Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• spurzo

Participant

http://www.raidersbeat.com/filmwithfive-prospect-preview-te-david-njoku/

I’ve seen comments about how picking Njoku doesn’t make sense. Here’s a thorough breakdown with clips about what he can do.

• NCBuccaneer5

Participant

Not even the BPA at TE which is not a first round position of need. A tight end in maybe around 5 makes sense, but a first round Tight End I have always been against. I would not be upset with OJ Howard based on his obvious skill set, but would be upset with Njoku. We need one of these positions (in order): Safety, Running Back, Defensive End, O-Line

• Buc Bauce

Participant

What really separates him as a prospect is his ability to run after the catch.

He’s got great hands, he high points the ball very well, can make acrobatic catches, he boxes out. He reminds me quite a bit of Antonio Gates.

Everyone seems to be settling for just Brate, but I think Brate’s stats are a little inflated due to Jameis not having anyone else to throw to besides Evans.

I love Cam Brate, but he can’t run after the catch, and he can be covered by athletic linebackers and safeties.

Njoku is raw as a blocker, but he’s willing and he’s powerful, he just needs to be coached up.

Plus I love the ability to run two TE sets.

To me, Njoku is a better athlete than Howard (my eyeball test) and may have higher overall potential, he’s just raw as a blocker and a route runner, but he’s only 20 years old!

I would be totally on board with Njoku at 19.

• Anonymous

Inactive

More athletic version of Brate? Roughly same size, similar speed, marginal blocker too,  but better athlete overall?

• BlackBeard

Participant

He blows Brate out of the water athletically

NJoku was a national high jump champion in high school plus he ran a 4.64 40 and had a 37.5 vertical at the combine whereas Cameron Brate only ran a 4.77 40 and had 33.5 vertical at his pro day

• Hank Scorpio

Participant

While I would go a different direction than Njoku at 19, I understand the reasoning of the pick and would be fine with it.

• spurzo

Participant

What really separates him as a prospect is his ability to run after the catch.

He’s got great hands, he high points the ball very well, can make acrobatic catches, he boxes out. He reminds me quite a bit of Antonio Gates.

Everyone seems to be settling for just Brate, but I think Brate’s stats are a little inflated due to Jameis not having anyone else to throw to besides Evans.

I love Cam Brate, but he can’t run after the catch, and he can be covered by athletic linebackers and safeties.

Njoku is raw as a blocker, but he’s willing and he’s powerful, he just needs to be coached up.

Plus I love the ability to run two TE sets.

To me, Njoku is a better athlete than Howard (my eyeball test) and may have higher overall potential, he’s just raw as a blocker and a route runner, but he’s only 20 years old!

I would be totally on board with Njoku at 19.

This exactly how I see Njoku as well. He also reminds me of Gates in terms of his route running and ease at which he’s able to get open. When he gets the ball in his hands he basically becomes a running back capable of housing it from anywhere.

• BucsBay

Participant

I’ve been underrating this guy. He’d be a good pick too.

• Ken Grant

Participant

Not even the BPA at TE which is not a first round position of need. A tight end in maybe around 5 makes sense, but a first round Tight End I have always been against. I would not be upset with OJ Howard based on his obvious skill set, but would be upset with Njoku. We need one of these positions (in order): Safety, Running Back, Defensive End, O-Line

Drafting for need in the first round is how you end up with busts.  Take the guy at the top of your board.

• Crazy Legs

Participant

Njoku is the real deal.

Drafting a TE in the first, however, throws off the rest of the draft for me. We would have to go safety second round (Maye? MWilliams?) and then we possibly miss out on an OLineman like Dion Dawkins. If we hold off on TE until the 3rd or 4th and take Shaheen it makes more sense.

Certified Redboard GM
      Mediocrity is the sincerest form of Imitation that greatness can pay to flattery

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I think it’s easy to get wowwed by the highlight tape, but watching the whole games he is not very impressive to me. His technique is so bad on the blocking. He did have good moments but typically he is not very good at blocking given his elite length. Once he gets the bend right and arms extended he will be a good blocker.

The big problem I have is why in 12 games did he only have 43 receptions if he is so great? The year before he had 21 catches in 10 games. That’s it. Over two years he had 64 carreer receptions in 22 games with 9 TD’s. He averaged under 3 catches per game over his carreer, but you should see his highlight tape. It’s going to earn him millions.

I’m not knocking him he is a great athlete but I think the 1st round may be too early for him due to his lack of development as a blocker and lack of production as a receiver.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I don’t like Njoku in the 1st round. He is an undeveloped player and he is not that fast, he is big and athletic. I’m not trying to bash him so I will keep it short and sweet.

Two year starter started 22 games had a total of 64 receptions and 9 TD’s. Averaged under 3 catches per game. Bad technique as a blocker his bend is incorrect, he has no base, and he doesn’t extend his 35″ arms and make use of them. If you ask me this is a developmental player not a plug him in day one player.

GottaJaboo wrote:

• BucNCane

Participant

If you gonna slam Njoku for production then the same has to be said for OJ Howard. He’s played 4 years and has little to show for it. At least Njoku has a season of 45 catches 700 yards and 8 TDs. Howard has 7 TDs in 4 years.

howard had what 600 yards this year in 15 (!) games. Njoku had 700 yards in 12.

• BlackBeard

Participant

If you gonna slam Njoku for production then the same has to be said for OJ Howard. He’s played 4 years and has little to show for it. At least Njoku has a season of 45 catches 700 yards and 8 TDs. Howard has 7 TDs in 4 years. howard had what 600 yards this year in 15 (!) games. Njoku had 700 yards in 12.

Not to mention Mark Richt didn’t even game plan to get the ball to Njoku until later in the season. Maybe I’m bias because I’m a Miami fan and know what Njoku is capable of, but I think Njoku will be a top 5 TE within the next 3 years.

• BlackBeard

Participant

Because when NFL executives evaluate and  draft players they don’t only account production from a player but they also take in account a players potential as well. That’s how you get players like Zeke Ansah, Chandler Jones, JJ Watt, Jimmy Graham, and Dontari Poe selected in the 1st round(Jimmy in the 2nd) despite not putting up great numbers in college.

With that being said, NJoku has a very high ceiling as a player. Njoku has elite measurables and athleticism. As a OC I’d salivating at the thought what Njoku could be in a couple of years down the road. Shoot, right now he’d be a nightmare to guard if you split him out wide.

• BucNCane

Participant

Agreed @blackbeard and Kaaya was garbage. Couldn’t hit the damn broad side of a barn.

• BlackBeard

Participant

Agreed @blackbeard and Kaaya was garbage. Couldn’t hit the damn broad side of a barn.

He was busy sacking himself due to a phantom pass rush

• XFactor

Participant

Brate is a 3rd down guy. Great hands is going to catch everything but not give you much if anything at all after the catch or make a lot of big yardage plays. Having a Travis Kelce type TE in regards to after the catch ability to pair with Brate along with Evans and Djax would be ridiculous. You could argue that TE is a bigger need than another WR at this point, we have nothing behind Brate and he was banged up at the end of the year. I look at teams like the Patriots, Colts and Ravens who all invest a lot in the TE position it seems and hope we follow suit, need more than one good one. Njoku is a TE prospect that can give you that yac and big play ability imo.

• red816

Participant

I would Prefer Howard, but Njoku would be a solid pick.

The guy is only 20 years old and has huge upside – he’s big, fast, athletic, long arms, etc….I would love to see Koetter coach him up and utilize with Brate.

I don’t know how they do it, but Miami has a knack for producing quality TE’s in the NFL.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

I see what all you who want a move TE in the first round are doing! I didn’t realize how many of you don’t like Winston…

• Detrimental

Participant

He is going to get picked by the Raiders first round.

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

I see what all you who want a move TE in the first round are doing! I didn’t realize how many of you don’t like Winston…

Why? Because we would be giving him an additional weapon? Formations with multiple (athletic) TE’s that could give opposing defenses fits?

Wow! You’re quite the football savant.

By the way, how’s the Bear’s message board?

• BucNCane

Participant

Njoku had 17.2 and 16.6 ypc. He’d fit in extremely well with our deep passing game.

Hes 20 with plenty of room to grow. He’s going to be a star or at least a top 5 TE for a decade.

Hes got all of the attributes needed to be a blocking TE. Would just depend on if he likes blocking or not. If he doesn’t, then he’s a late first early 2nd in my book. If he does but wasn’t great because, well he’s 20. Then he’ll grow to be a great TE.

His floor is what ASJ should have been. His ceiling is Greg Olsen range.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

If you gonna slam Njoku for production then the same has to be said for OJ Howard. He’s played 4 years and has little to show for it. At least Njoku has a season of 45 catches 700 yards and 8 TDs. Howard has 7 TDs in 4 years. howard had what 600 yards this year in 15 (!) games. Njoku had 700 yards in 12.

Right, but OJ Howard had very good production as a blocker. That is the difference. One guy starts the season in the lineup from day one, thye other you are spending extra hours with trying to coach him up just so you can put him on the field.

GottaJaboo wrote:

• spurzo

Participant

Right, but OJ Howard had very good production as a blocker. That is the difference. One guy starts the season in the lineup from day one, thye other you are spending extra hours with trying to coach him up just so you can put him on the field.

Isn’t that the entire reason you have position coaches? To teach players the nuances of the position.

• BlackBeard

Participant

God forbid coaches are actually taking time doing their jobs. Just admit that you don’t like David Njoku so we can move forward from this discussion.

• XFactor

Participant

Who gives a shit about a blocking TE this isn’t 1980.. give me a TE that can have a couple 100 yard games in a season.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Definitely south side

• BucNCane

Participant

Difference between what? So OJ howard should be a top 20 pick because he can block but has 4 years of lackluster production but Njoku is a 2nd round pick at best because he can’t block but has 4 years worth of touchdowns and yards in only 2 years?

hes also 2 years younger.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Howard compares to M. Bennett but the Patriots were not in a hurry to re-sign him.  Nice upgrade for the Packers with Bennett though. But J. Cook was a nice flex TE which is exactly what Njoku is objectively speaking.  But Cook is still looking for a job.

In my opinion flex TE’s and blocking TE’s are not in high demand in the NFL as they are a so many of them.

Build the trenches!

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Howard compares to M. Bennett but the Patriots were not in a hurry to re-sign him. Nice upgrade for the Packers with Bennett though. But J. Cook was a nice flex TE which is exactly what Njoku is objectively speaking. But Cook is still looking for a job. In my opinion flex TE’s and blocking TE’s are not in high demand in the NFL as they are a so many of them.

Jared Cook is a Raider. Apparently he had a film session with Carr and was blown away with how advanced the kid is. Lots of people on this board were right about Carr. He sould have been an early 1st round pick

GottaJaboo wrote:

• XFactor

Participant

Howard compares to M. Bennett but the Patriots were not in a hurry to re-sign him. Nice upgrade for the Packers with Bennett though. But J. Cook was a nice flex TE which is exactly what Njoku is objectively speaking. But Cook is still looking for a job. In my opinion flex TE’s and blocking TE’s are not in high demand in the NFL as they are a so many of them.

Disagree. I think having a big athletic TE is so important to an offense with the rules changes that you see teams like the Patriots sign guys like Bennett and trade for a guy like Allen even when they have a Gronk on the team. I look at the Ravens they have invested two 2nd round picks and a thrid round pick on the position. It’s not a bad idea to take another TE early with what we have currently on the roster. I’m all for defense early but if you have a TE and he is BPA you take him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Difference between what? So OJ howard should be a top 20 pick because he can block but has 4 years of lackluster production but Njoku is a 2nd round pick at best because he can’t block but has 4 years worth of touchdowns and yards in only 2 years? hes also 2 years younger.

So a complete TE is less valuable than a big, slowish receiver?

• Buc Bauce

Participant

In many ways, I think Njoku is a better prospect than Tyler Eifert was when he was coming out of notre dame.

They have very similar combine numbers, Njoku’s are slightly better, but Eifert was a very good high pointer, and had a great catch radius, better than I think Njoku has shown. However, I think Njoku’s run after the catch and athletic ability are much better.

Anyways, Eifert and Gates are my two pro comparisons for Njoku.

I don’t think there’s another TE besides Howard that compare to his run after the catch.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Njoku is a threat going down the seam for sure.  A lot of people are comparing Njoku to Antonio Gates, but he compares more to former Buc (Alex Smith).  The difference is Njoku is more athletic and is not as stiff in the hips.

Don’t be surprised if Alex Smith bangs the table for Licht to draft Njoku.

Build the trenches!

• Nobody

Participant

Difference between what? So OJ howard should be a top 20 pick because he can block but has 4 years of lackluster production but Njoku is a 2nd round pick at best because he can’t block but has 4 years worth of touchdowns and yards in only 2 years? hes also 2 years younger.

You know who else had “lackluster production?”

Meet Tony Gonzalez

G         REC YDS AVE TD

11        8 62 7.8 1

11        37 541 14.6 2

11        44 699 15.9 5

…Jason Witten

G REC YDS AVE TD

11         1 11 11.0 0

12        28 293 10.5 2

13        39 493 12.7 5

…and (given your tag, I think you’ve already met) Greg Olsen

G REC YDS AVE TD

9 16 275 17.2 1

12         31 293 14.5 4

13         40 493 12.2 1

– Tony played with a prolific QB of that era in Pat Barnes.

– Jason played with Casey Clausen and Dontae Stallworth.

– Only Greg Olsen has a comparably unstable QB situation as Howard (4 QBs, 2 of which were pretty poor and the last of which was a rookie QB that they schemed to protect).

– And Howard played in a run 1st, run 2nd (and oftentimes run 3rd) offense with an OC and a coach that admitted they were numbskulls for not going out of their way to involve him more.

– And only 1 of those 4 (Howard) played in the conference that plays unparalleled defensive football that is utterly littered with professional prospects on the defensive side of the ball.

Meanwhile, despite all that, he still came up with the nuts in their last National Championship and put together a Catch Rate of nearly 80 % (which prolific NFL TEs are somewhere in the neighborhood of high 60s to low-mid 70s), a stupid stat with innacurate/crappy QBs.  You throw it in his direction, and it isn’t in the stands or turf, and he comes away with it.

The guy has every_single_tool any professional talent evaluator could ever want.  He can play in-line, move, hybrid-slot/flex.  He is a freakish athlete with freakish dimensions/physique.  He can run all the routes.  He presses the seam and the boundary.  He comes back for the football and physically competes (and by competes I mean he wins a la Mike Evans).  He is as refined/physical a run and pass blocker as you could want coming out of the college ranks (possibly the most refined/physical for a pass catcher that I have ever seen).  Winning pedigree.  Hugely heralded blue chip TE prospect coming out of college that didn’t turn sour grapes when he wasn’t featured (at all) in the 1940s Alabama offense (he just got better and better at what they asked of him…run block…and again…and again…pass block…and catch the stray screen, shovel, square in, seam, comeback, bench, wheel, and flexed bubble screen).

Njoku is a very promising prospect and is likely to get much better in-line.  I get it, he comes from TE U (which you obviously have sympathies for/affiliation with).  But he does not compare (at this point) to OJ Howard.  Maybe Howard goes to the Browns or the Jets and his career fails due to horrible organizations.  Maybe he gets a gnarly injury (though he has no history).  But beyond that, the kid is pretty much can’t miss.  There is no comparison.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Whose roster spot is this first round TE taking?

• Nobody

Participant

– 1st round TE

– Brate

– Stocker

– Cross as basically H-back (but likely active on most game-days given how much Koetter loves TEs).

* Westbrook deactivated for most games and possibly sneak him onto the PS if they think he won’t be poached.

Looks pretty straight-forward to me.  Koetter and Jameis both love 12 personnel and Koetter changes his game plan according to his personnel.  Bucs move up to the Ravens/Bengals level of mid-40s % plays in 12 personnel.  Both Brate and whatever 1st TE they would pick-up would be able to play Hybrid-Slot/Flex for effectively an 11 personnel look.  Both TEs would be able to see a theoretical 70 + % of snaps (barring injury) with those personnel groupings plus jumbo.

With Howard, pass protection, run-blocking, and predictability based on down-and-distance and personnel groupings improves.

Win.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

– 1st round TE

– Brate

– Stocker

– Cross as basically H-back (but likely active on most game-days given how much Koetter loves TEs).

* Westbrook deactivated for most games and possibly sneak him onto the PS if they think he won’t be poached.

Looks pretty straight-forward to me. Koetter and Jameis both love 12 personnel and Koetter changes his game plan according to his personnel. Bucs move up to the Ravens/Bengals level of mid-40s % plays in 12 personnel. Both Brate and whatever 1st TE they would pick-up would be able to play Hybrid-Slot/Flex for effectively an 11 personnel look. Both TEs would be able to see a theoretical 70 + % of snaps (barring injury) with those personnel groupings plus jumbo.

With Howard, pass protection, run-blocking, and predictability based on down-and-distance and personnel groupings improves.

Win.

So, the answer is Brandon Myers. They threw him the ball 14 times last year, but he played in every game.

• Nobody

Participant

– 1st round TE – Brate – Stocker – Cross as basically H-back (but likely active on most game-days given how much Koetter loves TEs). * Westbrook deactivated for most games and possibly sneak him onto the PS if they think he won’t be poached. Looks pretty straight-forward to me. Koetter and Jameis both love 12 personnel and Koetter changes his game plan according to his personnel. Bucs move up to the Ravens/Bengals level of mid-40s % plays in 12 personnel. Both Brate and whatever 1st TE they would pick-up would be able to play Hybrid-Slot/Flex for effectively an 11 personnel look. Both TEs would be able to see a theoretical 70 + % of snaps (barring injury) with those personnel groupings plus jumbo. With Howard, pass protection, run-blocking, and predictability based on down-and-distance and personnel groupings improves. Win.

So, the answer is Brandon Myers. They threw him the ball 14 times last year, but he played in every game.

From last year yes (worthless).  Currently a UFA though (with no indication of our interest…unsurprisingly).

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Brandon Myers and Luke Stocker are both expendable. Not sure why some are posting as if we will lose Brate if we draft another TE.

Brate can still get plenty of reps if we draft a 1st round TE.

GottaJaboo wrote:

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Myers and Stocker combined to be in on about 2/3rds of offensive snaps. They were in for their blocking… which is NOT worthless when the OL needed help.

• Nobody

Participant

Myers and Stocker combined to be in on about 2/3rds of offensive snaps. They were in for their blocking… which is NOT worthless when the OL needed help.

Neither of us are privy to their run-blocking and pass-blocking grades, so all we can go on is eye test and general statistics.

From the eye-test, Brandon Myers was below average to terrible in his run-blocking assignments.  Their general run-blocking statistics also bear that out.  Replacing his 35 % of offensive snaps is trivially done…and obviously the Buccaneers agree given they haven’t pursued him during FA (nor has anyone else so his tape is surely not good!).

• GottaJaboo

Blocked

OJ, more than any other draft pick, changes our offense for the better. Would be tough with Djax and OJ to not feel really good about whatever RB we have starting. Also, Jameis would become a 63% or north of that from a completion percentage type QB.

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M – “coaching can’t fix this”.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Neither of us are privy to their run-blocking and pass-blocking grades, so all we can go on is eye test and general statistics.

From the eye-test, Brandon Myers was below average to terrible in his run-blocking assignments. Their general run-blocking statistics also bear that out. Replacing his 35 % of offensive snaps is trivially done…and obviously the Buccaneers agree given they haven’t pursued him during FA (nor has anyone else so his tape is surely not good!).

Do you think they’ll draft a blocking TE in the first round? I hope not.

• Nobody

Participant

Neither of us are privy to their run-blocking and pass-blocking grades, so all we can go on is eye test and general statistics. From the eye-test, Brandon Myers was below average to terrible in his run-blocking assignments. Their general run-blocking statistics also bear that out. Replacing his 35 % of offensive snaps is trivially done…and obviously the Buccaneers agree given they haven’t pursued him during FA (nor has anyone else so his tape is surely not good!).

I have good news for you.  You have nothing to fear.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not be drafting a Tight End in the 1st round who is strictly an in-line blocker on the end of the line of scrimmage.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

Neither of us are privy to their run-blocking and pass-blocking grades, so all we can go on is eye test and general statistics. From the eye-test, Brandon Myers was below average to terrible in his run-blocking assignments. Their general run-blocking statistics also bear that out. Replacing his 35 % of offensive snaps is trivially done…and obviously the Buccaneers agree given they haven’t pursued him during FA (nor has anyone else so his tape is surely not good!).

I have good news for you. You have nothing to fear. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not be drafting a Tight End in the 1st round who is strictly an in-line blocker on the end of the line of scrimmage.

They will need an in-line TE, tho’…

• Nobody

Participant

I have good news for you. You have nothing to fear. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not be drafting a Tight End in the 1st round who is strictly an in-line blocker on the end of the line of scrimmage.

They will need an in-line TE, tho’…

Given that we have 0 chance at OJ Howard, then you’re looking at Adam Shaheen in the 2nd or a trade-up into early 3rd.  Shaheen has the frame, athleticism, and want-to, but he is extremely raw and his POA and 2nd level technique is not good (especially for the competition he played against).  He has the best chance to be coached up to be a legit blocker (he will be a legit pass catcher) in the NFL.

Njoku might.  Young and inconsistent, but athletic.

The two late TEs are Micheal Roberts and Eric Saubert.  Problem is Roberts isn’t even passably good at the 2nd level and a questionable athlete in space against the kind of athletic defenders he would be working to get the angle and his big mitts on.  Saubert isn’t physical enough and has major effort concerns (I hate those guys).

Lots of great pass-catchers (move and hybrid/slot guys) coming out but legit (right now) all-around TEs can be counted on one finger.

• CalicoJackLV

Participant

One finger is pretty much my take on drafting a TE in the first round…

• pewterblood

Participant

If Winston makes someone picked off the street like Brate look good, I want to see what will come off him throwing to superior talent at TE. I was hesitant at first of the idea of drafting a TE in the first round but now I’m fine with it. I am even salivating at the idea of drafting OJ Howard or Njouko.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Thumbs up?! :)

• spurzo

Participant

Thumbs up?! 🙂

So much enthusiasm

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.