SR’s FAB 5: BUCS FINALLY PLAN TO BEAT THE HEAT; VITALE HELPS DIVERSIFY OFFENSE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Scott Reynolds
    Keymaster

https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-bucs-finally-plan-to-beat-the-heat-vitale-helps-diversify-offense/

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good stuff SR.Really excited to see what Vitale can do in this offense. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think the upbeat atmosphere is really going to pay dividends.  When people like doing their work, they tend to do it just a little better.  And I can certainly say it’s rubbing off on fans too.  I think I’m still being realistic and know that playoffs are a long shot, but I also think this team will be in every game and actually win some that were a sure fire loss last year. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

3 QB’s are a lock…  I like the sound of that…I also can appreciate the approach with a multitude a capable pass catchers, not just wide outs.Been reading some good things/observations about the defense - I'm excited to see what comes.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

One could argue that schiano and lovie wore out their players before games ever got started. ..their record does look like a wore out team.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I always thought the heat argument made no sense when you see how they couldn’t keep up a momentum through the end of the season.May or may not work - but I'm all about watching the results.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I always thought the heat argument made no sense when you see how they couldn't keep up a momentum through the end of the season.May or may not work - but I'm all about watching the results.

Trust me on this one.Bodies can handle the heat, but long exposures to it do not make someone become immune.Ive worked out in the sun nearly every day of my life, and it doesnt get any easier. Its HOW you handle the heat. What you eat at lunch, beforehand, how you treat your body, etc.I think a lot of folks do not understand this, and they suffer for it. Doing long hours in the sun, ive learned tiny tricks that help. Shade when you can, eat fruits, always supply salt after long sweats/burns, and make sure there is plenty of water...not gatorade...water. What you dont get from gatorade, you will get with the fruits.No schiano halftime meals (subs). Heavy food will make you heavy, and cause your body to use more energy in the digestion of it. All "big" meals should be directly after.(Learned those tricks from landscapers) I know everyone wants to burn off calories, but in florida, it is overkill. We all burn up so much more energy here than most other places. Rest and fluids are key, not overexerting the body.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice work Scott!Looking forward to an exciting season.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been a buc fan from the beginning of that very first season and even though I don’t live in Tampa anymore they are the only team I follow. I’m also a very optimistic guy and I always look at things as the glass being half-full. That being said, the run we have had since gruden left and in particular the extremely poor coaching we have had has worn on me. Schiano and Lovie had me so frustrated that for the first time in forever I was actually considering not following the bucs anymore. I would have still been a fan, but I would have stopped spending so much time keeping up with them.  As a lifelong coach myself I had completely lost faith in the debacle that the previous two coaches had subjected our beloved franchise too. They were so uninspiring as to make someone just lose interest. I was at my lowest point last year and another year of Lovie would have been unbearable, BUT what a difference a year can make.I love the direction of our team and especially to be able to finally have a franchise quarterback for the first time in forever. Some might not be sold yet, but I am. I love our youth all across the board and that bodes so well for our future as these guys grow together through battles and become closer and their best is in front of them. And I said this in another thread that this is our best coaching staff ever and some rightly called me out on that because of grudens staff and dungys staff had some good coaches. But it doesn't have to be the best ever but I believe it is still one of our best coaching staffs we have ever had. It is such a solid group of coaches and I have complete confidence in our coaches and our organization from top to bottom and I am pumped about our future as a team. It doesn't even matter that we win x number of games because I know we are going to be well coached and in every game and with our young roster I know our future is bright. What a difference a year makes. Go Bucs!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Kudos to SR about the practicing-in-the-heat point – he said the same thing this time last year:https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-alstott-has-hall-of-fame-stats-bucs-need-indoor-practice-facility/FAB 2. THE BUCS’ USING THE HEAT AS AN ADVANTAGE IS SIMPLY A MYTHIt’s been talked about for quite some time, and now the Buccaneers may be on the cusp of finally building an indoor practice facility. Whether it’s the afternoon thunderstorms or the sweltering mid-day heat, the weather in August and September has stymied Tampa Bay over the past decade and contributed to the team’s notoriously slow starts.The last five Tampa Bay head coaches – Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, Raheem Morris, Greg Schiano and Lovie Smith – have all publicly stated that the Bucs need to use the heat to their advantage, especially when northern teams from cooler climates travel to hot and humid Raymond James Stadium in the month of September. So the Bucs practice in the extreme conditions to be better prepared for it – at least that’s how the theory goes.Yet Tampa Bay’s record in the month of September doesn’t show an advantage for the Buccaneers at all. In the last 20 years dating back to 1995, which encompasses the Dungy and Gruden eras as well as the Morris, Schiano and Smith eras, Tampa Bay has posted a 34-39 record in the month of September, including a 16-20 mark at home in the month of September.From 1995 until 2008, which was the last year of Gruden’s tenure in Tampa Bay, the Bucs were only 28-24 in the month of September, including a 13-11 mark at home during that span. Keep in mind that the Bucs went to the playoffs in eight of those 14 seasons.Over the last six years, the Bucs’ record in September is a paltry 6-15, including a dismal 3-9 record at home in the first month of season. In fact over the past 20 seasons, Tampa Bay has had a losing record at home in the month of September seven times and a winning record in September just five times. The rest of the time the Bucs have gone 1-1 at home during the initial month of the schedule.The “use the heat to our advantage” mantra might be a good psychological message to send to the Bucs to help them weather training camp, but the statistics show it’s simply a myth. The heat in the month of September does not help Tampa Bay and give it a home-field advantage – even when the Bucs field good teams as they did in the late 1990s and early 2000s.In fact, practicing in the brutal heat and humidity nearly every day in August might have adverse conditions on the Buccaneers. Tampa Bay may in fact be more tired and fatigued by the end of the season as a result.Since the Dungy years when the Bucs owned the month of December, going 16-8 with a 13-1 record at home from 1996-2001, Tampa Bay has struggled mightily in the final month of the season. From 2002-14, the Bucs are 18-39 in the month of December, including a disastrous 7-19 mark at Raymond James Stadium.In fact, the Bucs have had one winning record in the month of December – a 3-1 mark in 2005 – since going 3-2 in 2002, which was the year Tampa Bay won the Super Bowl. Since 2004, the Bucs have had eight losing records in December. Since 2008, Tampa Bay is 2-12 at home in the final month of the season.Granted, the talent on the team has been poor since Gruden was fired after the 2008 season, but it just seems like the Bucs have run out of gas in December. ?Even when Tampa Bay has played its regular season finale in the first week of January the results have been just as bad. The Bucs are 2-4 in regular season games in January with a 1-2 mark at home and a 1-2 mark on the road.Could the poor starts in the month of September and the poor finishes in the month of December be attributed to too much practicing in the brutal Florida summer climate? It’s hard to prove without a doubt, but I’m guessing that’s the case.Too many teams have traveled south to Tampa in September and December over the past two decades, sucked it up in the heat for three hours, beaten the Bucs and then traveled back home to cooler climates to suggest that the Bucs have any real home-field advantage in the heat. It’s time for the Glazers to build an indoor practice bubble at One Buccaneer Place and give the team a reprieve from the unrelenting heat and humidity once or twice a week in an effort for the Bucs to stay fresher throughout the season.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The heat is an advantage. I’ve watched plenty of games where opposing players have to head to the locker room for an IVOur September record has sucked because the team has sucked. Nothing less, nothing more. Saying something is an advantage doesn't guarentee victory. Flawed logic on SR'S part

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The heat is an advantage. I've watched plenty of games where opposing players have to head to the locker room for an IVOur September record has sucked because the team has sucked. Nothing less, nothing more. Saying something is an advantage doesn't guarentee victory. Flawed logic on SR'S part

I have to agree with SR. Unless you have lived through training camp conditions in Tampa you have no idea how much it drains the players energy. This definitely contributes to our slow starts if you ask me. The heat is only an advantage if your players are in better condition than the other team. Practicing in the heat does not improve conditioning, it actually hurts your conditioning. That is why that strategy has been failing.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Savvy move for a first-year head coach to decide to do something about practicing when it’s somewhat cooler. Not only helps players physically but he wins their hearts as well. Now that’s what a  “players coach” does! Also think Vitale will be a weapon on offense this year that may pay off big. Gonna be hard to cover everybody for once and Koetter will think of ways to get all involved. Excited to see what he he has in store this season! Another great job Scott!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does the OP ignore the talent/coaching level  when putting out all the stat losses beacuse of the heat? IMO, It is not the weather only as is being implied. Not by a long shot.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why does the OP ignore the talent/coaching level  when putting out all the stat losses beacuse of the heat? IMO, It is not the weather only as is being implied. Not by a long shot.

Exactly

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.