Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 41 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

Loved the fab 5! I can’t wait to see what Kenny Bell has to offer this Season.I also loved how JW had Bell scouting. Saying it right now, we have our Payton Manning!

• Anonymous

Inactive

i liked the draft pick(bell) at the time but i wouldn’t put all my eggs in that basket.  I think WR is an underrated need on this team that not enough people are talking about.  I’d still try to draft one in the first 3-4 rds to groom behind V-jax.  If Bell plays well this year too then its a bonus. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

i liked the draft pick(bell) at the time but i wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket.  I think WR is an underrated need on this team that not enough people are talking about.  I'd still try to draft one in the first 3-4 rds to groom behind V-jax.  If Bell plays well this year too then its a bonus.

Isn't Mike Evans the guy we drafted to "groom behind V-Jax?"

• Anonymous

Inactive

They should know on Bell quickly. If he isn’t clearly better than Hump and Dye when the preseason starts, he isn’t the answer.  If the Bucs were all that confident in Kenny, I don’t think you would see Lou on the roster. It sure would be nice if Kenny is a legitimate NFL 3/4. Honestly, I was more excited about his selection than Kwon’s as they were happening. I really liked his film and his testing numbers for where we got him. Has always come across as a sharp kid too. I like what he says he is about in the media, but Gilkey kept it real as well. I love hearing that he plans on staying close to Jaboo this summer. *Another enjoyable FAB read Scott.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Bell but he was a 5th round pick who was extremely lucky to stay on the team. If he steps up that would be great but we need more competition in there. My big question about Bell coming out of college was his durability because of his thin frame. He has a lot to prove this year after looking lost in the pre-season and then getting injured. IMO he is a long shot to make the team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t expect Bell to be on the final roster, unless the Bucs get decimated by injuries at the WR position.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I definitely expect Bell to make the team and most likely be the 2016 slot WR. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wait, I thought this was Afro Thunder?24304824971_fd47092cfd_z.jpgvern_zpsd9bs57xm by anti java, on Flickr

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good read.The thing that most impressed me about Bell was watching him on the sidelines.  He looked like he had zen levels of focus.  His butt may not have been on the field, but his head sure was.  I'm looking forward to see what the kid can do going forward.I think he'll be similar to the Carolina version of Ginn.  A good returner and a solid #3 (maybe even a 2) with the speed to keep defenses honest. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure why so many are down on bell.  I think too many want instant impact, the guy barely got his feet wet.  I think he’ll impress.The biggie for me in the article was the TE Westbrook.  Definitely rooting for the guy - but his drops against LSU and fsu are burned in my memory.  Will be interested to see how he looks at TE, and how he is progressing.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure why so many are down on bell. 

I'm not sure why some people are so convinced that Bell is going to bring stability to the position. We have seen nothing, NOTHING, from him that even suggests that his skills will translate to the pros. And even if his skills do translate, there is no guarantee that he will return from injury as the same player he was when we drafted him. History also suggests that he could be injury prone.Bottom line is that it would be stupid for K&L to bet that Bell, Jackson, and Evans will have what it takes to get it done this year. Best to address the position in some fashion (preferably the draft) this offseason and supplement what we already have. Would be a pity to see the same (censored) show from our offense as we saw last season when Evans was our only "legit" on-field target.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Congratulations to Kim and Mark! You and Scott ARE Pewter Report and we appreciate it very much. Loved the Fab 5! Reading about players like Bell and Westbrook is what PR is all about. Same goes for hearing about Mike Biehl. Maybe the Buccaneers CAN go all defense in the draft although another offensive lineman or two would be nice. Great work, keeps the offseason bearable and continues to give me hope for the future…..starting in 2016!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure why so many are down on bell. 

I'm not sure why some people are so convinced that Bell is going to bring stability to the position. We have seen nothing, NOTHING, from him that even suggests that his skills will translate to the pros. And even if his skills do translate, there is no guarantee that he will return from injury as the same player he was when we drafted him. History also suggests that he could be injury prone.Bottom line is that it would be stupid for K&L to bet that Bell, Jackson, and Evans will have what it takes to get it done this year. Best to address the position in some fashion (preferably the draft) this offseason and supplement what we already have. Would be a pity to see the same (censored) show from our offense as we saw last season when Evans was our only "legit" on-field target.

i think there should be some middle ground.  I don’t think anyone should be convinced, but jeez, the team thought enough of the guy to IR him.  Winston thought enough of him to keep in the loop.But you have seen nothing about skills translating?  Can you elaborate on that?  Balls are still caught, WRs still run and block.  Skills translate.  And he had a hamstring issue.  Why do you think he won't recover from that?It would be a shame if our #2, #3, #4, and #5 recieving options get hurt again.  But bringing in a rookie won't really affect that, anyone can get injured and there are only so many roster spots.I think we should certainly bring some guys in, I just don't think it's a dire situation.  We are probably looking at a top 5 of Evans-vjax-Murphy-bell-humphries.  Shepard probably fits in as a ST guy.  Then you have spencer and dye who have been groomed for a year.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The middle ground is penciling him in as our opening day #4?  That is a really shakey 6 man receiver core. Behind the top 2, has to be among the worst in the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Behind the top 2, has to be among the worst in the NFL.

i think you overestimate other teams depth at WR.  The Broncos aren’t any better, nor are the panthers.  I doubt the pats are better, but I’ll give you the cards. 

• farzillo

Participant

i think you overestimate other teams depth at WR.  The Broncos aren't any better, nor are the panthers.  I doubt the pats are better, but I'll give you the cards.

I swear if you listen to some people on this board it's like we have one of those worst wr groups in the league. I think I'm just convinced most people just don't watch any other any other teams at all.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Bell but he was a 5th round pick who was extremely lucky to stay on the team. If he steps up that would be great but we need more competition in there. My big question about Bell coming out of college was his durability because of his thin frame. He has a lot to prove this year after looking lost in the pre-season and then getting injured. IMO he is a long shot to make the team.

Indeed.I also find it interesting that when coming to tampa, licht had suggested more speed. It was actually quite a big issue at the time. Well, ..what happened to that?They have plodding wideouts, and had given away the team's only means of "speed" in wright. I'd like to see what jameis does with his big arm and a speedy wideout in the pros. As of right now, this team has no speed. Suggesting otherwise is lipstick on a pig, unfortunately.

• Anonymous

Inactive

i think you overestimate other teams depth at WR.  The Broncos aren't any better, nor are the panthers.  I doubt the pats are better, but I'll give you the cards.

I swear if you listen to some people on this board it's like we have one of those worst wr groups in the league. I think I'm just convinced most people just don't watch any other any other teams at all.

Because we do. Behind our top 2 receivers is nothing. An oft injured veteran journeyman, a 5th round pick, an undrafted special teams receiver, and a couple undrafted second year players. We hope the undrafted guys develop, as does our redshirted 5th rounder, but that is NFL nothing on paper.  We are the Panthers 3-6, without the desperation veteran signings like Ginn.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Behind our top 2???  One led the league in drops and penalties, and the other, while a personal favorite of mine, has lost a more than a step or two.  Combine that with a TE with an allergy to pigskin and we have more of a pass catching problem than initially meets the eye.  I know it looks decent on paper, but….

• Anonymous

Inactive

I also find it interesting that when coming to tampa, licht had suggested more speed. It was actually quite a big issue at the time. Well, ..what happened to that?They have plodding wideouts, and had given away the team's only means of "speed" in wright. I'd like to see what jameis does with his big arm and a speedy wideout in the pros. As of right now, this team has no speed. Suggesting otherwise is lipstick on a pig, unfortunately.

im not sure if this is correct.  Speed is a tough one though, guys that know what they are doing can play fast.  Bell is fast.  Murphy is fast.  Humphries and dye are pretty fast.  Spencer and shepherd are pretty fast.  Will they all play fast?  I’m not sure.  There were plenty of times that Evans and dye got behind the defense and Winston just didn’t connect.ASJ and brate are pretty fast for TEs.  Brates 40 is a little slower than wright, but his shuttles and short times are just as fast if not faster.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I also find it interesting that when coming to tampa, licht had suggested more speed. It was actually quite a big issue at the time. Well, ..what happened to that?They have plodding wideouts, and had given away the team's only means of "speed" in wright. I'd like to see what jameis does with his big arm and a speedy wideout in the pros. As of right now, this team has no speed. Suggesting otherwise is lipstick on a pig, unfortunately.

im not sure if this is correct.  Speed is a tough one though, guys that know what they are doing can play fast.  Bell is fast.  Murphy is fast.  Humphries and dye are pretty fast.  Spencer and shepherd are pretty fast.  Will they all play fast?  I'm not sure.  There were plenty of times that Evans and dye got behind the defense and Winston just didn't connect.ASJ and brate are pretty fast for TEs.  Brates 40 is a little slower than wright, but his shuttles and short times are just as fast if not faster.

It depends on what we are wanting speed for imo.  We have deep threats. Mike Evans is one of the NFL's premier deep threats. He has great deep speed. He is extremely fast at his top end. Striding in the open field tracking footballs he leaves defenders. Strides away from them. Is Mike Evans a fast receiver?  Hell yes he is. Is he quick?  No. He is not fast in short spaces. To quickly gain seperation at the line on short routes. We don't have that kind of speed. Not with any polish.  Hump looked like he ran better routes than he is quick. I don't know if Bell is the kind of athlete who will be sudden in his movements. To convert that speed into getting open. Having a 4.20 40 guy to run 9s down the sideline isn't really football fast if he can't quickly break out of that route and keep defenders off balance.  I think we need better receivers, not really faster ones necessarily.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anything from Bell is gravy

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because we do. Behind our top 2 receivers is nothing. An oft injured veteran journeyman, a 5th round pick, an undrafted special teams receiver, and a couple undrafted second year players. We hope the undrafted guys develop, as does our redshirted 5th rounder, but that is NFL nothing on paper.  We are the Panthers 3-6, without the desperation veteran signings like Ginn.

Agree with Threadkiller on this. After the top 2, you've got a serviceable Louis Murphy and a bunch of scrubs. Hump and Dye are not NFL quality receivers. And the Bucs STILL don't have anyone who can take the top off a defense. Take one 80 yards to the house. I don't think they have had that since Joey Galloway. Every other team seems to have that guy at least.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with Threadkiller on this. After the top 2, you've got a serviceable Louis Murphy and a bunch of scrubs. Hump and Dye are not NFL quality receivers. And the Bucs STILL don't have anyone who can take the top off a defense. Take one 80 yards to the house. I don't think they have had that since Joey Galloway. Every other team seems to have that guy at least.

so we have 2 really good WRs, a serviceable #3 and then some scrubs – at least one with electronically clocked low 4.4 time.  How many teams have studs at WR4 and WR5?  Add to that it appears our offense likes to run multiple TE sets.I think as Winston progresses our WRs will look much better.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where our opinions differ, we have one of the best "take the top off the defense" receivers in the league imo.  The pure speed receiver isn't really that to me. Guys are going to shade pure speed deep. They always protect against that. Pure speed gets you the deep intermediate breaking routes imo. We saw it over and over with that Panthers kid Brown. Was he roasing Talib and Peterson deep?  Hell no, they had a cushion. But when Brown put his foot in the ground and broke off the route, he had a 5+ yard cushion of seperation.  If you want to challenge a defense deep, when you want to do it (not relying on blown assignment/coverage), Mike Evans is that beast.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It depends on what we are wanting speed for imo.  We have deep threats. Mike Evans is one of the NFL's premier deep threats. He has great deep speed. He is extremely fast at his top end. Striding in the open field tracking footballs he leaves defenders. Strides away from them. Is Mike Evans a fast receiver?  Hell yes he is. Is he quick?  No. He is not fast in short spaces. To quickly gain seperation at the line on short routes. We don't have that kind of speed. Not with any polish.  Hump looked like he ran better routes than he is quick. I don't know if Bell is the kind of athlete who will be sudden in his movements. To convert that speed into getting open. Having a 4.20 40 guy to run 9s down the sideline isn't really football fast if he can't quickly break out of that route and keep defenders off balance.  I think we need better receivers, not really faster ones necessarily.

agree with all of this.  We do give up quickness for size.  The question is do our smaller receivers need more polish, and more time with Winston?  Or do we need more elite WRs?I think with a little more polish, guys like hump and maybe dye will appear much quicker, especially as they gain a better relationship with Winston.I'm not against adding another WR - I just don't think it's a big need.  I'd rather grab a guy like Riley Cooper (assuming he isn't hated) than use a high pick on another WR.  Keep developing bell, Shepard, hump and dye.  If they don't progress this year, then use a quality resource in replacing vjax next season.

• Anonymous

Inactive

so we have 2 really good WRs, a serviceable #3 and then some scrubs - at least one with electronically clocked low 4.4 time.  How many teams have studs at WR4 and WR5?  Add to that it appears our offense likes to run multiple TE sets.I think as Winston progresses our WRs will look much better.

It's not about studs @ 4 and 5 as much as players with the potential to develop into 2's and 3's in a season or two. If we are using 2 slots on developmental guys and another for a special teamer. I'm not sure Hump and Dye are that. Certainly not guys I am confident enough in to pencil them in as opening week 53s. As well as a #3 coming off serious injury and a second consecutive injury plagued season. For sure improving quarterback play will make any receiver we use look better.

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree with all of this.  We do give up quickness for size.  The question is do our smaller receivers need more polish, and more time with Winston?  Or do we need more elite WRs?I think with a little more polish, guys like hump and maybe dye will appear much quicker, especially as they gain a better relationship with Winston.I'm not against adding another WR - I just don't think it's a big need.  I'd rather grab a guy like Riley Cooper (assuming he isn't hated) than use a high pick on another WR.  Keep developing bell, Shepard, hump and dye.  If they don't progress this year, then use a quality resource in replacing vjax next season.

I would be very content adding a Cooper type vet and seeing if BPA nets us one. Would love to draft Vince's replacement this draft, but that is well behind the lines on the priority scale.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not about studs @ 4 and 5 as much as players with the potential to develop into 2's and 3's in a season or two. If we are using 2 slots on developmental guys and another for a special teamer. I'm not sure Hump and Dye are that. Certainly not guys I am confident enough in to pencil them in as opening week 53s. As well as a #3 coming off serious injury and a second consecutive injury plagued season.

realistically, one of your spots will be a ST, whether it’s a gunner or a returner.  One guy will probably be a small slot guy.  I just think it's a pretty high standard to think your depth guys will have 1/2 potential.  Would be great if they did, just a lot to ask.  I think hump could certainly turn into a walker/Edelman type of player.  I've read here that the team thinks he might have the best hands on the team?  Dye and spencer are much more long shots.  Bell certainly has the attributes of potential.  Murphy, while been injured, is a solid vet.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not about studs @ 4 and 5 as much as players with the potential to develop into 2's and 3's in a season or two. If we are using 2 slots on developmental guys and another for a special teamer. I'm not sure Hump and Dye are that. Certainly not guys I am confident enough in to pencil them in as opening week 53s. As well as a #3 coming off serious injury and a second consecutive injury plagued season.

realistically, one of your spots will be a ST, whether it's a gunner or a returner.  One guy will probably be a small slot guy.  I just think it's a pretty high standard to think your depth guys will have 1/2 potential.  Would be great if they did, just a lot to ask.  I think hump could certainly turn into a walker/Edelman type of player.  I've read here that the team thinks he might have the best hands on the team?  Dye and spencer are much more long shots.  Bell certainly has the attributes of potential.  Murphy, while been injured, is a solid vet.

I would guess Murphy would be amongst the bottom #3 receivers for me league wide. Would have to go roster by roster. I consider him extremely weak/suspect in that role. I said developing into 2/3s. All our receivers should have #3 potential.Hump's hands do seem reliable, and he seems like a tough little mother fucker. That is a really tough projection though.  Can he ever get open against #1/#2 corners?  Idk. Julian and Wes do. Seems like what Hump got for us was schemed against the other team's last corner. We were doing that because we had so few weapons available last season imo. We'd have to go roster by roster. The 5/6 developmental guys on Denver's roster are an undrafted rookie and 2nd round draft pick. I don't mind having a developmental guy at all. I'm just not crazy about 2 of them along with a dedicated special teamer and a weak (availability) #3. 

• farzillo

Participant

So tell me 25 other teams that have a better 3-5 than we do? Most teams 3-5 aren't all that good. That is why they are a 3-5 receiver. I am not saying we have one of the best but were definitely not in the bottom 5 in the league. Also the knock of Evans is rather silly. He had one game where he had 6 drops and then 5 the other 12 games he played in. The drops thing is way overblown.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would guess Murphy would be amongst the bottom #3 receivers for me league wide. Would have to go roster by roster. I consider him extremely weak/suspect in that role. I said developing into 2/3s. All our receivers should have #3 potential.Hump's hands do seem reliable, and he seems like a tough little mother (censored)er. That is a really tough projection though.  Can he ever get open against #1/#2 corners?  Idk. Julian and Wes do. Seems like what Hump got for us was schemed against the other team's last corner. We were doing that because we had so few weapons available last season imo. We'd have to go roster by roster. The 5/6 developmental guys on Denver's roster are an undrafted rookie and 2nd round draft pick. I don't mind having a developmental guy at all. I'm just not crazy about 2 of them along with a dedicated special teamer and a weak (availability) #3.

can hump and dye progress?  That’s the question.  Welker didn’t even play his rookie year and had 30 catches his second year.  Edelman had about 70 catches over his first 4 years combined.  Hump I think did pretty well for year 1.  But yeah, no one knows what will happen.  I just am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.Murphy is topped out, but he does have good speed, can play all the positions, and is a reliable vet.I just think if we upgrade the lines and Winston progresses that WR will not be a worry.Just going off denvers roster - Norwood and fowler?  I have no idea about those guys.  The guy they did spend a high pick on has 8 catches over 2 seasons.  And that is with a HOF guy throwing the ball.  When Winston is hitting these guys on their breaks with a clean pocket I think our depth guys quickness will look much improved.  (In addition to them improving routes and defense recognition)

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would be very content adding a Cooper type vet and seeing if BPA nets us one. Would love to draft Vince's replacement this draft, but that is well behind the lines on the priority scale.

I am surprised you guys want to add that racist idiot to our roster.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am not bigoted in my desire to accumulate all manor of damaged people, who play football well, at a discount. I’m not sure if there is a scum bag tipping point for a football roster. Circumstantial evidence indicates a football roster can house a good number of them and still be very successful on the field. Which is my only real concern honestly.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am not bigoted in my desire to accumulate all manor of damaged people, who play football well, at a discount. I'm not sure if there is a scum bag tipping point for a football roster. Circumstantial evidence indicates a football roster can house a good number of them and still be very successful on the field. Which is my only real concern honestly.

Fair point, but I view racism totally different than getting hooked on drugs, or getting a DUI. Or even domestic abuse. I believe you can overcome all those things with education and enlightenment. But racism is deep, deep in your soul. A grown man playing ball in the NFL, throwing the N word around is unacceptable to me. Sure he will have his agent issue a hundred press releases about how he has grown from the experience. Ya right.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am surprised you guys want to add that racist idiot to our roster.

if he can play, and the team is for it, I got no problem with it. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fair point, but I view racism totally different than getting hooked on drugs, or getting a DUI. Or even domestic abuse. I believe you can overcome all those things with education and enlightenment. But racism is deep, deep in your soul. A grown man playing ball in the NFL, throwing the N word around is unacceptable to me. Sure he will have his agent issue a hundred press releases about how he has grown from the experience. Ya right.

racism isn’t a good topic for a message board, but who’s really to say Cooper is a racist because of a word?  He’s been in locker rooms and teammates, arm in arm with black guys his entire life. if he flys with Winston add him.  If Winston is against it, pass.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Arizona’s, and particularly Bruce Arians’ approach of drafting a speed WR in the middle rounds almost every year. It just seems to be great value in those rounds.  This year they drafted JJ Nelson even though they already had Fitgerald, Michael Floyd, and John Brown, and he really helped put their offense over the top. Even if the Bucs believe in Bell, I’d still like to see them use a mid round pick at WR.

• farzillo

Participant

racism isn't a good topic for a message board, but who's really to say Cooper is a racist because of a word?  He's been in locker rooms and teammates, arm in arm with black guys his entire life. if he flys with Winston add him.  If Winston is against it, pass.

I just don't think he's actually a very good receiver.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please get a returner.  In addition to Bell.  In this years draft.It's kinda weird for this team to have depth and talent...  is that just me?

• Anonymous

Inactive

realistically, one of your spots will be a ST, whether it's a gunner or a returner.  One guy will probably be a small slot guy.  I just think it's a pretty high standard to think your depth guys will have 1/2 potential.  Would be great if they did, just a lot to ask.  I think hump could certainly turn into a walker/Edelman type of player.  I've read here that the team thinks he might have the best hands on the team?  Dye and spencer are much more long shots.  Bell certainly has the attributes of potential.  Murphy, while been injured, is a solid vet.

This is the red board. There are posters here that honestly expect all pros at every position on the lines and apparently depth that should be expected to start elsewhere. It's just not realistic. There are going to be average players at starting positions on every team and average/below average depth.. its WHY THEY ARE "DEPTH".

Viewing 41 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.