Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

i love alstott, but he is nowhere near the HOF imo.  for those that watched him, would you say most of his carries came from the FB position or the TB position?awesome add for the ROH, save the embarrassment of the HOF attempt imo.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting about the heat. I think it does wear the team down... How close are they really to building the IPF?

• Anonymous

Inactive

i love alstott, but he is nowhere near the HOF imo.  for those that watched him, would you say most of his carries came from the FB position or the TB position?awesome add for the ROH, save the embarrassment of the HOF attempt imo.

Totally agree. He's a player I wanted badly to be a Buc after watching him play v. ND in college, and he was fun to watch. Underrated in some respects, overrated in others. But he was more "RB" than "FB" I thought.

• Anonymous

Inactive

An IPF would be a very good idea for both a break from the heat, and inclement weather which certainly defines Tampa during the summer months.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m a fan of your work Scott, and agree that the heat is likely more problematic than beneficial, but….Your data isn't exactly ironclad. For one thing, just because something is an advantage, doesn't mean that it can't be overcome by the oppositions advantages in other areas (or alternatively, our teams deficiencies). I mean Josh McCown is Josh McCown, regardless of how incrementally more tired the opposing D might be. Plus, the use of September games is arbitrary. It's really about home games, and more specifically home game temperatures. The hottest game I can ever remember being at was in October of '91 where the temp was just 77 but the humidity was 90% (v. Philly). Actually, that game was a classic case of where the heat probably did help - 2 bad teams slugging it out in a close affair won by the Bucs at the death (Philly was 10-6, but started a 3rd string QB and was content to try and win it with defense; we rallied back from 13-0 in the 4th Q).If you really wanted to find out whether heat was an advantage or not for the Bucs, you'd run a regression involving temperatures and the relative quality of the two teams (and maybe factor in where the other team is coming from - I can assure you having lived half my life in Tampa-Clearwater, and the last 9 in central VA, that in August there isn't a substantial difference between the two.  I'm guessing there would be if you were coming from Green Bay or Chicago).

• Anonymous

Inactive

An IPF would be a very good idea for both a break from the heat, and inclement weather which certainly defines Tampa during the summer months.

This is exactly right - how many practices are cut short each year due to thunderstorms?

• billym

Participant

I don’t agree with the notion that keeping the guys fresh with indoor activites is soft.  They get enough heat just living in the area. Working out in the cool is a good idea.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s hard reading the comments on Mikes chances at the HOF.  No doubt a fab favorite and a guy his teammates enjoyed watching as well.  When the defensive players leave their defensive huddle when off the field to watch him work that’s gratitude. As Ira said, watching him play you feel like he’s an HOF’er, plus dude got stats to back him up.  I for one would love to see him get in.We'll never see another guy like him....

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ive been sayng that about the heat forever….it doesn’t help, it hurts, and its only getting hotter.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with the heat problem. That’s been evident for years. The team looks worn out by the time the season starts. About Alstott and being a complete player, the problem with him going in the HOF as a great FB is that Mike wasn't much of a blocker until the Super Bowl season. For most of his career, he was a big, power RB with good hands. Also, for all his highlight reel goal line extra effort scores, there were many where he'd be hit behind the line before he got going. I even remember a season or two that he had fumbling issues. Definitely Bucs' RoH, and he will always remain super popular in Tampa, but not HOF.

• Anonymous

Inactive

an IPF in Florida is almost a neccesity. FSU has one, UCF has one, the Dolphins have one, and UF’s should be done soon. it allows for practicing during rain and lightning and also on days where the heat is massive and you want to do a light walk throughif colleges can afford them i dont see why an NFL team cant

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ronde, Lynch, Alstott in that order. Ronde will probably get in, Lynch is iffy, Mike won’t.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Alstott is my all time favorite buc, but he is not a hall of famer . The indoor facility irks me because the glazers are too cheap to put one up. They had tax payers buy them a stadium and then had the balls to try to get tax payer money to build them the indoor facility. Our ownership is a disgrace and a huge reason why the bucs have lost so much support over the past 12 or so years.

• tbfan4047

Participant

Have the Glazers at least spoken in support of building an IPF? I’ve never heard them speak on it, but I could have missed it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

IPF? It’s time to build one. Looking behind OBP there would appear to be space to build an IPF and still have two practice fields. When they were building OBP I thought for sure an IPF was coming too. As far as conditioning for the heat goes, training camp is enough for conditioning. Once the season starts we need to practice indoors on extremely hot days to keep the players fresh and hyrdated. And as other have already stated having an IPF gives the team a place to practice when it rains, and a way to keep practice going when the threat of lightning looms, and that always interrupts practice.How man more times do we want to hear about the Bucs doing walkthroughs in a parking garage or inside the Rays' stadium? Its beyond ridiculous now.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Have the Glazers at least spoken in support of building an IPF? I've never heard them speak on it, but I could have missed it.

The glazers tried to use more tax payer $ to build one several years ago, but the tampa sports authority ruled that if they did that then practices and the facility would have to be open to the public, so it died.

• tbfan4047

Participant

Have the Glazers at least spoken in support of building an IPF? I've never heard them speak on it, but I could have missed it.

The glazers tried to use more tax payer $ to build one several years ago, but the tampa sports authority ruled that if they did that then practices and the facility would have to be open to the public, so it died.

I hate the league wide precedent of getting tax dollars to fund stadiums and other various team facilities.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s about damn time someone debunked this lame myth about the heat. It’s the most nauseating thing our fans chirp about when the season starts. I sat through the Royals game last night with a heat index of 109 degrees. Buccs fans make it seem like it’s 10 degrees below zero everywhere else in the country during the summer.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • The topic ‘SR’s FAB 5: ALSTOTT HAS HALL OF FAME STATS; BUCS NEED INDOOR PRACTICE FACILITY’ is closed to new replies.