Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

Who is the happiest coach at One Buc Place? Will Tampa Bay be using a FB this year in Jeff Tedford’s offense? What new role does Shelton Quarles have in the Bucs’ brass? Which O-lineman is emerging as a leader? Get the answers and more insight on the Buccaneers in this edition of SR’s Fab 5.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9845

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interestingly, Spencer spoke the least about Martin compared to the other running backs on Tampa Bay’s roster. An NFL source told PewterReport.com that Martin may dance too much in the backfield for the Bucs’ liking, and that the running back’s hesitation last year was just as much to blame for his underwhelming production – 456 yards rushing with just one 100-yard performance – as the poor play of Tampa Bay’s offensive line. The source said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Martin got traded prior to the start of the season. Another dent in the armor of Schiano as a talent evaluator.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is that a dent ? Or did martin become a more hesitant back?  Martin was widely considered a top draft pick by everyone and also a probowler. Not sure why ots necessary to reach for a jab at schiano.As for the article, I think pryor vs. lane will be interesting to watch. For as large as he is, i don't remember lane being a great blocker, and for as small as pryor is, i remember him being pretty good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interestingly, Spencer spoke the least about Martin compared to the other running backs on Tampa Bay’s roster. An NFL source told PewterReport.com that Martin may dance too much in the backfield for the Bucs’ liking, and that the running back’s hesitation last year was just as much to blame for his underwhelming production – 456 yards rushing with just one 100-yard performance – as the poor play of Tampa Bay’s offensive line. The source said that he wouldn’t be surprised if Martin got traded prior to the start of the season. Another dent in the armor of Schiano as a talent evaluator.

Yep I saw the same thing last year too in Doug. He was always looking for the big play and wasn't very good at all pre injury. Last year he was basically Bobby Rainey. Mike James was our best back last year. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we move on from Doug and let Mike James and Charles Sims carry the load.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Buccaneers should be much improved on offense, but without a fullback will be interesting to see if this team can run a 5 minute drill to close out games and if they lose any games because they can’t.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Martin’s lack of production last year was play calling, bad offensive line lay, Freeman being horrible, and carrying the load for the first few games of a rookie Quarterback. Against the Jets and Cardinals there was a defender 4 yards in the backfield every time Martin got the ball. Of course Martin is going to have to dance around in the backfield.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin’s inability to catch a ball cleanly out of the backfield annoyed me as much as his inability to move in close quarters. He looked extremely stiff, mostly not fluid in getting his body turned to reel in the pass.    James and Rainey both showed excellent stop-and-go and change of speed skills in close quarters to avoid tacklers. Martin struggled when not immediately able to go thru a hole, as many have alluded to.     Sometimes a back has to work his way thru would-be tacklers with stutter steps, hops, stops, and THEN go...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d like to hear Hops’ assessment of the guards after they get some pads on…  Collins is right.  The entire team relies on the Oline to do their job correctly and consistently in order to evaluate every position...  Its nice to hear they're not making a lot of mistakes in a complex system. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t specifically remember any hesitation by Martin… but, if there was, he better get over it.  Watching Tedford’s Cal teams, the back has to be in the right place to take advantage of creases that their o-line opened.  Not a lot of bouncing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they trade Martin, maybe they get a 3rd rounder next year because of the injury.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just don’t see a Martin trade.  Doesn’t make sense IMO at any level unless its for a first, and then I’m suspect.Martins hesitation I remember had everything to do with a spotty oline. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a good pass catcher the problem is that he isn’t a feature back.  What would happen would be they would run him into 8 man fronts on first and second down while expecting him to also be a third down back but he was winded and tired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Said before the draft that I expected changes at RB including trade of one of their assets but now even moreso AFTER the draft with Demps and Sims apparently being thought of highly by the staff…this is what happens when there is a shift in philosophies so this really shouldn’t be that huge of a surprise to anyone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a good pass catcher

i gotta disagree. The reports said he was, and he does get a lot of dump offs, but his hands and overall receiving ability are suspect to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a good pass catcher

i gotta disagree. The reports said he was, and he does get a lot of dump offs, but his hands and overall receiving ability are suspect to me.

Martin is definitely not a good pas catcher actually I don't remember any big plays Martin has made off the passing game and he dropped a ton of balls last year. Yes an average to below average pass catcher.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Dancing can be coached out of a back, but it also has a direct relation to him not trusting his blockers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we trade him I know someone who may have a heart attack.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

has a direct relation to him not trusting his blockers.

This.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Martin's lack of production last year was play calling, bad offensive line lay, Freeman being horrible, and carrying the load for the first few games of a rookie Quarterback. Against the Jets and Cardinals there was a defender 4 yards in the backfield every time Martin got the ball. Of course Martin is going to have to dance around in the backfield.

then how did a couple of nobodys in Rainey and James manage to play better?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Is that a dent ? Or did martin become a more hesitant back?  Martin was widely considered a top draft pick by everyone and also a probowler. Not sure why ots necessary to reach for a jab at schiano.As for the article, I think pryor vs. lane will be interesting to watch. For as large as he is, i don't remember lane being a great blocker, and for as small as pryor is, i remember him being pretty good.

well let’s see, his first pick in Barron was a reach.  Better talent was avail.  Martin is a good but not great back.  David was a great pick.  Nothing really after that in 2012.  In 2013 he traded our first, picked an average CB in the 2nd, a backup QB in the 3rd.  And nothing really after that.  His drafting is way overrated on this board. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin’s problem was the O-line how can we sit and call out Martin when he had “The Great Wall” to run behind. I’ll judge him after he’s had adequate blocking. I will say this though Martin has to work on his vision when hitting the hole, it reminds me of Blount in the redzone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet somehow Rainey and James managed to run behind the Great Wall. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet somehow Rainey and James managed to run behind the Great Wall.

Teams didn't game plan to stop them. Both guys had 3 good games combined that's not tearing it up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

James was consistent.  Rainey was showtime or no line…

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

James is a baller. We raped the Patriots in that trade .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This just can’t happen…http://www.sportingcharts.com/chartbuilder/usercharts/chart-995.aspx

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t trade Martin. He’s a good player and gives us great RB depth. We saw how quick it can thin up. Keep him and let the hottest hand get the reps at RB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As the Ray Rice situation worsens, the Ravens might come calling. Zuttah would certainly put in a good word…  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL, you guys make me crack up!

Please wait…

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.