Viewing 5 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

Are the Bucs targeting Texas A&M WR Mike Evans? Would the team draft Aggies QB Johnny Manziel? Why did Lovie Smith move on from troubled WR Mike Williams? Why can the Bucs focus on drafting the best player available in the first round? Get the answers to these questions and more in this edition of SR’s Fab 5.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=9735:&Itemid=15

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After reading this Fab Five I am certainly coming around to understanding how Williams could be traded for “just” a sixth round pick in this year’s draft. With OTA’s starting up very soon and the extra mini camp coming up as well, it had to be done so the team could move on.Personally I always like to take the BPA and your analysis of Mike Evens makes him a very interesting option at 7 if we don't trade down. Going to be a VERY interesting draft in May! 

Please wait…

• Mattingly23

Participant

I don’t understand how Lovie Smith and Jason Licht would draft a “prima donna” style of QB in Johnny Football. I think it is a smokescreen and they want either Bridgewater at 7, Carr (trade back in 1st), Garropolo in 2nd or Murray in the 3rd. I agree that they don't rate Glennon.However I do believe they would take Mike Evans at #7 in a heartbeat. Runblocking, physical and a wonderful catch radius,

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

GREAT Fab 5. Found the look at Tedford’s offence and the QB prospects very illuminating.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

SR – I actually think you are on to something with regards to Tedford’s offensive approach. To pontificate further on your point about Tedford and the design of the Bucs offense under his tutelage, based on what I have been able to deduce Tedford will introduce an “Erhardt-Perkins” system which is built largely on its method of organizing and naming plays – overall the system that Tedford will use is more of a “concept based” offensive attack.

The backbone of the Erhardt-Perkins and the core tenets of Tedfords system is that plays in particular pass plays are not organized through the use of a route tree or by calling a single receiver’s route, but rather employed through the use of concepts.Each play has a name; that name conjures up an image for both the quarterback and the other players on offense. And, more importantly, the concept can be called from almost any offensive formation or personnel set. The biggest advantage of a concept-based system is that it operates from the perspective of the most critical player on offense the quarterback. There are essentially three main offensive “systems” in the NFL: West Coast, Coryell, and Erhardt-Perkins. Given that every NFL team runs basically the same plays, each of these NFL offensive families is differentiated mostly by how those plays are communicated.

Under Gruden and Morris the team was basically using a West Coast system, under Schiano the team used the main tenets of the Coryell system and now under Smith at the direction of Tedford the team will use the Erhardt-Perkins system based on my reading different articles from Tedfords days at Cal and his studying of the Patriots offense.It will be a philosophically neutral attack that depending on the opponent can have many different feels from a conservative approach to a more wide open spread to no-huddle, the tactics or feel will look more like the evolving Patriots offense that features a lot of 1 back sets to three receiver sets....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is it just me or does it conjure images of the Patriots offence during McDaniels first tenure?

Please wait…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.