who believes Americans learn about war history through  "trumped up Patriotic BS fairy tales" and "from Hollywood to stroke the American ego." What you outlined above is how most Americans are educated about WWII in our schools. We understand D Day was not just American troops.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Points 1 and 2 I basically concede. I could argue the details but Chamberlain was a turd and yes I agree I am not sure we had the finances to win the war. Resources so true at the start, but once we figured out how to kick the crap out of the U boats we were in a lot better shape. Invading Russia was also a big help, but us V Nazi Germany = eventually a peace treaty waiting to happen.Point 3. Sortof. But we kicked the crap out of the Luftwaffe. It took PTSD to a new level, and home field advantage was a HUGE factor but we went nose to nose with the Luftwaffe and kicked the crap out of them.Point 4. That was 4 years after we started fighting, 18 months after the USA did. Point being there was a whole bunch of fighting and casualties before you turned up.Point 5. I am aware of the lend lease program. We got some good stuff but thanks to Congress we also paid top dollar for a whole bunch of **CENSORED**. To some extent it was a numbers game in that any replacement was better than no replacement, but when you talk about the Lee/grant Tank for example, it made a difference in Africa.Last but not least, a German invasion of the UK would never have succeeded. The Royal Navy had plans that should it occur it would have made Okinawa with the Kamikazes look like a cake walk. Worst case scenario the plan was to ram every single German ship in the water. The German navy did not have enough combat ships to protect an invasion fleet so it would have been left to the Luftwaffe. As the sinking of the Admiral Hiroshima proved in 1944 air power makes a very powerful ship, powerless. The Germans would only have invaded with air superiority, and the RN knowing this knew they had 24 hrs to stop the invasion. It would have made the Charge of the LIght Brigade look like good move.

wonderfully written and I concur on all points.  Also my apologies in failing to mention your African Corp.  Those were brave men fighting in brutal conditions in the hunt for Rommel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how this ridiculous off-topic thread derailing argument would be handled on a forum with mods that were actually able to you know...moderate?Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

Well the original topic was of the opinion of one Man U fan. The war history lesson was must more interesting.  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Soccer is gay…….. and by “gay” i mean INCREDIBLY FUCKING LAME.  :D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno. The Soviets likely would have won while the British pulled a weaker D-Day. I imagine all of Germany would be Soviet and Japan's empire would have been magnificent until it eventually fell.The only way the Germans win is if the high command takes over the decision making OR the Americans decide not to supply arms to the British and Soviets. And, well, that just wouldn't make them any money, now would it? ;P

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Soccer is gay........ and by "gay" i mean INCREDIBLY **CENSORED**ING LAME.  :D

Oh my. I hope xenophobia doesn't run in your family.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Locking thread because well really off-topic now lol

Please wait…

Viewing 69 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.